PDA

View Full Version : For those interested in Crypto and this tapping

NewChief
05-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I just finished the Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson prior to all of this data mining and phone tapping breaking out.

For those that have read it: how current/relevant do you think the book is to what's going on these days. I definitely think the pattern analysis depicted gives a pretty good idea of the sort of data mining the NSA is involved in.

For those that haven't read it: I highly recommend it. It's a significant undertaking, requiring a large amount of patience and fortitute, but it's well worth it.

banyon
05-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Cryptonomicon is great.

Does anyone know whether the "Van Eck phreaking" techinique is actually physically possible or just hooey?

I think that The Diamond Age, while not the best storyline of Stephenson's books, is the most relevant to the direction of our society. It's about nanotechnology and how it breaks up society based on the ethical decisions on its application.

NewChief
05-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Cryptonomicon is great.

Does anyone know whether the "Van Eck phreaking" techinique is actually physically possible or just hooey?

I think that The Diamond Age, while not the best storyline of Stephenson's books, is the most relevant to the direction of our society. It's about nanotechnology and how it breaks up society based on the ethical decisions on its application.

I've become a huge fan of Stephenson. I haven't read the Diamond Age yet, though. I've read Snow Crash, Crytonomicon, Quicksilver, and the Confusion. I'm waiting for System of the World to get checked back into the library so I can finish the Baroque Cycle. To me, he's like a more current Pynchon. If I were doing my MA again, my thesis would involve Stephenson somehow.

jAZ
05-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Looks limited but legit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Eck_Phreaking

jAZ
05-18-2006, 10:29 AM
http://the.jhu.edu/upe/websites/Jon_Grover/page2.htm

banyon
05-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I've become a huge fan of Stephenson. I haven't read the Diamond Age yet, though. I've read Snow Crash, Crytonomicon, Quicksilver, and the Confusion. I'm waiting for System of the World to get checked back into the library so I can finish the Baroque Cycle. To me, he's like a more current Pynchon. If I were doing my MA again, my thesis would involve Stephenson somehow.

I like Zodiac too, but that's because I am an environmentalist whacko. I haven't got to check out the Baroque Cycle books yet. They're on the list, but I had some leftist propaganda to read first. :)