PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to be invisible?

Rooster
05-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Scientists ponder invisibility cloak

By Andrew Bridges, The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Imagine an invisibility cloak that works just like the one Harry Potter inherited from his father.
Researchers in England and the United States think they know how to do that. They are laying out the blueprint and calling for help in developing the exotic materials needed to build a cloak.

The keys are special manmade materials, unlike any in nature or the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. These materials are intended to steer light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation around an object, rendering it as invisible as something tucked into a hole in space.

"Is it science fiction? Well, it's theory and that already is not science fiction. It's theoretically possible to do all these Harry Potter things, but what's standing in the way is our engineering capabilities," said John Pendry, a physicist at the Imperial College London.

Details of the study, which Pendry co-wrote, appear in Thursday's online edition of the journal Science.

Scientists not involved in the work said it presents a solid case for making invisibility an attainable goal.

"This is very interesting science and a very interesting idea and it is supported on a great mathematical and physical basis," said Nader Engheta, a professor of electrical and systems engineering at the University of Pennsylvania. Engheta has done his own work on invisibility using novel materials called metamaterials.

Pendry and his co-authors also propose using metamaterials because they can be tuned to bend electromagnetic radiation — radio waves and visible light, for example — in any direction.

A cloak made of those materials, with a structure designed down to the submicroscopic scale, would neither reflect light nor cast a shadow.

Instead, like a river streaming around a smooth boulder, light and all other forms of electromagnetic radiation would strike the cloak and simply flow around it, continuing on as if it never bumped up against an obstacle. That would give an onlooker the apparent ability to peer right through the cloak, with everything tucked inside concealed from view.

"Yes, you could actually make someone invisible as long as someone wears a cloak made of this material," said Patanjali Parimi, a Northeastern University physicist and design engineer at Chelton Microwave Corp. in Bolton, Mass. Parimi was not involved in the research.

Such a cloak does not exist, but early versions that could mask microwaves and other forms of electromagnetic radiation could be as close as 18 months away, Pendry said. He said the study was "an invitation to come and play with these new ideas."

"We will have a cloak after not too long," he said.

The Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency supported the research, given the obvious military applications of such stealthy technology.

While Harry Potter could wear his cloak to skulk around Hogwarts, a real-world version probably would not be something just to be thrown on, Pendry said.

"To be realistic, it's going to be fairly thick. Cloak is a misnomer. 'Shield' might be more appropriate," he said.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-05-25-potter-cloak_x.htm

hypersensitiveZO6
05-26-2006, 10:00 AM
:Robinson:

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 10:02 AM
This is something the military's been playing with for years (invisibility). I think they may actually have a practical working model. Not a cloak, but some armor, either body armor or vehicle armor. I can't remember where I read about that, however.

FAX
05-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Yes, Mr. Rooster. I would.

FAX

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 10:03 AM

FAXCaught

JBucc
05-26-2006, 10:06 AM

FAX
So would I. I wonder how you would be able to see out of it though.

FAX
05-26-2006, 10:16 AM
So would I. I wonder how you would be able to see out of it though.

I suppose one would require special, man-made anti-invisibility sunglasses, Mr. JBucc. Like reverse engineered x-ray specs.

Although, having invisibility spectacles would be cool, too. Like putting the whole world on universal ignore. I wonder if that's what the Dali Lama uses?

FAX

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I wondered how long it would take you to recognize the flaw in your evil machinations.

FAX
05-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I wondered how long it would take you to recognize the flaw in your evil machinations.

And the answer is. Two posts.

FAX

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I wonder if this would've worked.

Oh, too bad.

Inspector
05-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Taco John was seen putting on one of these cloakes as he raced to the Jr. High boys shower room.

FAX
I wonder if this would've worked.

Nope, Mr. keg in kc. The scientific community has determined that that approach sucks.

FAX

keg in kc
Nope, Mr. keg in kc. The scientific community has determined that that approach sucks.

FAXI realize that

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
There we go.

morphius
05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
KEG - Luckily this isn't something you should have to worry about, having seen you in person, I'm sure that you could pass through any room without anyone really noticing you were there at all.

keg in kc
05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
KEG - Luckily this isn't something you should have to worry about, having seen you in person, I'm sure that you could pass through any room without anyone really noticing you were there at all.That is a well-honed talent of mine.

Rain Man
05-26-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm in my 40s, white, and bald. For all practical purposes, I am invisible in today's society.

StcChief
05-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Can we get the Xray glasses with that too.

luv
05-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I already am in most situations.

greg63
05-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Would you like to be invisible?

Who said that; where are you??? :D

4th and Long
05-26-2006, 12:04 PM
When I close my eyes, ... I'm invisible.

teedubya
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks FAX,

I think I just found my new posting schpiel. The invisibile poster.

Mwhahaha ahaa. SpoilerGuy.

JBucc
05-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks FAX,

I think I just found my new posting schpiel. The invisibile poster.

Mwhahaha ahaa. SpoilerGuy.except you suck at it

teedubya
05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
except you suck at it

Truly, you should be the invisible poster... since your posts suck anyway.

KCChiefsMan
05-26-2006, 01:57 PM
speaking of invisible..

Hallow Man 2 came out this week baby! If it's even half as great as the first one it will be a classic!

**hoping you sense my sarcasm**

Hammock Parties
05-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I'd like to be invisible and have sex. I bet that's a total turn-on for the chick.

morphius
05-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I'd like to be invisible and have sex. I bet that's a total turn-on for the chick.
Well, at least it would probably be less of a turn off for her then actually seeing you...