PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com Q&A with Herm 5/22

Coogs
05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS
May 22, 2006, 11:22:08 AM

HERM EDWARDS: “Obviously it was a good week I thought. For the most part we got a lot of things done. Probably the most important thing is we looked at a lot of young players and that’s kind of key. Today was more of a young players practice rather than the veteran guys in the fact that they get off a week now, the veterans guys do. The rookies will still be here until Thursday then we’ll give them off. Then in June we’ll start the OTA process again. We have 10 more practices after that when they come back. I think we’ve kind of set the stage on how we want to do things. Now it’s just a matter of evaluating guys and getting ready to go to training camp. We’ll turn up the volume a little bit after the next session we have with these guys in the OTA periods.”

Q: Have you seen anything you like or don’t like?

EDWARDS: “I like the tempo. I think what happens to all young guys – and that’s why I spoke to the rookies – I just told them that now you kind of understand. You’ve been dreaming about being a pro football player. Now you’ve gone through seven or eight practices with these guys and you can play in this league. But it’s not your talent that will keep you in the league, it’s your mental ability to grasp what we’re asking you to do and then take it to the field and play that way. I think you always need to remind that they have a chance and you need to take advantage of that because I’ll give them opportunities. They don’t get as many opportunities and reps as the veteran guys do, but that’s just the way it works. But they’ll get as many opportunities here as anywhere. I know what they’re going through and I was in their shoes a long time ago. I owe them the opportunity to get a shot at getting plays in practice especially. We tried to do that today.”

Q: Anything you don’t like?

EDWARDS: “You can’t really see how violent certain guys are going to be, especially since we don’t have pads on and it’s not a violent situation. It’s more of a hand and foot combative and competitive situation. I just think the guys are understanding that that’s how we have to practice right now. Obviously when we get up to training camp we’ll get a little more physical. Then from there when we start playing preseason games it has to get real physical for us.”

Q: Did you accomplish what you wanted to this weekend?

EDWARDS: “Yes, we’re setting the foundation of how we’re going to do things in the meeting room and on the practice field. Those types of thing you have to set a foundation of how you’re going to do it and I think our coaches are the ones that really echo what we’re all trying to get done. Our coaches did an excellent job of being prepared on the field. We didn’t waste a lot of time. That’s the whole key, because in the game there is no time to be wasted. Every second is precious. When we practice, I think the players will understand that we’re trying to practice that way also.”

Q: In your opinion does this offense need a little fixing?

EDWARDS: “It needs the ability to help our defense more. We have a great running back. The easiest way to get that guy the ball is to turn around and give it to him. You need to run the ball to do that. I just think in certain games you have to have the mentality that if you’re going to win on the road in a hostile environment you have to have a good running game. Period. That’s what teams do.”

Q: So you’re looking deeper than being ranked in the top five offensively?

EDWARDS: “You look at the appearances they made in the playoffs. That’s the bottom line is how many times you made the tournament. Then when you get in the tournament did you win? I think this team has enough talent to do that. We haven’t been consistently good enough to do that. We can all look it and say on defense, but to me it’s how you play as a team. Sometimes your offense can put your defense in situations that they really don’t need to be in. If you just play a certain way in certain games. We’ll have the mentality to do that. ”

Q: So is the defense the side that needs fixing the most?

EDWARDS: “Obviously it needs to be more consistent. They need a shot of confidence. That’s going to be a key for us early. Our offense is always ahead of our defense. We know that. These players have been in this system five or six years. They’re going to be a little ahead of our defense and our offense will have to help us early until we get going. I think as we get going I think our defense will improve.”

Q: How are the players learning the cover two defense?

EDWARDS: “I think they’re starting to get a feel for it and play with their eyes more. You have to have great eyes to play in this coverage. It’s a physical defense and I think some people think it’s a passive defense. We never taught it that way in Tampa, it was always a physical defense in the fact that you’re always trying to get your hands on the people that were going vertical on you. Then when they threw the ball short, you were going to have more than one guy tackling you, you’d have four or five guys trying to tackle a guy. That’s how you create turnovers. The whole premise of the defense is don’t let them have the big play. I think if we can do that and the offense can score points, it helps you win games.”

Q: Is the middle linebacker position different in your defense?

EDWARDS: “You saw that today, they got to make some plays down the middle of the field about 20-25 yards. You’re not asking them to do something they can’t do, it’s just they’re not used to doing it. I just think we have good athletic linebackers here. That’s the first thing that drew my attention when I got here. Our linebacker corps – I’m not even talking about the starters, I’m talking about the back-up guys – they’re really athletic and they’re big guys that can run. That always helps you.”

Q: Are you letting the linebackers loose more?

EDWARDS: “It’s just that that’s the coverage. The coverage dictates where they go. At the end of the day they have to have great eyes. As you’ll see, they’re starting to learn how to break on the ball and they’re getting their hands on the balls. Then the rush has to be a factor. If the quarterback has to pump the ball once or twice you can knock the quarterback down. That’s the second part of the equation. If you can get your hands on the receivers that slows them down and gives another step to the rusher and hopefully the rusher can get to the quarterback and knock him down.”

Q: Is part of this defense keeping everything in front of you?

EDWARDS: “You don’t ever want them to think they can run vertical routes on you. You’ve got to slow the timing of the offense down. That’s what you do.”

Q: Can you comment on rookie free agent DT Steve Williams lining up with the first team defense?

EDWARDS: “That wasn’t by accident. That was one of the deals where he’s worked his tail off to the point where we felt that he can take reps with the first guys. That’s important. What I told guys around here is that everybody is going to get an opportunity. If you do things correctly and you’re doing what you’ve been coached, then you’re going to get a chance.”

Q: What that partly sending a message?

EDWARDS: “That’s not a message, that’s just a fact. We’re asking you to do certain things and if you can transfer them from the classroom to individual on the field and if you don’t do it, we’ll get guys that do it.”

Coogs
05-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I really like the fact that Herm seems to be dictating the defense instead of Gun. Makes me think we have a chance this season.

Andoverer
05-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Q: Can you comment on rookie free agent DT Steve Williams lining up with the first team defense?

EDWARDS: “That wasn’t by accident. That was one of the deals where he’s worked his tail off to the point where we felt that he can take reps with the first guys. That’s important. What I told guys around here is that everybody is going to get an opportunity. If you do things correctly and you’re doing what you’ve been coached, then you’re going to get a chance.”

Q: What that partly sending a message?

EDWARDS: “That’s not a message, that’s just a fact. We’re asking you to do certain things and if you can transfer them from the classroom to individual on the field and if you don’t do it, we’ll get guys that do it.”

WooHoo

Lighting a fire under the regular DT's butts

wolfpack0735
05-22-2006, 02:49 PM
i wonder since we dont have a "#1 wideout" is this slowing down the offense going to hurt our wideouts in total yards? i would think Eddie couldnt get 1.000 yards plus in another offense. :hmmm:

unlurking
05-22-2006, 03:10 PM
That was my impression as well.

chief4life
05-22-2006, 04:34 PM

So are we now a cover 2 defense or still 4-3?

htismaqe
05-22-2006, 04:36 PM

So are we now a cover 2 defense or still 4-3?

Cover 2 and 4-3 aren't mutually exclusive.

Cover 2 pertains to zone coverage in the secondary.

4-3 is the alignment of the front seven.

kc rush
05-22-2006, 05:03 PM
I think that the cover 2 will be good for our DB's, since they will keep the play in front of them. Surtain is the only real man-to-man CB we have.

I think that our linebackers are athletic enough to man the middle of the field, I just worry about the front four.

It seems like we have enough bodies on the DL to keep everyone fresh, I just don't think they have enough talent to pressure the QB consistently.

I guess if we can cut down on the number of big plays, that will be an improvement.