PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City's draft picks finally will prove worthwhile to a team in need

KingPriest2
05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Kansas City's draft picks finally will prove worthwhile to a team in need
SHANE MCCORMICK

emo to Kansas City Chiefs fans:

Smile.

You should be happy. Finally, King Carl and Marty did something right in the draft.

Finally, they went out and got players they not only needed but, also, ones who would be productive.

Over the years, it has seemed like the Chiefs just didn't understand the concept of the draft. Let me bring in example one: last year's first-round selection, defensive back Jerome Woods from Memphis. The word "useless" comes to mind when thinking of Woods' role at cornerback last season. Woods joined Reggie Tongue and Donnie Edwards as Chiefs draft picks who will not be having an immediate effect soon.

Example two: Offensive tackle Trazelle Jenkins, the first pick for the Chiefs in 1995. The K.C. Wolf was on the playing field more than Jenkins was last season.

Example three: Only one of the past six first-round selections by the Chiefs have become really productive players in the NFL. Cornerback Dale Carter, a first round selection in 1992, has been the only one who has proved himself worthy of a first-round selection. If 1994 selection Greg Hill ever gets a chance to run the ball 30 times a game, he has a great possibility of doing so. But up until now, he's just been an average back.

1991 selection Harvey Williams and 1990 selection Percy Snow have had minor glimpses of greatness. But not nearly enough for a couple of first-round selections. Neither is with the organization anymore.

Other first-round busts for the Chiefs include: Paul Palmer (1987) and Ethan Horton (1985), and who can forget the selection of the great Todd Blackledge in 1983? Blackledge has commented on more completed passes than he ever threw in his short career.

In last year's draft, the first four picks for the Chiefs were defensive players. Coming into this year's draft, everyone knew where the Chiefs needed to improve -- on the offense. They needed playmakers.

The result was six offensive players with six picks in the draft.

The Chiefs first-round selection, Tony Gonzalez, is a stud. The guy has big-play potential written all over him. He is quick off the line, has great down-the-field speed and has tremendous hands. There will not be too many linebackers who will be able to stay with Gonzalez over the middle. He will make Elvis Grbac and the Chiefs' passing offense better. But then again, the offense was already 10 times better when the Chiefs finally decided this off-season that Steve Bono was not the savior.

What I liked most about the Chiefs first-round selection was the way they got it. They did not try to hide the fact they were going after Gonzalez. But just to make sure, King Carl and the boys traded up five spots to get him. They knew what they wanted, and they went after it. I like that aggressive style, one we are not used to seeing from the Chiefs.

I could go on and on about second-round selection Kevin Lockett. Lockett will be one of the steals of the draft. He reminds me a lot of ex-Steeler Lynn Swann. Lockett contains the same qualities as Swann: gracefulness, tremendous hands and an uncanny knack for coming up with the acrobatic catches.

The pick that interested me the most was the selection of quarterback Pat Barnes in the fourth round. I had Barnes, as did many publications, rated as the second-best quarterback behind Jim Druckenmiller.

Barnes is the prototype quarterback as far as size. He is 6'3" and weighs 215 pounds. Last season alone at California, he completed nearly 60 percent of his passes for 3,499 yards and 31 touchdowns. He is a great decision-maker, as seen in his touchdown to INT ratio (31:8).

He is a quarterback who can stay in the pocket and throw the long ball accurately. In this year's Senior Bowl, he showed scouts he was tough as nails, too. Playing with a broken right wrist, Barnes tossed three touchdown passes to earn the game's most valuable player award.

While he is still unproven, he doesn't look like a Blackledge, Matt Blundin, Mike Elkins or Steve Matthews.

In five years, Barnes will either be starting for the Chiefs or another NFL team.

In the later rounds, the Chiefs grabbed offensive threats June Henley and Issac Byrd. Both are playmakers who have a legitimate shot at making the Chiefs squad. Both should at least provide stiff competition for Chiefs veterans.

And with their last pick in the draft, the Chiefs addressed another area of need, the offensive line. With Stanford offensive tackle Nathan Parks, the Chiefs have a 6'5", 307-pound lineman who can play the guard position.

Even if he doesn't amount to much, he'll already be as productive as first-round selection Trazelle Jenkins.

Shane McCormick is a senior in radio/TV journalism. You can e-mail comments to Shane at (shanem@ksu.edu).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This item was published on Tuesday, April 22, 1997

the Talking Can
05-24-2006, 11:05 AM
comedy gold

Halfcan
05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Barnes is gonna rock!!!

Rain Man
05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
I like this draft. I think we can possibly win most of our games and then choke in the first round of the playoffs with this team.

Woodrow Call
05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I like this draft. I think we can possibly win most of our games and then choke in the first round of the playoffs with this team.
ROFL

KCTitus
05-24-2006, 12:05 PM
...and who can forget the selection of the great Todd Blackledge in 1983? Blackledge has commented on more completed passes than he ever threw in his short career.

This item was published on Tuesday, April 22, 1997

I'll never forget when Carl drafted Blackledge...probably the worst time of his GM tenure.

milkman
05-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I'll never forget when Carl drafted Blackledge...probably the worst time of his GM tenure.

Worse than hiring Gunt as HC?

KCTitus
05-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Worse than hiring Gunt as HC?

Yeah, that's a close second.

HemiEd
05-24-2006, 12:41 PM

trolling for n00bs.

milkman
05-24-2006, 12:51 PM
trolling for n00bs.

You're supposed to play along and not give n00bs a heads up.

Damn n00b! :cuss: