PDA

View Full Version : Bush reveals the best moment of his presidency...

Taco John
05-07-2006, 11:06 PM
...and it's a doozy.

Apparently the best moment of his presidency is when he caught a big fish in his own private lake during a vacation. I can't believe this dope. Any president with real skill or ability would be able to take that question and turn it into an answer that underlines whatever legacy he might have... Tax cuts. Toppelling Saddaam... Winning re-election. Not this phoney. This empty suit says it was the day he caught a 7 pound fish.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bush's best moment in office? Reeling in big perch
Sun May 7, 2006 11:01 AM BST

BERLIN (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush told a German newspaper his best moment in more than five years in office was catching a big perch in his own lake.

"You know, I've experienced many great moments and it's hard to name the best," Bush told weekly Bild am Sonntag when asked about his high point since becoming president in January 2001.

"I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5 pound (3.402 kilos) perch in my lake," he told the newspaper in an interview published on Sunday.

Bush said the worst moment was September 11 when hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Centre in New York and the Pentagon in Washington.

"In such a situation it takes a while before one understands what is happening," Bush said. "I would say that this was the hardest moment, once I had the real picture before my eyes."

Because Bild could not immediately furnish English quotes, Bush's comments were translated from the German. The paper said the White House planned to release an authorised English version of the interview on Monday.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey, to be fair, it probably was his best moment.

jAZ
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
O... M... G...

banyon
05-07-2006, 11:29 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140397

NewChief
05-08-2006, 06:17 AM
In all honesty, if he really caught a 7.5 lb. perch, that's pretty nuts. I'm thinking something must have gotten screwed in translation. Or maybe he has his pond stocked with tilapia, though I didn't know they got that big either.

Adept Havelock
05-08-2006, 07:00 AM
I wonder if FDR would have considered the high point of his presidency soaking for a while in the Springs at Warm Springs, ALA. in the years before WW2?

Or if JFK considered the highest point of his presidency banging Marilyn Monroe? (A high point in life, most assuredly :thumb:

Or If Nixon thought his photo-op "walk in the woods" after creating the "Cabinet Committee on the Environment" and the "Citizens' Advisory Committee on Environmental Quality" his highest point?

Maybe Washington thought the high point of his Presidency was when he spent a little time at Mt. Vernon working at his distillery and other manufacturies?

Somehow, I kind of doubt it.

Of course, George doesn't have much else to be proud of, IMO. ;)

the Talking Can
05-08-2006, 08:04 AM
well, if you can't catch Osama....

Radar Chief
05-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Hey, what’cha guys bitch’n ‘bout? At least at that moment he wasn’t figure’n out more ways to waste our tax $$$. :shrug:
I’d agree, it probably was a highpoint in’is presidency. ;)

SBK
05-08-2006, 11:50 AM
ROFL

NewChief
05-08-2006, 11:55 AM
The best part is that he probably gave it to his dog to eat.

I haven't seen the actual show, but someone was telling me about W. being on a fishing show with Bill Dance or someone. Every bass they caught, W. threw to his dog to eat. The host was, evidently, a little taken aback since catch and release has become pretty common even among the glitter boat crowd.

I'd love to find a copy of that show and verify that is what really happened.

Taco John
05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Apparently, Bush got the intelligence on this one wrong. The fish Bush caught would amount to the largest recorded Perch ever, double the size of the recorded record holder:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2006/031606a.html

Harford County Yellow Perch Sets World Record
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last weekend, Phil Deer, Jr. of Delta, Pennsylvania caught a record setting yellow perch in a pond in Harford County. The perch is the largest ever caught in Maryland and the fourth largest on record in the world. DNR confirmed the perch’s size as 3 pounds, 5 ounces and 16 ¼ inches long, which eclipsed the Maryland record of 2 pounds 6.75 ounces set at Deep Creek Lake in 2003. Worldwide, Deer’s fish places behind a 4 pound, 3 ounce perch caught in New Jersey in 1865; a 3 pound, 12 ounce perch caught in Michigan in 1947; and a 3 pound, 8 ounce perch caught in New York in 1982. All records are for the fresh water division.

-------------------------------------------------
March 16, 2006

Boozer
05-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Apparently, Bush got the intelligence on this one wrong. The fish Bush caught would amount to the largest recorded Perch ever, double the size of the recorded record holder:

Perch, carp, whatever.

Hydrae
05-08-2006, 02:20 PM
So are you saying Bush is lying about this too? :shrug:

Boozer
05-08-2006, 02:21 PM
So are you saying Bush is lying about this too? :shrug:

Nah. And GoChiefs has a really hot girlfriend, but you can't meet her right now because she lives in Canada.

Radar Chief
05-08-2006, 02:21 PM

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2006/031606a.html

Harford County Yellow Perch Sets World Record
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last weekend, Phil Deer, Jr. of Delta, Pennsylvania caught a record setting yellow perch in a pond in Harford County. The perch is the largest ever caught in Maryland and the fourth largest on record in the world. DNR confirmed the perch’s size as 3 pounds, 5 ounces and 16 ¼ inches long, which eclipsed the Maryland record of 2 pounds 6.75 ounces set at Deep Creek Lake in 2003. Worldwide, Deer’s fish places behind a 4 pound, 3 ounce perch caught in New Jersey in 1865; a 3 pound, 12 ounce perch caught in Michigan in 1947; and a 3 pound, 8 ounce perch caught in New York in 1982. All records are for the fresh water division.

-------------------------------------------------
March 16, 2006

Yea, I saw that this morning when I did a quick search on record perch. Problem is, though, that Texas has “Nile Perch” and apparently the record for one of those is over 12#’s.

Hydrae
05-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Yea, I saw that this morning when I did a quick search on record perch. Problem is, though, that Texas has “Nile Perch” and apparently the record for one of those is over 12#’s.

Oh, I get it, it is not a lie, it is a question of the definition of "perch." :)

RedDread
05-08-2006, 02:26 PM
http://greatmoments.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

Boozer
05-08-2006, 02:29 PM

"Nile Perch?" Sounds pretty wicked.

SBK
05-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Seriously, this quote has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard of a president saying....

Radar Chief
05-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Oh, I get it, it is not a lie, it is a question of the definition of "perch." :)

:shrug: Depends on if you think Bush actually knows there’s a difference or not. ;)

NewChief
05-08-2006, 02:40 PM
:shrug: Depends on if you think Bush actually knows there’s a difference or not. ;)

He feeds 'em all to Barney anyway. Perch, carp, trout, snail darter...Barney likes 'em all.

Radar Chief
05-08-2006, 02:41 PM
"Nile Perch?" Sounds pretty wicked.

Hell, a ½# perch fights like a fish 10X it’s size so yea a 12#er would be pretty freak’n wicked.

Radar Chief
05-08-2006, 02:43 PM
He feeds 'em all to Barney anyway. Perch, carp, trout, snail darter...Barney likes 'em all.

And can you imagine Barneys breath? ROFL

Boozer
05-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Hell, a ½# perch fights like a fish 10X it’s size so yea a 12#er would be pretty freak’n wicked.

No kidding. I caught a 1 lb. perch once on some 4 lb test. That was, shall we say, a little bit of work. :eek:

NewChief
05-08-2006, 02:45 PM

Yeah, I'm still curious about this quote, whether the perch as lost in translation or whether that's what Bush really said. Maybe he does have nile perch stocked. I mean, my opinion of W's intelligence is pretty low, but I'm pretty sure he knows the difference between a perch and a bass.

Boozer
05-08-2006, 02:48 PM

Looks like the two kinds aren't related by anything more than the name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perch_%28disambiguation%29

NewChief
05-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I want to catch one:
http://www.extreme-safari.com/images/Nile%20Perch%20-%20Murchison%20Falls%202%20(low%20res).jpg

Radar Chief
05-08-2006, 02:54 PM
I want to catch one:
http://www.extreme-safari.com/images/Nile%20Perch%20-%20Murchison%20Falls%202%20(low%20res).jpg

That’s a Nile Perch? Damn! :eek:

Braincase
05-08-2006, 03:22 PM
The whole fishing and Osama thing reveal the inner workings of the Presidential mind... actually, with Osama, he did "catch and release"...

CHIEF4EVER
05-08-2006, 03:37 PM
The whole fishing and Osama thing reveal the inner workings of the Presidential mind... actually, with Osama, he did "catch and release"...

Nah, you got Dubya confused with Bubba. Wait, Bubba didn't "catch" and release either. He just turned down the offer to take him with no work at all.

Boozer
05-08-2006, 04:00 PM
We made it to thirty posts before a "But Clinton." We're getting better.

Logical
05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
That’s a Nile Perch? Damn! :eek:

If I read that Wikpedia article correctly the Nile Perch can reach 440 lbs. Is mainly found in Africa and is very agressive killing off most other species of fish. Somehow I doubt that is what is stocked in Bush's pond. I am guessing this is some sort of error.

picasso
05-08-2006, 04:27 PM
If I read that Wikpedia article correctly the Nile Perch can reach 440 lbs. Is mainly found in Africa and is very agressive killing off most other species of fish. Somehow I doubt that is what is stocked in Bush's pond. I am guessing this is some sort of error.

Exactly!!!
This dudes a genious and just gave the fisherman vote to the Dems.
:rolleyes:

Radar Chief
05-08-2006, 04:28 PM

440 lbs? That’s nothing, here’s a dude that had a run in with a real (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140451) fish. ;)

Boozer
05-08-2006, 04:37 PM
440 lbs? That’s nothing, here’s a dude that had a run in with a real (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140451) fish. ;)

Or mammal. ;)

Adept Havelock
05-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Nah. And GoChiefs has a really hot girlfriend, but you can't meet her right now because she lives in Canada.

Well, Boozer's trying to tell me that in addition to the number of girls in the Niagra Falls area, GoChiefs and Badgirl (or was it tubgirl?) are currently riding the hobby horse?[/hughes]

Radar Chief
05-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Or mammal. ;)

Fish, mammal, whatever. ;) ROFL

Ugly Duck
05-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Might not be a lie - one was found in Texas in 1990. From the USGS Non-indigenous Aquatic Species website:

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/XIMAGESERVERX/2005/20051108153234.bmp

Scientists from Texas travelled to Tanzania in 1974-1975 to investigate the introduction potential of Lates spp. into Texas reservoirs (Thompson et al. 1977). Temperature tolerance and trophic dynamics were studied for three species (L. angustifrons, L. microlepis and L. mariae). Subsequently, several individuals of these three species were shipped to Heart of the Hills Research Station (HOHRS) in Ingram, Texas in 1975 (Rutledge and Lyons 1976). Also in 1975, Nile perch (L. niloticus) were transferred from Lake Turkana, Kenya, to HOHRS. All fishes were held in indoor, closed-circulating systems (Rutledge and Lyons 1976).

From 1978 to 1985, Lates spp. were released into various Texas reservoirs (Howells and Garrett 1992). Almost 70,000 Lates sp. larvae were stocked into Victor Braunig (Bexar Co.), Coleto Creek (Goliad Co.) and Fairfield (Freestone Co.) reservoirs between 1978 and 1984. In 1985, two L. angustifrons, six L. mariae and six L. niloticus were released into Smithers Reservoir (Ft. Bend Co.). It was thought that the fishes would provide good sportfishing opportunities as well as reduce populations of "rough" fishes (e.g., Cyprinus carpio, Dorosoma cepedianum, Ictiobus bubalis, Carpiodes carpio) through predation (Thompson et al. 1977). It is thought that the introductions were relatively unsuccessful and that the introduced Lates spp. have since been extirpated (Howells and Garrett 1992; Clugston 1990; Texas Parks and Wildlife News 1993).

One individual (115.5 cm, 27.2 kg) was collected from Smithers Reservoir in January 1990 (Howells and Garrett 1992). It is believed that this fish died due to cold water temperatures.

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=412

Radar Chief
05-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Might not be a lie - one was found in Texas in 1990. From the USGS Non-indigenous Aquatic Species website:

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/XIMAGESERVERX/2005/20051108153234.bmp

Scientists from Texas travelled to Tanzania in 1974-1975 to investigate the introduction potential of Lates spp. into Texas reservoirs (Thompson et al. 1977). Temperature tolerance and trophic dynamics were studied for three species (L. angustifrons, L. microlepis and L. mariae). Subsequently, several individuals of these three species were shipped to Heart of the Hills Research Station (HOHRS) in Ingram, Texas in 1975 (Rutledge and Lyons 1976). Also in 1975, Nile perch (L. niloticus) were transferred from Lake Turkana, Kenya, to HOHRS. All fishes were held in indoor, closed-circulating systems (Rutledge and Lyons 1976).

From 1978 to 1985, Lates spp. were released into various Texas reservoirs (Howells and Garrett 1992). Almost 70,000 Lates sp. larvae were stocked into Victor Braunig (Bexar Co.), Coleto Creek (Goliad Co.) and Fairfield (Freestone Co.) reservoirs between 1978 and 1984. In 1985, two L. angustifrons, six L. mariae and six L. niloticus were released into Smithers Reservoir (Ft. Bend Co.). It was thought that the fishes would provide good sportfishing opportunities as well as reduce populations of "rough" fishes (e.g., Cyprinus carpio, Dorosoma cepedianum, Ictiobus bubalis, Carpiodes carpio) through predation (Thompson et al. 1977). It is thought that the introductions were relatively unsuccessful and that the introduced Lates spp. have since been extirpated (Howells and Garrett 1992; Clugston 1990; Texas Parks and Wildlife News 1993).

One individual (115.5 cm, 27.2 kg) was collected from Smithers Reservoir in January 1990 (Howells and Garrett 1992). It is believed that this fish died due to cold water temperatures.

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=412

:shrug: (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/programs/fishrecords/freshwater/fwrr.phtml) The TX record Nile Perch of 12.6 lbs was caught in 2-1-80 at Braunig Lake by Mike Saldivar.

PunkinDrublic
05-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I thought it would be playing the fiddle while New Orleans drowned.

Baby Lee
05-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Fish, mammal, whatever. ;) ROFL
Wha'zat a Titleist? ROFL

Ugly Duck
05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
The TX record Nile Perch of 12.6 lbs was caught in 2-1-80 at Braunig Lake by Mike Saldivar.The 50-pounder in 1990 died cuz the water was too cold, so its not an angling record. Around 1993, they figured that the introduction didn't take and they had all perished by that time. Its not impossible that Bush caught an unforseen straggler a decade or so later.