Black Flag
Soundgarden
Pantera
Alice in Chains
Motley Crue

that's my list...let's see yours

Nzoner
05-25-2006, 05:54 PM
ZZ Top-not only does the trio make some kick ass music together,Billy Gibbons is one of the best guitarists there is,oh did I mention that they're in their 36th year together with no changes in the line-up,that alone is worthy of greatness.

Aerosmith-Although I'm not big on their 2nd go round together there's no denying the band achieved greatness long before with their 70's projects which for the most part were loaded with great songs from start to finish.

As for my other 8 choices off the top of my head with no commentary and in no paticular order

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
Van Halen(with DLR)
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
Cheap Trick
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Eagles
Heart

NOTE:I realize these are all old school and I'm not saying there aren't any great bands since but I don't know enough about any of them to list them.

jlscorpio
05-25-2006, 06:53 PM
cool list...i love zz top and cheap trick is one of the most underrated rock bands ever

siberian khatru
05-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Creedence Clearwater Revival is on that list. Period.

Nzoner
05-25-2006, 07:05 PM

I was waiting for someone like you to come along and make me think CRAP!!how did I forget them.

jlscorpio
05-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by siberian khatru

Who's your other nine?

Archie F. Swin
05-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Dave Matthews Band

(although Dave is S. African)

jlscorpio
05-25-2006, 07:27 PM
WTF?

Archie F. Swin
05-25-2006, 08:26 PM
no, DMB

Bald but Beautiful
05-25-2006, 08:36 PM
First off, I am going to eliminate all acts that have the singer/leader in band's name, so Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, and Bob Seger are out, even though they are hard to not have them on the list, here is my list, not necessarily in this order.
Van Halen
Aerosmith
CCR
Lynyrd Skynyrd
ZZ Top
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Beach Boys
Metallica
Cheap Trick
Heart
That was tough not having those before mentioned bands on this list, but how come England had all of those great great bands and I struggle to come up with my list?

DMAC
05-25-2006, 08:50 PM
CCR.

Nirvana
Janes Addiction
Eagles
Doors
Grand Funk
DMB
Soundgarden
TOOL
GNR
Rage Against the Machine...Do they count? They might be mexican.

REM?
Foo Fighters?

Nightwish
05-25-2006, 09:26 PM
here is my list, not necessarily in this order.
Van Halen
Aerosmith
CCR
Lynyrd Skynyrd
ZZ Top
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Beach Boys
Metallica
Cheap Trick
Heart
That's a pretty decent list, although I'd give Skynyrd, ZZ Top and the Chili Peppers the boot, and replace them with Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, and Motley Crue. I'd also specify, as an earlier poster did, that only the Cliff era Metallica really qualifies them. I'd be tempted to put Megadeth in there, too, but I wouldn't want to ditch any of the others (VH, Aerosmith, CCR, Beach Boys, Cheap Trick and Heart all firmly belong on the list).

That was tough not having those before mentioned bands on this list, but how come England had all of those great great bands and I struggle to come up with my list?
The US has been a trendsetter in some musical areas, such as blues, jazz, r&b, hip hop, and grunge, but in terms of rock music, we've lagged far behind the Europeans ever since the British Invasion. Fact of life.

jlscorpio
05-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Rage absolutely counts!!! I'm pissed that I left Them and KISS off. I alwayz thought BOC were British...I stand corrected

Nightwish
05-25-2006, 11:06 PM
I alwayz thought BOC were British...I stand corrected
They're from New York, if I'm not mistaken.

Archie F. Swin
05-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Blood, Sweat & Tears?
Dont know where they're from

JamSec128
05-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Nirvana
Guns and Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
DMB
Soundgarden
Motley Crue
Aerosmith
Kiss
Phish
Ramones

Reaper16
05-26-2006, 03:48 AM
There is an agonizing lack of Agalloch on this thread.

StcChief
05-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Here 15...
In ERA order:
Beach Boys
The Doors
The Allman Brothers
CCR

Grand Funk Railroad
ZZ Top
Aerosmith
The Eagles
Lynryd Skynyrd
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
Bruce Springsteen

John Cougar Mellencamp
Van Halen(with DLR)
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Later:
Dave Matthews
Cheap Trick
Heart ????

nothing later worth mentioning :p

htismaqe
05-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Interesting exercise which only serves to remind me how much I thoroughly prefer British music...

I'd have to say Alice Cooper and KISS were both quite influential, as was Van Halen.

Jimi Hendrix was also American. While he was technically discovered in London, he was from Seattle.

StcChief
05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Interesting exercise which only serves to remind me how much I thoroughly prefer British music...

I'd have to say Alice Cooper and KISS were both quite influential, as was Van Halen.

Jimi Hendrix was also American. While he was technically discovered in London, he was from Seattle.

Yeah...I considered Hendrix because he was from Seattle. but worked in London etc. so kinda left him off the American list.

How did I miss Alice Cooper listened alot to him in 70s.......one of my earliest LPs - 'Killer' .
:banghead:

Archie F. Swin
05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
The Doors...good call

Heart?...good band, but considered a Zep clone

Nightwish
05-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah...I considered Hendrix because he was from Seattle. but worked in London etc. so kinda left him off the American list.

How did I miss Alice Cooper listened alot to him in 70s.......one of my earliest LPs - 'Killer' .
:banghead:I can't believe I missed Alice Cooper, too! He's one of my all-time favorite artists, even!

And regarding nm_dbf's disclaimer about Van Halen, I should also mention that I'm only considering the DLR era. Van Hagar is a whole nother entity, and Van Cherone is barely worth remembering.

Nightwish
05-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Heart?...good band, but considered a Zep clone
Hmmm, I never thought of them as a Zep clone, but now that you mention it, I do see the similarities, at least in Heart's early stuff. With the album "Heart," and everything thereafter, though, they took a big detour from that Zep-influenced style.

htismaqe
05-26-2006, 01:07 PM
I guess I never thought of Heart in connection with Led Zeppelin. I always thought they got by on their genes...

Nzoner
05-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Hmmm, I never thought of them as a Zep clone, but now that you mention it, I do see the similarities, at least in Heart's early stuff. With the album "Heart," and everything thereafter, though, they took a big detour from that Zep-influenced style.

They've covered a few Zep songs and done a good job with them,in fact saw them last week on VH1 Classic In Concert covering Misty Mountain Hop.

CosmicPal
05-31-2006, 03:07 AM
here's my list, in no particular order:

Van Halen (with DLR)
Metallica (with Cliff)
Queens of the Stone Age
Kyuss
Jane's Addiction
Black Flag
Soundgarden
Pantera
Alice in Chains
Motley Crue

Good gawd, let's keep it all to the hair-bands, heavy metal, trash punk crap why don't we. Are you fuggen serious? For starters- Motley Crue is one of the shittiest bands ever. Give me a guitar, a bottle of Jack, and two months- and I'll be as good as they ever were at the "height" of their career.

Anyways- You do however get kudos for the Jane's Addiction nomination. However, they haven't done enough to justify being a TOP TEN American band. Be realistic with your list.

Here's a REALISTIC list of the best American Bands ever:

1. The Eagles- yea, yea, yea- some sappy old California classic rock shit. The fact of the matter is- there isn't an American living soul today who isn't able to recite the lyrics to half a dozen Eagles tunes. They were more American than apple pie ever was to this country.

2. Bob Dylan- Oh gawd, I can just see the "Uggggghhhhhs" now. He was a major influence to nearly every rock band that made history. One of the greatest song writers ever.

3. Bruce Springsteen- the boy from Jersey. Count the number of hit songs Bruce has and compare it to the number of times you've been laid. Depressing eh? Bruce has you beat by a mile. But the fact is, Bruce speaks of the true American working life. He's more genuine than your mother's smile.

4. The Grateful Dead - I know, a little bit of homerism here, but the fact is theSE guys created an enigma amongst artists: they have one of the largest fan base in all of music, they've broken all the rules and allow their fans to tape their shows free, they've set the tone for merchandising and ticketing, and consistently sell out live shows in some of the biggest stadiums in the world. They've created a massive marketing exposure and literally live off of concert sales.

5. The Velvet Underground - New York, the biggest city in America and inside it's crazy streets was born one of the most dangerous, yet most beautiful noise rock bands.

6. Aerosmith - The Americanized version of the Rolling Stones. The classic all-American rock band.

7. The Ramones - The true American punk band. They influenced all others, including Nirvana.

8. The Doors - An incredibly gifted band that unfortunately had a short career, but a profoundly lasting one. Their music is timeless and endearing and how can you not listen to songs like "L.A. Woman" and think summer in America!

9. R.E.M. - Well, I'll prolly get a lot of shit for this one, but they set the tone for College rock radio and made MTV a hit. They launched a whole new world of underground alternative music that was once limited to local college stations. They can be political like Dylan and pop like Michael Jackson, but you cannot overlook the huge impact they had on the American college radio at the time.

10. Beach Boys - Man oh man was there ever a band more American than this? Brian Wilson- the boy genius and his superfluous and hypnotic blend of surf music made the girls all dizzy in the head and everyone else wanting to move to California.

Now that's more like it: Bands who deserve to be in this list as well- Sly & The Family Stone, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, Van Halen, CCR, and Kiss.

Reaper16
05-31-2006, 03:43 AM
I'll be honest, I can only recall a few lyrics from one Eagles song. I must be a bad American.

Mile High Mania
05-31-2006, 07:03 AM
There's only two that I will put up a fuss about ... Aerosmith and Van Halen (prefer the DLR era).

StcChief
05-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Good gawd, let's keep it all to the hair-bands, heavy metal, trash punk crap why don't we. Are you fuggen serious? For starters- Motley Crue is one of the shittiest bands ever. Give me a guitar, a bottle of Jack, and two months- and I'll be as good as they ever were at the "height" of their career.

Anyways- You do however get kudos for the Jane's Addiction nomination. However, they haven't done enough to justify being a TOP TEN American band. Be realistic with your list.

Here's a REALISTIC list of the best American Bands ever:

1. The Eagles- yea, yea, yea- some sappy old California classic rock shit. The fact of the matter is- there isn't an American living soul today who isn't able to recite the lyrics to half a dozen Eagles tunes. They were more American than apple pie ever was to this country.

2. Bob Dylan- Oh gawd, I can just see the "Uggggghhhhhs" now. He was a major influence to nearly every rock band that made history. One of the greatest song writers ever.

3. Bruce Springsteen- the boy from Jersey. Count the number of hit songs Bruce has and compare it to the number of times you've been laid. Depressing eh? Bruce has you beat by a mile. But the fact is, Bruce speaks of the true American working life. He's more genuine than your mother's smile.

4. The Grateful Dead - I know, a little bit of homerism here, but the fact is theSE guys created an enigma amongst artists: they have one of the largest fan base in all of music, they've broken all the rules and allow their fans to tape their shows free, they've set the tone for merchandising and ticketing, and consistently sell out live shows in some of the biggest stadiums in the world. They've created a massive marketing exposure and literally live off of concert sales.

5. The Velvet Underground - New York, the biggest city in America and inside it's crazy streets was born one of the most dangerous, yet most beautiful noise rock bands.

6. Aerosmith - The Americanized version of the Rolling Stones. The classic all-American rock band.

7. The Ramones - The true American punk band. They influenced all others, including Nirvana.

8. The Doors - An incredibly gifted band that unfortunately had a short career, but a profoundly lasting one. Their music is timeless and endearing and how can you not listen to songs like "L.A. Woman" and think summer in America!

9. R.E.M. - Well, I'll prolly get a lot of shit for this one, but they set the tone for College rock radio and made MTV a hit. They launched a whole new world of underground alternative music that was once limited to local college stations. They can be political like Dylan and pop like Michael Jackson, but you cannot overlook the huge impact they had on the American college radio at the time.

10. Beach Boys - Man oh man was there ever a band more American than this? Brian Wilson- the boy genius and his superfluous and hypnotic blend of surf music made the girls all dizzy in the head and everyone else wanting to move to California.

Now that's more like it: Bands who deserve to be in this list as well- Sly & The Family Stone, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, Van Halen, CCR, and Kiss.

Bob Dylan - without a doubt but didn't consider him even with The Band. IMO Just a solo artist. Very influential talented song writer.

The Grateful Dead - Top 10? Maybe ...quite a following of Deadheads....concerts where their deal....
Some catchy tunes...A lot of live Jam. though.

R.E.M. - Top 10? A generation changing influence band. Never really listened...
but always heard the hype here about one of their guy's being from the East side of STL. Same with Sheryl Crowe...BFD.

Sly Stone - top 10??? Top 25 with some the later bands.

The Ramones - top 10? true American punk.
The Velvet Underground - top 10? maybe 15-20

Give me Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Grandfather of Grunge
Crosby Still Nash & Young - Another deserving bands in top 15-20.

NewChief
05-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Re: Grateful Dead

I think the Dead are worth a mention just because they're so quintessentially American. They delved into country, folk, traditional balladry, blues, jazz, early rock (ala Buddy Holly and Elvis), and full on 60s psychedelia. In many ways they personify the American music tradition. They also pretty much singlehandedly created the entire genre of "jambands", whether you consider that a good thing or not is a matter of preference.

jlscorpio
05-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Its my ****in list. I never said you have to like it, grandpa...

the Talking Can
05-31-2006, 09:09 AM
here's my list, in no particular order:

Van Halen (with DLR)
Metallica (with Cliff)
Queens of the Stone Age
Kyuss
Jane's Addiction
Black Flag
Soundgarden
Pantera
Alice in Chains
Motley Crue

ROFL

sorry, man...everyone likes what they like...but best American bands ever? what the hell is a "Kyuss"?

thank god someone mentioned The Ramones and The Velvet Underground before I lost my faith...

the Talking Can
05-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Bob Dylan - without a doubt but didn't consider him even with The Band. IMO Just a solo artist. Very influential talented song writer.

The Grateful Dead - Top 10? Maybe ...quite a following of Deadheads....concerts where their deal....
Some catchy tunes...A lot of live Jam. though.

R.E.M. - Top 10? A generation changing influence band. Never really listened...
but always heard the hype here about one of their guy's being from the East side of STL. Same with Sheryl Crowe...BFD.

Sly Stone - top 10??? Top 25 with some the later bands.

The Ramones - top 10? true American punk.
The Velvet Underground - top 10? maybe 15-20

Give me Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Grandfather of Grunge
Crosby Still Nash & Young - Another deserving bands in top 15-20.

I agree with these questions. Part of being a great band, IMHO, is influencing other bands...which is why - for me - The Ramones and The Velvet Underground are near the top of any post 1960's list in america...R.E.M. is a good band, but I don't think their influence spread far...unlike, Sonic Youth who influenced a lot of bands and helped "discover" Nirvana...though I wouldn't claim that Sonic Youth is a top 10 or 20 band becuase their fan base is too limited...lots of great bands that wouldn't crack the top list...like the Pixies

I think you could argue that Guided By Voices are one of the greatest bands of 1980's on...huge influence on other bands but, again, a rather limited fan base..certainly no radio play...

and, of course, everyone has their own tastes...I am dealing with a narrow range of punk/indie rock...

jlscorpio
05-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Dudes, its called an opinion. I never said my 10 are w/o a doubt the greatest. Kyuss was the original american Stoner Rock band. Am I saying they were more influential than Kiss? Hell no. Lile it says in my original post, this is my list let's see yours. I never said mine was better than anyone lese's.

DMAC
05-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Dudes, its called an opinion. I never said my 10 are w/o a doubt the greatest. Kyuss was the original american Stoner Rock band. Am I saying they were more influential than Kiss? Hell no. Lile it says in my original post, this is my list let's see yours. I never said mine was better than anyone lese's.I have never heard of Kyuss, but I already know I would like them better than Kiss. Kiss SUCKS... IMO :)

htismaqe
05-31-2006, 09:43 AM
The core players in Kyuss (originally The Sons of Kyuss) eventually became Queens of the Stone Age.

Brock
05-31-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't know that they were a GREAT band, but The Cars continue to be a big influence on a lot of today's bands.

ct
05-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Cool thread!! Top 10 is damn hard though. FYI, I'm stuck in old school, so you won't see much recent from me.

The Doors
Van Halen (w/ DLR)
ZZ Top
Doobie Brothers (shocked they haven't been mentioned)
CCR
Metallica (w/ Cliff preferably, but still kick ass!)
Nirvana
GnR
Beach Boys
Aerosmith (I personally don't like em, but they damn sure better be in an American top10, they've earned it!)

Sure hate to exclude Jimi Hendrix, but his band was British, no doubt about it.

Very honorable mention to:

The Grateful Dead
Bob Dylan (I went with bands, not solos)
Bob Segar (see above)
The Eagles
Grand Funk Railroad