PDA

View Full Version : Ha Ha Tonka (State Park)

luv
05-23-2006, 01:03 AM
State park near Camdenton, MO. Robert McClure Snyder (who resided in KC) built a castle there in the early 1900's. A fire burnt it down in 1946. The remains are still there. It says there's a good view of hillsides, as well as being close to the Lake of the Ozarks. It's only an hour and a half from here, so I'm thinking that's where I might go on my little solitude vacation. Anyone been there? I'm also considering Northern Arkansas. Very scenic. If only hotels weren't so damned expensive.

Also, I just like to say the name of it.

elvomito
05-23-2006, 01:31 AM
i've been there and all through the ozarks, its a nice place so definately go.
here's an old pic. that guy had a nice view
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/mo/camden/postcards/tonka.jpg

luv
05-23-2006, 01:43 AM
http://www.odd.net/ozarks/funcam/11.jpg

luv
05-23-2006, 01:45 AM
http://www.mdc.mo.gov/areas/natareas/slide13.jpg

luv
05-23-2006, 01:47 AM
http://image58.webshots.com/58/9/34/44/2314934440012852703fQhGjR_ph.jpg

Talisman
05-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Talisman Tidbit: I asked my wife to marry me there.

luv
05-23-2006, 01:56 AM
Looks like I'll have to fork out $100/night for a hotel in Camdenton, though. :(

It's only an hour and a half away, maybe I'll just get up really early and go, stay till sunset and come home.

go bowe
05-23-2006, 01:57 AM
looks like a nice place...

sometime you should check out lake michigan...

but haha state park looks a lot more peaceful...

go bowe
05-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Looks like I'll have to fork out $100/night for a hotel in Camdenton, though. :(

It's only an hour and a half away, maybe I'll just get up really early and go, stay till sunset and come home.can you camp there?

luv
05-23-2006, 02:00 AM
can you camp there?
I had thought about that, but since I'm going by myself, I'd get too scared. Unless I could rent an SUV for the night and sleep in the back. Renting an SUV for a day is cheaper than the hotel.

go bowe
05-23-2006, 02:03 AM
I had thought about that, but since I'm going by myself, I'd get too scared. Unless I could rent an SUV for the night and sleep in the back. Renting an SUV for a day is cheaper than the hotel.ain't life strange?

it's cheaper to rent an suv than to stay in a hotel...

not the freakin hilton either, just an ordinary hotel...

but where ever you stay, or not, have a good time and pamper youself with beautiful surroundings... :thumb:

ChiefsCountry
05-23-2006, 02:12 AM
Well first of all Camdenton is not a hour and half from Springfield. Takes about an hour. Trust me I drive it all the time. From a native Lake of the Ozarkian, Ha Ha Tonka is alright. Frankly its not that cool but I live in the area, all looks the same. I guess its not bad for a daytrip or some peace and quiet. What hotel is $100 in Camdenton? All they got is a Sleep Inn. You know you could drive over to Osage Beach if you want a hotel plenty of them there.

luv
05-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Well first of all Camdenton is not a hour and half from Springfield. Takes about an hour. Trust me I drive it all the time. From a native Lake of the Ozarkian, Ha Ha Tonka is alright. Frankly its not that cool but I live in the area, all looks the same. I guess its not bad for a daytrip or some peace and quiet. What hotel is $100 in Camdenton? All they got is a Sleep Inn. You know you could drive over to Osage Beach if you want a hotel plenty of them there.
Well, I'm not looking for a lot of excitement seeing as how I'm going on my own. Just some good scenic pictures, a bench to sit down on to write a little, and some good exercise. I've been reading about some of the trails, and they sound pretty good. I figured it wouldn't take me that long to drive. Mapquest.com said it would take like 6 hours to drive to Memphis from here. Takes me 4 1/2. And come to think of it, most of the hotels I saw online did say Osage Beach.

greg63
05-23-2006, 02:25 AM
Looks like beautiful country luv; you should definitely go. ;)

Skip Towne
05-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Just south of Fayetteville, Ar are the Boston Mountains. They are beautiful. I'd PM Herzig to find out about budget motels. Greg knows everything. He might even rent you his back bedroom cheap.

greg63
05-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Just south of Fayetteville, Ar are the Boston Mountains. They are beautiful. I'd PM Herzig to find out about budget motels. Greg knows everything. He might even rent you his back bedroom cheap.

Ya taught me well Skip. :D

Skip Towne
05-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Ya taught me well Skip. :D
I'm also thinking that there are probably cheap motels along old 71 highway. The highway has moved but I'll bet some of the motels survived.

greg63
05-23-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm also thinking that there are probably cheap motels along old 71 highway. The highway has moved but I'll bet some of the motels survived.

:thumb:

HemiEd
05-23-2006, 08:54 AM
I want to go there someday, my parents went there on a short honeymoon in 1959.

Stinger
05-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, I'm not looking for a lot of excitement seeing as how I'm going on my own. Just some good scenic pictures, a bench to sit down on to write a little, and some good exercise. I've been reading about some of the trails, and they sound pretty good. I figured it wouldn't take me that long to drive. Mapquest.com said it would take like 6 hours to drive to Memphis from here. Takes me 4 1/2. And come to think of it, most of the hotels I saw online did say Osage Beach.

Memphis is actually only a 5 hour drive ... although if you are just looking to reflect and get some excercise Memphis would probabaly not be it.

HaHa Tonka is a nice place to walk and some beautiful spots just to sit and watch things go by. The relics are not much but the view is very nice. If you are planning to go this weekend I would advise against it. The place will be packed with people, the busiest weekend of the year for them. So hotels will probably be at a premium.

Bob Dole
05-23-2006, 09:07 AM

The old highway definitely had some good scenery, but until I-540 was finished, it was hard to see because you were trying not to slam into the semi that had slowed to 5mph to navigate a turn or climb a hill.

luv
05-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Memphis is actually only a 5 hour drive ... although if you are just looking to reflect and get some excercise Memphis would probabaly not be it.

HaHa Tonka is a nice place to walk and some beautiful spots just to sit and watch things go by. The relics are not much but the view is very nice. If you are planning to go this weekend I would advise against it. The place will be packed with people, the busiest weekend of the year for them. So hotels will probably be at a premium.
Yeah, I was just using Memphis as an example of mapquest.com saying things take a lot longer to get to than they actually do. I couldn't go to Memphis by myself. I'd be too drunk to find my car after a night on Beale Street. :)

Just wanting someplace within a few hours from here. I'm not for sure when I'm going. I get paid three times in June (as opposed to twice usually), so it may not be until mid-July to early-August before I go. I looked at the price of hotels for the weekend two weeks before the 4th and the week before the 4th. I'm not for sure that I'd want to make this a four day weekend. I might find three state parks to go to and spend the day at each one.

crispystl420
05-23-2006, 04:07 PM
If thats what you wanna do haha tomka would be a perfect spot.

Iowanian
05-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Talisman Tidbit: I asked my wife to marry me there.

2 required questions.
1. Were you wearing the foil suit of armor we made in arts and crafts?
2. What did she say?