PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com:Q&A with Trent Green 5/22

Coogs
05-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere. Even though it is from yesterday, I thought it was a very good read. I also highlighted the part about the new defensive system. Still find it interesting that Gun need to change his assistants to make his system work, and Herm changed the system.

Q&A with QB TRENT GREEN
May 22, 2006, 4:26:26 PM

Mini-Camp
May 20, 2006

Q: How does it feel to be back?

GREEN: ďGood. Itís good to be back doing football stuff. You can lift and run and run around cones all you want, but itís good to be back on the field. I think that if you talk to everybody in the locker room, they would much rather be doing football stuff.Ē

Q: Whatís the difference from previous seasons having a new head coach in Herm Edwards?

GREEN: ďCoach (Vermeil) was always a very positive and enthusiastic guy anyway, and now with Herm heís the same thing except that maybe even more so. In a lot of ways itís very similar. The difference is that his main focus is to get in and get your work done fast and with quality, but heís going to get the guys out of here to take care of our legs where Coach Vermeil was more into having longer practices. That was his mentality, the more you practice and the more you work, later in the season youíd have success where Coach Edwards is more about keeping yourself fresh and keeping your motors happy.Ē

Q: How do you feel about Coach Edwards wanting to run the ball more?

GREEN: ďIíve said for the last three seasons that as long as weíre winning, thatís completely fine with me. As an offense we have been in the top five in passing the last three or four seasons, and weíve also been in the top five in rushing the past three or four seasons. Itís whatever way we can find to win. If it means running the ball more, Iím fine with that. I told Herm that when he first got here. I told him weíve been number one in offense the couple years, weíve been number one in scoring a couple of times, weíve been number one in all these different categories, but we havenít gotten it done in the postseason like we all want to. Even though weíve won a lot of games and offensively set a lot of records, I told coach that whatever he wanted to do and whatever he thought from a team concept we could get done that there were enough veteran guys on offense that arenít selfish and who want to win. I think thatís very clear with veteran guys like G Will Shields, T Willie Roaf and some of the veteran guys who have chosen to come back. Itís very clear thatís what we want to get done.Ē

Q: How happy were you when G Will Shields and T Willie Roaf chose to come back?

GREEN: ďIíve been working on them for years. Iíve already started working on them now for the next year. I have pretty close friendships with all those guys, especially the four guys that Iíve been with the entire time: Will, Willie, C Casey Wiegmann and G Brian Waters. Thereís just a relationship that goes with that. Iím glad theyíre back and Iím glad that theyíre healthy enough to come back. When youíve done the things theyíve done in the careers other than win a championship, thatís what drives them to come back. They deserve to retire on their own terms and Iím just glad that they are healthy enough to come back and want to make another run at it.Ē

Q: Is it going to be kind of an adjustment for you, personally?

GREEN: ďI think so. Anytime you spent the amount of time with one coach and been through so many different things. You know whether it be my whole knee ordeal or the trade here and then the first season and turning it around and then, obviously last season with the passing of my father, but you know thereís a lot of emotional things weíve shared together. Heís been there supporting my family all the way through and heís done great things for my career. Obviously, heís always supported me on the field, as well. You know thatís a relationship that continues. I still talk to him quite a bit and that will continue. Iím building a great relationship or what I feel is like a very good relationship with Coach Edwards. I like a lot of what he stands for, of what heís about, his approach to coaching, his approach to players, and having played before. He has a lot of insight to that about what players are thinking. A lot of times, heíll beat us to the punch. Heíll be up in front of the team meeting and heíll bring stuff up. Heís like you guys remember I was a player. I know some of the thought processes that youíre going through. You know what youíre going to go through in training camp and mini camps and those kinds of things. So, thatís refreshing. Iím excited about his playing. Heís a very organized person. Iím sure you guys have all been very aware of that. He is very organized and has a set plan and follows through with that plan. It started off with a real good relationship.Ē

Q: Has times of meetings made it very clear that he is a defensive coach?

GREEN: ďOh yeah. Itís a little different for us.Ē

Q: Could it be a good thing for the team to have that type of bias way from a coach who right now seems to be rooting for his defense?

GREEN: ďYeah, you know what it is and I have a lot of fun. I donít know if itís because of my age or my experience or whatever it is, but you got to have a little give and take. Iíve had that with Gunther (Cunningham) in the past and with a number of the defensive players in the past. I mean thatís what makes practice fun when you get competitiveness going and now with a head coach that tends to side towards the defense. You got to have some fun. Heís definitely brought that. I donít think itís a negative for the offense. Offensively, like I stated earlier, weíre a very veteran group and everybody is very focused and determined on what we want to get done and what we want to accomplish. Weíre just excited to see the improvements that the defense has made. We feel really good about their growth and about some of the new players weíve added. I know talking to the defensive players that thereís a new confidence. They know they havenít done it yet on the field and by no means are they overconfident, but they feel really good about the system thatís being implemented. They feel good about the way itís being coached. They feel good about the way itís being carried over onto the field and in our first few mini-camps and OTAs. When you see them walking around with that confidence that only helps us out as an offense that they feel good about it.Ē

Q: What do you think of those new quarterbacks?

GREEN: ďTheyíre good. Gosh, they got a lot of talent. Casey Printers has got a cannon for an arm, great feet. You can tell heís been in Canada because itís a much different game. I was only there for three or four weeks and got to watch it because itís a bigger field, 12 on 12, three downs. He just needs to get a little more fine-tuned in terms of understanding the pocket and itís a little bit different from that aspect, but heís got all the tools to do it. Heís got a cannon for an arm and heís done a great job studying. Heís with Coach Terry Shea all the time learning the offense and I think thatís carried over. Anytime that you can step into a huddle and call the plays with the wording that we have heís obviously spent some time. Brodie (Croyle) has a calmness about him that he doesnít seem to get rattled or flustered or you know. He has a quick release, a very strong arm. Heís obviously not as big and strong as Casey is. Caseyís a more bigger guy and can run a lot better, but Brodie has more of that pocket awareness and pocket presence and the calmness about him that heís not really gonna get rattled. Like I said, with the amount of words that we have in our offense, heís adjusted really well to that. He doesnít panic when all of the sudden thereís a fifteen word play that you got to shoot out in the huddle with all these guys staring at you with their mouths open because theyíre like what did he just say. Theyíre all learning it. Heís done a great job with it and has great calmness and great leadership about him.Ē

Q: Do you feel the same way yourself? Youíre both said to be too undersized to play quarterback in the NFL and do you see any similarities?

GREEN: ďI guess. I donít know if I was that calm. He really carries himself well. Coming from Alabama and playing a lot of big games and obviously the pressure that is there with Alabama football, not that Indiana is. You have a lot of pressure playing football there, as well. I just think he has a different calmness about him than I had at that stage in my career. I think that when you start talking about size similarities and some of those things, yeah I think thereís some there. I have to see more of him to really give you a large amount of feedback on that.Ē

Q: Coach Edwards is very hands-on. As a player, what do you think about that?

GREEN: ďCoach Vermeil was very hands on with the offense. When he was on the field, he would go station to station which is very similar to what Coach Edwards does. The difference is Coach Edwards actually gets in the drill. Where Coach Vermeil would be drill to drill and have things to say. He spent the majority of time on the offensive side and if you seen a practice, Coach Edwards spends the majority of his time on the defensive side and probably more so on the defensive back drills because thatís his comfort zone and thatís what he played and thatís what heís really trying to get done. He definitely doesnít have a fear jumping into drills and getting his point across. You know stressing the points he wants done, how he wants practice run. The tempo he wants. The enthusiasm he wants. Itís nice.Ē

Q: From Dick (Vermeil) and Al (Saunders) being in charge of the offense to you working with Mike Solari, are you going to have a greater influence than you did in the past?

GREEN: ďI had a really good relationship with Al Saunders. I know Mike Solari and Terry Shea have been working a lot together. Obviously, Mike has had such a great track record with the running game and with our pass protection in terms of getting caught up on pass progressions and those kinds of things. He never had to worry about that. He would have to know that okay in this pass protection, itís a five step, seven step drop. Hey, the quarterback is going to have to hold it a little bit longer than he normally does. He understood those facets of the passing game. In terms of understanding the progressions and hot reads and sight adjustments and those kinds of things, he and Terry have been really working hand in hand and Iíve come in the off-season and met with them a couple of times just to go over some things that we wanted to tweak from what we have done before. Obviously, every offensive coordinator Iíve been with has been in this system and itís pretty much every team Iíve been with has had this version of the offense. Those coordinators all want their own personal stance. Itís not that they want to change it. Itís just that they all have different personalities and they all have different things that they want to emphasize and talking that with them. Thereís been great communication.Ē

Q: Is it different than maybe last year?

GREEN: ďWell, yeah you got to remember that I was with Al (Saunders) for five years. Early on for those first few years, Al and I were communicating all the time. Then, it got to the point where we were in such a comfort zone that we kind of donít have to do that because we knew what each other was thinking. He knew my personality in terms of what I like to do on the field. I knew what his play calling personalities were like. Now, itís really more back to early with my relationship with Al. Itís similar to what Mike and I do, thereís just more communication because youíre building that foundation right now.Ē

Q: ďDo you see the opportunity to have your own little stamp on this?

GREEN: ďIím never afraid to kick my two cents in there. It doesnít mean itís always listened to. Because of the different people Iíve been with like Ralph Friedgen or Norv Turner, Cam Cameron, theyíve all had their own personal and Iíve been able to be in a number of different offenses. Now with Mike, when we got to St. Louis, he was like listen weíve got Isaac Bruce. Weíre going to draft Torry Holt. Weíve got Az Hakim. Weíve got Ricky Proehl. Weíre not going to emphasize the tight end. So, we need to go more of a four wide, three and four wides. With Norv, he really liked to emphasize the tight-end with the success he had with (Jay) Novacek. He wanted to emphasize the tight-end and the fullback coming out of the backfield. When I first got here, that was really our emphasis with Tony Gonzalez and Tony Richardson. Then, Al wanted to switch over and get Dante (Hall) more involved. So, we switched back over and did some more of the Mike Martz things. Obviously, with the emphasis on the running game with Larry (Johnson), it may switch back more. Iím comfortable. Iíve been in all those different things. As long as the communication is there, I donít need to have play calling and I donít need to be the guy who calls the plays. Iím completely comfortable in my role. The thing I like is the communication. I had that with Al and I have that with Mike. The thing now is because Mike is learning the passing game with Terry. Weíre just at that foundation stage where we are communicating quite a bit. Itís been great.Ē

Q: You talked about the need of some of the young receivers to step up. After five or six practices, do you see any outcome from some of those guys and are they making the progress that you were talking of?

GREEN: ďI think with Jeris McIntyre. He is very comfortable in this offense. He understands it from the mental standpoint. Heís always in the right place. He fundamentally is sound. Craphonso (Thorpe) is still at that stage where heís thinking a little bit too much on the field. Craphonso has a the talent in the world and Iíve told him that. Once he gets the mental part of it down in terms of hearing the play in the huddle, breaking the huddle, doing his shift, doing his motions, making his adjustments on the go. Whether it be cover two, cover three, cover eight, six, whatever the adjustment to his route may be. Once he gets all that and stops thinking and just plays because last year we would sit over there, Coach Vermeil and I would sit over on the side and watch the scout team. Heíd be on the scout team and you look at the card and run the play on the card. He just showed tremendous athletic ability with what he could get done on the football field. Itís up to him and I said youíve got to get to that point to where youíre not thinking. To where youíre just going and playing and that aggression takes over and I think heíll get there. Itís just a matter of you have to put in the hours studying. You have to watch the film. You have to get the playbook. You know those kinds of things. I think as he gains more competence. Weíre asking him to learn a couple different positions where last year it was only one position. People may be wondering well why didnít you do that last year. Now when you lose a Marc Boerigter or a Chris Horn, guys who can play all three of the wide receiver spots, you need to fill that because on game day you are only going to have so many guys dressed. You canít have a backup at every single position. A couple of your receivers have to know all the spots so you can plug in at different times and thatís the role heís in right now. Right now, Samie Parker is our starter and Eddie Kennison is our starter. So heís got to know both sides.Ē

Q: Is it more fun practicing in front of the fans in comparison to the average practice?

GREEN: ďYes. Definitely. Itís always a lot more fun because you get the feedback from the crowd. Itís always more fun because thereís sometimes where itís a bad play and we know itís a bad play, but to them itís like a great play and theyíre screaming and yelling. Weíre like, yeah that play didnít unfold like it was supposed to, but they all thought it was good and weíll go with it. It adds a little bit more to it. The give and take that goes on between the defense and the crowd gets involved in it. Itís a lot more fun.Ē

Basileus777
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Q: What do you think of those new quarterbacks?

GREEN: ďTheyíre good. Gosh, they got a lot of talent. Casey Printers has got a cannon for an arm, great feet. You can tell heís been in Canada because itís a much different game. I was only there for three or four weeks and got to watch it because itís a bigger field, 12 on 12, three downs. He just needs to get a little more fine-tuned in terms of understanding the pocket and itís a little bit different from that aspect, but heís got all the tools to do it. Heís got a cannon for an arm and heís done a great job studying. Heís with Coach Terry Shea all the time learning the offense and I think thatís carried over. Anytime that you can step into a huddle and call the plays with the wording that we have heís obviously spent some time. Brodie (Croyle) has a calmness about him that he doesnít seem to get rattled or flustered or you know. He has a quick release, a very strong arm. Heís obviously not as big and strong as Casey is. Caseyís a more bigger guy and can run a lot better, but Brodie has more of that pocket awareness and pocket presence and the calmness about him that heís not really gonna get rattled. Like I said, with the amount of words that we have in our offense, heís adjusted really well to that. He doesnít panic when all of the sudden thereís a fifteen word play that you got to shoot out in the huddle with all these guys staring at you with their mouths open because theyíre like what did he just say. Theyíre all learning it. Heís done a great job with it and has great calmness and great leadership about him.Ē

This is pretty encouraging, Trent has some nice praise for them. I didn't realize Printers had that strong of an arm.

Chiefnj
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
"As long as the communication is there, I donít need to have play calling and I donít need to be the guy who calls the plays. Iím completely comfortable in my role. "

Coogs
05-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Sounds like Trent is high on Thorpes ability too, IF he can learn the system.

noa
05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Q: How happy were you when G Will Shields and T Willie Roaf chose to come back?

GREEN: ďIíve been working on them for years. Iíve already started working on them now for the next year.

Hell yeah! For him to even hint that there is a possibility they won't retire after this year just made my week.

Gaz
05-24-2006, 07:13 AM
How can you not love a guy who throws out ďGoshĒ in an interview?

xoxo~
Gaz
Unabashed Green fan.

greg63
05-24-2006, 07:32 AM
How can you not love a guy who throws out ďGoshĒ in an interview?

xoxo~
Gaz
Unabashed Green fan.

Yup; simply confirms what we all know about Green; that being a man of true character - on and off the field.

KCTitus
05-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Dont believe the hype...remember, this is the same QB that smiled after and interception one time!

keg in kc
05-24-2006, 07:45 AM
I'd be more impressed if he'd said 'gawarsh!'

DJJasonp
05-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Sounds like we have only Al Saunders to blame for Tony G's drop off in production last year....

I'm sure Tony is glad as hell to see Solari take over.

FAX
05-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Golly, this was a good article.

Thanks for posting it, Mr. Coogs.

FAX

King_Chief_Fan
05-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Q: Could it be a good thing for the team to have that type of bias way from a coach who right now seems to be rooting for his defense?

GREEN: ďYeah, you know what it is and I have a lot of fun. I donít know if itís because of my age or my experience or whatever it is, but you got to have a little give and take. Iíve had that with Gunther (Cunningham) in the past and with a number of the defensive players in the past. I mean thatís what makes practice fun when you get competitiveness going and now with a head coach that tends to side towards the defense. You got to have some fun. Heís definitely brought that. I donít think itís a negative for the offense. Offensively, like I stated earlier, weíre a very veteran group and everybody is very focused and determined on what we want to get done and what we want to accomplish. Weíre just excited to see the improvements that the defense has made. We feel really good about their growth and about some of the new players weíve added. I know talking to the defensive players that thereís a new confidence. They know they havenít done it yet on the field and by no means are they overconfident, but they feel really good about the system thatís being implemented. They feel good about the way itís being coached. They feel good about the way itís being carried over onto the field and in our first few mini-camps and OTAs. When you see them walking around with that confidence that only helps us out as an offense that they feel good about it.Ē

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Solari: Hey Herm, I bet me and my guys (offense) can trash you and your guys (defense).
Herm: Bring it
Now that would be some!!

the Talking Can
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
if you don't love Trent Green you are gay...

milkman
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Dont believe the hype...remember, this is the same QB that smiled after and interception one time!

Cut the Bastard! :cuss:

:D

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 12:19 PM
if you don't love Trent Green you are gay...

But if I love Trent Green, I'm gay. He's a man.

I'm so confused...

morphius
05-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Had to like what he had to say about the QB's, may make it easier to drop Huard. I think there is something to be said for having a backup who can run the ball, and you can't sneak a 3rd rounder onto your practice squad very often.

I'm a little worried that Thorpe might not be doing what it takes to get it done in the NFL, just sort of sounded like he wasn't doing his homework, and with the number of adjustments our WR's have to make you just can't get away with that here. Snoop couldn't learn it either, and how many INT's did that cause? Luckily he does have some time before TC to get it done.

milkman
05-24-2006, 12:32 PM
But if I love Trent Green, I'm gay. He's a man.

I'm so confused...

I've heard that is how most gays feel before they come to grips with their sexuality.

bkkcoh
05-24-2006, 12:36 PM

Doesn't Favre do that most of the time when he throws an INT...

Hydrae
05-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Had to like what he had to say about the QB's, may make it easier to drop Huard. I think there is something to be said for having a backup who can run the ball, and you can't sneak a 3rd rounder onto your practice squad very often.

I'm a little worried that Thorpe might not be doing what it takes to get it done in the NFL, just sort of sounded like he wasn't doing his homework, and with the number of adjustments our WR's have to make you just can't get away with that here. Snoop couldn't learn it either, and how many INT's did that cause? Luckily he does have some time before TC to get it done.

But is he motivated to do this? He's had a year to study, what has he been doing? I actually think it is funny that noname Jeris McIntyre may have the better NFL career because he is willing to buckle down and do what needs done.

milkman
05-24-2006, 01:34 PM
But is he motivated to do this? He's had a year to study, what has he been doing? I actually think it is funny that noname Jeris McIntyre may have the better NFL career because he is willing to buckle down and do what needs done.

It could just be that NFL playbooks are so large and complicated, and that would explain why it often takes most young WRs about 3 years to get comfortable, and to really begin to establish themselves.

And unless I'm mistaken, this will be McIntrye's 3rd year in the system.

morphius
05-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, he has to know that if he doesn't get it done on a team that is known, by all the experts (HA HA), to be weak at WR, then he probably knows that when his contract is up he isn't going to get that big pay day...