PDA

View Full Version : Nagin reelected as mayor of New Orleans

Nightwish
05-21-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/us/21election.html?th&emc=th

Wow, I sure didn't see that coming! I would've thought his fuggups during the Katrina evacuation would have tolled the death knell on any chances of him being reelected.

Nightwish
05-21-2006, 02:07 PM
In my opinion, this is definitely a case where the guy's race played a much bigger role in the election than his performance history.

Logical
05-21-2006, 02:57 PM
All I can say is it shows me the people of that city really don't care about how their city is run. I know nothing about who the opposition was or whether he was some sort of tyrant, but short of that how do you re-elect Nagin?

Adept Havelock
05-21-2006, 03:11 PM
All I can say is it shows me the people of that city really don't care about how their city is run. I know nothing about who the opposition was or whether he was some sort of tyrant, but short of that how do you re-elect Nagin?

The competitor was related to the Senator....L'andrew or something?

Perhaps he was rejected because he was "not of the body"..... ;)

BucEyedPea
05-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Chocolate city sprinkled with nuts.

Adept Havelock
05-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Chocolate city sprinkled with nuts.

ROFL
And a few flakes....

SBK
05-21-2006, 10:40 PM
I would say he must have been running against a stick. Then again, seeing how they run things down there in Looz-e-Anna this ain't a shocker either.

Nightwish
05-22-2006, 03:56 AM
His opponent was the current Lt. Governor.

Ultra Peanut
05-22-2006, 04:55 AM
What, exactly, was he supposed to do? Half of the police force bolted on him before the storm hit, yet he's supposed to race over to the levees like Superman and keep them from going kaput? He's supposed to round up anyone and everyone who might be able to drive a school bus when those people are all already halfway to Baton Rouge?

Lest we forget, EVERYONE at every level around him ****ed things up to what was seemingly the fullest extent. Was Nagin to blame for the heckuva job Brownie did?

Then, a couple of months later, it's, "Oh yeah, wasn't there a hurricane or something down there? Oh, look, the French Quarter! Mardi Gras! Guess they're all fine. I wonder who's going to be voted off of Survivor next week..."

Yes, he says retarded things occasionally. But a spineless career politician like Landrieu was hardly some sort of panacea for New Orleans' woes, and Nagin will neither single-handedly save the city nor single-handedly destroy it. In the end, though, I guess this is just a chance for everyone to laugh at "those crazy negroes" for doing something that looks silly to those of us who have heard a few sound bytes in the national news. Personally, I can see why they might have wanted to stick with the guy who was pretty much the only public official to stick with them when the shit hit the fan.