View Full Version : Royals offer Dayton Moore GM job

tk13
05-26-2006, 11:26 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal....

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5643184?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

Braves' Moore considering Royals' GM offer
Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
Posted: 55 minutes ago

Braves assistant general manager Dayton Moore is considering an offer to become the Royals' next GM, FOXSports.com has learned.

The offer is believed to be for five years. The deadline for Moore to accept the Royals' proposal is not known.
The Royals, a major-league worst 10-35 and losers of 13 straight games entering Friday's play, have yet to dismiss their current GM, Allard Baird.

Owner David Glass, however, first raised the possibility of significant changes on May 4. In repeated public comments, he has not backed off that stance.

It is not known whether the Royals have interviewed others for their GM position. Major League Baseball requires clubs to interview qualified minority candidates for top front-office jobs.

Moore, 39, is considered a rising star in the industry. He interviewed for the Red Sox GM vacancy last off-season before Theo Epstein reclaimed his position.

The hiring of Moore, should it occur within the next several days, would come as teams are completing their plans for the amateur draft on June 6 and 7. The Royals hold the No. 1 pick.

Some in baseball expected the Royals to delay making a change until after the draft. But Moore, who oversees the Braves' scouting and player development, has been intimately involved in draft preparations, and could make a relatively smooth transition. He previously worked with Royals scouting director Deric Ladnier in the Braves' organization.

petegz28
05-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Be nice if we got him

Ari Chi3fs
05-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Then when Schuerholz retires, offer him President of Baseball operations and a percentage of ownership of the Royals to help right the ship.

Sure-Oz
05-27-2006, 02:22 AM
I think this would be one of the better moves the team will make if it goes down....i am sure most if not all control will go to him, i don't see any other way of it working.

keg in kc
05-27-2006, 02:24 AM
At least he's considering it. Better than the last rumored pair of candidates. Maybe they finally got wise and agreed to keep their grubby paws out of baseball affairs.

tk13
05-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Yep, as expected... control of baseball operations could be the deal breaker.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14679546.htm

Royals’ GM offer on table
Braves assistant Moore is considering job but wants total control of personnel

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

NEW YORK — The Royals have offered the job of general manager to Braves assistant Dayton Moore but are ready to move on to other candidates if the two sides can’t reach agreement by this weekend.

The only major hang-up to an agreement, multiple sources have told The Star, is Moore’s demand that he receive written assurance of complete control over personnel matters from club owner David Glass.

If that proves to be a deal-breaker, the Royals appear ready to move into negotiations with former Phillies general manager Ed Wade and/or former Tigers and Padres general manager Randy Smith.

Neither Glass nor Moore could be reached for comment.

The negotiations have been ongoing even as Allard Baird continues to serve as the club’s general manager.

Moore, 39, is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Braves’ scouting and player development in his role as the assistant general manager for baseball operations.

Sources say Moore is clearly the Royals’ top preference.

The two sides have been trying to work out the final details of an agreement for the last few days.

Moore is a native of Wichita who joined the Braves in 1994 as a scout. He later served as an assistant director of scouting, assistant director of player development and director of international scouting before his promotion in 2002 to director of player personnel development.

Moore moved to his current post in August 2005.

Wade, 50, served as the Phillies’ general manager during 1998-2005. He currently works as a minor-league scout for the Padres.

Smith, 42, was the Padres’ general manager during 1993-95 and the Tigers’ general manager during 1996-2002. He currently serves as the Padres’ director of professional and international scouting.

keg in kc
05-27-2006, 03:08 AM
Jesus H Christ, why are they so focused on retaining control? These are savvy businessmen; you'd think they of all people would recognize how inept they actually are in that regard.

Another stooge GM isn't going to fix anything. Because as much as I liked Baird, that's what he was.

KevB
05-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Jesus H Christ, why are they so focused on retaining control? These are savvy businessmen; you'd think they of all people would recognize how inept they actually are in that regard.

Another stooge GM isn't going to fix anything. Because as much as I liked Baird, that's what he was.

I don't understand how you can hand pick a guy from the Braves organization, who's been intricately involved in their player personnel, drafting and developing.....keeping in mind this is an organization that has won their division something like 16 straight years.....and not trust him with personnel decisions. As you said...do the Glass' honestly believe they have a better understanding of the game? What a couple of complete idiots if that's truly the case.

alnorth
05-27-2006, 09:55 AM
If this deal fails to happen because David Glass refuses to give total control, I will... well... *sigh* I wont stop going to games. I am a Royals fan, thats my cross to bear.

I will however go to fewer games. opening day, maybe 2 more to see the stadium and cheer for mustard, and thats it. Give me a reason to hope again. I KNOW we will suck next year and the year after, our minor league system pretty much guarantees it. However, if we have a smart man making our decisions, I will go watch a crappy team if I have a reason to believe we will improve.

FringeNC
05-27-2006, 10:13 AM
The player personnel issue shows that it's all about David and Dans' egoes. Why do they have to have any say? Obviously, GM candidates understand that they will be subjected to a severe payroll constraint with Royals. As long as the GM does not overspend, why in the **** would David and Dan care how it was spent? Again, it all comes back to their egos. They think they are baseball savvy, and obviously they are not.

David Glass seems like a real moron. It's amazing to me that he was a successful CEO.

CoMoChief
05-27-2006, 10:16 AM
I stopped going to games this season. Call me a bandwagon fan, call me what you will, I simply do not care at this point. If I'm gonna give money out of my own pocket to this shitbag of a baseball organization, then I expect them to win, or at least be somewhat competitive for the playoffs or something rather than being the laughing stock of professional sports. This team has been the shitpile of the league for at least a decade. As Jackson County voters we passed a bill that gave the stadiums renovations to keep the teams here. As sad as it is, I could really care less if the Royals moved at this point. They are that terrible and I want almost nothing to do with them. Would I miss baseball in KC? yes I would, baseball is my favorite sport besides football, but I'm tired of losing season after losing season after losing season after losing season, and the point to go to the ballpark is not to watch the other team (Yankees, BoSox, etc.).

keg in kc
05-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I quit going a long time ago. I think I went to one game last year, none the year before. I usually pay attention through June, but as bad as they are already, I don't even listen to the radio.

And I'm not a bandwagon fan, really. It's not like I go for another team. I just try to forget that baseball is going on at all. Avoiding the pain, so to speak. I'm not a big fan of suffering.

WoodDraw
05-27-2006, 10:55 AM
It would be a great hire if it happens. Moore is seen as one of the best future GMs in baseball. He was offered the Red Sox job and turned it down, and has been rumored for DC. Getting him to come to KC would be huge. Glass would have to give over control and likely promise to increase payroll to get him which makes it worth it right there.

Ari Chi3fs
05-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I bet Dan Glass is crying for control... not David. If I was David, I would tell Dan to STFU & STFD.

cmh6476
05-27-2006, 12:01 PM
as john lennon would say, let it be.

Sure-Oz
05-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Dude, if Glass doesn't hire him cause of the total control, shows he isn't serious about getting the royals better!

keg in kc
05-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I bet Dan Glass is crying for control... not David.I'd agree with you.

Although the difference is minor. The team's pretty much Dan's. And will be 'officially' eventually.