PDA

View Full Version : Your Childhood: What Do You Miss?

Donger
05-08-2006, 11:45 AM
For me, I'd have to say those little boxes of raisins. I miss those.

You?

Bowser
05-08-2006, 11:46 AM
No bills, no appointements, no adult BS, just a day full of whatever it was I wanted to do (for the most part). And snow. I loved to play in the snow when I was a kid. Now, I can't stand to be in the shit.

Woodrow Call
05-08-2006, 12:20 PM
I miss not having a care in the world. I miss summer vacation. Going to the swimming pool, riding bikes with my friends, trading ball cards, playing with my He-Man action figures.

Life was so sweet.

stumppy
05-08-2006, 12:20 PM
The tit.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 12:24 PM
No bills, no appointements, no adult BS, just a day full of whatever it was I wanted to do (for the most part). And snow. I loved to play in the snow when I was a kid. Now, I can't stand to be in the shit.

Amen brother. I miss a lot. Coming home from school and riding dirt bikes until dinner. Bee bee gun wars. Playing sports. Riding in the back of pops pickup on the way to the ice cream store to get a shake on a hot day. Playing doctor with Debbie Geiger next door who was a year older than me. :) The smell of breakfast mom prepared in the morning. Mom ruled!!! Christmas, I really loved Christmas as a kid.

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Being able to run at full speed for long periods of time without getting tired, and having the leisure time to do things that required running at full speed for long periods of time.

Scaga
05-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Two things:

I miss NOT having a job ( I mean by my choice ).
and
I miss the total lack of responsibility.

chagrin
05-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I miss going to school with my old friends, playing football, baseball, riding my co-cart around, swimming, Playing my drumset along with KISS, dressing up like KISS and I miss my mother, who died on this date, a few years ago.

Inspector
05-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Torey Southwick and 'ol Gus.

New episodes of the Dick Van Dyke show just to get another glance at the sweet thing known as Laura Petrie.

mmmmm...laura....

Tatertot13
05-08-2006, 12:29 PM
i miss uncle ned asking me to help him beat on the trouser snake in his pants

Dartgod
05-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Being able to run....period.
Fixed your post for my benefit.

Also, pixie stix. I really miss those.

RJ
05-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Playing make-believe games the way only a child can, where in the moment they are so real to you.

I can specifically remember the day I had to stop. I just lost the ability to pretend, it happened overnight. I think that is the moment we step onto the bridge from childhood to adulthood.

On the plus side, if we didn't lose that ability we wouldn't get much done in life. And I'd look really foolish at 47 out in the yard playing Batman.

DMAC
05-08-2006, 12:42 PM
YMCA soccer, dirtpiles and forts, buzzing my head every summer, Hydra Slide in Springfield.

luv
05-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Not having bills to pay.

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Having the ability to concentrate on something like a laser beam. Now, I flit about and get distracted by anything that moves, and I can't shut off the outside world to concentrate like I used to. I think I've lost 30 IQ points in the past 15 years.

Otter
05-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Waiting till no one was home, dressing up in my sisters attire. Sticking lunch meat down inside the panty hose, getting the dogs attention and have him chase me around and tackle me pretending I was trying to escape the other prisoners.

tyton75
05-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Playing Kick-the-can... humongous Snow Forts, sledding

and when Fireworks displays were the end all-be all of AWESOME!

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Waiting till no one was home, dressing up in my sisters attire. Sticking lunch meat down inside the panty hose, getting the dogs attention and have him chase me around and tackle me pretending I was trying to escape the other prisoners.

That, and the innocence of childhood.

sedated
05-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I miss going to school with my old friends, playing football, baseball, riding my co-cart around, swimming, Playing my drumset along with KISS, dressing up like KISS and I miss my mother, who died on this date, a few years ago.

sorry to hear that, chagrin.

keep your head up.

I miss not having to pay for anything.

Dinners, clothes, bills, etc, etc, etc

now I have to choose - electricity...or another bag of weed? :hmmm:

chagrin
05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
sorry to hear that, chagrin.

keep your head up.

I miss not having to pay for anything.

Dinners, clothes, bills, etc, etc, etc

now I have to choose - electricity...or another bag of weed? :hmmm:

thank you sir, now before you go "quikSsurfer" on us, choose electricity!

:p

coach_L
05-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I miss digging in the couch and mom's car to get some change, running up to the store and buying a pack of Topp's baseball cards for 42 cents.

Iowanian
05-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Alot of things, but probably the best thing was the quick recovery of my young person body.

Alot of cracks, pops, aches and pains that I now appreciate when they weren't there.

Things that didn't hurt for a full day when I was 12, hurt for a week now.

Dick Bull
05-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Playing doctor with my older babysitter, she was hot.

sedated
05-08-2006, 01:23 PM
thank you sir, now before you go "quikSsurfer" on us, choose electricity!

:p

all I need is a long extension cord, and one of my neighbors' outlets

Fish
05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Big League Chew..... and trying to chew the entire pouch in one day.......

bogie
05-08-2006, 01:27 PM
The last day of school before summer vacation. Snow days. Hauling hay with my buddies. Driving down deserted country roads and drinking beers with my buddies. Touching my first breast (I was trembling). Playing baseball with my brothers and sisters. Shooting my first deer. Hunting with my Dad who was with me when I shot my first deer.

hawkchief
05-08-2006, 01:29 PM
The Riddler on Batman (and Catwoman).

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 01:29 PM

Donger
05-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I miss playing with my brothers sometimes. Although I don't think I'd repeatedly try (and fail) to jump Indian Creek on my bike now.

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots ruled.

I used to really enjoy playing the Game of Life. As a portent to my current profession, I would play the game by myself and then at the end of a game I would split up the inheritance among the children and start them out on a new game, and I would draw family trees to map out what each generation did for a living, their net worth at death, etc. I even worked out some formulas for figuring out their life spans based on the number of spins of the wheel it took to reach the end of the game.

chagrin
05-08-2006, 01:34 PM

Or in my case, in 20 minutes

StcChief
05-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Summer time - Bike riding, 'Capture the flag' with whole neighborhood gang.

Hanging at swimming pool.

Pickup baseball games, whiffle ball in backyard

American Bandstand after school

First spin the bottle...kiss feelup chick.

Sleding, skitching behind car in winter on snow packed country roads.

Motorcycle riding camping and drinking out the in the woods.

Halloween fun smashing pumpkins

No worries. No bills. No responsibilities

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 01:36 PM
The last day of school before summer vacation. .

Summer vacation RULED!!!

kcfanXIII
05-08-2006, 01:38 PM
i grew up on a lake. i miss everything about it. swimming, water skiing, skiing in ski shows, ice hockey come winter time, staying up late catfishing and drinking. there was a hill on the backside of the dam that we would sled down when there was snow.

btw, fire works are still the coolest thing on earth.

Tatertot13
05-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Big League Chew was the shiznit!!!

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Heading out with my three friends to the woods to see that dead body by the railroad tracks.

Donger
05-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Heading out with my three friends to the woods to see that dead body by the railroad tracks.

Which character were you? I'd guess Vern Tessio or Gordie Lachance.

tyton75
05-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Collecting all of the Garbage Pail Kids.. don't know why I did it.. but I thought it was awesome :)

and the last day of school for the summer break is probably the BIGGEST thing I miss

Tatertot13
05-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Chillin with Falkor

http://www.neverendingstory.com/images/Image074.jpg

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Kegers and big ol bonfires in the mountains all night. I wonder if half the stuff we used to do is even legal today.

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Which character were you? I'd guess Vern Tessio or Gordie Lachance.

I see elements of myself in all of them, but I identified most with the writer kid until he overdosed on the drugs.

Iowanian
05-08-2006, 01:54 PM
bRainman still has night terrors about the other guys making him do the Truffle Shuffle while they were looking for Rich stuff that one eye willi hid.

sedated
05-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Nothing, I mean NOTHING, beat the last day of school.

No one did a damn thing, except fugg around and clean out your locker, which was one of the greatest feelings in the world.

You knew that you had the whole summer in front of you. It was like being reborn.

Donger
05-08-2006, 01:58 PM
I see elements of myself in all of them, but I identified most with the writer kid until he overdosed on the drugs.

The writer kid overdosed on drugs?

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 01:59 PM
The writer kid overdosed on drugs?

Well, not in the movie itself...

Braincase
05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Running.

Everywhere.

In the dark .

Naked.

bogie
05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
When firework stands would open up close to the 4th. We would buy as many bottle rockets as we could afford. We would then head out to the country roads in our parents cars and go screaming down dirt roads having bottle rocket fights. The front car had a definate advantage. Man that was fun! Stupid, but fun!

Donger
05-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Well, not in the movie itself...

You mean River Phoenix? He wasn't the writer. Wesley Crusher was, IIRC.

BucEyedPea
05-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Being able to just be outside in the summer time instead of locked indoors with AC.

and

being a tomboy, challenging boys to races on my bike and using a slingshot

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Oh yea those bad girls at church camp. You had to love those. :)

I'll bet their parents thought they were safe sending them there. ROFL

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
You mean River Phoenix? He wasn't the writer. Wesley Crusher was, IIRC.

Phoenix wasn't the narrator? It's been ages since I saw it.

Donger
05-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Phoenix wasn't the narrator? It's been ages since I saw it.

No. The narrator was Gordie all grow'd up. Played by that hairy guy from Jaws.

bogie
05-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Playing kick the can till the sun went down and well into the dark. One of my buddies parents had a big bell on a pole in their back yard. When it was time for him to come home his Mom would ring the bell. We could hear that bell from miles away. In the summer time, in my small home town, with my bike, there were no boundaries.

Stinger
05-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Hydra Slide in Springfield.

Hydraslide was a blast.

Like most on here miss the lack of having to be resposible for food, family, work. Going out at 8:00 am playing ball, war, hide and go seek, lunch, more ball, snack, more ball, and at dusk kick the can or ghost in the grave yard at night or just collecting fireflies and tearing their butts off, getting back into the house late at night crashing until the next morning and do it all over again. Camping in the back yard with friends, and talking about what we were going to do when we grew up. Ahhh yes those were the days.

bogie
05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Hydraslide was a blast.

Like most on here miss the lack of having to be resposible for food, family, work. Going out at 8:00 am playing ball, war, hide and go seek, lunch, more ball, snack, more ball, and at dusk kick the can or ghost in the grave yard at night or just collecting fireflies and tearing their butts off, getting back into the house late at night crashing until the next morning and do it all over again. Camping in the back yard with friends, and talking about what we were going to do when we grew up. Ahhh yes those were the days.

The fireflies butt ring was cool. We used to catch June bugs and tie thread around their back legs and they would fly. It was like having them on a leash.

cadmonkey
05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I miss not having a care in the world.

DMAC
05-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Oh, I also miss those tents that you could set up on top of your bed.

I had a camo one.

Dartgod
05-08-2006, 02:39 PM
My treehouse.

It was a really cool one too, until the neighborhood bullies snuck in there one night and peed all over the carpet.

DMAC
05-08-2006, 02:40 PM
My treehouse.

It was a really cool one too, until the neighborhood bullies snuck in there one night and peed all over the carpet.ROFLROFL I'm sorry!

Skip Towne
05-08-2006, 03:35 PM
I wish I'd gotten to do all that cool stuff. I was 47 years old when I was born.

58-4ever
05-08-2006, 03:36 PM
I wish I'd gotten to do all that cool stuff. I was 47 years old when I was born.

ROFL

Donger
05-08-2006, 03:37 PM

Don't forget; it's Mother's Day this Sunday. You may want to get your mother something special.

58-4ever
05-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Catching perch with hotdogs and trying to get Amber Stidham to let me look up her skirt. :hmmm:

58-4ever
05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Don't forget; it's Mother's Day this Sunday. You may want to get your mother something special.

I got GoChiefs' mom something real special in my pants. (some new panties) :)

Donger
05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
I got GoChiefs' mom something real special in my pants. (some new panties) :)

Considering his recent admission, a blindfold may be more apropos.

cdcox
05-08-2006, 03:46 PM
My mother came from a family of 13 bros and sisters. At family reunions and yearly vacations at the lake (a group of 4 to 7 of the siblings and their families) it could be a real crowd. We were a dynasty I tell ya, a dynasty.

Seeing them grow older and for the most part pass away has been hard. The Next Generation (that would be me) has moved to different parts of the country and doesn't get together en mass. I miss that dynasty feeling.

Clint in Wichita
05-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Probably already mentioned: Summers off.

DJJasonp
05-08-2006, 04:02 PM
There was a waterslide park at 75th and I-35 when I was a kid...it only had 2 lanes, but it was great...I remember never tiring even though you had to run all the way back up the hill for a 20-30 second trip down the slide....man...those were the days!

Basically...never tiring and never needing (or more importantly, wanting) a nap.