PDA

View Full Version : Vatican astronomer denounces Creationism as "paganism"

jAZ
05-10-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/09/vatican_astronomer_d.html
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=674042006

Tuesday, May 9, 2006
Vatican astronomer denounces Creationism as "paganism"

A Vatican Astronomer (a surprisingly hoopy frood, incidentally) has denounced Creationism and the idea that the universe was created in seven days as "superstition" and "paganism" at a speech at the Glasgow Science Centre. He also called Papal Infallability a "PR disaster."
He described creationism, whose supporters want it taught in schools alongside evolution, as a "kind of paganism" because it harked back to the days of "nature gods" who were responsible for natural events.

Brother Consolmagno argued that the Christian God was a supernatural one, a belief that had led the clergy in the past to become involved in science to seek natural reasons for phenomena such as thunder and lightning, which had been previously attributed to vengeful gods. "Knowledge is dangerous, but so is ignorance. That's why science and religion need to talk to each other," he said.

"Religion needs science to keep it away from superstition and keep it close to reality, to protect it from creationism, which at the end of the day is a kind of paganism - it's turning God into a nature god. And science needs religion in order to have a conscience, to know that, just because something is possible, it may not be a good thing to do."

Jesus
05-10-2006, 02:50 PM
After Peter denied me the third time, I began to wonder about him myself despite the prophecy. Leaving men to do God's job leads to imperfection though.

banyon
05-10-2006, 03:00 PM
what happens if you neg rep Jesus?

Bowser
05-10-2006, 03:40 PM

You'll be helping the terrorists win.

Reaper16
05-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Nothing. He'll turn the other cheek and turn neg rep into 100 post threads. He's the Messiah.

WilliamTheIrish
05-10-2006, 09:58 PM
You'll be helping the terrorists win.

You're kids end up in parochial school. Learning the meaning of original sin from nuns.

At least that happened to me.

BucEyedPea
05-10-2006, 10:16 PM
RCC has always had certain priests that don't follow doctrines or dogmas and claim they are other wise. It's only when it gets to a certain point that the Vatican steps in an does s/g: either clarifies or defines a doctrine, disciplines a priest, or declares s/g a heresy...unless it's outside it's area.

But this priest is right about papal infallibility only being on the subject of the faith and it's morals as well as (unmentioned) only when the Pope speaks excathedra from his throne. It's a very official thing. It does not give any Pope cart blanche on any topic. It's only been bad PR because people don't understand how it works.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-10-2006, 11:02 PM
After Peter denied me the third time, I began to wonder about him myself despite the prophecy. Leaving men to do God's job leads to imperfection though.

What the hell was up with your dad losing to Vince and Shane McMahon at Backlash?? What are you, a family of pussies?

Mohammed
05-10-2006, 11:19 PM

Knock it off dude or I'm going to go jihad all over your ass.