PDA

View Full Version : Iraq's National Unity Gov't 90% complete (?)

Loki
05-09-2006, 10:42 PM
( source (http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/05/09/iraq.main/index.html) )

Progress cited on Iraqi Cabinet

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/WORLD/meast/05/09/iraq.main/story.iraq.pm.gi.jpg
Iraqi Prime Minister-designate Nuri
al-Maliki says Tuesday that most
Cabinet posts have been filled.

More than 90 percent of Iraqi Cabinet posts have been filled and a four-year national unity administration could be completed in a few days' time, the prime minister-designate said Tuesday.

Two top positions -- the Interior and Defense ministries -- will be occupied by "independent candidates" and not divvied out to someone put up by a particular political bloc, said Nuri al-Maliki, the Shiite politician tapped to be prime minister and asked to prepare a government that parliament must approve.

Among the ministries that have not been filled are Trade and Transportation, al-Maliki said.

"I hope that by the end of this week we will complete the process of submitting the Cabinet to the Iraqi parliament to vote for it," he said at a press conference in Baghdad.

Al-Maliki said the positions are being filled by consensus among lawmakers and political blocs. The major groups include the Shiite-led United Iraqi Alliance, the Sunni-led Iraqi Accord Front, the Kurdish alliance and a secular-oriented bloc.

Al-Maliki said the goal is to form a "strong," "efficient" government of national unity with a "wide base to face the coming challenges" in the diverse country -- including ethnic groups such as Arabs, Kurds and Turkmens; religions such as Shiite, Sunni, Christian and Yazidi; secularists; and mixtures of all of these groups.

Iraqi lawmakers aren't disclosing details of nominees for Cabinet seats until leaders of the political blocs hash out the remaining posts.

"Maybe today or tomorrow we will complete the formation of the government because we've already completed the majority of the work," he said, adding that "just a few" positions remain unfilled.

The Cabinet list must be presented to parliament, the 275-member Council of Representatives, by May 22, a deadline stipulated by the Iraqi Constitution. There are expected to be more than three dozen ministries in the government.

The completion of a government so soon would be swift, efficient work for a group of lawmakers who have struggled and squabbled through extended delays.

It has been nearly five months since the December 15 parliamentary elections, and prolonged disagreement over the first choice of a prime minister delayed the formation of a government. Al-Maliki finally was selected a little more than two weeks ago as prime minister.

The Bush administration, led by Zalmay Khalilzad, U.S. ambassador to Iraq, and U.S. lawmakers have exhorted the Iraqis to find compromise.
"Iraq is strategically heading in the right direction now," Khalilzad said Tuesday, according to Reuters.

The ambassador said it was important that members of the Cabinet not be influenced by any of the armed religious groups, Reuters reported.

"I think there is broad agreement that the Minister of Defense and the Minister of Interior have to be independent people who are unifiers and who do not have ties to militias and are above politics," Reuters quoted him as saying.

Dave Lane
05-09-2006, 11:08 PM
I used to always say with computer programing that 90% of the code took 90% of the time and 10% of the code took 90% of the time..

Dave

banyon
05-10-2006, 12:23 AM

Ugly Duck
05-10-2006, 12:32 AM
We can declare noble victory right before the congressional elections. Mission Accomplished!

Taco John
05-10-2006, 01:18 AM
I used to always say with computer programing that 90% of the code took 90% of the time and 10% of the code took 90% of the time..

Dave

Did people ever give you puzzled looks when you said that?

Loki
05-10-2006, 01:33 AM
We can declare noble victory right before the congressional elections. Mission Accomplished!

classic.

these spankrags are finally getting something productive done and
somehow you've got to make it about bush.

:rolleyes:

go bowe
05-10-2006, 01:48 AM
spankrags?

i don't think i've heard that one before...

but you're right that the iraqi parliment is beginning to look like it might actually work...

politics in iraq...

whodathunk it?

Nightwish
05-10-2006, 03:33 AM
classic.

these spankrags are finally getting something productive done and
somehow you've got to make it about bush.

:rolleyes:I believe the implication is that when it comes time to play the card, it is you all who are going to make it about Bush.

patteeu
05-10-2006, 06:58 AM

Dave

ROFL Well that's perfect then. It's taken the new PM designate about 2 weeks to work out 90% of his cabinet and he has about 2 weeks left to fill out the other 10%.

Loki
05-10-2006, 07:09 AM
I believe the implication is that when it comes time to play the card, it is you all who are going to make it about Bush.

uhhh huh....

so where's your "mission accomplished" statement?

Nightwish
05-10-2006, 05:04 PM
so where's your "mission accomplished" statement?
I dunno. Aside from removing Saddam from power, which mission is already accomplished?

Loki
05-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I dunno. Aside from removing Saddam from power, which mission is already accomplished?

apparently you're missing my point...

nevermind.
carry on.

WoodDraw
05-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Well that's perfect then. It's taken the new PM designate about 2 weeks to work out 90% of his cabinet and he has about 2 weeks left to fill out the other 10%.

That's some pretty heavy spin there. The elections were held in December of 2005, so this has been anything but a speedy process. It took four months to come to a compromise that involved not having an Iranian pawn as PM. Now the recent events have been encouraging, at least relative to the prior mess, but let's not pretend that everything before two weeks again didn't happen.

patteeu
05-11-2006, 08:23 AM
That's some pretty heavy spin there. The elections were held in December of 2005, so this has been anything but a speedy process. It took four months to come to a compromise that involved not having an Iranian pawn as PM. Now the recent events have been encouraging, at least relative to the prior mess, but let's not pretend that everything before two weeks again didn't happen.

Sure, and lets not pretend that the remaining 10% of the cabinet will be as contentious as the Prime Minister selection. I was chuckling at Dave's humorous post not taking it as a serious comment and responding in kind.

stevieray
05-11-2006, 08:28 AM
I wonder if the English scoffed at our founding fathers in their attempt at a new government?

mlyonsd
05-11-2006, 08:38 AM
spankrags?

i don't think i've heard that one before...

but you're right that the iraqi parliment is beginning to look like it might actually work...

politics in iraq...

whodathunk it?

Stop with the optimisim.

Until Disney opens BaghdadWorld its obvious this whole Iraq thing is a complete dismal failure.

Radar Chief
05-11-2006, 02:52 PM

ROFL We need a “fly’n right over your head” smiley. ;)

go bowe
05-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Stop with the optimisim.

Until Disney opens BaghdadWorld its obvious this whole Iraq thing is a complete dismal failure.while there have been failures in iraq, lots of them, i'm not ready to call the whole misadventure a complete failure...

the elected iraqi government is functioning, sort of, and that is a first...

the iraqi security forces are improving and taking the lead in operations more frequently...

so yeah, i am cautiously optimistic...

go bowe
05-11-2006, 03:21 PM
ROFL We need a “fly’n right over your head” smiley. ;)every time i read your sig, i chuckle...

"recoil"...

priceless...

Mohammed
05-11-2006, 11:04 PM
I like to wait until all of the dominoes are set up before I knock them down.

Loki
05-11-2006, 11:47 PM
I wonder if the English scoffed at our founding fathers in their attempt at a new government?

heh...

Nightwish
05-11-2006, 11:51 PM
ROFL We need a “fly’n right over your head” smiley. ;)He asked me "where's your 'mission accomplished' statement?" Was there something implicit in that question that meant something other than "where's your 'mission accomplished' statement?" That's the question I was answering. If Loki meant something else, he needs to work on his English.

For the record, yes, I understand he didn't mean it literally. He was merely trying to deflect from my point (a pretty weak deflection, but a deflection nonetheless). In response, I simply refused to play his game, and chose to answer the question as if he meant it literally, since he doesn't seem to want to be bothered to address the point I made, namely that when the time comes to play that card, it will be you all, the Bush lackeys, who will be trying to make it all about Bush. I dare thee to claim otherwise.

Loki
05-12-2006, 12:06 AM
He asked me "where's your 'mission accomplished' statement?" Was there something implicit in that question that meant something other than "where's your 'mission accomplished' statement?" That's the question I was answering. If Loki meant something else, he needs to work on his English.

For the record, yes, I understand he didn't mean it literally. He was merely trying to deflect from my point (a pretty weak deflection, but a deflection nonetheless). In response, I simply refused to play his game, and chose to answer the question as if he meant it literally, since he doesn't seem to want to be bothered to address the point I made, namely that when the time comes to play that card, it will be you all, the Bush lackeys, who will be trying to make it all about Bush. I dare thee to claim otherwise.no, it was more like:
"i don't want to get into a pissing contest with you because it's a waste of f*cking time"

carry on.

Nightwish
05-12-2006, 12:12 AM
no, it was more like:
"i don't want to get into a pissing contest with you because it's a waste of f*cking time"
No, it was more like you made a rather nonsensical aspersion, got challenged on it, and didn't like getting challenged on it. But whatever you say, sparky.

Loki
05-12-2006, 01:08 AM
No, it was more like you made a rather nonsensical aspersion, got challenged on it, and didn't like getting challenged on it. But whatever you say, sparky.
challenged? lol...
you assume way too much and have an overly inflated self opinion.

*sigh*
let me spell this out for you one more time. it's actually quite simple so
there's really no need for you to read into it like you always seem to do.

i truly have no desire to engage you in conversation. in my experiences
with you, said conversations are nothing more than pissing contests and
a complete waste of my time (and here i am *yet again* wasting my
time trying to explain something to you...my penance for being overly
patient with the mentally challenged.)
in every single one of my "conversations" that you have been involved
in, you display zero objectivity, zero tact, use the word "deflection"
way too much and constantly claim some type of victory when there is
no contest going on.

so "sparky", chalk this one up to another hard-fought victory on your
part. you guessed what i was thinking, told me what i thought, used
a couple of 25 cent words, said "deflection" 400 times, laid the
gauntlet down and by god, your stream of piss went WAY further than
mine could ever hope to!!! :thumb:

Taco John
05-12-2006, 01:11 AM

Well, they sent troops over to quash it. So there's that... :drool:

Nightwish
05-12-2006, 01:22 AM
challenged? lol...
you assume way too much and have an overly inflated self opinion.

*sigh*
let me spell this out for you one more time. it's actually quite simple so
there's really no need for you to read into it like you always seem to do.

i truly have no desire to engage you in conversation. in my experiences
with you, said conversations are nothing more than pissing contests and
a complete waste of my time (and here i am *yet again* wasting my
time trying to explain something to you...my penance for being overly
patient with the mentally challenged.)
in every single one of my "conversations" that you have been involved
in, you display zero objectivity, zero tact, use the word "deflection"
way too much and constantly claim some type of victory when there is
no contest going on.

mine could ever hope to!!! :thumb:Let me spell this out for you one more time. If you don't wish to be challenged for making stupid, asenine and nonsensical aspersions, don't make stupid, asenine and nonsensical aspersions. It ain't rocket science, sparky! You can try to deflect all you like, but you got caught with your pants down, for about the umpteenth time. If your experience with me has been nothing but negative, you can blame your penchant for baseless and insipid comments for the trend. And if you want to keep playing your victim card, by all means, feel free. You're good at it. Between you, Chiefs Express and StevieRay, there's none better!

Loki
05-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Let me spell this out for you one more time. If you don't wish to be challenged for making stupid, asenine and nonsensical aspersions, don't make stupid, asenine and nonsensical aspersions. It ain't rocket science, sparky! You can try to deflect all you like, but you got caught with your pants down, for about the umpteenth time. If your experience with me has been nothing but negative, you can blame your penchant for baseless and insipid comments for the trend. And if you want to keep playing your victim card, by all means, feel free. You're good at it. Between you, Chiefs Express and StevieRay, there's none better!

ok, you've piqued my curiosity. elaborate on these points please.

but you got caught with your pants down, for about the umpteenth time

WTF does that mean? please provide examples.

And if you want to keep playing your victim card, by all means, feel free

you certainly like your cliches don't you?
how is anything i have said to you playing a "victim card"?

Nightwish
05-12-2006, 01:44 AM
you certainly like your cliches don't you?
how is anything i have said to you playing a "victim card"?
See post #25. The whole thing is pretty much a textbook example of the "Oh, woe is me, you'll never give me an even break" victim mentality.

Loki
05-12-2006, 02:17 AM
See post #25. The whole thing is pretty much a textbook example of the "Oh, woe is me, you'll never give me an even break" victim mentality.
that's the best you can come up with?
more assumptions called "textbook examples"??
weak.

truly, that's some ego you have. hate to burst your bubble e-thugg, but
i really don't care if you "give me a break". you are delusional if you think
your opinion(s) of me matter in the slightest.

i'm more irritated with myself for getting sucked into this lame-a$$ed
banter with a known megalomaniac!!

friggin' waste of time... :shake:
have a great night.

Radar Chief
05-12-2006, 07:54 AM
He asked me "where's your 'mission accomplished' statement?" Was there something implicit in that question that meant something other than "where's your 'mission accomplished' statement?" That's the question I was answering. If Loki meant something else, he needs to work on his English.

For the record, yes, I understand he didn't mean it literally. He was merely trying to deflect from my point (a pretty weak deflection, but a deflection nonetheless). In response, I simply refused to play his game, and chose to answer the question as if he meant it literally, since he doesn't seem to want to be bothered to address the point I made, namely that when the time comes to play that card, it will be you all, the Bush lackeys, who will be trying to make it all about Bush. I dare thee to claim otherwise.

You should really try reread’n this very topic.
What he’s talk’n ‘bout is plainly displayed right here, and yes it is refuting this assertion.

If Loki meant something else, he needs to work on his English.

Couldn’t let it go without an attempted insult, huh? :rolleyes:
And maybe you should try figure’n it out for yourself. We can only lead an ideologue to the information, the ideologue will eventually have to make the leap to comprehension on their own. ;)

Radar Chief
05-12-2006, 07:57 AM
mine could ever hope to!!! :thumb:

ROFL “Mission Accomplished” :clap:

Nightwish
05-12-2006, 10:19 PM
truly, that's some ego you have. hate to burst your bubble e-thugg, but i really don't care if you "give me a break". you are delusional if you think your opinion(s) of me matter in the slightest.
Have you ever read Shakespeare? Are you familiar with the line "methinks the lady doth protest too much," and what it means?

i'm more irritated with myself for getting sucked into this lame-a$$ed banter with a known megalomaniac!!
Uh huh. Is that why you've spent so many posts talking about it?

Nightwish
05-12-2006, 10:22 PM
You should really try reread’n this very topic.
What he’s talk’n ‘bout is plainly displayed right here, and yes it is refuting this assertion.
Where did you see the assertion refuted? If Iraq does successfully put together a unity government, then it doesn't benefit the anti-Bush crowd to make a success in Iraq "about Bush." It does benefit the thinning crowd of Bush lackeys, however. Where have you seen any of the anti-Bush crowd making the potential success of an Iraqi government "about Bush," aside from pointing out the fact that you all are very likely going to make it about Bush come election time?

Nightwish
05-12-2006, 11:43 PM
WTF does that mean? please provide examples.

Sure, I'd be happy to. And along the way, we'll see who exactly it is that has degraded each of our "conversations" into pissing contests.

Intro: Loki claims that Saddam apparently did have a hidden cache of chemical weapons, because our troops have been repeatedly targeted by the use of ied's, including ied's made from hand-held rockets and artillery shells.

Response: Nightwish points out, in a perfectly civil manner, that, by definition, ied's are homemade bombs, made by your average Joe Terrorist in his home, and are not part of a state's arsenal, even though some of them may have been made from pilfered 20-year-old munitions. Thus, the use of ied's in no way suggests that Saddam had hidden caches of chemical weapons.

Result: Loki returns a snide comment, curtly "thanking" me (sarcastically) for my "lesson on ied's."

Intro: Loki claims that our troops have not only been widely targeted by ied's, but also that the use of deadly chemicals in those ied's has been widespread. When challenged to produce a source for this information, Loki claims "his friend who is in Iraq" told him so.

Response: Nightwish points out, again, in a pretty civil manner, a couple things. First, there have been several articles posted in various media about the discovery of ied's containing trace amounts of ricin and mustard gas, but that the amounts were so small and so degraded that they were harmless, indicating only that those munitions contained those chemicals many years ago, and that these articles may have been the source for his friend's "knowledge" of the "widespread" use of chemical weapons against US troops, despite the fact that no such reports have come back from Iraq.

Result: Loki goes nuts, throws a hissy fit, and starts ranting about how I'm personally attacking him, insulting him and insulting his friend.

Intro: one poster predicts that come election time, the right wing will prop up the recent successes with the Iraqi government as evidence of the good work of Bush and the GOP, making it "about Bush."

Response from Loki: Loki whines that the lefties just have to go and take a good thing and "make it about Bush" (possibly the silliest thing ever said on the Planet, which saying something).

Response from Nightwish (still civil at this point): Nightwish points out that the other poster was not "making it about Bush," but instead predicting that the right will "make it about Bush" when it comes time to play that card just before the November elections.

Result: Loki, in his usual decorum, returns a snide remark with the baited question, "So where is your 'Mission Accomplished' statement?" The rest followed the trend of our other discussions, with Loki again flying into a hissy fit about how he can't catch an even break, how all our "conversations" are nothing but pissing contests (we can thank Loki and his inability to maintain civility once his opinion is challenged for that, of course). Need I say more?

Loki
05-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Sure, I'd be happy to. And along the way, we'll see who exactly it is that has degraded each of our "conversations" into pissing contests.
lol... what a crock of sh*t!!

provide the links to your "civil" responses/points/questions. you've always been childish, sarcastic, insulting and baiting.
go ahead... do it.
your little "summary" is total BS, and is in NO WAY how things have gone. some of the proof can be found in this thread alone.

feel free to post the links to my so called "hissy fits" while you're at it. i'm willing to take the hit if i've acted like a b*tch. are you?

doubt it.

ps: maybe we should change the thread title to " yet another pointless argument... brought to you by nightwish 'the civil' ".

Nightwish
05-13-2006, 12:41 AM
feel free to post the links to my so called "hissy fits" while you're at it. i'm willing to take the hit if i've acted like a b*tch. are you?

How about post #25, for starters. That's a hissy fit in about anyone's book, except perhaps your own (or maybe Radar Chief's, who seems to have dubbed himself your keeper of late, but I suspect if he's honest, he'll admit what a crying fit that one was).

Loki
05-13-2006, 01:06 AM
ROFL “Mission Accomplished” :clap:

oi... apparently "mission just begun". :rolleyes:

thanks for the support and all radar, but unfortunately your display of support is going to do nothing but wind him up even more. he's going to have to save face for certain now. (expect an insult thrown your way in 3... 2... 1...)
it would have been easy for him to handle me considering i've been caught with my pants down (for the umpteenth time) and i'm playing my victim card. now that you're involved, he's going to have to bust out his handy thesaurus, adjust his deflector-beams and get ready to lay down some serious lessons in civility.

(i can picture him now all red faced, veins in forehead bulging, cussing at the monitor screen and furiously typing some "perfectly civil" response. it won't make much sense, certainly won't prove anything, but by thor's beard, it'll make him the victor...)

LOL !!
:)

Nightwish
05-13-2006, 01:11 AM

thanks for the support and all radar, but unfortunately your display of support is going to do nothing but wind him up even more. he's going to have to save face for certain now. (expect an insult thrown your way in 3... 2... 1...)
it would have been easy for him to handle me considering i've been caught with my pants down (for the umpteenth time) and i'm playing my victim card. now that you're involved, he's going to have to bust out his handy thesaurus, adjust his deflector-beams and get ready to lay down some serious lessons in civility.

(i can picture him now all red faced, veins in forehead bulging, cussing at the monitor screen and furiously typing some "perfectly civil" response. it won't make much sense, certainly won't prove anything, but by thor's beard, it'll make him the victor...)

LOL !!
:)Ah man, I hate to spoil yet another perfectly good self-pity rant, but I'm going to have to. I've disagreed with RC numerous times, on nearly all points, but I don't recall that I've ever had to resort to insulting him. He possesses a quality that you don't - self-control. I deal with people in the manner in which they first deal with me. If someone doesn't first start slamming me with personal attacks, insults, childish rants and namecalling, I'm usually not inclined to go that way with them, no matter how much we disagree. As often as I disagree with RC, I have a great deal of respect for him, as he's earned it. You, on the other hand, have earned exactly zero respect, and that's exactly how much you're going to get.

banyon
05-13-2006, 10:42 AM
ROFL We need a “fly’n right over your head” smiley. ;)

This is about all I could come up with without tryin' very hard.
http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphis/phpbb/images/smiles/05-duck.gif

go bowe
05-13-2006, 03:10 PM
How about post #25, for starters. That's a hissy fit in about anyone's book, except perhaps your own (or maybe Radar Chief's, who seems to have dubbed himself your keeper of late, but I suspect if he's honest, he'll admit what a crying fit that one was).how long have you been here?

that's not even close to a hissy fit... :shake: :shake: :shake:

in fact, i think you've grossly mischaracterized loki's posts during your lecture...

loki is and has always been honest...

you don't know wtf you are talking about...

in short, sir, your and idiot... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph:

go bowe
05-13-2006, 03:14 PM

LOL !!
:)ok, this is beginning to sound like steven colbert at the white house press correspondents dinner...

funny, yet it rings true somehow...

go bowe
05-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Ah man, I hate to spoil yet another perfectly good self-pity rant, but I'm going to have to. I've disagreed with RC numerous times, on nearly all points, but I don't recall that I've ever had to resort to insulting him. He possesses a quality that you don't - self-control. I deal with people in the manner in which they first deal with me. If someone doesn't first start slamming me with personal attacks, insults, childish rants and namecalling, I'm usually not inclined to go that way with them, no matter how much we disagree. As often as I disagree with RC, I have a great deal of respect for him, as he's earned it. You, on the other hand, have earned exactly zero respect, and that's exactly how much you're going to get.ooh ooh...

do i qualify for zero respect yet?

i could insult you some more if it would help... :p :p :p

Nightwish
05-13-2006, 09:27 PM
how long have you been here?

that's not even close to a hissy fit... :shake: :shake: :shake:

in fact, i think you've grossly mischaracterized loki's posts during your lecture...

loki is and has always been honest...

you don't know wtf you are talking about...

in short, sir, your and idiot... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph:Call it what you will, and your personal opinion of Loki has no bearing on anything here, it's a hissy fit. And, for the record, I haven't questioned his honesty (except perhaps in pointing out that his only source for the "widespread use of chemical weapons against our troops" was that his friend told him so), so if you're going to berate me for something I've challenged him on, you would do well to choose one that has relevance. I have certainly questioned his maturity, so if you want to be a homer for him on that score, feel free.

Nightwish
05-13-2006, 09:27 PM
ok, this is beginning to sound like steven colbert at the white house press correspondents dinner...

funny, yet it rings true somehow...
You don't know me very well, do you?

Nightwish
05-13-2006, 09:28 PM
ooh ooh...

do i qualify for zero respect yet?

i could insult you some more if it would help... :p :p :p
No, because you occasionally have something worthwhile to say. Loki, on the other hand ...

go bowe
05-13-2006, 10:37 PM
You don't know me very well, do you?no, i can't say that i do...

i just thought you were going a little overboard with your summary of the posts on this thread...

loki's been ar0und a long time, and i know what to expect of him...

and i know he's always stratightforward and quite clear about his ideas, even if i don't always agree with him...

loki is not one of our mentally challenged d.c. posters, seriously...

go bowe
05-13-2006, 10:38 PM
No, because you occasionally have something worthwhile to say. Loki, on the other hand ...worthwhile?

darn, i'm gonna have to try harder... :D :D :D

Nightwish
05-13-2006, 11:03 PM
no, i can't say that i do...

i just thought you were going a little overboard with your summary of the posts on this thread...

loki's been ar0und a long time, and i know what to expect of him...

and i know he's always stratightforward and quite clear about his ideas, even if i don't always agree with him...

loki is not one of our mentally challenged d.c. posters, seriously...
I don't pay attention to every post Loki makes. He may be a perfectly reasonable and rational poster in other conversations with other people. In his conversations with me, however, which I do pay attention to, he has degenerated into a little biatch each and every time, and usually without prior provocation from me. In almost every one of our conversations, my tone to him has remained civil up until the point that he has decided to take my criticisms, challenges and general disagreement as personal attacks and make it personal. Perhaps he believes I wronged him in another life, but I seem to bring out the very worst in him, and for no explicable reason, though I do have to admit I find his rants entertaining at times.

go bowe
05-13-2006, 11:22 PM
well, entertainment is why we all come here... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: