PDA

View Full Version : Bonds refuses to sign HR ball...

Moooo
05-08-2006, 10:08 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AriSXHAoXhZVW88uAyyapioRvLYF?slug=ap-bonds-713fan&prov=ap&type=lgns

What an ass... He takes a picture with the guy , but refuses to sign it...

Moooo

Bowser
05-08-2006, 10:10 AM
He should have at least rubbed some flax seed oil on it.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 10:11 AM
The entire stadium viciously booed him, but he's the ass for not signing. :rolleyes:

Cochise
05-08-2006, 10:15 AM
The entire stadium viciously booed him, but he's the ass for not signing. :rolleyes:

The article says this guy was a Bonds fan, clearly he was not booing.

So he can be an ass for not signing, or an ass for lumping everyone in the stadium together if you want. Same result.

Moooo
05-08-2006, 10:17 AM

He is an ass for not signing it, when the guy was nice enough to sign the waiver for it to be on his precious ESPN show...

Moooo

Short Leash Hootie
05-08-2006, 10:19 AM
why would he sign it?

So the fan can profit even more off of him?

Yeah yeah yeah, he says he's going to 'keep' it...but if someone offers him 10,000 for the ball, is he really going to refuse? How about 20,000?

jspchief
05-08-2006, 10:19 AM
The article says this guy was a Bonds fan, clearly he was not booing.

So he can be an ass for not signing, or an ass for lumping everyone in the stadium together if you want. Same result.FWIW, he was an ass long before this incident.

Moooo
05-08-2006, 10:23 AM
why would he sign it?

Yeah yeah yeah, he says he's going to 'keep' it...but if someone offers him 10,000 for the ball, is he really going to refuse? How about 20,000?

What does it matter? Its his anyway. He's an ass for refusing to sign it, while making sure the whole event gets on his precious reality show. If he didn't want to sign it, he shouldn't have asked him to sign some waiver and plaster it all over his show. The fan signed the waiver, so Bonds could profit more off of him, the baseball would be fair trade.

And I'm sure Barry would sell someone else's baseball if he was an ordinary joe working to make 30k a year...

Moooo

FAX
05-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I cannot fathom any legitimate reason for Bonds to refuse signing that ball. Unless, perhaps, he is considering a charge for that service at some later date? Or, maybe he just likes the negative publicity.

Bonds is like a Bizarro Muhammed Ali.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2006, 11:00 AM
**** Bonds. Cheating bastard!

Bwana
05-08-2006, 11:05 AM

Or shot it up with some roids. :shake:

What a prick.............

Sure-Oz
05-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Atleast he took the picture with him, most people now days want the autograph for money. If he was at home im sure he woulda signed it.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Their Philly fans for gods sake rolling out 30 foot signs dogging him out.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm glad he didn't sign it. I don't think it's the player's responsibility to make someone wealthy just because they caught a freakin' baseball in the stands.

And some people think the players have a warped sense of reality...

jspchief
05-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm glad he didn't sign it. I don't think it's the player's responsibility to make someone wealthy just because they caught a freakin' baseball in the stands.

And some people think the players have a warped sense of reality...No shit. People act like the fan is entitled to an autograph.

You guys probably don't like very many Chiefs players either I take it.

Sure-Oz
05-08-2006, 11:48 AM
No shit. People act like the fan is entitled to an autograph.

You guys probably don't like very many Chiefs players either I take it.
If they refuse no biggie, many realize that people want money, i remember one year ripken signed kids stuff after a game and a few parents with them but adults that just hounded him he wanted nothing to do with him. Atleast the guy that got his picture was greatful for that, id be happy with it!

Moooo
05-08-2006, 11:50 AM

Yeah, like it's the fan's responsibility to make the player famous through all the t-shirts, and hats, and jerseys, and tickets, and (I can go on). Not to mention the direct benefit of him signing the waiver to put the whole thing on the TV show.

Without fans paying out hundreds to see this guy play, Bonds wouldn't have his salary and endorsements or anything. He'd be NOTHING but a poor athlete who worked at the local 7-11. Yet, he fails to appreciate them time after time. He should even be thanking the people who hate him, cause truthfully they make him money too...

Moooo

Immaculate
05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
why would he sign it?

He wont be making much. The next one is the money maker.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah, like it's the fan's responsibility to make the player famous through all the t-shirts, and hats, and jerseys, and tickets, and (I can go on). Not to mention the direct benefit of him signing the waiver to put the whole thing on the TV show.

Without fans paying out hundreds to see this guy play, Bonds wouldn't have his salary and endorsements or anything. He'd be NOTHING but a poor athlete who worked at the local 7-11. Yet, he fails to appreciate them time after time. He should even be thanking the people who hate him, cause truthfully they make him money too...

MooooGive me a f*cking break. Fans put money into the product he puts on the field.

Professional sports is about watching a sport being played at it's highest level, not about some adult geek with hero-worship, wanting to become buddies with the same guys he puts on a pedestal.

Cochise
05-08-2006, 11:54 AM
I think this just proves that Bonds apologists will defend anything, including the guy not taking 2 seconds to sign a baseball.

It's not costing Bonds anything. He's not being injured by doing it. There's no benefit to him to not signing except to satisfy his neverending need to be a prick to everyone lower than him, which is everyone.

What's more is that the fan personally asked him to sign, and he just smirked and said nothing. If you are going to tell him no then be a man and tell him. Just sitting there acting like you didn't even hear the question makes you look like a bergina that's afraid to tell the guy to his face and rolled his spokesman out there to say it for him.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 11:54 AM

Moooo

He probably would have signed it had he hit it in SF. Philly fans are as annoying as they get. Between the 30 foot sign they rolled out to yelling obscenities at him the entire game I am sure the last thing he wanted to do was make one of their fans rich. I think that is a little short sighted but Bonds is notorious in that department.

Cochise
05-08-2006, 11:56 AM
He probably would have signed it had he hit it in SF. Philly fans are as annoying as they get. Between the 30 foot sign they rolled out to yelling obscenities at him the entire game I am sure the last thing he wanted to do was make one of their fans rich. I think that is a little short sighted but Bonds is notorious in that department.

Did you read the article? He was a Bonds fan who came to the game to see him.

Brock
05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Barry Bonds a prick? Say it ain't so.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
I think this just proves that Bonds apologists will defend anything, including the guy not taking 2 seconds to sign a baseball.

It's not costing Bonds anything. He's not being injured by doing it. There's no benefit to him to not signing except to satisfy his neverending need to be a prick to everyone lower than him, which is everyone.

What's more is that the fan personally asked him to sign, and he just smirked and said nothing. If you are going to tell him no then be a man and tell him. Just sitting there acting like you didn't even hear the question makes you look like a bergina that's afraid to tell the guy to his face and rolled his spokesman out there to say it for him.Bonds apologists? :rolleyes: You're painting with pretty broad strokes.

Go ask Tony Gonzalez for an autograph.

Sure-Oz
05-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I sure as hell wouldn't sign an autograph for a guy that possibly would try to make money off me after booing me for a few hours and saying things. I don't think anyoen else would, if it was for a kid, then yes id sign, everyone really wants to find more things to hate him for. Yeah he put himself in a position for that but some of this stuff is dumb.

Moooo
05-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Give me a f*cking break. Fans put money into the product he puts on the field.

Professional sports is about watching a sport being played at it's highest level, not about some adult geek with hero-worship, wanting to become buddies with the same guys he puts on a pedestal.

Since when is requesting an autograph of a homerun ball fall under your description?

Moooo

jspchief
05-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Since when is requesting an autograph of a homerun ball fall under your description?

MooooRequesting an autograph? It doesn't.

Thinking you're entitled to one? Loser.

Moooo
05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Requesting an autograph? It doesn't.

Its obvious he isn't entitled to one, cause he didn't get it. The guy is still an ass for not signing it when he was asked. Barry has the right to act however he wants. I respect that. However, that does not make him a good person. His actions make him an ass...

Moooo

jspchief
05-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Bonds has been an asshole his entire career. I'm not sure why anyone thought that would change after a game where he was getting crucified by fans.

Tuckdaddy
05-08-2006, 12:12 PM
So what if he didn't sign it. The fan should give him the ball anyway for his kids.

Tuckdaddy
05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Bonds has been an asshole his entire career. I'm not sure why anyone thought that would change after a game where he was getting crucified by fans.

You know Barry Bonds?

jspchief
05-08-2006, 12:16 PM
You know Barry Bonds?I've seen enough of him to know he's a dick. Why?

bobbything
05-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Go ask Tony Gonzalez for an autograph.
If Tony Gonzalez was willing to take a picture with me after I, lets say obtained a football he caught for a TD at an Eagles game, and I made it known that I was a Chiefs fan, I'd ask him for an autograph.

And I'd be willing to bet he'd oblige.

Bonds isn't required to sign anything he doesn't want. But it was a dick move not to do so.

58-4ever
05-08-2006, 12:18 PM
**** Bonds. Cheating bastard!

cheating how? what rule that baseball has had in place did he break?

hawkchief
05-08-2006, 12:21 PM

Barry needs to realize it's the fans that have made him wealthy, and not vice versa. Signing the fricking ball doesn't cost Bonds a dime, yet it would be a nice gesture. It would also give a little back to the fans that have made him what he is financially, while he has hiked his leg and pi$$ed steroid juice all over the record book that once defined the game of baseball, and provided its' foundation. Every opportunity he has to do the right thing and thank fans for their support of him (the few left that still do), he chooses to be a prick, yet wonders why fans hate him, and boo him every time he walks into a stadium.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Requesting an autograph? It doesn't.

My point exactly. Thanks for clarifying.
:thumb:

jspchief
05-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Barry needs to realize it's the fans that have made him wealthy, and not vice versa. And fans need to realize it's his job to play baseball, not make friends.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Barry needs to realize it's the fans that have made him wealthy, and not vice versa. Signing the fricking ball doesn't cost Bonds a dime, yet it would be a nice gesture. It would also give a little back to the fans that have made him what he is financially, while he has hiked his leg and pi$$ed steroid juice all over the record book that once defined the game of baseball, and provided its' foundation. Every opportunity he has to do the right thing and thank fans for their support of him (the few left that still do), he chooses to be a prick, yet wonders why fans hate him, and boo him every time he walks into a stadium.

Sorry, I totally disagree. Local TV contracts, ESPN television and radio is what's made ANY baseball player wealthy. Just like in football, Television is where the money comes from, not the gate.

And don't get me started on the Steriod thing. Babe Ruth didn't face the best pitchers of his time because Black people weren't allowed to play in MLB. I hardly think that Ruth would have had the same numbers if he had to face Satchel Paige and all the other great pitchers in the Negro Leagues.

Cochise
05-08-2006, 12:42 PM
cheating how? what rule that baseball has had in place did he break?

Baseball has banned illegal drugs forever. The fact that there was not a testing program does not mean it was sanctioned by the league.

hawkchief
05-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Sorry, I totally disagree. Local TV contracts, ESPN television and radio is what's made ANY baseball player wealthy. Just like in football, Television is where the money comes from, not the gate.

And don't get me started on the Steriod thing. Babe Ruth didn't face the best pitchers of his time because Black people weren't allowed to play in MLB. I hardly think that Ruth would have had the same numbers if he had to face Satchel Paige and all the other great pitchers in the Negro Leagues.

Gee Dane, just how does MLB magically get these media dollars you speak of? The FANS make it possible for ESPN, local TV and radio to sell what is called advertising. That allows baseball players (even ingrates like Bonds) to be paid their exhorbitant salaries. The funds don't magically show up in ESPN's acounts to share with MLB to pay salaries. If the fans go away, so does ESPN and local broadcasts and players salaries. It's called economics.

Unfortunately a minority of players like Bonds don't get it either, and they act like jacka$$es to those who have made them wealthy.

(Also, you might also want to check, and see just what percentage of pitchers in MLB are "Black" to support your race based steroid argument.)

Cochise
05-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Gee Dane, just how does MLB magically get these media dollars you speak of? The FANS make it possible for ESPN, local TV and radio to sell what is called advertising.

Exactly... the fans pay Bonds' salary, but he still walks around saying "piss on the fans" at every opportunity.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I just found out the guy who got the ball is going back to Iraq. It would have been a really classy thing for Bonds to do thanking him for his service and signing the ball irregardless of whether they booed him the entire game. Another opportunity for Bonds to try and change the publics image of him lost. Then again he has been doing this forever, I don't why I should expect him to change now. He just doesn't get it.

Here is a slide show ith some of the things they holding up. They were heckeling the crap out of him as well. Not that it's an excuse but he get death threats daily or at least that's what they are saying on KNBR.

http://inquirer.philly.com/slideshows/sports/060507Barry/

Mr. Krab
05-08-2006, 01:13 PM

Maybe we should apply this same sense of reality to a baseball player who gets paid 10 billion dollars a year to play a game and then won't sign a baseball for a guy who paid part of his salary.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Gee Dane, just how does MLB magically get these media dollars you speak of? The FANS make it possible for ESPN, local TV and radio to sell what is called advertising. That allows baseball players (even ingrates like Bonds) to be paid their exhorbitant salaries. The funds don't magically show up in ESPN's acounts to share with MLB to pay salaries. If the fans go away, so does ESPN and local broadcasts and players salaries. It's called economics.

Unfortunately a minority of players like Bonds don't get it either, and they act like jacka$$es to those who have made them wealthy.

(Also, you might also want to check, and see just what percentage of pitchers in MLB are "Black" to support your race based steroid argument.)I'll agree with you that it's the fans that make these guys their money. That's entire premise of pro sports. Spectators paying to see a sport played at it's highest level.

What I don't agree with is the notion that autographs play anything other than a miniscule part in it. Millions of people watch professional sports without ever caring if they get an autograph or meet their favorite player. It's just a relatively inconsequential segment of the fanbase.

And in the grand scheme, it's not about individual players in team sports. It's about winning. That's why Bonds still gets cheered in SF, and Terrell Owens will get cheered in Dallas in spite of the disrespect he showed those same fans when he played for the 49ers.

Does being a nice guy help? Sure. Will it make you more money? Sometimes. But when it's all said and done, the guys that are the best at what they do will always get the money, because fans want their teams to win.

Ebolapox
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
ya know, if I'm the fan, I refuse to sign the waiver for bonds' reality show (bonds profiting) unless bonds signs the ball

Chief Henry
05-08-2006, 01:27 PM
FWIW, he was an ass long before this incident.

REP

hawkchief
05-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I'll agree with you that it's the fans that make these guys their money. That's entire premise of pro sports. Spectators paying to see a sport played at it's highest level.

What I don't agree with is the notion that autographs play anything other than a miniscule part in it. Millions of people watch professional sports without ever caring if they get an autograph or meet their favorite player. It's just a relatively inconsequential segment of the fanbase.

And in the grand scheme, it's not about individual players in team sports. It's about winning. That's why Bonds still gets cheered in SF, and Terrell Owens will get cheered in Dallas in spite of the disrespect he showed those same fans when he played for the 49ers.

Does being a nice guy help? Sure. Will it make you more money? Sometimes. But when it's all said and done, the guys that are the best at what they do will always get the money, because fans want their teams to win.

I never said that autographs play a large part in anything, not did I say or infer that eveyone wants an autograph. What I did say was that it's no skin off of Bonds' nose or money out his pocket to just sign a fricking autograph for a fan that supports him - particularly in light of what the game has done for Bonds, the damage Bonds has inflicted on the game, and the reputation of an a-hole that he has built of himself amongst most fans. Then Bonds seems bewildered as to how fans now treat him with a lack of respect. Go figure.

Brock
05-08-2006, 01:42 PM
ya know, if I'm the fan, I refuse to sign the waiver for bonds' reality show (bonds profiting) unless bonds signs the ball

That'll show em.

hawkchief
05-08-2006, 01:46 PM
And fans need to realize it's his job to play baseball, not make friends.

JSP are you a a doctor perchance? If not, I assume you are in some type of business where you can be a jerk to your customers and get away with it. Most of us are not, and don't appreciate it when a primma-donna cheat like Bonds treats the game and the fans the way he does.

svuba
05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
I never said that autographs play a large part in anything, not did I say or infer that eveyone wants an autograph. What I did say was that it's no skin off of Bonds' nose or money out his pocket to just sign a fricking autograph for a fan that supports him - particularly in light of what the game has done for Bonds, the damage Bonds has inflicted on the game, and the reputation of an a-hole that he has built of himself amongst most fans. Then Bonds seems bewildered as to how fans now treat him with a lack of respect. Go figure.

Fan entitlement is such Bull****. Bonds doesn't owe any fan anything.

If you get into an elevator with Steve Jobs do you ask him to sign your IPOD? If He elects not to sign your IPOD do you claim that he is an A**hole? Does Steve Jobs owe you time and grattitude for buying an IPOD?

Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Barry Bonds don't owe customers or fans anything. Nobody is forcing you to go to the game, or buy an IPOD. YOU didn't make Barry Bonds rich any more than you made Bill Gates rich, stop taking credit for someone elses accomplishments.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Ty Cobb was the biggest A-hole ever, but it didn't hurt his stature in the game. I just don't understand why people think that Bonds needs to be a "nice guy". That's BS. I know a few CEO's of major coporations who are much, much bigger A-holes. Guys that will piss all over you, take your money, dump jobs - just anything to make a buck. Yet they aren't villified for not signing autographs. I just don't get it.

Katipan
05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
... It's not like theres morning autograph sessions for the nice CEOs.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 02:56 PM
... It's not like theres morning autograph sessions for the nice CEOs.

No, they just take $216 million dollar bonuses, then tell you to cut headcount by 10.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 03:07 PM
JSP are you a a doctor perchance? If not, I assume you are in some type of business where you can be a jerk to your customers and get away with it. Most of us are not, and don't appreciate it when a primma-donna cheat like Bonds treats the game and the fans the way he does.

So, I'm at a ballgame and catch a home run. That player should be required to sign it for me so that I can put it on Ebay and make tens of thousands of dollars? Is that really your argument?

And you think Barry Bonds is taking steriods now? Seriously? If he took them in the past (which can't be proven), it doesn't matter because MLB did not have a steroid policy! So how is it cheating when it's not against the rules?

If anything, Bonds is HONORING the game by NOT autographing the ball. All the guy would do is profit on his lucky catch by selling it, but that's okay with you? That's a strange way of thinking.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 03:12 PM
(Also, you might also want to check, and see just what percentage of pitchers in MLB are "Black" to support your race based steroid argument.)

Do you not know that blacks weren't allowed to play in the major leagues during Ruth's day? Seriously? You need to take a trip to the Negro League Hall of Fame. There were many, many outstanding players during that era and though we'll never know for sure, I don't think there's any way that Ruth would put up the numbers he did if he actually faced the Best Players of the day, instead of the just the best white players.

Katipan
05-08-2006, 03:12 PM
No, they just take $216 million dollar bonuses, then tell you to cut headcount by 10.

So?

Katipan
05-08-2006, 03:14 PM
If anything, Bonds is HONORING the game by NOT autographing the ball. All the guy would do is profit on his lucky catch by selling it, but that's okay with you? That's a strange way of thinking.

yeah cuz the only person that should profit from barry bonds taking growth is barry bonds.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 03:17 PM
So?

So...I just find it funny how someone like that isn't vilified, yet Barry Bonds refusal to sign a baseball and makes him "prima donna A-hole who does nothing for the game". I fail to see where Barry Bonds' actions have put people out of work while collecting a hefty salary.

Brock
05-08-2006, 03:19 PM
So...I just find it funny how someone like that isn't vilified, yet Barry Bonds refusal to sign a baseball and makes him "prima donna A-hole who does nothing for the game". I fail to see where Barry Bonds' actions have put people out of work while collecting a hefty salary.

CEOs aren't vilified? :rolleyes:

Katipan
05-08-2006, 03:22 PM

Um. I bet people would call the CEO an asshole too.

Where do you even come up with this comparison?

One used illegal substances to cheat at a game.

The other is a made up hypothetical CEO running a company with a bottom line.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 03:23 PM

You love Barry.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 03:29 PM
JSP are you a a doctor perchance? If not, I assume you are in some type of business where you can be a jerk to your customers and get away with it. Most of us are not, and don't appreciate it when a primma-donna cheat like Bonds treats the game and the fans the way he does.So waht's the limit? And who determines the limit? He let the guy get a picture taken with him. That's not enough? How about an autograph? Maybe he should have dinner with the guy, take his daughter to the prom, give his son hitting lessons. Who gets to draw the line?

The thing you don't realize is that his product is so popular that he can be a jerk to the customer. He's been doing it for over a decade, and he's still making millions. It still makes him a jerk, but I'm not sure how signing one autogrph will change anything.

Katipan
05-08-2006, 03:30 PM
You love Barry.

you and me, buddy.
in the ring.

6 rounds.

Cochise
05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
So waht's the limit? And who determines the limit? He let the guy get a picture taken with him. That's not enough? How about an autograph? Maybe he should have dinner with the guy, take his daughter to the prom, give his son hitting lessons. Who gets to draw the line?

How about drawing the line at the 5 seconds or less it takes to uncap a sharpie and scribble his initials?

It's not like the guy asked Bonds to buy him a Bentley. Or even to stand around and sign autographs for 10 minutes. It was 2 seconds of his time for a fan, not a Phillies fan that was dogging him, someone who said they were a fan of his, who came out to a game in a road city and sat among 30,000 or 40,000 people who were booing him mercilessly to support him.

Here was a chance to improve his image, the most reviled professional athlete in decades (if not ever), but instead he relishes in the chance to further it.

It's not that Bonds doesn't care if he is liked or not. It's like he wants to be hated. Like these past 5 or 6 years he thought he would get away with everything and go down with Willie Mays and the rest, but he wasn't fooling anyone, and now he's so bitter he won't even speak to a peasant to tell them "no".

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 03:33 PM

Yes, people would call him an a-hole too, but it wouldn't be a topic of national debate.

CEO's of major corporations cheat everyday, whether it be insider trading (which is rarely caught) or by cooking the books and not operating under GAAP standards.

No one has proved that Bonds took steroids or illegal supplements. They can allege or assume or accuse, but nothing has been proven.

The bottom line to me is that Barry Bonds should be expected to play baseball. Not sign autographs insuring that a fan will make money, not give nice, sweet interviews, not walk around shaking hands and kissing babies. Just play baseball.

And FWIW, that wasn't a hypothetical situation. It happened when I was at Viacom.

Katipan
05-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I imagine it would get really annoying to always be asked for your autograph.

But when you shit all over baseball, you'd think it would be in your best interest to be a nice guy.

Katipan
05-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes, people would call him an a-hole too, but it wouldn't be a topic of national debate.

CEO's of major corporations cheat everyday, whether it be insider trading (which is rarely caught) or by cooking the books and not operating under GAAP standards.

No one has proved that Bonds took steroids or illegal supplements. They can allege or assume or accuse, but nothing has been proven.

The bottom line to me is that Barry Bonds should be expected to play baseball. Not sign autographs insuring that a fan will make money, not give nice, sweet interviews, not walk around shaking hands and kissing babies. Just play baseball.

And FWIW, that wasn't a hypothetical situation. It happened when I was at Viacom.

So expose all the shady dealings at Viacom and I'm sure it'll be a topic of national debate.

Did you hear of Enron?

Stinger
05-08-2006, 03:37 PM
yet Barry Bonds refusal to sign a baseball and makes him "prima donna A-hole who does nothing for the game". I fail to see where Barry Bonds' actions have put people out of work while collecting a hefty salary.

Lets see since this story has come out he refused to sign a ball to a person serving in the military yet wants this person to sign a release so he can exploit the man on his reality series on ESPN.

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
- hypocrite adjective

jspchief
05-08-2006, 03:38 PM
How about drawing the line at the 5 seconds or less it takes to uncap a sharpie and scribble his initials?

It's not like the guy asked Bonds to buy him a Bentley. Or even to stand around and sign autographs for 10 minutes. It was 2 seconds of his time for a fan, not a Phillies fan that was dogging him, someone who said they were a fan of him.

Here was a chance to improve his image, the most reviled professional athlete in decades (if not ever), but instead he relishes in the chance to further it.

It's not that Bonds doesn't care if he is liked or not. It's like he wants to be hated. Like these past 5 or 6 years he thought he would get away with everything and go down with Willie Mays and the rest, but he wasn't fooling anyone, and now he's so bitter he won't even speak to a peasant to tell them "no".How about 10 seconds for an autograph and photo? How about 15 seconds for 2 autographs and a photo?

How many fans deserve an extra 10 seconds of his time before it's asking for too much?

He got his picture taken with the dude. Why wasn't that enough?

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
you and me, buddy.
in the ring.

6 rounds.

How bout the mud pit? :p

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
How bout the mud pit? :p

And you gotta call me Barry when I'm on top. ROFL

Stinger
05-08-2006, 03:41 PM
He got his picture taken with the dude. Why wasn't that enough?
Maybe because he wants this gentleman to sign a waiver so he can show (exploit) the photo op on his TV reality show.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Maybe because he wants this gentleman to sign a waiver so he can show (exploit) the photo op on his TV show.So if this gentleman doesn't think the photo was fair compensation, he can choose to not sign the waiver, or he can negotiate an autograph for his signature.

Is that fan allowed to turn Barry down?

The fan isn't forced to do anything. Why should Bonds be?

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Lets see since this story has come out he refused to sign a ball to a person serving in the military yet wants this person to sign a release so he can exploit the man on his reality series on ESPN.

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
- hypocrite adjective

Did the man say yes or no?

Brock
05-08-2006, 03:45 PM
So if this gentleman doesn't think the photo was fair compensation, he can choose to not sign the waiver, or he can negotiate an autograph for his signature.

Is that fan allowed to trun Barry down?

The fan isn't forced to do anything. Why should Bonds be?

I'd just say "I'll sign right after he does".

jspchief
05-08-2006, 03:47 PM
I'd just say "I'll sign right after he does".So would I.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
So expose all the shady dealings at Viacom and I'm sure it'll be a topic of national debate.

Did you hear of Enron?

Enron? Nope :)

I was just trying to illustrate (very poorly, I'm guessing) that there are far bigger a-holes in the world than Barry Bonds, but yet Bonds is vilified and ridiculed every day for just being himself.

I guess I just don't get that point of view. I just don't think that any "Star", regardless if it's an actor, actress, athelete or musician OWES the public anything other than sharing their talent.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Katipan loves Barry. Katipan loves Barry!!! :)

hawkchief
05-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Enron? Nope :)

I was just trying to illustrate (very poorly, I'm guessing) that there are far bigger a-holes in the world than Barry Bonds, but yet Bonds is vilified and ridiculed every day for just being himself.

I guess I just don't get that point of view. I just don't think that any "Star", regardless if it's an actor, actress, athelete or musician OWES the public anything other than sharing their talent.

Whether you like it or not, or care to admit it, the majority of fans will continue to consider Bonds a jerk for the remainder of his career and unworthy of his so-called "records". Most fans consider his behavior boorish, and believe that he should give back to the game that has given him so much. Just because you don't think he needs to engage the fans doesn't matter, and certainly won't sway popular opinion. It also doesn't matter if there are bigger a-holes than Bonds (CEO's, actresses, actors etc) or not, because he happens to be (fairly or unfairly) at the top of his sport currently, and under the spotlight that comes with what he essentially created, by using steroids. What you fail to recognize is that most people find his unwillingness to acknowledge his fan base in a positive fashion, particularly after his steroid transgressions, absurd and just plain obstinant. Were Tiger Woods to cheat in his sport, then treat the fans and the press as unnecessary evils as Bonds does, he would receive the same dislilke from golf fans as well.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Whether you like it or not, or care to admit it, the majority of fans will continue to consider Bonds a jerk for the remainder of his career and unworthy of his so-called "records". Most fans consider his behavior boorish, and believe that he should give back to the game that has given him so much. Just because you don't think he needs to engage the fans doesn't matter, and certainly won't sway popular opinion. It also doesn't matter if there are bigger a-holes than Bonds (CEO's, actresses, actors etc) or not, because he happens to be (fairly or unfairly) at the top of his sport currently, and under the spotlight that comes with what he essentially created, by using steroids. What you fail to recognize is that most people find his unwillingness to acknowledge his fan base in a positive fashion, particularly after his steroid transgressions, absurd and just plain obstinant. Were Tiger Woods to cheat in his sport, then treat the fans and the press as unnecessary evils as Bonds does, he would receive the same dislilke from golf fans as well.

I'm not "failing to recognize" anything. I don't think that it's in the job description to be a nice guy and go out of your way for the "fans". And if the "fans" don't like Barry Bonds, I guess what your telling me is that they aren't "fans" at all of Barry Bonds. They're detractors. And I'll never be on the side the detractors. It's stupid and makes the those people even more stupid, IMO.

Again, no one has proved that Barry Bonds cheated and given the fact that he's hitting home runs on a record pace, I seriously doubt that it would have had any effect on his abilities. If he were doing steroids, it could have helped him to stay healthier, but a 41 year old guy hitting home run after home run is damn impressive, whether you like him or not. And there's certainly no way that he can be using steroids now.

Fruit Ninja
05-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Hell i am a dodger fan n hate Bonds big time, but if he didnt wanna sign it, so what, get over it.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Hell i am a dodger fan n hate Bonds big time, but if he didnt wanna sign it, so what, get over it.

Are you in LA? I'm going to the Dodger game tomorrow night and I'll be in the Dugout Club. Free food and drinks!

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm not "failing to recognize" anything. I don't think that it's in the job description to be a nice guy and go out of your way for the "fans". And if the "fans" don't like Barry Bonds, I guess what your telling me is that they aren't "fans" at all of Barry Bonds. They're detractors. And I'll never be on the side the detractors. It's stupid and makes the those people even more stupid, IMO.

Again, no one has proved that Barry Bonds cheated and given the fact that he's hitting home runs on a record pace, I seriously doubt that it would have had any effect on his abilities. If he were doing steroids, it could have helped him to stay healthier, but a 41 year old guy hitting home run after home run is damn impressive, whether you like him or not. And there's certainly no way that he can be using steroids now.

It's kind of funny they boo the hell out of him but irregardless of whether it is still a game or not they stay to see his last at bat then it's the mass exodus.

DJay23
05-08-2006, 04:56 PM
What's worse than Barry Bonds...dickheaditude? People who whine about what a dickhead he is. Shut up already, you shouldn't be surprised when he doesn't do what you want him to do.

HMc
05-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Who really asked the fan to sign the release for the tv show? I wouldn't be surprised if it was an ESPN producer, and that Bonds has signed away his rights in that area.

Halfcan
05-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Nothing Bluto Bonds does surprises me. His dad was a d#ck and he is an even bigger one. MLB is a fraud.

Halfcan
05-08-2006, 09:43 PM
LMAO ROFL Nice one-as usual. Rep worthy even!

el borracho
05-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Ha! Sign your own balls!