PDA

View Full Version : your rights are next.

MOhillbilly
05-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Dove hunt movement gains momentum

Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:58 AM EDT

By Bill Parker Editor

Lansing — The grass-roots effort to defeat an anti-hunting ballot proposal here in Michigan is gaining steam.

Citizens for Wildlife Conservation is the umbrella group that was formed by Michigan sporting and conservation organizations to fend off an anti-hunting proposal that will be on the ballot this fall. The anti-hunting group Citizens to Restore the Dove Hunting Ban - backed by the Humane Society of the United States - collected enough signatures last year to put a proposal to end Michigan’s dove-hunting season on the November ballot.

“This is not a dove-hunting issue. That’s what people have to understand. This is an anti-hunting issue and has been ever since the Humane Society of the United States got involved,” said Sam Washington, a CWC board member and the executive director of the Michigan United Conservation Clubs. “If sportsmen do not get on board it will only be a heartbeat before they (HSUS) come back for something else, like bowhunting. Any attack on one type of hunting is an attack on all hunting.”

Sponsoring organizations that have contributed at least $15,000 each to CWC include MUCC, the Michigan Bear Hunters Association, the Michigan Hunting Dog Federation, Safari Club International, the National Wild Turkey Federation, the National Rifle Association, and the United States Sportsmens Alliance. Many smaller groups also have pledged support - both hands-on and financial.

“We had a meeting last week, and every time we hold one of these we see more and more new faces around the table,” Washington told Michigan Outdoor News. “A lot of the state groups are starting to respond.”

Jim Schaeffer, CWC treasurer, said the group is also receiving support from out-of-state organizations.

“The Kenai Peninsula (Alaska) Chapter of SCI donated $2,500,” Schaeffer said. “That’s probably a little payback to Michigan for helping them out on past issues. We also received a $1,000 contribution from the Indiana State Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation. Ninety-five percent of the money we raise will come from Michigan, but it’s nice to get support from out of state, too.”

Locally, “the Michigan Trappers Association, the Michigan Duck Hunters Association, the Michigan United Coon Hunters, and a lot of other smaller organizations have kicked in,” Schaeffer said.

CWC has raised about $200,000 of the estimated $3.2 million needed to launch an effective media campaign to counter the effort of HSUS.

HSUS is the nation’s largest anti-hunting group and reportedly has upwards of $100 million in assets after joining forces last year with another anti-hunting group, the Fund For Animals, the group that ushered in a ballot proposal in 1996 that would have outlawed bear hunting with dogs and bait in Michigan. Sportsmen rallied and soundly defeated that proposal.

“I think the campaign is going as well as it did back in 1996,” Schaeffer said. “We’re about on the same track as then.”

CWC has launched a website, www.cwcmi.org (http://www.cwcmi.org/), and is accepting monetary donations at the site. It is also holding a raffle with a grand prize of 40 acres of hunting land in the Upper Peninsula. There are 18 prizes in the raffle including guns, bows, and guided hunting and fishing trips.

A fund-raiser is planned for Aug. 16 at Laurel Manor in Livonia.

“The key to winning this thing now, is money,” Schaeffer said. “Cash contributions are a big thing. We’re raising money $5 at a time. We have a long way to go, but we’re on track.

“Anti-hunting extremists brought this fight to Michigan. Now, millions of dollars are going to be spent on advertising campaigns in the media instead of in the ground where it will really do something to support wildlife.”

Schaeffer said CWC is in the process of educating the public and fellow hunters about the proposal.

“The big thing people have to realize is that this is not about dove hunting. It’s about all hunting,” Schaeffer said. “That’s the stance we have to take, because if we lose in November, they will be back for another species.”

Taco John
05-25-2006, 03:48 PM
What do you mean next?

They're already tapping every phone call in America. Why is anybody supposed to care about hunting if they don't care about the basic right to privacy?

Brock
05-25-2006, 04:13 PM
They're already tapping every phone call in America.

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
What do you mean next?

They're already tapping every phone call in America. Why is anybody supposed to care about hunting if they don't care about the basic right to privacy?If someone wants to tap my call, fine. But if someone wants to come to Ruby Ridge, he can pay with his life.

Don't try to act like only the evil Bush monster is culpable in this crap.

Taco John
05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
If someone wants to tap my call, fine. But if someone wants to come to Ruby Ridge, he can pay with his life.

Don't try to act like only the evil Bush monster is culpable in this crap.

It's the perceived "job" of government to claim more power for themselves. This isn't unique to the Bush administration. He just happens to be king of the largest successful power grab in history.

I'm not sure why anyone should care more about hunting doves than they should about having both their email and phone conversations snooped. Maybe if I was still hunting, I'd be able to rationalize it.

As it is, I find it laughable to warn people that they're going to take our rights next, when it's already happening in large doses, without nearly the same amount of alarm that some silly (in comparison) dove hunting measure draws.

It's conservativism gone wild! I half expect to see videos of hunters lifting their flannel shirts to reveal their man boobs.

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 04:39 PM
It's the perceived "job" of government to claim more power for themselves. This isn't unique to the Bush administration. He just happens to be king of the largest successful power grab in history.

I'm not sure why anyone should care more about hunting doves than they should about having both their email and phone conversations snooped. Maybe if I was still hunting, I'd be able to rationalize it.

As it is, I find it laughable to warn people that they're going to take our rights next, when it's already happening in large doses, without nearly the same amount of alarm that some silly (in comparison) dove hunting measure draws.

It's conservativism gone wild! I half expect to see videos of hunters lifting their flannel shirts to reveal their man boobs.Which is why I quit giving a flip about politics dude. Its over. I am 41 years old and there won't be any SSec when I retire. According you you, my rights are already gone, the war is lost, the country is toast. So, in keeping with Animal House, I might as well have a good time. Strike up the fiddles, the Titanic is going down and there is nothing I can do about it.

Put your gray matter to constructive use dude. Quit worrying about what the pukes on the potomic are doing.

Hydrae
05-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Has anyone noticed the large increase in the number of deer in urban areas the last decade or so? This seems to be universal across the country and is causing problems for homeowners in some areas and drivers most everywhere.

Why has this become an issue? Because we basically wiped out the predators that kept the population under control. The problem is, if we don't let the humans hunt them, they will become even more of a problem.

Yes, the article is about doves, not deer. But the same principle applies. I love animals but recognize that hunting has it's place even in today's grocery store society.

Hydrae
05-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Which is why I quit giving a flip about politics dude. Its over. I am 41 years old and there won't be any SSec when I retire. According you you, my rights are already gone, the war is lost, the country is toast. So, in keeping with Animal House, I might as well have a good time. Strike up the fiddles, the Titanic is going down and there is nothing I can do about it.

Put your gray matter to constructive use dude. Quit worrying about what the pukes on the potomic are doing.

They win!

Don't you get it, this is what the "pukes on the potomic" want? For people to throw up their hands in disgust and just say screw it and let them do what they want? There is enough apathy in this country as is, don't give them the pleasure of driving you away from the issues as well!

Taco John
05-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Which is why I quit giving a flip about politics dude. Its over. I am 41 years old and there won't be any SSec when I retire. According you you, my rights are already gone, the war is lost, the country is toast. So, in keeping with Animal House, I might as well have a good time. Strike up the fiddles, the Titanic is going down and there is nothing I can do about it.

I just don't operate like that. I watched this country go from something I love into something that I can't hardly recognize. Today, I watched congress and the President act together in bipartisan fasion for the first time in God only knows how long in an effort to hide their own asses from a corruption probe that looks to run as deep as the Grand Canyon. Meanwhile, they've got bugs in our phones, bugs in our emails, and hands in our pockets as deep as they can jam them.

I've got the future of my family to consider, and my love for this country runs deeper than that.

It's not much, but for my part, I'm not voting for a single incumbant in office.

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 05:49 PM
I just don't operate like that. I watched this country go from something I love into something that I can't hardly recognize. Today, I watched congress and the President act together in bipartisan fashion for the first time in God only knows how long in an effort to hide their own asses from a corruption probe that looks to run as deep as the Grand Canyon. Meanwhile, they've got bugs in our phones, bugs in our emails, and hands in our pockets as deep as they can jam them.

I've got the future of my family to consider, and my love for this country runs deeper than that.

It's not much, but for my part, I'm not voting for a single incumbent in office.I told my kids to take care of themselves, and not worry about the country. It is being run by a bunch of idiot elitist that know what is good for us. If they don't get their way at the ballot box, they try to program us with their world view on the news. When we quit listening to their crap on the news, and turned to talk radio and the internet, they resorted to morphing our entertainment television into propaganda pieces. I can't remember the last time I could sit through an episode of ER or Law and Order, without one of the characters ranting off some Liberal talking points bullshit.

I am conservative, Bush is not. How funny is it, that 5 years after a terrorist hit us, that we finally now begin to put a little grease on the hinge of the illegal immigrant door? How funny is it, that we are so concerned about the "war on terror", that we will turn our container freight over to a middle eastern country?

Do you think, that when the terrorists finally nuke us, if I am in that radioactive blast, that I will give one damn about whether or not they listened to me say dirty things to my wife on the phone?

bogie
05-25-2006, 05:52 PM
I just don't operate like that. I watched this country go from something I love into something that I can't hardly recognize. Today, I watched congress and the President act together in bipartisan fasion for the first time in God only knows how long in an effort to hide their own asses from a corruption probe that looks to run as deep as the Grand Canyon. Meanwhile, they've got bugs in our phones, bugs in our emails, and hands in our pockets as deep as they can jam them.

It's not much, but for my part, I'm not voting for a single incumbant in office.

Other than voting, what else can you do to make a difference?

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Other than voting, what else can you do to make a difference?I honestly believe that voting is just a well constructed ruse to trick the masses into believing that, and expending all their energy on "making a difference".

Its crap. The democrats were "for the little guy" for 40 years, did it help any of them?

Then the Republicans had a "contract with America". Did it balance the budget? Did it curtail social spending? Did it "end government as we know it"?

Now the pendulum has swung against the "Republicans" and the "Democrats" are about to be swept back into "power" to make the country good and whole again, rubbish. Its all a well calculated load of crap, to keep the masses carping at one another instead of picking up pitchforks and gigging the "elitists". A well calculated construct to control the masses, that is all that it is.

Sports is another well calculated diversion, but it entertains me, so that is what I choose to get worked up about right now.

JBucc
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Other than voting, what else can you do to make a difference?Run for office I guess. Or kill someone.

bogie
05-25-2006, 06:34 PM
I honestly believe that voting is just a well constructed ruse to trick the masses into believing that, and expending all their energy on "making a difference".

Its crap. The democrats were "for the little guy" for 40 years, did it help any of them?

Then the Republicans had a "contract with America". Did it balance the budget? Did it curtail social spending? Did it "end government as we know it"?

Now the pendulum has swung against the "Republicans" and the "Democrats" are about to be swept back into "power" to make the country good and whole again, rubbish. Its all a well calculated load of crap, to keep the masses carping at one another instead of picking up pitchforks and gigging the "elitists". A well calculated construct to control the masses, that is all that it is.

Sports is another well calculated diversion, but it entertains me, so that is what I choose to get worked up about right now.

I agree with you. I hate the republican party, I really dislike the democratic party. It's sad when, by doing my part (voting) I feel like I'm just picking the lesser of two evils.

bogie
05-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Run for office I guess. Or kill someone.

I'm not smart enough to run for office. Kill someone... I could handle that.

Hydrae
05-25-2006, 06:35 PM
We are long overdue for another revolution in this country.

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 06:38 PM
We are long overdue for another revolution in this country.To what end?

Despite all the apathy that I have expressed, I still cannot think of a better construct.

bogie
05-25-2006, 06:38 PM

That could be a problem if they take our guns away.

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
That could be a problem if they take our guns away.bingo.

That is why, the 2nd ammendment, is the most important one. We lose that, and we the people are PWNED.

Dave Lane
05-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Thats a great picture of Mohillbilly!! ROFL

Dave

Dave Lane
05-25-2006, 06:40 PM
bingo.

That is why, the 2nd ammendment, is the most important one. We lose that, and we the people are PWNED.

By what?

Dave

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 06:43 PM
By what?

DaveBy the elite, I believe I mentioned them pretty forcefully in my posts above, sorry if I put an incomplete thought up there bud.

Dave Lane
05-25-2006, 06:55 PM
OK and what are they going to do? And how will you and your deer rifle hold them off?

Dave

Calcountry
05-25-2006, 07:09 PM
OK and what are they going to do? And how will you and your deer rifle hold them off?

DaveWait a second, who are the "they" that I am "fighting"? I am not fighting anyone.

KC Jones
05-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Has anyone noticed the large increase in the number of deer in urban areas the last decade or so? This seems to be universal across the country and is causing problems for homeowners in some areas and drivers most everywhere.

No, but I've noticed the continuing expansion of suburbs into rural areas. I've never seen a deer in an actual urban area.

related? :shrug:

Dave Lane
05-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Wait a second, who are the "they" that I am "fighting"? I am not fighting anyone.

The elite. They are taking your guns apparently

Dave

Ebolapox
05-25-2006, 09:20 PM

ya know, it's very funny... I recall one reading a thomas jefferson quote that said basically (and I'll try to google it to see if I'm not just remembering random sh*t and messing up names) that america needs a revolution every few generations to keep things from getting stagnant...

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff130598.html

"Every generation needs a new revolution"

stevieray
05-25-2006, 09:24 PM

Started by whom? Vincente Fox and his twenty billion dollar cash cow from the American welfare udder?

I think it's funny when people are talking about privacy when your identity is your bank account, and every financial move you make is tracked, not to mention your jack bauer gps cell phone. most major cities and and stores have cameras, some cities for traffic violations.

I think privacy has become lower on the totem pole for awhile.

J Diddy
05-25-2006, 10:23 PM
That could be a problem if they take our guns away.

I say we do it with rubber bands