PDA

View Full Version : Svitek and NFLE in week 8

Wilson8
05-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Will Svitek played much better this week against the Rhine Fire than he did the previous week against Cologne. No sacks and no penalties on him. The defensive end that he matched up against for most of the game was Derek Strong, 6’3” 261 lbs from Illinois. Svitek pretty much shut him down. Strong did beat Svitek once to get to the passer and made the QB throw the ball away. Another time Svitek let up on his block and Strong got a tackle down field. Svitek’s team rushed for over 200 yards. Frankfurt’s leading rusher, Roger Robinson, has played in 7 of 8 games and has 833 yards and a 5.3 yard average. Besides Svitek at left tackle they have Rob Droege (Missouri/Ravens) at right tackle, Isaac Snell (Another former defender being converted to an offensive lineman by the Jets) at left guard, Charles Missant (W Michigan/Jets) at center, and a couple of National players that work the right guard position. They make up a pretty good offensive line. Their team is 6-2 and look to be headed for the championship game. I think they need to win next week to secure the championship game.

The color commentator, I think Brian Baldinger, for the game had several good things to say about Will Svitek. At one time saying he should have a long career in the NFL. Finally the other announcer asked if he had a Man Crush on Svitek. Not the kind of comments you normally hear in a regular CBS NFL broadcast.

Safety/CB Gabriel Helms and DT/DE Zach Ville, both came into the game for the Rhine Fire, but did not do much of note. Helms had one tackle and Ville had none.

QB James Kilians had no stats. He did enter the game but that was about all.

DTs Arrion Dixon – 1 tackle and Eddie Freeman had 2 tackles.

WR Nate Curry had 4 catches and 46 yards.

Saw that CB Justin Perkins had 5 tackles and a fumble recovery in his game. Have any of you watched him play and what do you think of him as a cornerback?

Last Item –
LB Kris Griffin had 2 tackles. Did not see him play today but when I have he seems to have a few good moments but disappears at times during the game. I think Nick Reid might be battling Griffin for that 6th or 7th LB spot for the Chiefs.

From KFFL
Chiefs | Peterson thinks N. Reid can make final roster
Sun, 7 May 2006 12:35:04 -0700
Kurt Caywood, of the Topeka Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson said LB Nick Reid has a great chance to make it with the team. Peterson added, "I like a lot about Nick Reid. He's an outstanding linebacker. He's instinctive, and he's a playmaker. Without question, Nick has an outstanding chance possibly to be a Kansas City Chiefs 53-man roster guy."

OnTheWarpath58
05-07-2006, 10:19 PM
From KFFL
Kurt Caywood, of the Topeka Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson said LB Nick Reid has a great chance to make it with the team. Peterson added, "I like a lot about Nick Reid. He's an outstanding linebacker. He's instinctive, and he's a playmaker. Without question, Nick has an outstanding chance possibly to be a Kansas City Chiefs 53-man roster guy."

An outstanding chance possibly?

A ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one.

Guess CP can't just come out and say Reid's just a camp body....

Side note: Good info on Svitek. Thanks!

Count Zarth
05-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Ooh, I need to update my thread. Thanks.

Wilson8
05-07-2006, 10:27 PM
I’ve been trying to watch Svitek’s games because I think he can be a good backup for Roaf for next season.

Wilson8
05-07-2006, 10:32 PM
I heard an interview with Nick Reid the other morning on the radio. He said he had several teams call him within a few minutes of the draft being over and wanted him to sign. He preferred playing for the Chiefs. I like the signing and I hope that it works out.

picasso
05-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Svitek sucks. I don't know what the big deal is about this guy and why is getting talked up so much. I see him getting his ass kicked all the time, whiffin on guys, missing the lead block ect.. Hell in the game on Saturday he was stretched out and missed both blocks on the DE and the OLB that was blitzing on a run play in his direction with a lose of yards. Looks like a Jordan Black, I think he sucks ass!!

Moooo
05-07-2006, 11:25 PM
I hear this stuff, I see guys owning over there, and it makes me wish that their performance over there was more correlative to their performance in the NFL. If the playing level was one step higher (like second-stringers, and not people trying to make the team), I would invest more into it.

I lost all faith in NFLE when I saw Akili Smith backing for a team a year or two ago. I guess the Bucs thought he was worth a shot at NFLE...he got picked off.

Moooo

Wilson8
05-08-2006, 05:18 AM
There is no doubt there is a big difference between doing well in NFL Europe and doing well back in the NFL. Svitek is doing well in Europe though. If a player can not succeed there they will not make it back here. Until two weeks ago I had not seen Svitek play against anyone that challenged him. He does not get beat to the outside. He has been showing good quickness there. I’ve seen him get beat twice on moves where they fake a quick outside rush and then move inside. I’ve seen him get pushed back into the QB once on a bull rush. That is a few failures when you consider he is playing almost every snap at left tackle for 8 games. One weakness I see is he is not as physical as I would like to see. He sometimes lets up on his block. Do not know this to be the case but it is almost like he is playing a practice game and does not want to finish off the block. Another thing is that he is almost always much bigger than the man he faces. They are usually 260 or less in weight. That is one reason why it has been good that these guys are not able to get around him with speed. Also his pass blocking looks better than his run blocking. It goes back to wanting to see him just pancake some guys on the run block.

Wilson8
05-08-2006, 05:42 AM
Concerning Svitek’s playing time. He doesn’t play on special teams. I’ve seen him leave the field a couple of times when they had him line up as a tackle eligible. They have the rule that you have to leave the field after lining up in that position. There may have been a few time where they tried someone else at left tackle for a play or two. Rob Droege from MU is Svitek’s backup at left tackle. Droege usually starts at right tackle.

Wilson8
05-08-2006, 05:46 AM
One reason I am pushing so hard for Will Svitek to succeed is the Chiefs need for a left tackle to fill in if Roaf gets dinged. I think that right now that is a big weakness. Roaf goes down and the Chiefs are that much closer to having Trent Green going down.

Frankie
05-08-2006, 08:57 AM
DTs Arrion Dixon – 1 tackle and Eddie Freeman had 2 tackles.
If one of these guys would be good enough to be in the final roster, which one is your choice? And why?

Mine is Dixon. I don't know why! (that's why I'm asking). Call it a gut feeling.

Frankie
05-08-2006, 08:59 AM
From KFFL
That's good news, but I don't like his last name (in Farsi)! :p

Bowser
05-08-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm pulling for Justin Perkins to make the team. So far, it seems he's put up some pretty impressive stats over there.

This is surely one positive for Carl. He's seemingly had a knack for developing talent in the European league. Let's hope Perkins and Svitek are his latest accomplishments.

Woodrow Call
05-08-2006, 09:54 AM
If one of these guys would be good enough to be in the final roster, which one is your choice? And why?

Mine is Dixon. I don't know why! (that's why I'm asking). Call it a gut feeling.

I would love to see Freeman make it. He has the talent to be a valuable member of the DL rotation. It would be nice to get something out of that 2nd rd pick.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 11:00 AM
I hear this stuff, I see guys owning over there, and it makes me wish that their performance over there was more correlative to their performance in the NFL. If the playing level was one step higher (like second-stringers, and not people trying to make the team), I would invest more into it.

I lost all faith in NFLE when I saw Akili Smith backing for a team a year or two ago. I guess the Bucs thought he was worth a shot at NFLE...he got picked off.

Moooo

Yeah, Maslowski, Dante Hall, and especially Brian Waters have all sucked since their stints in NFLE.

:shake:

Moooo
05-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah, Maslowski, Dante Hall, and especially Brian Waters have all sucked since their stints in NFLE.

:shake:

I can name 4 who didn't make it...that's all I'm saying.

Moooo

Ultra Peanut
05-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Svitek sucks. I don't know what the big deal is about this guy and why is getting talked up so much. I see him getting his ass kicked all the time, whiffin on guys, missing the lead block ect.. Hell in the game on Saturday he was stretched out and missed both blocks on the DE and the OLB that was blitzing on a run play in his direction with a lose of yards. Looks like a Jordan Black, I think he sucks ass!!Yeah... he had one bad game, which renders the fact that he's transitioned to LT and become fairly dominant in NFLE within the span of a year moot.

CUT HIS ASS!