PDA

View Full Version : What The Heck Does A Movie Have To Have?

FAX
05-08-2006, 07:23 AM
I read and posted on Mr. CosmicPal's thread about Citizen Kane and was intrigued by the fact that so many Planeteers don't like the movie for one reason or another. And, unfortunately, this got me to thinking. So, I've created a wonderful new thread which I have entitled, "What The Heck Does A Movie Have To Have?".

The premise of the question is simply this, what characteristics does a movie have to possess that makes it enjoyable for you? Is it action? Lesbian Sex? Good performances? Plot? Laser weapons? Salma Hayek?

For my part, I can enjoy a movie that has only one or two of those things and focus on those to get my ticket value. But, I get the impression from the afore-referenced thread, that many of you feel differently and have now become exceedingly curious about this.

Sorry if repost. Sorry if lame post.

FAX

greg63
05-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Good acting, plot and special effects Mr Fax. :D

Brock
05-08-2006, 07:43 AM
These guys around here are the reason Big Momma's House 2 gets made. I wouldn't pay any attention to them.

jidar
05-08-2006, 07:43 AM
I used to be pretty snobbish about movies, but then I got over it. These days I actually try to enjoy myself instead of being a critic.

Now I've gone from being overly critical of movies to being overly critical of people who can't get over themselves enough to enjoy a popcorn flick.

Oddly enough, I have found out that enjoying lesser movies doesn't actually make me enjoy the great ones any less either.

Demonpenz
05-08-2006, 07:47 AM
hey i liked big momma's house. They are making another one you know www.imbd.com/bigmomma

Sfeihc
05-08-2006, 07:57 AM
All movies need some noobs just to piss off high post count clique at the Planet. :)

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 08:01 AM
I think that gochiefs may have it right: giant squids.

Fish
05-08-2006, 08:54 AM
http://home.tiscali.be/joke1/Neap4/boobs%20rock.jpg

+

http://www.twilightshow.com/guns.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
05-08-2006, 08:57 AM
I used to be pretty snobbish about movies, but then I got over it. These days I actually try to enjoy myself instead of being a critic.

Now I've gone from being overly critical of movies to being overly critical of people who can't get over themselves enough to enjoy a popcorn flick.

Oddly enough, I have found out that enjoying lesser movies doesn't actually make me enjoy the great ones any less either.
As a recovering critic and ostensible filmmaker, character. A good character can make a bad actor decent, but a bad character can make a good actor terrible. Performance of character is as much a writer and director's job as the actors' and many, dare I say most, films today sacrifice character for explosions.

That said, I also have attributed today's audiences' taste for blood, gore and a whore with the demise of the horror genre and a general plummeting of good film.

Frazod
05-08-2006, 09:14 AM
A great villain really makes a movie for me. One that likes being a malicious evil bastard and has fun with it. Some of my favorites are Kurgan from Highlander, Hans from Die Hard, Edward Longshanks from Braveheart and Lena Olin's psychotic bitch from Romeo is Bleeding.

Evil just isn't any fun unless you enjoy your work. :evil:

Nzoner
05-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I want good and believeable stories and characters therefore I find myself looking for what I would classify as hard hitting dramas.A friend of mine whom I watch movies with calls them Joe movies,they can be very slow but if they have what I mentioned above I will usually give them a thumbs up.

I generally don't go for the big budget so called blockbusters but if I do I tell myself going in it's simply a popcorn movie so sit back and enjoy the ride.

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Something that's important to me is good writing, in terms of dialogue that's reasonable as well as a plot that doesn't make me roll my eyes.

In some movies, I find myself sneering and thinking, "Nobody would say that in that situation," and once that happens, the movie is lost.

Also, good writing is essential. A movie that relies on eight different coincidences and ludicrous events loses me pretty quick.

This is not to say that a bizarre movie or bizarre occurrences are a bad thing, and in fact, they're good. But they should be recognized as bizarre, not just passed off as something that we should accept as part of the plot.

plbrdude
05-08-2006, 06:17 PM
personally, i like movies that have a beginning and an ending.

KcMizzou
05-08-2006, 06:18 PM

Oddly enough, I have found out that enjoying lesser movies doesn't actually make me enjoy the great ones any less either.Exactly. Nice post... rep.

cdcox
05-08-2006, 06:35 PM
My favorite movies take the viewer to a world that is explored during the movie. You learn the rules and relationships of this world as the movie unfolds. In the Godfather we had the secret world of a mafia family. In Shawshank we had the world of prison life. In Groundhog Day we had the world of re-occuring tomorrows. You get the idea. I think this is one reason sequels seldom live up to the orignial: the world has already been explored to a great extent and you miss out on the joy of uncovering that world during the first third to half of the movie.

big nasty kcnut
05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Action hot girls and funny one liners. Plus you need a cool bad guy. Oh forgot about the unexpected plot twist.

KcMizzou
05-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Oh forgot about the unexpected plot twist.What a twist!

The problem with twists is that they're rarely unexpected. You may not know exactly what's going to happen, but you know something is.

The few that really blind-side you are well worth it. They're just few and far between.

Jenson71
05-08-2006, 06:56 PM
When thinking over some of my favorite movies, I realized most of them are dramas, and most of them have a strong theme of change, and how the characters must adapt to these changes. There's a strong element of drama in these my favorites, movies such as The Godfather, Tokyo Story, The Deer Hunter, Lost in Translation, Sunrise, Days of Heaven, etc. This are my favorites.

Some of my favorite movies have historical backgrounds essential to the characters and plot. Like Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, The Third Man, Saving Private Ryan...

Music is a key to my heart. Whether it be simple like The Conversation, or epicical like Once Upon a Time in the West, the score is important to me.

Seeing some actors, like Bogart, Brando, and De Niro, make a movie just that much more interesting, because of what they bring to the screen. Some directors, like Fellini, Ozu, and Allen, can take me out of my life and open up a new world to me.

Action? Not so much. But hot women are always a plus.

BucEyedPea
05-08-2006, 07:11 PM
(1) First off a great story with emotional impact
This is basically the screenwriting and emotional impact would include comedy

(2) Top notch film direction to put #1 into action

(3) Cannot rely on special effects to replace (1) and (2)

There are many genres but if they have at least the above it should be enjoyable for most.

For me I love historical epics, dramas, romances, romantic comedy, comedy
I am not crazy about action flicks that only highlight action and have a lousy story, same with special effects. Not big on war movies. I love Indy films too and art house flicks sometimes. I will go see if I have a crush on certain actor...like Johnny Depp or for acting excellence such as Emma Thompson or Russelle Crowe.

Favorite directors: Scott Ridley, Stanley Kubrick

Cochise
05-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Car chases and explosions are a plus.

tk13
05-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Singing orange midgets.