PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Defensive Tackles

jspchief
05-26-2006, 06:39 AM
There are currently 3 solid DTs on the market. Grady Jackson, Dan Wilkinson, and Brenston Buckner. All of these guys played in all 16 games last year, and played in the majority of snaps for their defense (in other words, starters).

All 3 of these guys are old, so realistically need to be looked at as 1 year additions. However, all of these guys are also probably better than most of the DTs on our roster.

The question is, what player would you consider dropping to make room for a one year fix DT?

Chiefs current DTs (My guess to make the cut in bold):
Ryan Sims
Ron Edwards
Lional Dalton
John Browning
Junior Siavii
Arrion Dixon
Alex Guerrero

IMO, Sims and Edwards are the two guys we definately keep. Browning is a solid but unspectacular rotation guy. Dalton seems like a candidate to be replaced, as does the perrenial barrell of shit that is Siavii.

So is it worth letting one of these younger guys go to bring in a one year fix at DT?

jspchief
05-26-2006, 06:41 AM
2005 stats:

Grady Jackson, 38 solo tackles, 1 sack, 10 year vet
Brenston Buckner, 28 solo, 1 sack, 12 year vet
Dan Wilkinson, 20 solo, 3 sacks, 12 year vet

Mr. Kotter
05-26-2006, 06:49 AM
2005 stats:

Grady Jackson, 38 solo tackles, 1 sack, 10 year vet
Brenston Buckner, 28 solo, 1 sack, 12 year vet
Dan Wilkinson, 20 solo, 3 sacks, 12 year vetI don't know if any of these guys are suited for the Cover 2. The reason Wilkinson was released from Detroit, according to ESPN, was he doesn't fit the scheme. Jackson is also a "clog up the middle" kinda guy, and less a penetration guy. I don't know about Buckner.

As much as some are concerned about CB next year, I remain most concerned about DT. Unless Sims and Edwards surprise us, or someone unexpected comes along....it could be our Achilles--again.

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 06:50 AM
2006 ages:

Grady Jackson, 33
Brenston Buckner, 35
Dan Wilkinson, 33

No thanks.

Mr. Kotter
05-26-2006, 06:53 AM
2006 ages:

Grady Jackson, 33
Brenston Buckner, 35
Dan Wilkinson, 33

No thanks.
33 for DT, is not too old....if they are still productive. If they can give you 30-40 good snaps, they can still contibute well. I'm not saying they can play for 4-5 years.....but 2 or 3 isn't uncommon.

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 06:56 AM
33 for DT, is not too old....if they are reasonably fit. If they can give you 30-40 good snaps, they can still contibute well. I'm not saying they can play for 4-5 years.....but 2 or 3 isn't uncommon.We're talking about guys with 10-12 year careers under their belts and neither Wilkinson nor Jackson are known for being "fit".

I don't see the attraction, other than the normal infatuation that people have for anyone who isn't on our roster. 'cause, well, they must be better than anyone we have, by default. Until we sign them, and then all of a sudden we signed the wrong one, or they're too old, or they suck.

jspchief
05-26-2006, 07:04 AM
We're talking about guys with 10-12 year careers under their belts and neither Wilkinson nor Jackson are known for being "fit".

I don't see the attraction, other than the normal infatuation that people have for anyone who isn't on our roster. 'cause, well, they must be better than anyone we have, by default. Until we sign them, and then all of a sudden we signed the wrong one, or they're too old, or they suck.Well, I said in the starter that these guys are likely only a one year addition. But I don't think you can argue that they are all better than guys like Browning, Siavii, and probably Dalton.

I'm not suggesting them as starters. I believe Edwards and Sims will be our starters if they stay healthy. But that's a big if. But any of these 3 might be solid depth. I doubt we run Cover 2 exclusively, so there could be games/situations where a fatty fits in well.

I'm not sure any of them are worth it. I'm always hesitant to let young guys go in favor of old, declining players. However, I do believe DT is an area where we are still weak, and these guys are upgrades over most of the DTs we have.

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Well, I said in the starter that these guys are likely only a one year addition. But I don't think you can argue that they are all better than guys like Browning, Siavii, and probably Dalton.Sure I can argue that. I'm not sure they are better than Browning or Dalton. Siavii? I don't know. I hate giving up on a guy after two years, but he's no spring chicken himself (28 now?).

StcChief
05-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Playing King Carl just from a $$ perspective.

Jackson to replace Dalton 2006 gets $710000.00

Jr Savaii 2006 gets $425000.00

Cap hit?

Gaz
05-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Call me hopelessly naïve, but I have not yet given up on Sims and Siavii.

Of course, that could be because I do not want to give up on Sims and Siavii…

xoxo~
Gaz
Relentlessly optimistic.

jspchief
05-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Sure I can argue that. I'm not sure they are better than Browning or Dalton. Siavii? I don't know. I hate giving up on a guy after two years, but he's no spring chicken himself (28 now?).Really? What's your argument for Dalton and Browning?

These guys have been career starters for 10+ years. Browning is a career backup, and Dalton can barely hold down a job.

jspchief
05-26-2006, 07:21 AM

xoxo~
Gaz
Relentlessly optimistic.
I haven't given up on Sims. I believe if healthy, he'll be solid, maybe great.

I have pretty much given up on Siavii. As bad as we need DTs, this guy can still barely get on the field.

htismaqe
05-26-2006, 07:49 AM
I'd get rid of Siavii and Browning.

Chiefnj
05-26-2006, 08:08 AM
I don't understand why people claim a big guy isn't suited for a cover 2 defense. In a cover 2 you need your front 4 to get pressure. If you have one big guy in the middle who can take up 2 blockers and even push them back a bit doesn't that mean: (a) single coverage for the other DL and a greater chance they can get to the QB and (b) a smaller pocket for the QB to step up into.

jspchief
05-26-2006, 08:14 AM
I don't understand why people claim a big guy isn't suited for a cover 2 defense. In a cover 2 you need your front 4 to get pressure. If you have one big guy in the middle who can take up 2 blockers and even push them back a bit doesn't that mean: (a) single coverage for the other DL and a greater chance they can get to the QB and (b) a smaller pocket for the QB to step up into.Most Cover 2s use "smaller" DTs.

But Denver runs some Cover 2, and Warren isn't exactly small.

Chiefnj
05-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Most Cover 2s use "smaller" DTs.

But Denver runs some Cover 2, and Warren isn't exactly small.

Wasn't Sapp always in the 310+ range in Tampa?

4 smaller linemen to play in November and December in Arrowhead is asking for problems IMO.

stevieray
05-26-2006, 08:22 AM
I was watching Siavii at open practice...

he just doesn't look motivated, or in shape. He appears to just be going through the motions.. no intensity at all.

SNR
05-26-2006, 09:41 AM
I think you need to re-name this thread "Defensive tackles the Chiefs won't pick up"

BigChiefFan
05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm hoping Alex Guerrero can make the club.

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
I always thought the tampa two used a smaller undertackle (sapp) and a bigger overtackle (mcfarland, before sapp left, he's undertackle now, and only @300). I could be wrong about that, though. I think they had Hovan starting at the overtackle last year and he's not even 300.

alanm
05-26-2006, 09:52 AM

xoxo~
Gaz
Relentlessly optimistic.

I know how you feel. One guy can't stay healthy enough to gauge just how good he really is, And the other hasn't been able to beat out the other DT's for playing time. Which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of his own play to date. :( :shake:

FAX
05-26-2006, 09:54 AM

I would never call you, or anyone else for that matter, hopelessly naive, Mr. Gaz. But, I think you should reconsider your opinion of Siavii. There is something wrong with him. Injury? Attitude? Depression? I'm not sure.

But, he does not belong in the NFL. He should be in the National Hot Dog Eating League or something.

FAX

CoMoChief
05-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I would never call you, or anyone else for that matter, hopelessly naive, Mr. Gaz. But, I think you should reconsider your opinion of Siavii. There is something wrong with him. Injury? Attitude? Depression? I'm not sure.

But, he does not belong in the NFL. He should be in the National Hot Dog Eating League or something.

FAX

Siavii was a rediculous reach in the 2nd round. Many people had him being drafted in the late 4th or 5th rounds. I'm still pissed we traded down for that piece of shit.

ct
06-01-2006, 03:54 PM
football threads get a bump

rad
06-01-2006, 04:56 PM
football threads get a bump

Ditto