PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd Benson has died............

chiefqueen
05-23-2006, 09:33 AM
he ran with Dukakis against Bush I/Quayle in 1988.

BucEyedPea
05-23-2006, 09:41 AM
RIP Lloyd!

banyon
05-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Isn't it spelled "Bentsen"?

chiefqueen
05-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Isn't it spelled "Bentsen"?

I think you're right. I must have had my mind on the Benson marathon on TV Land the first weekend of June.

patteeu
05-23-2006, 10:10 AM
He seemed like a decent guy. I once had a passing thought that he might be the anti-Christ though. It was when David Koresh was holed up inside his Waco compound after the ATF assault that went bad. I figured that if Koresh was really the messiah, Bentson, who as SecTreas was in charge of the ATF, might have been trying to take him out. But then I found out that he was really just a minion (perhaps an unwitting one) of Janet Reno.

PunkinDrublic
05-23-2006, 04:35 PM
What was his quote in the debate with Quayle? "You sir are no Jack Kennedy."

patteeu
05-23-2006, 07:17 PM

That was one of the best political zingers I've ever heard. Here it is (although in the written form it's not quite as impressive as it was with Bentson's dramatic delivery):

Quayle: I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency.

Bentsen: Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.

http://www.thecliffsofinsanity.blogspot.com/

Amnorix
05-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Yeah, Bentsen's crushing blow on Quayle was the highlight of that campaign for the Democrats.

In any event, Bentsen was an old guard, moderate, Southern Democrat. I wish there were a few more of 'em. Moderates, I mean, not just Southern Democrats.

BucEyedPea
05-24-2006, 10:38 AM

I like to turn this one around when the Bushevik NeoCons say they're like Ronald Reagan or that their foreign policy is a RR one! He.He. Trotskyites!

Brock
05-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah, Bentsen's crushing blow on Quayle was the highlight of that campaign for the Democrats.

And pretty much since.

patteeu
05-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Check out the last line (actually an editorial comment) in this Bentson obituary (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/24/washington/24bentsen.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin&oref=slogin).

David E. Rosenbaum, the reporter for this article, died in January.

:eek:

banyon
05-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Check out the last line (actually an editorial comment) in this Bentson obituary (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/24/washington/24bentsen.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin&oref=slogin).

:eek:

Maybe they have an obit ready for every politician over 80. Just that Bentsen outlived the prepped obit? :)

penchief
05-29-2006, 07:48 PM

In any event, Bentsen was an old guard, moderate, Southern Democrat. I wish there were a few more of 'em. Moderates, I mean, not just Southern Democrats.

I saw an old clip of Bensten on Meet the Press where he did a nice job of countering accusations by Wayne LaPierre (NRA) that he didn't know anything about guns.

He pulled out a "streetsweeper" and said that he had just recently taken it to the range and tested it out. He then went on to recite his combat credentials during WWII, as well as his lifelong love of hunting.

To me, that was more impressive than his zinger against Quayle.

patteeu
05-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Maybe they have an obit ready for every politician over 80. Just that Bentsen outlived the prepped obit? :)

Ya, I think it's probably pretty standard to have obit's ready for high profile people when they get old and/or sick. I just thought it was pretty strange to see one written by a dead guy.