PDA

View Full Version : Voohoo!!!!....My two favorite Prezes kissin and makin up?

Frankie
05-08-2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/08/AR2006050800141.html

CHIEF4EVER
05-08-2006, 11:11 AM
The timing of this letter is pretty suspicious if you ask me.

Cochise
05-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Hmm. Maybe he blinked, a la nikita kruschev? We can only hope.

Frankie
05-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Affects oil prices:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060508/bs_nm/markets_oil_dc

WoodDraw
05-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Does the whole U.S. interest division in the Swiss embassy strike anyone else as being a little 6th gradeish?

Frankie
05-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Does the whole U.S. interest division in the Swiss embassy strike anyone else as being a little 6th gradeish?
Iran also has no Embassy here in the U.S. Only an Iranian interest office in another country's Embassy. That's the way things are handled between the two countries.

Adept Havelock
05-08-2006, 08:54 PM
International politics is frequently a taller and better clothed version of preschool.

WoodDraw
05-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Iran also has no Embassy here in the U.S. Only an Iranian interest office in another country's Embassy. That's the way things are handled between the two countries.

Sure, I know that it is how things work between two countries who for political reasons can't have "relations" with eachother, but it seems like an empty gesture at best. We don't like you, so you'll have to go to the Swiss embassy now to talk to us. I'm sure there are also security concerns, but again, it just seems childish and a little ironic to me.

go bowe
05-08-2006, 09:08 PM
the last time we had an embassy in iran, they took it and all the americans in it hostage for over a year...

it'll be awhile before we have another embassy in iran...

Frankie
05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
International politics is frequently a taller and better clothed version of preschool.
Well said.

Frankie
05-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Sure, I know that it is how things work between two countries who for political reasons can't have "relations" with eachother, but it seems like an empty gesture at best. We don't like you, so you'll have to go to the Swiss embassy now to talk to us. I'm sure there are also security concerns, but again, it just seems childish and a little ironic to me.
I agree. But I can't think of a better system to handle interests of both sides. Can you?

Frankie
05-08-2006, 09:25 PM
the last time we had an embassy in iran, they took it and all the americans in it hostage for over a year...

it'll be awhile before we have another embassy in iran...
We used to take family summer night walks from our house to the American Embassy and back. It was a pretty cool compound.

WoodDraw
05-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I agree. But I can't think of a better system to handle interests of both sides. Can you?

No, probably not. I was just trying to point out the irony of the US's big diplomatic effort having to take place through back channels because we have no diplomatic ties. Same thing with Taiwan. We can't have diplomatic relations, but we can have an American institute there, wink wink. Not a serious critique of the system, but just a moment to reflect on how stupid and petty we are.

Adept Havelock
05-08-2006, 10:02 PM
No, probably not. I was just trying to point out the irony of the US's big diplomatic effort having to take place through back channels because we have no diplomatic ties. Same thing with Taiwan. We can't have diplomatic relations, but we can have an American institute there, wink wink. Not a serious critique of the system, but just a moment to reflect on how stupid and petty we are.I don't know. If we aren't going to have formal relations with a country (I did not have international relations with that....errrr...nevermind), it makes sense to keep a back-door avenue of communication open.

If you've kept up with my posts in the Kennedy thread, you'd see they may have kept large parts of the world from being incinerated.

International Politics is basically a ritual/dance/game that has evolved over thousands of years. It has it's own traditions and language. Yes, I'll agree some of it is quite idiotic. However, to paraphrase Carlin, while I leave symbols to the symbol-minded, I don't underestimate their power over others.

Nation-states are made of people. Why do we expect them to behave any better or more intelligently than most people do?

Tall preschool=Inter and Intra national politics.
People's Exhibit A: Every legislature since (and likely before)the Athenian Senate.