PDA

View Full Version : Bush pays McCain back for his loyalty and support...

Taco John
05-10-2006, 11:15 PM
President touts brother Jeb for his job in 2008
By Brian E. Crowley

Palm Beach Post Political Editor

Thursday, May 11, 2006

ORLANDO President Bush thinks his little brother Jeb would make "a great president" but says that no matter how many times he prods his sibling about his plans, he doesn't get an answer.

"I have no idea what he's going to do," Bush said during a nearly hourlong meeting with The Palm Beach Post and six other Florida reporters.

Bush answered questions on a variety of topics, ranging from Barry Bonds and Katherine Harris to oil drilling and the Lake Okeechobee dike.

Bush said he is convinced that his brother still does not know what he will do when he leaves the governor's office in January.

"In my judgment, his political future is very bright if he chooses to have a political future," the president said. "But he's an independent-minded guy. His priority is his family.... Like a lot of other people, I've pushed him fairly hard about what he intends to do. I don't think he knows, and if he did know he wasn't going to tell me because he's afraid I'd tell you."

By law, Jeb Bush cannot seek a third consecutive term as governor. There has been speculation in political circles that he could run for president, but he has insisted he will not run in 2008.

"I think Jeb would be a great president, but again, it's up to Jeb to make the decision to run," President Bush said.

The president also reflected on his own political standing with voters. With approval ratings hovering around 31 percent, the lowest of his presidency, Bush said: "I think it's because we're at a time of war, and war is unsettling to people. People pick up your newspaper and read (about) suicide bombers killing innocent life, and Americans respect life, and they are concerned about the violence they see on a constant basis."

He said the good news of a strong economy is being overshadowed by a "sense of disquiet" over the Iraq war and the possibility of Iran making nuclear weapons. He said higher gasoline prices also trouble Americans.

All of this, Bush said, has "caused Americans to really take a look at the future and wonder whether or not it's as good as they want it to be. I understand that. On the other hand, my job is to make decisions based upon what I think is right."

Asked about U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris and her campaign for the U.S. Senate which Jeb Bush has said he doesn't think she can win Bush refused to be drawn into a direct comment.

"I will support the nominee of the party," the president said.

When pressed, Bush said: "Primaries are to be decided by the party, the local party, and obviously there's a lot of strong opinions on the subject. Once this primary has been decided, I will support the nominee."

Shortly after he made those remarks, Harris' only serious potential challenger, Florida House Speaker Allan Bense, said he would not enter the primary.

Harris is challenging Democratic incumbent Bill Nelson. Bush would not be drawn into a discussion about defeating Nelson but said Democrats' hopes of winning a majority in the House and Senate were not realistic.

"I intend to work hard to keep our majority in the House and Senate," he said. "And I believe we will because we stand for something. We stand for lower taxes. We stand for a foreign policy that recognizes the threats of the world and are willing to take on these threats head-on. We stand for helping the elderly.

"We have a very strong and positive agenda that, when articulated to the American people coming down the stretch in the campaign, I'm convinced we will continue to hold the majorities in both the House and the Senate."

Bush said he would continue to oppose oil drilling within 100 miles of Florida's coast. He also pledged to work with his brother to make sure that the dike around Lake Okeechobee remains safe.

As for San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds, who is on the verge of surpassing Babe Ruth's career home run total, Bush declined to comment on whether Bonds' statistics should carry an asterisk in the record book if it is proven he used steroids.

"My only reaction to the entire story is there should be no steroids in baseball, period," said Bush, who spoke out against steroids during a State of the Union speech. "I would hope that these great athletes would be able to achieve their successes without performance-enhancing drugs."

Taco John
05-10-2006, 11:18 PM
I've always been a big fan of McCain, and would have voted for him the first time around when Bush slandered him for adopting colored babies in the south. But his performance during the Bush era has been nothing short of dopey. He went from being a Maverick with principles, to a caddy for the worst president in history... the man who slandered him in the first place...

I still have respect for the guy... But the idea of President McCain isn't as shimmery as it used to be.

jAZ
05-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Am I missing something? I saw Jeb, Harris and Bonds mentioned in that article, but nothing about McCain.

That's not to say I don't agree with your comments, but I'm lost.

jAZ
05-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Am I missing something?
Oh! Duh... I guess I didn't miss anything techincally, except the sarcasm.

Long day.

Mohammed
05-10-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm going to go ahead and endorse the Domocratic Party right now.

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2006, 11:51 PM

Heh. The party of jihadists? No thanks...ROFL

unlurking
05-11-2006, 12:18 AM

Taco John
05-11-2006, 12:45 AM

Welcome back Tom... Nice ruse...

Taco John
05-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Heh. The party of jihadists? No thanks...ROFL

...said the Democrat... ROFL

Logical
05-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Welcome back Tom... Nice ruse...ROFL

TJ fake id buster.

Taco John
05-11-2006, 01:13 AM
8 posts in... It wasn't too hard.

Mr. Kotter
05-11-2006, 07:18 AM
...said the Democrat... ROFLExactly. I don't want the party to become a party of jihadists.....I think that would be bad for the party. :)