PDA

View Full Version : Exercising

Dunit35
05-25-2006, 10:47 PM
I finally started working out a few weeks ago. Right now I can only lift around 2-3 days a week because I don't have a membership and the girl that lets me do it for free only works 2-3 days a week. I'm working on trying to drop a lot of body fat. The main area is my stomach fat that I gained while I was in college. I know it's tough to lose that but without doing cardio work what do you guys think would be the best thing. Running and how long should I jog? I weighed 208 when I went in and now I am down to 204.

I better give a shout out to the night crew! I don't get on very much anymore.

Simplex3
05-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Fat comes off of the body in the reverse of how it went on. You cannot "target lose" fat without a knife and a shop-vac.

Burning fat is best done with cardio 3+ times a week, watching what you ingest, and adding muscle. There is no safe shortcut or secret.

I've actually found that meditation helps me. I think a lot of why I've been storing body fat is stress-related. I've recently began trying out Tai Chi, it's a much better workout than it appears to be and also helps mellow you out. You can get DVDs for $12 and do that on the nights you can't hit the gym.

KC Jones
05-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Big Daddy could give you the best advice of anyone around here.

Here's a few important bits:

More muscle mass = more calorie burning ability

Don't over do one area when you do resistance training - you want 4 or so days to heal after working out a particular muscle group (upper body).

Eat a balanced diet that contains plenty of protein.

Jogging is great if you can take the wear and tear on your lower joints. Run as long as you need to. Definitely mix some kind of cardio with the free weights.

After lifting, when you're dog tired, never pick up your 5 year old using bad body mechanics. My ****ing back is killing me.

greg63
05-25-2006, 10:55 PM
I finally started working out a few weeks ago. Right now I can only lift around 2-3 days a week because I don't have a membership and the girl that lets me do it for free only works 2-3 days a week. I'm working on trying to drop a lot of body fat. The main area is my stomach fat that I gained while I was in college. I know it's tough to lose that but without doing cardio work what do you guys think would be the best thing. Running and how long should I jog? I weighed 208 when I went in and now I am down to 204.

Good luck bud; I'm afraid that I'm not much help to you in this area, but I'll keep posting on your thread to keep it on the front page. :thumb:

greg63
05-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Fat comes off of the body in the reverse of how it went on. You cannot "target lose" fat without a knife and a shop-vac.

Burning fat is best done with cardio 3+ times a week, watching what you ingest, and adding muscle. There is no safe shortcut or secret.

I've actually found that meditation helps me. I think a lot of why I've been storing body fat is stress-related. I've recently began trying out Tai Chi, it's a much better workout than it appears to be and also helps mellow you out. You can get DVDs for $12 and do that on the nights you can't hit the gym.

...What he said.

Halfcan
05-25-2006, 11:00 PM
I lost 125 pounds of fat once....

I got a divorce!

Simplex3
05-25-2006, 11:01 PM
I lost 125 pounds of fat once....

I got a divorce!
If he could afford that he could afford to pay to get into the gym.

Dunit35
05-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Big Daddy could give you the best advice of anyone around here.

Here's a few important bits:

More muscle mass = more calorie burning ability

Don't over do one area when you do resistance training - you want 4 or so days to heal after working out a particular muscle group (upper body).

Eat a balanced diet that contains plenty of protein.

Jogging is great if you can take the wear and tear on your lower joints. Run as long as you need to. Definitely mix some kind of cardio with the free weights.

After lifting, when you're dog tired, never pick up your 5 year old using bad body mechanics. My ****ing back is killing me.

I don't have any children...so scratch that for now.

Dunit35
05-25-2006, 11:04 PM

It's hard for me to eat healthy food when I hate just about anything that is healthy.

What kind of cardio are we talking about here?

Simplex3
05-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Cardio:

First, find out what your max heart rate is.

220 - Age = MaxHR

Generally speaking you should exercise between 50% and 80% of your max rate, starting on the lower end of that and working your way up. Remeber, you need to be in your target HR range for 20 minutes to go aerobic, not just exercising for 20 minutes. You should do a 5 - 7 minute warmup, 20 minutes of main cardio, then a 5 - 7 minute cool-down.

What is your resting heart rate?

penguinz
05-26-2006, 06:12 AM
My resting heart rate is around 60. :(

King_Chief_Fan
05-26-2006, 06:16 AM
It's hard for me to eat healthy food when I hate just about anything that is healthy.

What kind of cardio are we talking about here?

You seem pretty lazy and cheap to me.

First: There are no experts on this board to get FREE advice. consult a doctor or look it up on the internet

second: You should pay for a membership......Free loaders cost the rest of us.

buddha
05-26-2006, 10:30 AM

I thought KC Jones' post was excellent, but I wanted to talk about this one point. If you have any access to a swimming pool, please swim instead of running. Swimming is a much better full-body exercise and it is exponentially better for your joints. The problem with running/jogging is that by the time you realize your knees and ankles are jacked up, it's too late...the damage is done.

The bottom line is that none of us can afford to take more wear and tear on our knees...not if we plan on walking when we're older.

Baby your knees now...you'll thank me sometime down the road.

penguinz
05-26-2006, 10:39 AM
I am looking forward to my knee replacements.

KCTitus
05-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Along these lines, I was hoping someone might have some insight into supplements.

I started working out 4 days a week back at the beginning of Feb. I started at 275 and am now below 250. My routine consists of all 4 days cardio, and lifting 2 days of the 4 so I have a 48 hour break to let the muscles recoup.

Towards the end of the week, I really start to feel run down and getting started come Thursday on my workouts is really tough and I think Im probably not getting enough protein and other vitamins that could help me come back faster.

Any advice?

As for low impact cardio, I typically use the elliptical machine. My knees dont even permit me to jog on a treadmill and I can usually go 4 miles on the machine in less than 40 minutes on my straight cardio days.

BWillie
05-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Just eat chicken breasts, oatmeal, and water. Keep your cals about at 2,000 at first. Or you can try what my uncle did. He lost 120 pounds from just eating beer and green beans.

morphius
05-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Along these lines, I was hoping someone might have some insight into supplements.

I started working out 4 days a week back at the beginning of Feb. I started at 275 and am now below 250. My routine consists of all 4 days cardio, and lifting 2 days of the 4 so I have a 48 hour break to let the muscles recoup.

Towards the end of the week, I really start to feel run down and getting started come Thursday on my workouts is really tough and I think Im probably not getting enough protein and other vitamins that could help me come back faster.

Any advice?

As for low impact cardio, I typically use the elliptical machine. My knees dont even permit me to jog on a treadmill and I can usually go 4 miles on the machine in less than 40 minutes on my straight cardio days.
I have always liked splitting up cardio and lifting all together, lift one night cardio next, then repeat.

Of course this depends on what your lifting equipment is as well, but its not hard to come up with a long lifting routine.

KCTitus
05-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Just eat chicken breasts, oatmeal, and water. Keep your cals about at 2,000 at first. Or you can try what my uncle did. He lost 120 pounds from just eating beer and green beans.

Chicken and water are staples for me...Chicken at least 3-4 days a week, and eggs in the AM. 100oz of water per day...by the last bottle of water, Im peeing every 10 minutes.

penguinz
05-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Starving yourself is always fun.

OnTheWarpath58
05-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm usually not one to fall for "fad" diets, but a friend of mine told me about a book called "The Abs Diet." Written by the editor of Men's Health magazine.

This isn't a fad.....

Very easy to stick to. Workouts you can do at home, and the diet information that most people don't care about/understand. The book is loaded with foods and meal ideas.

I normally wouldn't give props to something like this, but it worked for me.

I weighed 198 pounds when I started with a 35 inch waist.

6 weeks later, I was down to 180, with a 33 inch waist.

Iowanian
05-26-2006, 10:52 AM
I bought a Gazelle at Sears, that I don't use enough. Last week, I bought rickshaw thing you put behind a bike and have started peddling the poopmachine around a couple of 3 nights a week....

I've been doing alot of landscaping and stuff too...shoveling a truckload or two of dirt, and mulch, and slinging landscape bricks around isn't bad exercise either.

KCTitus
05-26-2006, 10:52 AM
I have always liked splitting up cardio and lifting all together, lift one night cardio next, then repeat.

Of course this depends on what your lifting equipment is as well, but its not hard to come up with a long lifting routine.

I have limited equipment...it's a small gym(fitness center) at my office building.

No free weights, all machines. I am primarily doing arms/upper body workouts, repping 3 sets of 10 using the most weight that allows me to 'just barely' finish the last set. -- I have moved up 20 lbs on all machines since I started.

Ideally, it would probably be better to split cardio out, but my time is limited. I only have about an hour to get a workout before I need to get home.

58-4ever
05-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm usually not one to fall for "fad" diets, but a friend of mine told me about a book called "The Abs Diet." Written by the editor of Men's Health magazine.

This isn't a fad.....

Very easy to stick to. Workouts you can do at home, and the diet information that most people don't care about/understand. The book is loaded with foods and meal ideas.

I normally wouldn't give props to something like this, but it worked for me.

I weighed 198 pounds when I started with a 35 inch waist.

6 weeks later, I was down to 180, with a 33 inch waist.

This really works. I've never been hefty, but I've gone from 175 to about 168 with a lot more muscle mass and a lot less fat.

58-4ever
05-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I have limited equipment...it's a small gym(fitness center) at my office building.

No free weights, all machines. I am primarily doing arms/upper body workouts, repping 3 sets of 10 using the most weight that allows me to 'just barely' finish the last set. -- I have moved up 20 lbs on all machines since I started.

Ideally, it would probably be better to split cardio out, but my time is limited. I only have about an hour to get a workout before I need to get home.

You should alternate your sets and do super-sets. One week, do 5 sets of 5 reps, and the next do sets of 16, 14, and 12 reps. You will get stronger even faster.

BWillie
05-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Try to eat filling foods that don't have alot of calories. When you eat something like chicken breasts, you are getting a very filling food without taking in alot of calories, which helps keep your hunger under control. If you are trying to lose weight, don't drink liquids that have calories in them. They aren't filling, and most people neglect to put them on their calorie counts.

You guys are lucky, everybody has trouble losing weight. I have the opposite problem. I can't gain weight. I used to weigh 123 five years ago, now I'm stuck at 182 taking in 5000 calories a day :(

penguinz
05-26-2006, 10:57 AM

You need to do lower body. Your thighs and gluts are the biggest muscles in the body and need/use the most calories. If you work these you will burn much more fat that just doing upper body.

KCTitus
05-26-2006, 11:00 AM
You need to do lower body. Your thighs and gluts are the biggest muscles in the body and need/use the most calories. If you work these you will burn much more fat that just doing upper body.

Good point...I'll have to work that in.

morphius
05-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Titus - I have to go with what penguinz said, add in lower body. I have a machine at home and can easily put in an hour on that thing, so you should be able to do something similar.

I wish I could remember exactly how it went, but lifting weights increases your metabilism for the next 24 hours (for 1 hour of lifting) while 1 hour of Cardio only does so for a few hours.

58-4ever
05-26-2006, 11:10 AM

Plus, doing lower body will make your upper body a lot stronger. It releases natural growth hormones and testosterone into your bloodstream.

dtebbe
05-26-2006, 12:21 PM
IMHO, 45 minutes of cardio and then ligher wight with more reps after the cardio will burn fat like madd. I dropped about 40 pounds that way in about 5 months. Just remember to burn fat with cardio you need to go at about 50-60% of your max heart rate for at least 40 minutes at a time. You don't really start burning fat until after about 20 minutes, and if you work too hard (high heart rate) you don't burn fat. Get a heart rate monitor and just get your heart rate up and keep it there for 45 minutes or so. Fast walking is really all it takes. It's not macho, but it works.

DT

sedated
05-26-2006, 12:35 PM
I've started doing the eliptical at my gym as opposed to running

it's easier on the knees, burns more calories, and builds muscle if you add more resistance.

I also only eat about 500 calories a day at work, then another 500-1000 for dinner.

But I'm still stuck on 180 pounds :cuss: Must be all the beer on the weekends

(not that I'm complaining, I used to be at 235)

Dunit35
05-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll look into this stuff.

dilligaf
05-26-2006, 01:06 PM
I got a divorce about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Since then I have lost about 50 pounds. Went from around 310-320 to 265. I do the eliptical machine about 2-4 times a week and also some light lifting. The best thing I did was not shove so much shit in my face all the time.

Dunit35
05-26-2006, 10:05 PM
I just ran a half mile around my block. Chit, I am extremely out of shape. I also went with 3 pieces of pizza today for lunch instead of my normal 6-7. For supper I only had 3 chicken soft tacos instead of my usual 6 beef tacos.

I'm going to start eating alittle less and running as often as possible, gradualy building up my distance.

ChiefaRoo
05-26-2006, 10:09 PM

Cardio, light lifting, low fat diet, no sugars (soda, apple juice) no eating past 7pm and lots and lots of Fiber (Grape Nuts is best Bran flakes not as good) you'll lose a ton of weight around your middle and elsewhere if you do this.

No charge :)

Dunit35
05-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Cardio, light lifting, low fat diet, no sugars (soda, apple juice) no eating past 7pm and lots and lots of Fiber (Grape Nuts is best Bran flakes not as good) you'll lose a ton of weight around your middle and elsewhere if you do this.

No charge :)

I've cut down on my pop tremondously since I got back from college 3 weeks ago. At work I would drink 5-6 20oz cups of Coke a day and now I drink one when I get to work and that's usually it.

Eating past 7 p.m. is going to be tough. If I am hungry before I go to bed I can't sleep.

The main thing is that I want to lose a lot of body fat but not so many pounds. Is that even possible? I'm at 208 and don't wont to drop below 200-195 range.

ChiefaRoo
05-26-2006, 10:13 PM
I just ran a half mile around my block. Chit, I am extremely out of shape. I also went with 3 pieces of pizza today for lunch instead of my normal 6-7. For supper I only had 3 chicken soft tacos instead of my usual 6 beef tacos.

I'm going to start eating alittle less and running as often as possible, gradualy building up my distance.

Your diet is shite

1) lean meat - grilled chicken
2) veggies - I suggest cutting up bell peppers and dipping them in Ranch for a snack
3) Lots of fiber in the AM

In general don't eat fried brown things.

ChiefaRoo
05-26-2006, 10:15 PM
I've cut down on my pop tremondously since I got back from college 3 weeks ago. At work I would drink 5-6 20oz cups of Coke a day and now I drink one when I get to work and that's usually it.

Eating past 7 p.m. is going to be tough. If I am hungry before I go to bed I can't sleep.

The main thing is that I want to lose a lot of body fat but not so many pounds. Is that even possible? I'm at 208 and don't wont to drop below 200-195 range.

If your hungry have a bowl of cereal. It's filling but there's no fattening items or anything your body has to break down while you sleep.

Good luck!

ChiefaRoo
05-26-2006, 10:16 PM

The weight will take care of itself if you work out and eat right. Don't worry about your scale weight.

Dunit35
05-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Your diet is shite

1) lean meat - grilled chicken
2) veggies - I suggest cutting up bell peppers and dipping them in Ranch for a snack
3) Lots of fiber in the AM

In general don't eat fried brown things.

See the problem with that is that I hate vegetables besides corn and green beans. I ate those three chicken soft tacos while at work today because of the chicken. Although I'm sure it still wasn't good for me.

What foods have fiber in them?

Dunit35
05-26-2006, 10:27 PM
If your hungry have a bowl of cereal. It's filling but there's no fattening items or anything your body has to break down while you sleep.

Good luck!

Good idea. I was thinking about that when you mentioned it earlier.

ChiefaRoo
05-26-2006, 10:31 PM
See the problem with that is that I hate vegetables besides corn and green beans. I ate those three chicken soft tacos while at work today because of the chicken. Although I'm sure it still wasn't good for me.

What foods have fiber in them?

Bran Cereals are the best I've found for fiber. You can buy some really good fiber supplements at GNC and mix it in with milk (Get a bananna flavored one and then blend in a real bananna - tastes best). I would suggest that you do this if you want to flatten out your stomach. Not to be too graphic but you should be using the #2 bathroom every day one to three times depending on your metabolism.

Try to eat foods that are higher on the food chain and get away from fast food. It's got tons of junk in it and it's low grade quality chicken, beef etc.

If you have to eat fast food do it at a higher level place like Chipotle (Eat the chicken tacos) stay away from the carbs (like the burrito)

Oh one more thing. When you go to GNC buy a bottle of Omega 3 (not 6) fish oil supplements (1 GM softgels) take four each morning. Good for your heart and it will help you digest food too.

EAT AS MUCH NON FRIED FISH AS YOU CAN STAND

Moooo
05-27-2006, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't go for cereal whenever you are going to bed. If you wanna lose weight, I'd eat about 3-4 hours before, and deny yourself after that. In the presence of carbs (which that cereal has tons of), your body cannot burn the stored fat it has. So whenever you eat cereal, you don't burn fat. If you can eat some carbs a few hours before you go to bed, refrain from any more, you will burn the fat in your body all night long.

And as far as the people who are telling you your diet sucks, they may be right, but don't listen. Take the process one step at a time. A calorie is worth a certain amount of energy whether its in a drumstick or a slimfast. If you can limit them, it won't really matter what you eat beside the obvious health problems. The soda was an awesome start, those 4 cans you cut out were 600 calories alone! Now, get the workout program ingrained in you till its habit. Then start working on getting rid of some of the major culprits one at a time (like french fries, then potato chips, etc.) If you do it all at once you will learn to resent your diet and go off it 3 months after you start it (if you make it that long).

And if you're wanting to burn the most calories possible, weightlifting will work just as well as a cardio program, and will make your cardio program work twice as well. When you lift weights, you're asking your body to make muscle. Muscle takes a lot more energy to make and maintain than fat does (per pound), so when you are asking your body to make this new muscle, it will have no choice but to get rid of the fat you have. And when you weightlift, remember to work the legs out, cause they will hold the key. Not only will the increased thigh mass make your weight seem less "fat," and the increased muscle mass will help you shed away the fat.

Also, keep your exercises to compound movements (chest and shoulder presses, pullups or pulldowns, squats or legpresses.) Remember, a squat uses 66% of your body's muscle mass in order to do. That will get you looking good in no time.

And lastly, don't work out one muscle group more than once a week. If you can do so without a problem, try working it harder that one time and letting it rest. It will hurt more the day after for damn sure, but it will get that muscle growing, and get that gut shrinking.

Moooo