PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever read Angels & Demons?

Taco John
05-12-2006, 03:49 AM
Finishing the book now...

patteeu
05-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Yes. I thought it was pretty good, but I have to admit I don't remember a lot of the details. I'm finishing The Da Vinci Code right now. I prefer The Da Vinci Code, but I've heard a lot of people say just the opposite.

BucEyedPea
05-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I heard that too patteeu...some like Angels & Demons more and vice versa.
I have them both next on my list....after "Military Blunders of the British Empire." ROFL

Sully
05-12-2006, 10:44 AM
I read it, and remember thinking it was on par with or better than "DaVinci." But I've now read "DaVinci" 3 times, so I remember little about "Angels." ll I can think of is a helicopter flying over Vatican City.

irishjayhawk
05-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Angels and Demons was better. DaVinci got the press and subsequently the movie.

Both are really good.

Dave Lane
05-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Yes...

Dave

WoodDraw
05-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I've read it. If you liked The Da Vinci Code you'd probably enjoy it. Brown uses the same techniques and structure with both.

Bowser
05-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Yes. Both are good books.

Is Angels and Demons the prequel or sequel to DaVinci?

Aries Walker
05-12-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm just finishing The DaVinci Code now. It's okay, I guess, but I probably won't get Angels and Demons.

DaneMcCloud
05-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Angels and Demons was just as good, if not better than the Da Vinci Code, IMO. And talks have started in regards to adapting it for film.

Bowser
05-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Angels and Demons was just as good, if not better than the Da Vinci Code, IMO. And talks have started in regards to adapting it for film.

Cool. You would think that book would translate to film better, with having more action in it....

Taco John
05-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Angels and Demons is a very visual book... I'm suprised it didn't get the movie first, though I haven't read Divinci yet...

irishjayhawk
05-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Angels and Demons is a very visual book... I'm suprised it didn't get the movie first, though I haven't read Divinci yet...
Exactly my thoughts. It has much more movie potential than DaVinci did/does.

Logical
05-12-2006, 08:23 PM
DaVinci Code is slightly better for a movie, but Angels and Demons made a better book. They both are sort of formula books but I liked them both.

Digital Fortress has a similar pattern but not quite the same formula and is still pretty good. It does have a nice plot twist that I was not expecting.

Deception Point is just not nearly the same quality and too contrived for my tastes. Also it seems like he was in hurry to get it rushed to publication, so he cuts corners and leaves plot lines that are just not fleshed out properly, I probably would not bother with it.

Logical
05-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Exactly my thoughts. It has much more movie potential than DaVinci did/does.Problem with Angels and Demons is there is too much going on to make a movie where anyone who has read the book will be satisfied. You would have to leave out so many of the fine details that make it interesting and explaining some of the background information that is not general knowledge but key to the story would either result in a really long movie or a movie a lot of folks who never read the book would walk out saying WTF?

irishjayhawk
05-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Problem with Angels and Demons is there is too much going on to make a movie where anyone who has read the book will be satisfied. You would have to leave out so many of the fine details that make it interesting and explaining some of the background information that is not general knowledge but key to the story would either result in a really long movie or a movie a lot of folks who never read the book would walk out saying WTF?
Fair point. Its a big thing with the Potter series too.

Taco John
05-13-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with the plot twist at the end of Angels & Demons... Or I guess I should say double plot twist... I almost feel betrayed by the author.

I think I'm going to have to stew on it for awhile.

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Problem with Angels and Demons is there is too much going on to make a movie where anyone who has read the book will be satisfied. You would have to leave out so many of the fine details that make it interesting and explaining some of the background information that is not general knowledge but key to the story would either result in a really long movie or a movie a lot of folks who never read the book would walk out saying WTF?

I agree that much of A&D would somehow have to be explained through voice-over or quick dialogue. I also think that it would appeal even more to anti-Catholics than Catholics, because of the premise. The ending, IMO, is super fantastical and could easily have an ultra lame TV Movie of the Week feel if not done correctly.

That being said, in the hands of the "right" screenwriter and "right" director, it could be a facinating movie experience. Just don't expect the Vatican to allow any shooting!

Count Alex's Losses
05-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Apparently the new movie is MUCH better than The DaVinci Code.

And I actually really liked The DVC.

HonestChieffan
05-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Both A n D and DaVinci Code were excellent reads

DaKCMan AP
05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Yes, read both A&D and DVC. Enjoyed them both, can't really vault one over the other.

Reaper16
05-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Trash excuses for literature. Dan Brown sucks hard as a writer, though his premises and plots are kinda cool. There's too much good, unheralded fiction being published to waste time with with the pop-lit authors. Hell, there's too much good, unheralded fiction from KC local authors being published (Whitney Terrell, Matthew Eck, Christie Hodgen, Deb Olin Unferth, Clancy Martin, etc.) to waste time with pop-lit authors.

I did like the DVC movie for what it was, though. As a historically inaccurate popcorn flick, I'll take DaVinci Code over stuff like National Treasure every time. I'll go see Angels & Demons, too.

Count Alex's Losses
05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
As a historically inaccurate popcorn flick, I'll take DaVinci Code over stuff like National Treasure every time.

This.

I'll take religion being shat on for $5000, Alex.

Demonpenz
05-12-2009, 01:45 PM
is it a better read than twilight? I was disappointed with the twilight movie

Mojo Jojo
05-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Very few people read "Angels and Demons" until the success of "The Da Vinci Code" even though it was written three years earlier. Very few people ever heard of Dan Brown until "The Da Vinci Code" after that people went back to find his earlier works.

SBK
05-12-2009, 04:57 PM
is it a better read than twilight? I was disappointed with the twilight movie

If you're a dude your man card was just revoked.

Frazod
05-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Think National Treasure, only in Rome. I thought the book was dumb, except for some of the interesting things in it about the Vatican, and there's no telling how much of that is actually true.

I may rent it when it comes out on DVD, but I'm not paying theater prices for it.

Nightwish
05-12-2009, 05:48 PM
is it a better read than twilight?
The user manual for a hammer is a better read than Twilight. And I'm a lover of vampire novels!

Ebolapox
05-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm probably one of a very few people other than his family to have read it before da vinci code. read it within a year or so of it coming out.

enjoyed it, prefer it to da vinci (although it's pretty close).

Reaper16
05-12-2009, 08:02 PM
I really hate how Americans only read shit.

stevieray
05-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Art has to be subjective, so it can create an objective, which in its purest form is to make you feel...

both artist and the masses are vulnerable to surrendering a part of themselves.

irishjayhawk
05-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I really hate how Americans only read shit.

Reading shit without recognizing it as shit is one thing. Reading it knowing it's shit is another.

Jenson71
05-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I read it but I can't remember much about it at all. I flew through DVC and it stuck with me.