05-26-2006, 12:17 PM
any salt-o-holic in da houze?

jspchief
05-26-2006, 12:18 PM
It will be the death of me.

Donger
05-26-2006, 12:19 PM
No, it can't stand salt.

Growing up in England, the slop that passed as food was so tasteless that everything was smothered in salt. I didn't know that food could actually taste nice until we emigrated.

So, I still hate salt.

luv
05-26-2006, 12:21 PM
I never add salt to my food once it's cooked, but I do add it, when necessary, to what I'm cooking while I'm cooking it. Except for cookies. I use the salted butter, but I don't add the salt that they call for.

beavis
05-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Salt sucks. I avoid it whenever I can. The only way I can stand it is if it's cooked into something and I can't really "taste" it.

luv
05-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Salt sucks. I avoid it whenever I can. The only way I can stand it is if it's cooked into something and I can't really "taste" it.
When it's used correctly, it enhances the flavor of the food you're seasoning. Too much, though, is nasty.

Rain Man
I'm not sure how to vote. I never put it on food, but that's only because I don't think about it. I like the taste, though, and would undoubtedly make great use of salt licks if I was living in the wild.

I really like the salt on edamame when we go to sushi places. I think it's sea salt or something, but it's got a great flavor.

KcMizzou
I like salt, but I like obscene amounts of pepper. When I eat fries, I'll mix pepper in the ketchup till it turns dark.

Rain Man
05-26-2006, 12:26 PM
When it's used correctly, it enhances the flavor of the food you're seasoning. Too much, though, is nasty.

I had a dream once where, for some reason, my mouth was completely full of salt. It was really kind of gross.

I wonder if you can die of a salt overdose.

Predarat
05-26-2006, 12:26 PM
I used to be a saltoholic but the doc made me cut down.

luv
05-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I like salt, but I like obscene amounts of pepper. When I eat fries, I'll mix pepper in the ketchup till it turns dark.
I cannot have a baked potato or corn on the cob without pepper. Well, I could, but I wouldn't enjoy them as much.

alpha_omega
05-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Can't imagine corn on the cob, or french fries without it.

luv
05-26-2006, 12:28 PM
I had a dream once where, for some reason, my mouth was completely full of salt. It was really kind of gross.

I wonder if you can die of a salt overdose.
Salt makes you retain fluids. I believe that's why people with heart problems shouldn't eat a lot of salt. I could be wrong though.

4th and Long
05-26-2006, 12:29 PM
When I was much younger, I used to salt the hell out of my food. These days, I have found that most food have enough salt in/on them already. It also dramatically changes the natural flavor of food. I now subscribe the the J.C. Penny rule when it comes to salting my food.

Penney believed in a unique executive hiring criterion: The "salt test."

When selecting new managers, the founder of one of the nation's largest retail chains often took the candidates out to eat where he scrutinized their behavior. Many passed the inspection, but others were disqualified by violating Penney's cardinal rule: "Never salt your food before tasting it."

Salting before tasting, Penny believed, revealed the flaw of making decisions without information. If you are going to use a strong flavor enhancer, he reasoned, you must first know your food.

Of course, using salt as a hiring test is a debatable methodology, yet we can agree with J.C. Penny on at least this much: Salt changes the taste of what it touches.

Stinger
05-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Was a salt-o-holic up through college. Only thing that save the food in college. After I got my own place and was able to learn how to really cook it tapered off now I hardly use at all.

jspchief
05-26-2006, 12:31 PM
I use a ton of it, but I think it's because my sense of taste is deadened from too many broken noses.

I also use a ton of pepper and hot sauce. I always have to spice up my food with something.

Kclee
05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
I use a ton of it, but I think it's because my sense of taste is deadened from too many broken noses.

Heh. So you come off harsh in person too?

Donger
05-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Heh. So you come off harsh in person too?

Don't jump to conclusions. Maybe he's just really bad at opening doors, or something.

jspchief
05-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Heh. So you come off harsh in person too?Pretty much. Although I'm not too bad anymore. This place is a nice outlet. :)

greg63
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
It will be the death of me.

Yep, I am hopelessly addicted myself.

JBucc
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
On certain food, like potatoes and macaroni and cheese I put quite a bit on. Lots of pepper on those too.

greg63
05-26-2006, 12:49 PM

I also use a ton of pepper and hot sauce. I always have to spice up my food with something.

Ditto; again.

JBucc
05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't like hot sauce for some reason. Most of them just taste weird. I prefer just pepper.

Boozer
05-26-2006, 12:57 PM
When I was much younger, I used to salt the hell out of my food. These days, I have found that most food have enough salt in/on them already. It also dramatically changes the natural flavor of food. I now subscribe the the J.C. Penny rule when it comes to salting my food.

When selecting new managers, the founder of one of the nation's largest retail chains often took the candidates out to eat where he scrutinized their behavior. Many passed the inspection, but others were disqualified by violating Penney's cardinal rule: "Never salt your food before tasting it."

Salting before tasting, Penny believed, revealed the flaw of making decisions without information. If you are going to use a strong flavor enhancer, he reasoned, you must first know your food.

Of course, using salt as a hiring test is a debatable methodology, yet we can agree with J.C. Penny on at least this much: Salt changes the taste of what it touches.

Your and idiot. (http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/salted.asp)
;)

Rain Man
05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Your and idiot. (http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/salted.asp)
;)

I think it would be better to invite them to lunch and instruct the chef beforehand to salt their food so heavily that it's inedible. That way you could see how they handle an awkward situation - will they complain, will they eat it anyway, will they just pick at it and move on? It would be very telling.

BucEyedPea
05-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Living in the tropics one needs more salt.

When I first moved here I used to practically pass out from the heat with weakness. A bowl of salty soup revived me. Effect was noticed. You can die from lack of salt in certain climates. I like salty food a lot more now.

Rain Man
05-26-2006, 01:31 PM

When I first moved here I used to practically pass out from the heat with weakness. A bowl of salty soup revived me. Effect was noticed. You can die from lack of salt in certain climates. I like salty food a lot more now.

Is that why margaritas have salt on the rim?

chagrin
05-26-2006, 01:32 PM
I used to practically pass out from the heat with weakness. A bowl of salty soup revived me. Effect was noticed. You can die from lack of salt in certain climates. I like salty food a lot more now.

And, wait, it's a meatball right over the center of home plate...

KCChiefsMan
05-26-2006, 01:37 PM
I like to sprinkle salt on my ketchup, that way I can control the salt distribution to my french fries

KCChiefsMan
05-26-2006, 01:41 PM

I remember a ku game in hawaii when Nick Collison mentioned that they all had to pour salt in their gatorade for rehydration purposes

bogie
05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
I cannot have a baked potato or corn on the cob without pepper. Well, I could, but I wouldn't enjoy them as much.

I've never used pepper on corn on the cob. I just butter a piece of white bread and roll the hot cob in the buttered bread and then salt the corn over the melted butter. Then I have a nice piece of warm bread and butter that I can eat with my salty corn. I never salt before the butter or the salt won't stick properly to the corn. But pepper, for some reason I've never tried it. I will now.

sedated
05-26-2006, 02:07 PM
(Grasps chest and falls to the floor)

BucEyedPea
05-26-2006, 02:40 PM

I have no idea...but it's my favorite cocktail drink...just love the sweet and sour combo.

I actually have to take salt tablets here in the summer or potassium.

From what I was told if you don't have enough salt, you don't hold enough fluid which you lose sweating. This not only cools your body, but a lack can dehydrate you. It can give you headaches too. I drink lots of water and carry it wherever I go here.

Count Zarth
05-26-2006, 02:53 PM
No, it can't stand salt.

Growing up in England, the slop that passed as food was so tasteless that everything was smothered in salt. I didn't know that food could actually taste nice until we emigrated.

So, I still hate salt.

That's interesting. I never developed that attitude toward salt.

Carlota69
05-26-2006, 02:55 PM
I avoid salt if possible (health reasons), however, I cook with sea salt. I like the flavor better and it is so much better for you. Typically you can find sea salt in good health foods and most sushi places put it on the edamame. YUM!

Mr. Laz
05-26-2006, 04:42 PM

you sound like a salty protein loving kind of guy :thailor: :whackit: :BLVD:

BucEyedPea
05-26-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm a lady laz.

I also use sea salt as well...has more minerals.

Mr. Laz
05-26-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm a lady laz.

I also use sea salt as well...has more minerals.

well darn it... ruin a perfectly good gay joke will ya. :harumph:

:)

bogie
05-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh hay I just remembered, I have a salt water pool. So I use lots of salt.

Rain Man
05-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Oh hay I just remembered, I have a salt water pool. So I use lots of salt.

Seriously? You have a saltwater pool? How's the maintenance on that relative to a freshwater pool? And do you grow your own coral reef? If I had a saltwater pool, I would definitely grow some coral in it. And maybe add one of those little manta rays. It'd be really cool to have a pet manta ray.

bogie
05-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Seriously? You have a saltwater pool? How's the maintenance on that relative to a freshwater pool? And do you grow your own coral reef? If I had a saltwater pool, I would definitely grow some coral in it. And maybe add one of those little manta rays. It'd be really cool to have a pet manta ray.

We completed our pool about 2 months ago. We bought a salt water filter for $500.00 and that was the only part different from a chlorine pool. After the plaster had set up on the pool (2 weeks or so) I bought about 300 lbs of salt from Home Depot and poured it directly into the pool. So far there has been zero maintenance and zero chemicals added to the pool. My daughter has a touch of psoriasis and this has helped clear it up. It's better for your skin. It doesn't burn your eyes. It makes you very buoyant (I like that part). Also, the saltwater doesn't kill the grass in our back yard, I heard chlorine water will kill the grass.

bogie
05-26-2006, 06:52 PM

I think coral would hurt my feet. I'm not hiring a pool guy, I clean the pool myself. I really don't want to clean up manta ray poop.

BucEyedPea
05-26-2006, 07:28 PM
:)

None were cute either. :p

cdcox
05-26-2006, 07:59 PM
I have five types of salt in my house (not counting flavored salts): table salt, kosher salt, fine sea salt, coarse sea salt, and margarita salt. Can anyone beat that?

sedated
05-26-2006, 08:19 PM

...and a very disturbing picture

luv
05-27-2006, 12:32 AM
I don't do the salt part when taking a shot of tequila. But I must have salt on the rim of my margarita glass. Weird.

luv
05-27-2006, 12:34 AM

I would say that is due partly to the fact that salt helps you retain fluids. You'd need that more in a tropical climate.

greg63
05-27-2006, 12:45 AM
I would say that is due partly to the fact that salt helps you retain fluids. You'd need that more in a tropical climate.
I don't need it; I'm just addicted to it. Of course I don't live in a tropical climate either.

luv
05-27-2006, 12:46 AM
I don't need it; I'm just addicted to it.
Too much can be bad for you. I guess you could almost say that about anything taken in excess.

JD10367
03-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I was going to start a salt poll but, this being the site that it is, of course someone already did one. I was going to ask how people use salt, either:

- automatically, before tasting food
- only after tasting food
- never

But this poll is pretty close.

I used to salt my food automatically, before tasting it. Then, a few years back, the doc hit me with the hypertension/HBP diagnosis, and since then I stopped salting my food. I'm now so used to the flavor of salt-less food that I rarely if ever salt anything (with the one weird exception being movie-theater popcorn). I do use more pepper than I used to, though, to offset the non-use of salt. I would guess that most Americans probably salt their food automatically without even tasting it to see if it needs it or not.

DJ's left nut
03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Rarely do I add it to food after its cooked.

Almost invariably I will add it to food as I'm cooking it. It completely changes the flavor of food but does it without making it salty.

I'm of the mind that you wouldn't have a 'salt' section on your tongue if it was as devilish for you as the health nuts claim. Our body was built to taste this stuff and evolved its own spot for it. There's not a hydrochloric acid section on my tongue...

Fried Meat Ball!
03-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Rarely do I add it to food after its cooked.

Almost invariably I will add it to food as I'm cooking it. It completely changes the flavor of food but does it without making it salty.

I'm of the mind that you wouldn't have a 'salt' section on your tongue if it was as devilish for you as the health nuts claim. Our body was built to taste this stuff and evolved its own spot for it. There's not a hydrochloric acid section on my tongue...

Well, salt is a necessity, but I think the "health nuts" believe we eat way, way too much of it. You can easily get enough salt in your diet naturally from foods, without adding it in the cooking process or afterward.

kindra68
03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I have five types of salt in my house (not counting flavored salts): table salt, kosher salt, fine sea salt, coarse sea salt, and margarita salt. Can anyone beat that?

(i know it's a little late in the game but..)

Flavored salts; Are you talking about onion salt, garlic salt, celery salt ect or are you talking about smoked sea salt, gray salt, fleur de sel?

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't add salt to anything, don't cook with it, don't need it. I flavor with spices, herbs, and fresh food so no salt is necessary.

The girl I'm seeing is very health conscious too but her big vice, IMO, is she loves salt.

bevischief
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Use Sea Salt it is healthier than normal table salt.

luv
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
I don't add salt to anything, don't cook with it, don't need it. I flavor with spices, herbs, and fresh food so no salt is necessary.

The girl I'm seeing is very health conscious too but her big vice, IMO, is she loves salt.

What kinds of spices are you using? Some of those are pretty high in sodium.

bevischief
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't like hot sauce for some reason. Most of them just taste weird. I prefer just pepper.

Sounds like you are trying the cheap ones.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Spice mixtures can be high in sodium. Things like cayenne, oregano, pepper... those are not.

bevischief
03-10-2011, 01:57 PM

I agree with this well.

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM

I don't use mixtures. I use ground cumin, tumeric, oregano, pepper, cayenne, etc. I also use fresh parsley, tarragon, basil, cilantro, etc.

Predarat
03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Salt is evil, even more evil then Michelle Preston.

mnchiefsguy
03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Salt is good.

DTLB58
03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I was told to give it up as of June 26th, 2009 by the surgeon that put in my mechanical heart valve.

I have complied except for with sweet corn. Just can't eat good ol' Iowa sweet corn without butter, salt and pepper.

tooge
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
i rarely put salt on foods after it gets to the table, but I always use salt in cooking. I can't imagine cooking without salt. I usually use mortons light salt though which has like half the sodium or something like that.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
i rarely put salt on foods after it gets to the table, but I always use salt in cooking. I can't imagine cooking without salt. I usually use mortons light salt though which has like half the sodium or something like that.

Half sodium, half potassium.

I don't like that stuff at all. It has a metallic taste to me.

Alton deFlat
I use salt mostly when cooking. I don't use much, and when I do it's sea salt or kosher salt. I very seldom use it after that.

Bwana
Salt is ok, but I love my pepper.

Mr. Laz
03-10-2011, 02:31 PM
i've stopped adding salt to food (post cooking) completely. Which is a dramatic change from when i made this poll. I used to dump salt on everything then my blood pressure went crazy so i had to stop.

quitting with the salt, made all the difference in my blood pressure and "eye pressure" headaches.

Jenson71
03-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Thankfully, I'm too stupid to remember that I like it.

Short Leash Hootie
03-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I just love salt...especially celery salt on Chicago style dogs.

Count Zarth
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
No reason not to eat salt. It's a myth that it's bad for you.

Frosty
03-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Except for a small percentage of the population that actually is salt sensitive.

Mr. Laz
03-10-2011, 05:00 PM

tell that to my blood pressure and headaches

Detoxing
03-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Only use it for cooking once in awhile. Most of what i cook has enough salt in it as it is to not require any additional.

Love it on my margaritas though.

KcMizzou
03-10-2011, 05:28 PM
I use salt quite a bit, but I bet I use twice as much black pepper.

Jenson71
03-10-2011, 05:34 PM

You strike me as the kind of guy who puts so much pepper in your ketchup for your fries, it ends up being black.

KcMizzou
03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
You strike me as the kind of guy who puts so much pepper in your ketchup for your fries, it ends up being black.Yep...lol

Groves
03-10-2011, 05:39 PM
We've got some medical salt wasters in our house, so unless we want sky high pulses and blood pressures through the floor, we always have it on hand and use it liberally.

If you ever meet people with adrenal problems, they often need to consume large amounts, too.

Also, in our current "sea salt" obsessed culture, beware the overdose of those trace minerals. Some things are better of consumed in trace amounts only.

mlyonsd
03-10-2011, 06:20 PM

I hated pepper growing up but now I use it more than salt.

Kerberos
03-11-2011, 10:52 AM
I have switched to Sea Salt only. I will never go back to table salt. EVA.

Inspector
03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Is sea salt iodized? Is that stuff important - the iodine? I thought it was to put on scratches and stuff.

jd1020
03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Outside of cooking and using it with pepper as the 2 base seasonings for pretty much everything, I only add more salt if it desperately needs it.

patteeu
03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Is sea salt iodized? Is that stuff important - the iodine? I thought it was to put on scratches and stuff.

Sea salt contains trace amounts of iodine but the level isn't as uniform as it is in iodized salt. Sea salt also contains other trace minerals. Yes, it's important to have a small amount of iodine in your diet. I think the best approach would be to use both, not necessarily at the same time.

Gonzo
03-11-2011, 02:03 PM
I was going to start a salt poll but, this being the site that it is, of course someone already did one. I was going to ask how people use salt, either:

- never

I used to salt my food automatically, before tasting it. Then, a few years back, the doc hit me with the hypertension/HBP diagnosis, and since then I stopped salting my food. I'm now so used to the flavor of salt-less food that I rarely if ever salt anything (with the one weird exception being movie-theater popcorn). I do use more pepper than I used to, though, to offset the non-use of salt. I would guess that most Americans probably salt their food automatically without even tasting it to see if it needs it or not.
As I get older, I tend to use it a little more than I used to. And btw, rep this man for thread research.
Posted via Mobile Device

Otter
03-11-2011, 02:06 PM

- never

Salt & butter on popcorn is my Achilles heal as well. Also try some seasoned salt and Parmesan cheese.

Yummmy!

RedNeckRaider
03-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I have switched to Sea Salt only. I will never go back to table salt. EVA.

Sea salt products do not work for me. If it says "sea salt" on the package I will not buy it~

RedNeckRaider
03-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Except for a small percentage of the population that actually is salt sensitive.

~