PDA

View Full Version : How President Bush makes a decision (today we look at Iraq)

Logical
05-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Personally I think people are giving Bush credit for something that Cheney and Rumsfeld control. Bush is just the figurehead that allows them to control the Executive branch of government.

I see decisions sort of going like this(warning stop here if you are humor impaired):

Cheney: George (he does not address him as Mr President) we need to get rid of Saddam

Bush: Why

Cheney: He is a bad man who shoots at our planes and is trying to build WMDs

Bush: What is a WMD?

Cheney: (rolling his eyes) Nukes or chemical/biological weapons

Bush: So are Chemical and Biological weapons bad (he is smart enough to know that he does not want Nukalar weapons in Saddam's hands)

Cheney: (stifling an urge to throttle George) yes they are very, very bad.

Bush: OK then do what you think is right.

Later that day:

Rumsfeld: Mr President (feigning respect) may I speak with you?

Bush: Yes Uncle Don, by the way dad says hi.

Rumsfeld: Thanks, I will give your dad a call. Anyway we want to invade Iraq so we can get rid of Saddam.

Bush: Yeah I know Mr. Cheney told me. I already said it was OK.

Rumsfeld: Well I just wanted you to authorize me to conduct the war as I see proper and in your name.

Bush: Sure anything you want Uncle Donnie, you know I have trusted you ever since you and dad kept me out of trouble that time.

Rumsfeld: George (very harsh parental tone) what have I told you about never mentioning that.

Bush: Sorry Uncle Donnie. I will sign that authorization for you.

Rumsfeld: Thank you Mr. President, here you go, I already had it drawb up this morning.

Bush: What would I do without you and Mr. Cheney uncle Donald

wazu
05-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Logical -

Did you used to be a Bush supporter/voter? If so, did something dramatically change your mind?

Just asking, not accusing. I have two kids now and haven't been taking in enough Planet material over the past couple of years. Reading the D.C. forum today is an entirely different experience than 2 years ago.

Logical
05-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Logical -

Did you used to be a Bush supporter/voter? If so, did something dramatically change your mind?

Just asking, not accusing. I have two kids now and haven't been taking in enough Planet material over the past couple of years. Reading the D.C. forum today is an entirely different experience than 2 years ago.Yes I used to be, it was nothing dramatic. It was the constant lack of direction and the mishandling of the occcupation (should not have even been an option). I still have problems with the Democrats that keep getting nominated. It seems we are doomed to pathetic options.

wazu
05-26-2006, 09:52 PM
It seems we are doomed to pathetic options.

I agree with that statement. It continually blows my mind that I can look around anywhere in my community and see better leaders than the jackassery that the main two parties produce as presidential candidates. The Republicans have some good potential prospects for '08, but I'm sure they'll find a way to screw it all to hell and nominate Jeb.

Hydrae
05-26-2006, 09:54 PM
All I know is that if it comes down to the choice of Clinton or Bush yet again, I give up.

unlurking
05-26-2006, 10:34 PM
All I know is that if it comes down to the choice of Clinton or Bush yet again, I give up.

Viva La Revolution!

Count Zarth
05-26-2006, 10:37 PM
There is no way Bush is that dumb.

Logical
05-26-2006, 11:01 PM
There is no way Bush is that dumb.Ya think?

Ugly Duck
05-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Whoa! Logical got ahold of a transcript from a White House tape! You'd think they'da learned from the Nixon scandal that those WH tapes can come back to bite ya! Those guyzr dumber than I thought.....

memyselfI
05-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Ya think?

Well, I wouldn't be so quick to discount DUHbya's involvement when it comes to Iraq. He SURROUNDED himself with signators of the PNAC prinicples and goals. To do so means he had signed on with a certain mindset that would ENABLE such principles and goals. Now whether he was in charge of the daily operations is another matter. But he is ultimately the one who listened to Cheney, Rumsfeld, Jeb, Wolfowitz, Abrams, ad nausuem. They have had this agenda set in motion since 1998. He made it happen.

As far as Logical, I think his epiphany happened when it was crystal clear there were no WMDs and then he started digging deeper and listening to other information besides the propaganda and saw how quickly the WH/DUHbya's case for war would unravel. :clap:

Ugly Duck
05-27-2006, 07:43 AM
As far as Logical, I think his ephiphany happened when it was crystal clear there were no WMDs and then he started digging deeper and listening to other information besides the propaganda and saw how quickly the WH/DUHbya's case for war would unravel. :clap:His is not an isolated case.... just look at the poll numbers - from 90% down to 30%. A plethera of epiphanies.

Lake
05-27-2006, 09:09 AM
I do feel that for whatever reason Bush does delegates too much of the decision making to those who answer to him. Many of these people in his administration worked for his father and others who were Republican Presidents. I think that he takes all of the responsibility when it comes time to pay the piper. This is one of those positions that either you micromanage or make damn sure that you trust and are willing to take the fall when it goes south if those who work for you muck things up. A great example is what happened to Grant when he was in the White House.

penchief
05-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Reading the D.C. forum today is an entirely different experience than 2 years ago.

The "events on the ground" have dictated the changing DC fourm experience more than anything else, IMO.

I joke about people "waking up" all the time but I'd attribute the change to just that.

Ultra Peanut
05-28-2006, 01:50 PM
HE IS THE DECIDER