PDA

View Full Version : heard of lloyd burris?

skye22f
05-24-2006, 08:45 PM
I guess this guy is doing some personal training at my gym. Someone said he was going to be in the Chiefs hall of fame? I've never heard of him, but I don't go way way back (I'm only 24.)

Is that for real or was the lady just exaggerating? Anyone heard of him?

Brock
05-24-2006, 08:46 PM
He was part of the best Chiefs secondary in team history.

Bowser
05-24-2006, 08:48 PM
He played safety in what most consider to be our best defensive backfield ever.

Lloyd Burris
Deron Cherry
Albert Lewis
Kevin Ross

milkman
05-24-2006, 08:49 PM
No.
No, never heard of him.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Safety

Brock
05-24-2006, 08:51 PM
BTW, he's been in the Chiefs HOF for several years.

https://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/lloyd_burruss

Rain Man
05-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Dear lord. You kids of today.

Lloyd Burruss was the strong safety in what was possibly the finest defensive backfield in NFL history. Deron Cherry was a six-time Pro Bowler at free safety and played for the Chiefs from 1981 through 1991, Albert Lewis was a four-time Pro Bowler at left cornerback and played for the chiefs from 1983 to 1993, Kevin Ross was a two-time pro bowler at right cornerback and played for the Chiefs from 1984 through 1993, and Lloyd Burruss was a one-time Pro-Bowler at strong safety, playing for the Chiefs from 1981 through 1991.

From 1986 through 1990, we had two of these guys in the pro bowl every year, and we had at least one guy in the pro bowl every year from 1983 through 1990. Keep in mind that we only went to the playoffs once during that period.

Burruss was the least well-known of the group, but was known for his textbook tackling style.

I loved those guys.

ChiTown
05-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Who?

Lloyd Christmas?

geezus

BIG K
05-24-2006, 08:53 PM
No.
No, never heard of him.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Safety

Yeah, me neither! He was prolly camp fodder...... :p

milkman
05-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah, me neither! He was prolly camp fodder...... :p

Yeah, that must be where I heard the name.

FAX
05-24-2006, 08:55 PM
He made two bazillion INTs for the Chiefs during the 80s. Kind of an old school safety. Great tackler, heady, fast as a horny cheetah.

FAX

BIG K
05-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Yeah, that must be where I heard the name.

:)

Ebolapox
05-24-2006, 09:00 PM
man, I'm a year younger than you (23) and I know exactly who Lloyd Burress... he was a STUD back in the day (then again, I've been watching the chiefs seriously since I was five or six, or 1988)

chefsos
05-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I guess this guy is doing some personal training at my gym. Someone said he was going to be in the Chiefs hall of fame? I've never heard of him, but I don't go way way back (I'm only 24.)

Is that for real or was the lady just exaggerating? Anyone heard of him?Age is no excuse. You're obviously online, so all the info you need is at your fingertips.

Phobia
05-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Cut the kid some slack. There's plenty of excuses for not knowing. We didn't have a TV when I was a kid. I didn't start following the Chiefs until I left the house.

milkman
05-24-2006, 09:16 PM
He played safety in what most consider to be our best defensive backfield ever.

Lloyd Burris
Deron Cherry
Albert Lewis
Kevin Ross

Jim Marsalis
Emmitt Thomas
Jim Kearney
Johnny Robinson

They were a pretty damn good group also.

Robinson (59) and Thomas (58) had 117 career ints between them.

BIG K
05-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Cut the kid some slack. There's plenty of excuses for not knowing. We didn't have a TV when I was a kid. I didn't start following the Chiefs until I left the house...

Which was when Phob....? My daughter freaks out everytime I tell her that 'our' t.v was.........BLACK AND WHITE!!!!!

chefsos
05-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Cut the kid some slack. There's plenty of excuses for not knowing. We didn't have a TV when I was a kid. I didn't start following the Chiefs until I left the house.
Well, you know, you couldn't very well take it with you and hope to keep up.

ChiTown
05-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Jim Marsalis
Emmitt Thomas
Jim Kearney
Johnny Robinson

That was a helluva group.

Phobia
05-24-2006, 09:20 PM

Which was when Phob....? My daughter freaks out everytime I tell her that 'our' t.v was.........BLACK AND WHITE!!!!!

I'm only 35. We didn't have a TV because my parents are incredibly religious.

BIG K
05-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Jim Marsalis
Emmitt Thomas
Jim Kearney
Johnny Robinson

Great Post! Who were the DT's at that time?

You know me, love the D-Line.......... :)

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Dude, I am 28 and grew up on that guy. Lloyd Burris was a pro bowl SS for the chiefs.... ****ing awesome.

Ari Chi3fs
05-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Anyone have a picture of all four of them on the F-16 or whatever... it was a poster in teh KCStar.

said The Interceptors.

BIG K
05-24-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm only 35. We didn't have a TV because my parents are incredibly religious.

I am sorry. We didn't have t.v until I was 11 because we were incredibly poor......

milkman
05-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Great Post! Who were the DT's at that time?

You know me, love the D-Line.......... :)

Buck Buchanon and Curly Culp, with Jerry Mays and Aaron Brown on the ends.

Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier and Jim Lynch were the LBs.

Those eleven guys formed one of the all time great defenses.

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Anyone have a picture of all four of them on the F-16 or whatever... it was a poster in teh KCStar.

said The Interceptors.

I had the "Bash Bros." Poster with Dino Hackett and Bill Mass and Kevin Ross. They had the blues brothers hats and sunglasses on.

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:30 PM
the DLine during the Lloyd Burris/Deron Cherry era was... Art Still, Mike Bell, Bill Mass and whoever else...

shaneo69
05-24-2006, 09:32 PM

said The Interceptors.

I've got a poster from 1991 called "The Tribe" that has all the Chiefs starting defensive players from that time wearing warpaint and holding Indian weapons. Pretty cool. They all have their own Indian nickname listed by their names. Cherry, Burruss, Lewis, Ross, Kevin Porter, Hackett, DT, Simien, Neil Smith, Saleaumua, Maas, and Leonard Griffin. Awesome poster, and a reminder of the great Chiefs defenses of the past.

BIG K
05-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Buck Buchanon and Curly Culp, with Jerry Mays and Aaron Brown on the ends.

Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier and Jim Lynch were the LBs.

Those eleven guys formed one of the all time great defenses.

I agree...

milkman
05-24-2006, 09:33 PM
the DLine during the Lloyd Burris/Deron Cherry era was... Art Still, Mike Bell, Bill Mass and whoever else...

Art Still is one of the all time under rated Chiefs.

He was relentless.

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Lloyd BURRUSS is how it was spelled....http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/kc/LburrussKC.JPG

shaneo69
05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
I had the "Bash Bros." Poster with Dino Hackett and Bill Mass and Kevin Ross. They had the blues brothers hats and sunglasses on.

I've got that one as well. They gave them away at a Chiefs home game back in either '89 or 90, before they started selling out Arrowhead and Carl became the grinch.

shaneo69
05-24-2006, 09:37 PM

That was it for the d-line. They played a 3-4 from '78-'91. Still came in '78, Bell came in '79; they played around Dino Mangiero, Don Parrish, and Ken Kremer until Maas was drafted in '84.

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I've got a poster from 1991 called "The Tribe" that has all the Chiefs starting defensive players from that time wearing warpaint and holding Indian weapons. Pretty cool. They all have their own Indian nickname listed by their names. Cherry, Burruss, Lewis, Ross, Kevin Porter, Hackett, DT, Simien, Neil Smith, Saleaumua, Maas, and Leonard Griffin. Awesome poster, and a reminder of the great Chiefs defenses of the past.

I used to also have the original "Nigerian Nightmare" poster with ****ing Okoye dressed as Freddie and a Bronco player all scared in bed.

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:39 PM
That was it for the d-line. They played a 3-4 from '78-'91. Still came in '78, Bell came in '79; they played around Dino Mangiero, Don Parrish, and Ken Kremer until Maas was drafted in '84.

nice knowledge.

BIG K
05-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Art Still is one of the all time under rated Chiefs.

He was relentless...

Under rated? How about big Dan Sal? No one has dominted the D.T. spot since he left in 97'.......Ironically, the Chiefs haven't had a dominant D.T since his departure....Were going on 10 years now....

CHENZ A!
05-24-2006, 09:40 PM
When I was younger(not sure the yr), my mother entered me into a drawing at Sears to be the Chiefs "mascot" for a game, and walk out to the 50 for the opening coin toss. Back then you got walked out by a player, not the wolf. anyway, Burrus was the guy that walked me out there, I was scared shitless at the time, but we got some good pics.

It was Bo Jackson's first game at Arrowhead. Anyone remember the yr.?

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:41 PM
When I was younger(not sure the yr), my mother entered me into a drawing at Sears to be the Chiefs "mascot" for a game, and walk out to the 50 for the opening coin toss. Back then you got walked out by a player, not the wolf. anyway, Burrus was the guy that walked me out there, I was scared shitless at the time, but we got some good pics.

It was Bo Jackson's first game at Arrowhead. Anyone remember the yr.?

88? I remember everbody threw toy footballs at Bo that had "just a hobby" written on them.

CHENZ A!
05-24-2006, 09:42 PM

Awww man, that poster was dope, I used to have it when I was little, but it got lost somewhere. I still have th DT poster from the same photo shoot, with him in full indian headress, and it says "Sacred Ground"

FAX
05-24-2006, 09:44 PM
This is a great nostalgia thread. Kudos to the starter.

FAX

CHENZ A!
88? I remember everbody threw toy footballs at Bo that had "just a hobby" written on them.

I was 7 yrs old in 88. I remember begging my dad to let me wear his shirt that said "Football and Baseball.... THAT'S BOSHIT!" ROFL

milkman

Under rated? How about big Dan Sal? No one has dominted the D.T. spot since he left in 97'.......Ironically, the Chiefs haven't had a dominant D.T since his departure....Were going on 10 years now....

Yeah.

That guy was a disruptor.

ChiTown
05-24-2006, 09:47 PM
I was 7 yrs old in 88. I remember begging my dad to let me wear his shirt that said "Football and Baseball.... THAT'S BOSHIT!" ROFL

7?

geebus, that made me feel old...........

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:49 PM

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/kc/DslaeaumuaKC.JPG

milkman
05-24-2006, 09:49 PM
7?

Hate to break it to ya buddy, but you are old.

CHENZ A!
05-24-2006, 09:50 PM
7?

my bad... but age really is all in your mind anyway.

milkman
05-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Hate to break it to ya buddy, but you are old.

Sad thing here.

The shirt I'm wearing right now is one that I've worn for years when I'm just kicking it at home.

And Chenz A is only two years older than my shirt.

FAX
05-24-2006, 09:54 PM
One of the things that I liked about Dan Saleaumua was that he seemed to be such a jovial character on the sidelines. Then, when he put his helmet on and his hand in the dirt, he became a violent mass of anger wreaking havoc.

He was a kind of paradoxical lineman.

FAX

ChiTown
05-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Sad thing here.

The shirt I'm wearing right now is one that I've worn for years when I'm just kicking it at home.

And Chenz A is only two years older than my shirt.

ROFL

I've got corns older than Chenz-A ;)

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:55 PM
One of the things that I liked about Dan Saleaumua was that he seemed to be such a jovial character on the sidelines. Then, when he put his helmet on and his hand in the dirt, he became a violent mass of anger wreaking havoc.

FAX

he is everything I ever wanted Jr. to become... what a disappointment.

nychief
05-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Great site for old chiefs pics...

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/kc/kcchiefspictures.html

ChiefsFanatic
05-24-2006, 11:46 PM

Lloyd Burruss was the strong safety in what was possibly the finest defensive backfield in NFL history. Deron Cherry was a six-time Pro Bowler at free safety and played for the Chiefs from 1981 through 1991, Albert Lewis was a four-time Pro Bowler at left cornerback and played for the chiefs from 1983 to 1993, Kevin Ross was a two-time pro bowler at right cornerback and played for the Chiefs from 1984 through 1993, and Lloyd Burruss was a one-time Pro-Bowler at strong safety, playing for the Chiefs from 1981 through 1991.

From 1986 through 1990, we had two of these guys in the pro bowl every year, and we had at least one guy in the pro bowl every year from 1983 through 1990. Keep in mind that we only went to the playoffs once during that period.

Burruss was the least well-known of the group, but was known for his textbook tackling style.

I loved those guys.

I think Burress had the game winning interception in the Pro Bowl.

chefsos
05-25-2006, 04:21 AM
Well anyway, all old vs. young grumbling aside, this to the thread starter: I think it's very cool that Lloyd Burruss, or any former Chief for that matter, is at your gym. I'd suggest shaking his hand and thanking him for his part in the great Chiefs defenses in his time there.

Hey, feel free to use some of the stuff in this thread if a conversation with him ensues.

Lbedrock1
05-25-2006, 04:35 AM

I loved those guys.
These guys are the reason we are so defensively spoiled. If they were playing today we would have at least two SB rings.

Braincase
05-25-2006, 05:41 AM

Yeah, but your folks through you out when you were 8 for diddling Fluffy.

chagrin
05-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Hey dude, Lloyd Burris was strong safety in what was possibly the finest defensive backfield in team history, just wanted to throw that in

plbrdude
05-25-2006, 06:21 AM

I loved those guys.

those were the days my friend...

bkkcoh
05-25-2006, 06:41 AM
Hey dude, Lloyd Burris was strong safety in what was possibly the finest defensive backfield in team history, just wanted to throw that in

Didn't his nickname used to be the Rock....... He was one tough DB..... :toast:

StcChief
05-25-2006, 06:47 AM
Geez Posing this NON-question.
It's not like you have to look it up in book.

The internet is at your fingertips.

Bob Dole
05-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Didn't his nickname used to be the Rock....... He was one tough DB..... :toast:

Wasn't that Kevin Ross?

Skip Towne
05-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Wasn't that Kevin Ross?
Yes. "Rock" was Kevin Ross. He was hit by cars three separate times.

Sully
05-25-2006, 09:00 AM

FAX

Sorry to make a braod, sweeping statement. But every Samoan I've ever known has been that way. I played HS football in Independence, and I found this was the case in nearly every example I could think of. We had a DT at my high school at one point who was 320 pounds and ran a 4.8 40-yard dash.

Sully
05-25-2006, 09:03 AM

At a high school football camp I went to that Ross was at, there was this really fast kid at the camp. It was high school, so the kid was pretty fast. Ross challenged him to a race. Ross would run 60-yards, and the kid 40. Ross ran in a backpedal the whole way... and won by 8 yards. One of the coolest things I ever saw.

tomahawk kid
05-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I've got that one as well. They gave them away at a Chiefs home game back in either '89 or 90, before they started selling out Arrowhead and Carl became the grinch.

Let me know if you ever want to part with it.

penchief
05-25-2006, 09:27 AM

I loved those guys.

I loved those guys, too. I think the season Burruss made the pro-bowl all four made it. Don't know if that's ever happened before.

penchief
05-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Who was the safety that played alongside Barbaro? I can't remember.

Anyway, this backfield wasn't bad, either:

Gary Green
Eric Harris
Gary Barbaro
?

bkkcoh
05-25-2006, 09:54 AM

And the cars probablly suffered more damage...

Wasn't that Kevin Ross?

They were both of the same caliber though. I would give a lot to get them on this team if they were in their prime.....

Ebolapox
05-25-2006, 10:26 AM
kevin ross makes rich scanlon look like a wimp

shaneo69
05-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Who was the safety that played alongside Barbaro? I can't remember.

Anyway, this backfield wasn't bad, either:

Gary Green
Eric Harris
Gary Barbaro
?

Mike Sensabaugh
M.L. Carter
Herb Christopher

I think it was a revolving door at SS between Kearney and Burruss.

Logical
05-25-2006, 01:37 PM

I loved those guys.
Definitely a top notch group but best in NFL? I am not even sure it is the Chiefs best four. I would say that Johnny Robinson, Emmitt Thomas, Jim Kearney and Willie Mitchell were better as a group, definitely better at picking off the interceptions.

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Who?

Lloyd Christmas?

geezusROFL

No wonder our D sucks so bad now. Nobody can remember what it was like to have one, neither do they appreciate the guys that played in one enough to remember them.

Sorry dude who started this thread, being 24 is no excuse. You would have been older than 6 when brother Lloyd played, and should know of him enough to have checked the internet before posting.

Logical
05-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Jim Marsalis
Emmitt Thomas
Jim Kearney
Johnny Robinson

Robinson (59) and Thomas (58) had 117 career ints between them.Actually substitute Willie Mitchell for Marsalis and you get a better group Mitchell was also outstanding at the interceptions (not quite in the Robinson/Thomas league but quite good. He played on both SuperBowl teams but the 69 team was his last year before retirement and Marsalis took his job because by then Marsalis was faster. He had somewhere around 20 Ints and for like 4 years running had 4 or 5 interceptions. Marsalis was good as well with about 13 career interceptions but his career with the Chiefs was shorter, I would say they were both almost equal. Though I think Mitchell made a couple of AFL All Star teams (eqivalent of Pro Bowl).

Rain Man
05-25-2006, 02:58 PM
At a high school football camp I went to that Ross was at, there was this really fast kid at the camp. It was high school, so the kid was pretty fast. Ross challenged him to a race. Ross would run 60-yards, and the kid 40. Ross ran in a backpedal the whole way... and won by 8 yards. One of the coolest things I ever saw.

I hate to be naive, but are you being serious or are you having fun with this topic? That sounds pretty fantastic.

MOhillbilly
05-25-2006, 03:17 PM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/kc/JaltKC.JPG

Count Zarth
05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
How did the Chiefs suck so bad with a secondary like that? The offense must have been abysmal.

Rain Man
05-25-2006, 03:39 PM
How did the Chiefs suck so bad with a secondary like that? The offense must have been abysmal.

Yes. Yes it was.

The annoying thing is that it's the same all-X, no-Y pattern we've seen in the past decade.

In 1982 and 1983, the offense was pretty productive with Bill Kenney and Joe Delaney and those guys. Then all of a sudden the defense gets good, and the offense drops off the map. It took two decades to get the offense back, and then the defense disappeared.

At the same time that we had this defensive backfield, we had Art Still and Bill Maas making pro bowls on the line. Of course, we had no linebacking at all, but the defense was still pretty decent. But at offense, we were abysmal.

This team has had great talents over the years, but we've just never had enough, or we've had some great, gaping oozing sore at another position that has offset it.

Count Zarth
05-25-2006, 03:45 PM
The Chiefs threw 7 touchdown passes in 1979.

7. Seven.

Logical
05-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Yes. Yes it was.

The annoying thing is that it's the same all-X, no-Y pattern we've seen in the past decade.

In 1982 and 1983, the offense was pretty productive with Bill Kenney and Joe Delaney and those guys. Then all of a sudden the defense gets good, and the offense drops off the map. It took two decades to get the offense back, and then the defense disappeared.

At the same time that we had this defensive backfield, we had Art Still and Bill Maas making pro bowls on the line. Of course, we had no linebacking at all, but the defense was still pretty decent. But at offense, we were abysmal.

This team has had great talents over the years, but we've just never had enough, or we've had some great, gaping oozing sore at another position that has offset it.Except in the late 60s. Did you know we scored 359 in a 14 game season in 1969 and only allowed 177. Offense and Defense at the same time man that was sweet.

Rain Man
05-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Except in the late 60s. Did you know we scored 359 in a 14 game season in 1969 and only allowed 177. Offense and Defense at the same time man that was sweet.

And we won two championships. I wonder if there's a connection. :hmmm: