PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Question for the diabetics in the house

Mile High Mania
05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Ok, I have a question for those of you that either are a diabetic or you live with/take care of someone who is diabetic.

My dad has been full blown diabetic for a few years and my folks are coming to town for the weekend. It's his birthday on Friday and I'd like to have a cake that is suited towards that diet.

My wife has tried a few diabetic cake recipes that we've found on the net and ... they taste like hell. I don't know if my dad is used to this taste by now, but if you know of a good recipe for a cake and could post it... I'd be much appreciative.

After doing the cake taste test and realizing that he can't have sweets, red meat, etc ... I'm reconsidering my thoughts on my current food consumption.

thanks

Lbedrock1
05-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Ok, I have a question for those of you that either are a diabetic or you live with/take care of someone who is diabetic.

My dad has been full blown diabetic for a few years and my folks are coming to town for the weekend. It's his birthday on Friday and I'd like to have a cake that is suited towards that diet.

My wife has tried a few diabetic cake recipes that we've found on the net and ... they taste like hell. I don't know if my dad is used to this taste by now, but if you know of a good recipe for a cake and could post it... I'd be much appreciative.

After doing the cake taste test and realizing that he can't have sweets, red meat, etc ... I'm reconsidering my thoughts on my current food consumption.

thanks
Try making a regular cake from scratch but substitute the sugar ingredients with splenda. Unfortunately for diabetics there aren't to many food that don't turn to sugar so we just have to have things in great moderation. Oh by the way don't let him eat the whole cake by himself.

Fire Me Boy!
05-24-2006, 04:24 PM
One thing that works well is a Splenda/sugar split. Use 2/3 Splenda to 1/3 sugar. It'll help.

BigOlChiefsfan
05-24-2006, 10:00 PM
You might also try something like one of those little angelfood shortcakes from the store, add fresh sliced strawberries, sprinkle with a little splenda and plenty of strawberry yoghurt as a topper. Hey, it's not butter cream frosting on a red velvet cake but it's not half bad.

Logical
05-25-2006, 01:02 AM

thanks

Not sure where you got the idea a diabetic cannot have red meat that definitely is not true.

As to sweets some things made with Nutrasweet turn out ok I have tasted them. I have no recipes for you though. I think the new sweetner Splenda would be even better it actually tastes like sugar on your finger. You might look for recipes with them as the sweetner.

Miles
05-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Not that I know a damn thing about baking stuff, but things made with splelda I have had were pretty good. I wouldn't have know they were made without sugar if I had not been told.

Mile High Mania
05-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Logical, all I can tell you is that my dad told me that red meat is not a part of his diet. He's never been a health nut or watched what he ate until this diabetic deal, so I'm just guessing that it's related.

Thanks for the replies guys.