PDA

View Full Version : Did you adopt your father's sports teams?

Count Alex's Losses
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
In my case, I had no sports team for the first 11 years of my life. My dad grew up rooting for the Chiefs and Cardinals. When we moved from Scotland to Dallas, he became a Cowboys fan, and Joe Montana begat my Chiefs fandom. We do, however, share loyalty to the baseball and basketball teams native to Dallas (Rangers and Mavericks).

VonneMarie
05-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Nope. My dad is a stoopid 9er's fan. :Lin:

JimNasium
05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
My dad is a Yankees fan. :Lin:

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2006, 08:21 PM
In my case, I had no sports team for the first 11 years of my life. My dad grew up rooting for the Chiefs and Cardinals. When we moved from Scotland to Dallas, he became a Cowboys fan, and Joe Montana begat my Chiefs fandom. We do, however, share loyalty to the baseball and basketball teams native to Dallas (Rangers and Mavericks).

So, it had NOTHING to do with that fact that your dad grew up liking teh Chiefs, eh?

BTW, your poll is flawed, not taking into consideration old fockers.

Rain Man
05-25-2006, 08:22 PM
My dad had no sports teams. He was a fan of cars.

Count Alex's Losses
05-25-2006, 08:22 PM
So, it had NOTHING to do with that fact that your dad grew up liking teh Chiefs, eh?

Nope. Nothing. It's very weird.

DMAC
05-25-2006, 08:27 PM
My dad is a fan of whoever is winning...

Although, after working on him with the Chiefs, he is starting to come around..........

Plus I get him Chiefs gear for his Bdays and Christmas and such. I am forcing them on him.

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2006, 08:27 PM
At first glance, it would appear that my hypothesis is flawed.

VonneMarie
05-25-2006, 08:30 PM
I adopted my MOM's teams tho. :)

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2006, 08:32 PM
I adopted my MOM's teams tho. :)

Yeah, this poll could have been more thorough... too few vanilla options.

4th and Long
05-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Did I adopt them? No. Adoption would denote that I had a choice in the matter. That is not the case.

My father beat me over the head with the Chiefs. I got the "home town pride" speech.

When the Chiefs were on television or they would show film clips, my Dad would say things like, "That Willy Lanier is a REAL foot ball player," or "Big Buck Buchannon is an animal," or "Otis Taylor is just plain gifted," and "That Lenny Dawson is something else."

Then he would tell me that the majority of the rest of the teams were terrible, their coaches were idiots and that no self respecting person would root for any of those teams.

Basically, the man guilted me into being a Chiefs fan.

Thanks Dad! :)

KC Jones
05-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Hard to say if the stronger influence was paternal or environmental. I was raised in KC after all. I'm hoping more people will say yes - I'm counting on raising Chiefs fans in Denver. Heaven help me if it doesn't work out.

SNR
05-25-2006, 08:36 PM
No, but I adopted the teams my dad hated...

He was a Bears fan who hated the Vikings, Raiders, and Cowboys with a burning passion. He also hates the Giants, Falcons, and Dolphins.

Maybe it's just coincidence, but I hate the exact same teams. Of course, I've also added to his hate list the Donkeys and Chargers

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Hah 4th... my dad liked the Chiefs, but it was teh 80's... so he didnt have anything nice to say about them.

VonneMarie
05-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Yeah, this poll could have been more thorough... too few vanilla options.
This poll is teh gh3y.

Spicy McHaggis
05-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Chiefs, Royals, Jayhawks and Bulls. 3 for 4. My dad was/is a Celtics fan.

chefsos
05-25-2006, 08:39 PM
When we were kids my dad wasn't, and still isn't, a sports fan of any kind. (Well, unless you count NASCAR. And I know most of you don't.) My brothers and I were on our own when it came to discovering and playing stick-and-ball sports, and developing favorite teams. Funny thing is, my mom has since become a big baseball fan, much to Dad's chagrin.

JBucc
05-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Only for pro sports. I went with my mom's side for college.

Starbux37
05-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Only when it comes to baseball, Dad was a huge Angels fan and would take us to home games every weekend.

When it came to Pro Football I could never bring myself to being a L.A. Pro Football team fan.

Actually that's the reason why I became a Chiefs fan. I can't stand the Raiders and when they moved to L.A. everybody I hung with was on the Raider train. If there was one thing I could always look forward to it was bringing them down a notch when they lost to the Chiefs. I could almost always count on them making my Mondays in school a little better. I loved getting in my buddies faces and giving them the "Dude, but they lost to the Chiefs". Oh those where good times, yeah good times.

Basileus777
05-25-2006, 09:15 PM
I became a Chiefs fan because of my father, but didn't become a fan for any other teams from him. I am a fan of the Nets because they are the local team and couldn't care less about Baseball or Hockey.

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Only when it comes to baseball, Dad was a huge Angels fan and would take us to home games every weekend.

When it came to Pro Football I could never bring myself to being a L.A. Pro Football team fan.

Actually that's the reason why I became a Chiefs fan. I can't stand the Raiders and when they moved to L.A. everybody I hung with was on the Raider train. If there was one thing I could always look forward to it was bringing them down a notch when they lost to the Chiefs. I could almost always count on them making my Mondays in school a little better. I loved getting in my buddies faces and giving them the "Dude, but they lost to the Chiefs". Oh those where good times, yeah good times.

Respeck.

PunkinDrublic
05-25-2006, 09:29 PM
My Dad was never into sports but he took me to lots of Royals games and later Chiefs games. I remember watching Chiefs training camp at William Jewell college as a kid. I was lucky enough to go to see the Royals play the Tigers in the 84 playoffs and game 1 of the 85 series. For better or for worse I am a lifelong fan of both teams.

jlscorpio
05-25-2006, 09:32 PM
We both love the Razorbacks. However, he was a cowboys fan.

BucEyedPea
05-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Did I adopt them? No. Adoption would denote that I had a choice in the matter. That is not the case.

My father beat me over the head with the Chiefs. I got the "home town pride" speech.

When the Chiefs were on television or they would show film clips, my Dad would say things like, "That Willy Lanier is a REAL foot ball player," or "Big Buck Buchannon is an animal," or "Otis Taylor is just plain gifted," and "That Lenny Dawson is something else."

Then he would tell me that the majority of the rest of the teams were terrible, their coaches were idiots and that no self respecting person would root for any of those teams.

That's it! That explains the Chief's plastic chip holder, watches, bedspreads and sunglasses but mostly the chip holder!

:)

PunkinDrublic
05-25-2006, 09:35 PM

That's how we should all raise our kids.

Iowanian
05-25-2006, 09:36 PM
My dad was too busy working and never really was that "into" sports....but he did sponsor my little league team a couple of years, and my folks always supported our HS athletics when they could.

I'm sure I chose the teams I did because some family is from KC and were Chiefs fans, and I remember Stephon Page and someone else coming to my elementary school. I went through an unfortunate, early "randy and danny white/Tony Dorsett on TV every week Cowboys phase"....and a short stint of another, that I dare not speak of again.

Count Alex's Losses
05-25-2006, 09:39 PM
and a short stint of another, that I dare not speak of again.

Share your pain. And gain strength from the sharing!

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4138/sybok4hw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Iowanian
05-25-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm sure I liked the Royals because of the KC-family connection, but I kind of knew Frank White when I was a kid.

His daughter played on my Cousin's basketball team, and we visited quite a bit for a while, due to some family death stuff....and went to several weekend games he also attended. He once bought my brother and I a lollipop.

He was very nice to us. I'm pretty sure he was the first Black person I was ever physically close enough to speak to.

Iowanian
05-25-2006, 09:42 PM
I can't. The Humiliation I'd endure would be too great.

The Important thing is, I got my mind right.

Ari Chi3fs
05-25-2006, 09:54 PM
I can't. The Humiliation I'd endure would be too great.

The Important thing is, I got my mind right.

IMO, being all wussified about it, goes against everything you preach. And that to me, would be more humiliating.

Frazod
05-25-2006, 10:06 PM
My dad is a Cardinals fan, but my rooting for them has very little to do with that asshole.

Skip Towne
05-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Sadly, my dad died just a few months before the Chiefs moved to KC. He was a KC A's fan though.

bkkcoh
05-25-2006, 10:10 PM
My dad never really was much of a sports fan at all. I am not sure where I got my love of football from...

Count Alex's Losses
05-25-2006, 10:11 PM
My dad never really was much of a sports fan at all. I am not sure where I got my love of football from...

Sounds like teh ghey skipped a generation.

UTChief
05-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Definatly not my dad is a donkeys fan.

greg63
05-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Yes; why?

Skip Towne
05-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes; why?
You ask why? I answer with because.

greg63
05-25-2006, 10:38 PM