PDA

View Full Version : 29% mandate

John_Locke
05-11-2006, 09:11 PM
May 11, 2006, 9:12 pm
Bush’s Approval Rating Drops
President Bush’s job-approval rating has fallen to its lowest mark of his presidency, according to a new Harris Interactive poll. Of 1,003 U.S. adults surveyed in a telephone poll, 29% think Mr. Bush is doing an “excellent or pretty good” job as president, down from 35% in April and significantly lower than 43% in January.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2006/05/11/bushs-approval-ratings

Boozer
05-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Somebody has to start the "What will the GOP do to shake off W's bad juju?" thread.

I'm guessing some ultra-reactionary, anti-business immigration policy, coupled with a package of tax cuts.

Mohammed
05-11-2006, 09:58 PM
You should be praying that the next President isn't worse instead of complaining about this one. Stop crying, it is not manly.

John_Locke
05-11-2006, 10:05 PM
You should be praying that the next President isn't worse instead of complaining about this one. Stop crying, it is not manly.

not hard to find anyone better. This president has been a cyst on americas ass

no one is crying.

stop being a pussy

Taco John
05-11-2006, 10:12 PM
There's no way in hell the next president is worse, unless the same people who fixed it so George would get elected do the same for Hillary. Even then, I think Hillary would make a better president, as shocking as it is to hear myself think that. I just don't know how it could get any worse than George W. Bush.

Nightwish
05-11-2006, 11:35 PM
There's no way in hell the next president is worse, unless the same people who fixed it so George would get elected do the same for Hillary. Even then, I think Hillary would make a better president, as shocking as it is to hear myself think that. I just don't know how it could get any worse than George W. Bush.As bad as Hillary may prove to be (I'm neither a fan nor a hater), I reckon she'd be easily ten times a better president than Dubya has been. Of course, the squirrel that hangs out on my balcony would probably make a better president than Dubya has been, so that's not saying much.

Logical
05-12-2006, 01:18 AM
May 11, 2006, 9:12 pm
Bush’s Approval Rating Drops
President Bush’s job-approval rating has fallen to its lowest mark of his presidency, according to a new Harris Interactive poll. Of 1,003 U.S. adults surveyed in a telephone poll, 29% think Mr. Bush is doing an “excellent or pretty good” job as president, down from 35% in April and significantly lower than 43% in January.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2006/05/11/bushs-approval-ratings
Looks like he is going surpass Nixon's low of 28%. I would love to see him fall under 20% that would be what he deserves as a legacy.

Radar Chief
05-12-2006, 07:18 AM
There's no way in hell the next president is worse, unless the same people who fixed it so George would get elected do the same for Hillary. Even then, I think Hillary would make a better president, as shocking as it is to hear myself think that. I just don't know how it could get any worse than George W. Bush.

Many felt the exact same way ‘bout Clinton. And GHW Bush before’im. And Reagan before’im. The mantra never changes, just the people chant’n it. ;)

Radar Chief
05-12-2006, 07:20 AM
not hard to find anyone better. This president has been a cyst on americas ass

no one is crying.

stop being a pussy

Yea, cause, like, it’s so much harder to blindly criticize. :thumb:

stevieray
05-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Not surprising, considering more people in this country vote for the next American Idol, than they did to elect the President. Our prioriities are so in place, we think being someone's wife is qualification for being President.

If this country keeps just two families in power for over two decades, we deserve what we get and shows we aren't moving forward as a Nation.

jAZ
05-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Somebody has to start the "What will the GOP do to shake off W's bad juju?" thread.

I'm guessing some ultra-reactionary, anti-business immigration policy, coupled with a package of tax cuts.
http://www.terror-alert.com/images/TerrorAlertHigh.jpg

jAZ
05-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Many felt the exact same way ‘bout Clinton. And GHW Bush before’im. And Reagan before’im. The mantra never changes, just the people chant’n it. ;)
The people who thought we couldn't do worse than Clinton (70% approval ratings at the end) likely the exact same people who think Bush is doing well now (30%).

Amnorix
05-12-2006, 08:00 AM
As bad as Hillary may prove to be (I'm neither a fan nor a hater), I reckon she'd be easily ten times a better president than Dubya has been. Of course, the squirrel that hangs out on my balcony would probably make a better president than Dubya has been, so that's not saying much.

ROFL ROFL

Amnorix
05-12-2006, 08:01 AM

I don't think any of those guys broke the 70% disapproval mark...

Amnorix
05-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Not surprising, considering more people in this country vote for the next American Idol, than they did to elect the President. Our prioriities are so in place, we think being someone's wife is qualification for being President.

Hillary has more than being someone's wife. Actually, she has at least as much as Mr. Former President's Son, now that you mention it...

As for the American Idol voting comparison -- maybe. I know the numbers of votes received are huge, but I'm assuming many people vote multiple times. Anyone confirm this either way? I'd be interested in knowing.

jAZ
05-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Hillary has more than being someone's wife. Actually, she has at least as much as Mr. Former President's Son, now that you mention it...

As for the American Idol voting comparison -- maybe. I know the numbers of votes received are huge, but I'm assuming many people vote multiple times. Anyone confirm this either way? I'd be interested in knowing.
My friends girlfriend votes multiple times.

Radar Chief
05-12-2006, 08:15 AM
The people who thought we couldn't do worse than Clinton (70% approval ratings at the end) likely the exact same people who think Bush is doing well now (30%).

Could be. :shrug:
Then again maybe not, got any proof of that? Wouldn’t want it to be called a “lie”. ;)

Radar Chief
05-12-2006, 08:16 AM
I don't think any of those guys broke the 70% disapproval mark...

Does teh Debil have a “70% disapproval rate’n”? Seriously, I don’t keep track.

oldandslow
05-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Still a long time until November - BUT - for the first time I am thinking a realigning election is coming down the pike.

I saw a chart the other day that linked (historically) presidential popularity and seat loss in the house during off year elections. At 30 percent, if history holds, repubs are apt to lose 70 seats.

patteeu
05-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Still a long time until November - BUT - for the first time I am thinking a realigning election is coming down the pike.

I saw a chart the other day that linked (historically) presidential popularity and seat loss in the house during off year elections. At 30 percent, if history holds, repubs are apt to lose 70 seats.

If the democrats can't take advantage of the current disapproval of Bush and sweep in a new, substantial dem majority in the House it will be a monumental failure. Having said that, I expect the Republicans to hang on to a slim majority and there's no way the dems will take over the Senate. ;)

But like you say, it's a long way until November.

Amnorix
05-12-2006, 09:14 AM
If the democrats can't take advantage of the current disapproval of Bush and sweep in a new, substantial dem majority in the House it will be a monumental failure. Having said that, I expect the Republicans to hang on to a slim majority and there's no way the dems will take over the Senate. ;)

That's quite a way to set the bar for Republican success. It's anything but a new, substantial dem majority in the House. You know as well as I that general dissatisfaction with a party doesn't always result in sweeping changes in the Congress, since it's not rare to have "Republicans [or Democrats] suck, but not MY guy" mentality.

And as everyone says, it's a long way to the elections.

patteeu
05-12-2006, 09:23 AM
That's quite a way to set the bar for Republican success. It's anything but a new, substantial dem majority in the House. You know as well as I that general dissatisfaction with a party doesn't always result in sweeping changes in the Congress, since it's not rare to have "Republicans [or Democrats] suck, but not MY guy" mentality.

And as everyone says, it's a long way to the elections.

True. That's why I think the Republicans are going to hold onto a slim majority.

jAZ
05-12-2006, 09:33 AM
True.
Good for you for being able to admit that you are playing the game of managing expectations. It's a small step for most to admit the obvious, but it's a rather large step for you.

patteeu
05-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Good for you for being able to admit that you are playing the game of managing expectations. It's a small step for most to admit the obvious, but it's a rather large step for you.

I guess I need to be a little more clear. The part of Amno's post that I was endorsing was:

You know as well as I that general dissatisfaction with a party doesn't always result in sweeping changes in the Congress, since it's not rare to have "Republicans [or Democrats] suck, but not MY guy" mentality.

General dissatisfaction doesn't always result in sweeping changes, but sometimes it does (e.g. 1994). The dems have an opportunity this year, but it's also possible they will bungle it and the Repubs will fair better than many in this thread expect. If that happens, it will be a monumental failure and that IS what I expect to happen.

Sorry to disappoint you.

jAZ
05-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Sorry to disappoint you.
ROFL
Trust me, you *never* disappoint.
...sometimes [[note: not "often", but merely "sometimes"]] ("General dissatisfaction") does ("result in sweeping changes") ...it's also possible ("The dems") will bungle ("an opportunity this year") and the Repubs will fair better than many in this thread expect. If that happens, it will be a monumental failure and that IS what I expect to happen.
Trying to suggest that anything less than a "substantial dem majority in the House ... will be a monumental failure" is just flat out funny. Nice bar mangement though.

Radar Chief
05-12-2006, 10:24 AM
ROFL Nice bar mangement though.

“Bar management”? Well, in that case I’ll have a frosty one, in a “clean” (wink, nudge) glass.
It is Friday after all. :BLVD:

oldandslow
05-12-2006, 01:45 PM

Patteeu:

I have my doubts about the senate as well...

but when Brown is beating Dewine in Ohio - you never know...

From Rasmussen...

In Ohio, Brown Pulls Ahead of DeWine

In Ohio's U.S. Senate race, Rep. Sherrod Brown (D) holds a three-point lead over Sen. Mike DeWine (R), 44% to 41%, according to a new Rasmussen Reports poll.

"That's the first time he's been ahead in any of our six Ohio polls for Election 2006. It's worth noting that DeWine has lost ground in four straight polls."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2006/05/12/in_ohio_br...

Yeah, it's Rasmussen, but his polls usually lean to the right.

Baby Lee
05-12-2006, 02:01 PM

The word you are looking for is colassal. ;)

Hydrae
05-12-2006, 02:07 PM

If this country keeps just two families in power for over two decades, we deserve what we get and shows we aren't moving forward as a Nation.

:clap:

Dave Lane
05-12-2006, 02:16 PM

How about writing a check for $100 to everyone in the US to ... Oh wait didn't thy already do that?

Dave

beer bacon
05-13-2006, 08:41 AM

I am thinking they will abolish taxes all together, with an accompanied tripling in federal government spending.

Dave Lane
05-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Does teh Debil have a “70% disapproval rate’n”? Seriously, I don’t keep track.

100 - 29 = 71

Math made easy by Dave

Dave

wazu
05-13-2006, 08:50 PM

This was the main reason I refused to vote for GWB in 2000. It just seemed so absurd that the best candidate the Republicans could come up with was the son of president that wasn't all that great.