PDA

View Full Version : Mapquest sucks!!

Skip Towne
05-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I've been using that site for several years to find addresses. So they recently changed it and now it doesn't work. Does anybody have a better site than Mapquest?

Phobia
05-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't recommend another site. On a recent trip, I used mapquest to print directions and my wife chose some other site. The "other" site sent me over 200 miles further than mapquest to reach the same destination.

I understand some sites will vary slightly, but a 20% disparity is inexcusable.

noa
mapquest sucks and the sky is blue.
its not perfect, but try maps.google.com

recxjake
i love mapquest, your probably doing it wrong

StcChief
05-24-2006, 03:03 PM
map quest has gone downhill in the last few years.

Really like maps.google.com between the map/sattelite view.....pretty nice. Google Earth Pro is nice desktop app too.

Donger
05-24-2006, 03:03 PM
http://www.expedia.com/

Find a map.

I use this for my travels and it is far more accurate than Mapquest. I haven't used that site in years.

morphius
05-24-2006, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't recommend another site. On a recent trip, I used mapquest to print directions and my wife chose some other site. The "other" site sent me over 200 miles further than mapquest to reach the same destination.

I understand some sites will vary slightly, but a 20% disparity is inexcusable.
I ran into that trying to get directions to Kearney, NE from KC a few years ago.

For long trips I tend to use expedia/mapquest/google/yahoo to see which one works out better. I know they gave me a lot of options for my drive to and from San Diego a few years back.

DJJasonp
05-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Yahoo maps seems to work pretty well for me....

Simplex3
05-24-2006, 03:09 PM
mapquest sucks and the sky is blue.
its not perfect, but try maps.google.com
Yes, because it's not enough to let Google know what you're researching, you should also let them know where you're going to be.

PS, Google maps has little issues like listing Taiwan as part of China.

morphius
05-24-2006, 03:12 PM

I'll keep that in mind on my drive to Taiwan from KC... :rolleyes:

Skip Towne
05-24-2006, 03:26 PM
http://www.expedia.com/

Find a map.

I use this for my travels and it is far more accurate than Mapquest. I haven't used that site in years.
I went to this site but couldn't find anyhing that remotely resembles "Find a map". Map.googe.com just wants to rent me a car or book a flight. I'm trying to get a map to: 14817 North 58th East Ave., Collinsville, Ok 74021. Can anybody find that?

RP_McMurphy
05-24-2006, 03:31 PM
A money making site anymore. It went from providing a good service to being more worried about it's ad revunue and how much money it can make.

It had my mothers address off by a mile and it was changed back in 93. So they are 13 years behind.

morphius
05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=14817+North+58th+East+Ave.&csz=Collinsville%2C+OK&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Donger
05-24-2006, 03:33 PM
I went to this site but couldn't find anyhing that remotely resembles "Find a map". Map.googe.com just wants to rent me a car or book a flight. I'm trying to get a map to: 14817 North 58th East Ave., Collinsville, Ok 74021. Can anybody find that?

Try it again, and up on the top bar click on 'Maps' then on the new page 'Find a map' is right in the middle of the page.

Or, try this: http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=mmfn

noa
05-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Yes, because it's not enough to let Google know what you're researching, you should also let them know where you're going to be.

If the government wants to know where I am, they'd be better off checking my credit card records and cellphone location than asking google which map I looked up. Now, if google is giving the government a list of what I search for online, that's a different issue.

OnTheWarpath58
05-24-2006, 03:42 PM
i love mapquest, your probably doing it wrong

I can't believe there's been no response to this......

Skip Towne
05-24-2006, 03:44 PM
I can't believe there's been no response to this......
It's because he's and idiot.

OnTheWarpath58
05-24-2006, 03:50 PM
It's because he's and idiot.

I expected that, or "shut up, n00b!"

What sucks about mapquest is that it tells you it found a "similar address" but doesn't tell you what the similar address is.

Me thinks that would help a smidge.

KCChiefsMan
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM
howz it go...
Parnell:
"goin online to find the dopest route...google maps is the best.."
Samberg:
"I prefer mapquest"
Parnell:
"Thats a good one too"

true that...true that...DOUBLE TRUE

Skip Towne
05-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Well, it must be near 148th Street North and 58th East Avenue. I'll look for it for about 5 minutes and then just wait for the dumbass to call in and bitch about why I wasn't there. If he's going to give me a disconnected phone number he can suck my baows.

Iowanian
05-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Google, MSN(recently upgraded), yahoo and dogpile all have decent to great map functions.

Cochise
05-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I'll keep that in mind on my drive to Taiwan from KC... :rolleyes:

ROFL

GOOLEG MAPZ IZ TEH SPYIN!!!

58-4ever
05-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Google, MSN(recently upgraded), yahoo and dogpile all have decent to great map functions.

this is very true. Mapquest always takes me the wrong way and it doesn't keep up to date with road construction.

Iowanian
05-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Its pretty tough to do that even on a local level, let alone nationwide 58.

Things change so fast, roads are added, contruction plans, buckled roads in the summer....its a monumental task...and many of the map search engines are all buying their road data from a one of a handful of sources...or pulling old data from Census Tiger files.

Skip Towne
05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
People are so damned stupid I want to kill them sometimes. Today a lady (fat) told me to go south out of Avant and turn west at County Road 2950. So I go clear to Skiatook (about 15 miles) and no CR 2950. I call her and tell her that and she says yes there is it is just north of the cell phone tower. I said meet me at the tower and show it to me. So we meet there and guess what? Yep, it is CR 2150. Dumb bitch didn't even know where she lived.

58-4ever
05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Although Google's maps have always been pretty up-to-date in terms of construction on major highways. It seems as if Mapquest doesn't even care.

redbrian
05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
I use mapquest and yahoo maps with very few problems. I only use their directions to get an estimate on the travel time.

What I like about mapquest is the note block which allows me a space to type in names and telephone numbers and other stuff.

I've heard a poor craftsman always blames his tools :p