PDA

View Full Version : Best Socket 754 Motherboard

Skyy God
05-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Techies, I have a bit of a dilema and need some input. I upgraded a little over a year ago from an Asus MB (not sure what socket, went with an Athlon 1.4Ghz processor) to a highly rated MSI. The system stopped booting a couple weeks ago, and I'm guessing the MB is fried. Although I've yet to try replacing the power supply, but I've been down that road before and the problem seemed different.

Anyway, long story short, if I need a new motherboard, does anyone have any recommendations on brands and chipsets? The old one had a K8M800 chipset. Money isn't really a object, as work is paying for it, along with a new Thermaltake Tsunami aluminum case.

This will probably be used some for games, especially if I upgrade to a 50" plasma. I was also thinking of switching from Tivo to a media PC. Recommendations? I've heard Asus has top flight reliability in the past but their current reviews on Newegg are pretty mediocre. Thanks!

Skyy God
05-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Anyone? Right now I'm kicking myself for not buying a Socket 939 w/PCI-E.

DaFace
05-25-2006, 10:30 AM
This one worked well for a PC I built a few months back. It was pretty basic, but worked great. I've built four or five PC's in the last year, but I'm no guru when it comes to choosing motherboards.

ASUS K8N (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131512)