PDA

View Full Version : Moussaoui wants to withdraw guilty plea

Cochise
05-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Sounds like somebody lost that nerve all of a sudden, and he's now a big fan of the American legal system, coincidentally.

Moussaoui asks for new trial
May 08 4:03 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

Less than a week after he was jailed for life over the September 11 attacks, Al-Qaeda plotter Zacarias Moussaoui submitted a motion asking to withdraw his guilty plea so he can have a new trial.

"Moussaoui wishes to withdraw his guilty plea because when he entered the plea his 'understanding of the American legal system was completely flawed'," his lawyers said in the motion.

Moussaoui said in an affadavit "I now see that it is possible that I can receive a fair trial" in the United States.

"Even with Americans as jurors," he went on, "I can have the opportunity to prove that I did not have any knowledge of and was not a member of the plot to hijack planes and crash them into buildings on September 11, 2001."

"I wish to withdraw my guilty plea and ask the court for a new trial to prove my innocence of the September 11 plot," he said.

A jury rejected prosecutors calls for a death penalty last Wednesday and called for the 37-year-old Frenchman to be jailed for life without chance of parole after he admitted six charges of conspiracy over the September 11 attacks.

Moussaoui decided on Friday, while waiting to be transferred to a super-maximum security prison in Colorado, that he wanted to change his plea, his lawyers said in documents submitted to a federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, where his trial was held.

RaiderH8r
05-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Sounds like somebody lost that nerve all of a sudden, and he's now a big fan of the American legal system, coincidentally.

Moussaoui asks for new trial
May 08 4:03 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

Less than a week after he was jailed for life over the September 11 attacks, Al-Qaeda plotter Zacarias Moussaoui submitted a motion asking to withdraw his guilty plea so he can have a new trial.

"Moussaoui wishes to withdraw his guilty plea because when he entered the plea his 'understanding of the American legal system was completely flawed'," his lawyers said in the motion.

Moussaoui said in an affadavit "I now see that it is possible that I can receive a fair trial" in the United States.

"Even with Americans as jurors," he went on, "I can have the opportunity to prove that I did not have any knowledge of and was not a member of the plot to hijack planes and crash them into buildings on September 11, 2001."

"I wish to withdraw my guilty plea and ask the court for a new trial to prove my innocence of the September 11 plot," he said.

A jury rejected prosecutors calls for a death penalty last Wednesday and called for the 37-year-old Frenchman to be jailed for life without chance of parole after he admitted six charges of conspiracy over the September 11 attacks.

Moussaoui decided on Friday, while waiting to be transferred to a super-maximum security prison in Colorado, that he wanted to change his plea, his lawyers said in documents submitted to a federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, where his trial was held.
What's that you say Moussaoui? I can't hear you? It seems you're in a Colorado penal facility behind many feet of concrete and steel.

Bowser
05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Too bad we lost. If we hadn't lost, we might have given him a re-trial. Now go get aquainted with your new roommate. His name is Billy Bob.

RaiderH8r
05-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Too bad we lost. If we hadn't lost, we might have given him a re-trial. Now go get aquainted with your new roommate. His name is Billy Bob.
Good news for Moussaoui, nothing says Victory like a human booster shot from some dude named Russell.

oldandslow
05-08-2006, 04:09 PM
From any of you lawyer types...

If Mr. M is granted a new trial and is found guilty, can he then be given the death penalty????

Inquiring minds want to know???

Chief Henry
05-08-2006, 04:11 PM
He found out the Islamistwhorevirgins are fugly.

Frankie
05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Link?

Taco John
05-08-2006, 06:16 PM

If Mr. M is granted a new trial and is found guilty, can he then be given the death penalty????

Probably... But the reason he didn't get the death penalty the first time around was because nobody believed he was involved, but since he was pleading guilty, they figured the least they could do was accommodate his stupidity.

I suspect if the allow for a re-trial, just how much of a nobody idiot this guy will come out, and leave us with no prosecutions in the 9/11 tragedy. There's no way that's going to happen. This guy is screwed.

banyon
05-08-2006, 06:38 PM

The prohibition on double jeopardy comes into play when you have been acquitted of a crime and the prosecution tries to re-try you for the same (or a substantially similar, often included) charges.

Because Moussaoui was already convicted, he is exposing himself to the second trial. The sentencing phase where they determine the death penalty is the second, but necessarily, second stage following the charges. New trial= new sentencing (if he's convicted in the second trial). So, no double jeopardy

Frankie
05-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Link?
Never mind. I've found the story. It is funny.

patteeu
05-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Probably... But the reason he didn't get the death penalty the first time around was because nobody believed he was involved, but since he was pleading guilty, they figured the least they could do was accommodate his stupidity.

I suspect if the allow for a re-trial, just how much of a nobody idiot this guy will come out, and leave us with no prosecutions in the 9/11 tragedy. There's no way that's going to happen. This guy is screwed.

I pretty much agree with this.

Pitt Gorilla
05-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Um, no. You lose.

Cochise
05-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I saw a little bit on tv about ADX Florence, the supermax prison where he would be imprisoned. It's pretty interesting.

It's one of those 23 hour a day solitary, no contact with other inmates places. Zach here would be spending the rest of his life in a 7x12, only let out to exercise by himself in another similar room. It's set up to where they don't know where they are within the complex and rarely have contact with guards or other prisoners.

They have other notable people there like the Unabomber, the shoe bomber, Terry Nichols, etc.

go bowe
05-08-2006, 11:58 PM
leaving that pos to rot sounds like a good plan to me...

he shouldn't be allowed to become a martyr...

hopefully, the judge won't take the request for a new trial as anything more than a routine formality and just deny it outright...

Nightwish
05-09-2006, 12:22 AM
I don't think they should give him Life or the Death Penalty. They should sentence him to "five minutes in general population." That would be tantamount to both a life sentence and the death penalty.

Nightwish
05-09-2006, 12:27 AM
leaving that pos to rot sounds like a good plan to me...

he shouldn't be allowed to become a martyr...

hopefully, the judge won't take the request for a new trial as anything more than a routine formality and just deny it outright...
Truthfully, the judge is going to have to be very careful about how he handles this. He's going to have to forget that it has anything to do with 9/11 and treat it like any other such motion. If he denies it based on the emotionality of the connection to 9/11, and that decision stands, then it will undermine the integrity of our legal system, not to mention that it will martyr the guy. If he considers it point by point, as he should, and grants the motion, then it's at least a small victory for the bad guys. The only way he can safely reject this motion is to go over it with a fine-toothed comb, in my opinion.