PDA

View Full Version : Iraq takes sides with Iran against the US

Ugly Duck
05-27-2006, 02:03 AM
This is what we are paying and dying for - a Shiite theocracy aligned with Iran:

Iraqi minister defends Iranian nuclear program

'Every country has right' to nuclear technology, Zebari says

Friday, May 26, 2006; Posted: 6:56 p.m. EDT (22:56 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iran has a right to develop nuclear technology and the international community should drop its demands that Tehran prove it's not trying to build a nuclear weapon, Iraq's foreign minister said Friday.

"Iran doesn't claim that they want to obtain a nuclear weapon or a nuclear bomb, so there is no need that we ask them for any guarantee now," Hoshyar Zebari said after meeting with his Iranian counterpart, Manouchehr Mottaki.

Iran's nuclear ambitions are "an international issue," Zebari said. "In our beliefs, it is a matter of principle. Every country has the right to have its nuclear technology, every country like the Islamic Republic or any other country, since it is for peaceful purposes."

Zebari did say that Iran's nuclear program must be monitored by the U.N. nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

He also called for a diplomatic solution to the standoff between Iran and the West.

"We have agreement that we need to deal with this issue politically, peacefully and diplomatically," Zebari said. "We know that the wise Iranian administration will be able to resolve this issue."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/05/26/iraq.iran/index.html

memyselfI
05-27-2006, 06:54 AM
ROFL

Ain't democracy grand? ROFL

Ugly Duck
05-27-2006, 09:00 AM
ROFL

Ain't democracy grand? ROFLMethinks me protesteth too much.... this "democracy" that were building won't have much consequence. Its mainly for internal consumption here at home. We spend a lotta time telling Iraqi politicians to write up constitutions and other documents in their little green zones. But outside in the real Iraq the three sides are positioning themselves for conflict as soon as we remove our forces. Kurds are moving to the oil-rich areas of Kirkuk to claim residency and domain. Shiite government forces are kidnapping Sunnis in the dead of night and torturing them before they are beheaded or shot in the brain with their hands tied behind their backs. Sunnis are planting car bombs. Iraqis are manuevering for battle over the oil before they split up into three zones. Our legacy will not be the Golden Beacon of Democracy of neocon lexicon. The fruit of our labor is that we are strengthening the Shia faction, giving them the upper hand in the upcoming Iraqi Civil War for Oil, and creating a strong ally for Iran.

unlurking
05-27-2006, 09:14 AM
While I seriously doubt the Iraq war will end well for the ME or us, and Iran pisses me off, I don't see this as Iraq siding against the US with Iran.

Iraq still thinks Iran should be monitored by the IAEA, which Iran disagrees with. This looks to me, like a country stuck between a rock and a hard place. They really don't want to piss off their next door neighbor, or they are likely to come under fire from them once the US leaves.

To me, this is just a carefully worded statement that tried to remain as neutral as possible.

Ugly Duck
05-27-2006, 09:26 AM
To me, this is just a carefully worded statement that tried to remain as neutral as possible.We say Iran is building a bomb.

Iran sez its nuclear ambitions are a peaceful enterprise.

Iraq sez Iran's nuclear ambitions are a peaceful enterprise.

I guess thats could be seen as neutral in an "all men are created equal, but some are more equal than others" kinda way.

stevieray
05-27-2006, 09:34 AM
ROFL

Ain't democracy grand? ROFL

it gives you the abiltiy to post oopsie threads.

unlurking
05-27-2006, 09:45 AM
We say Iran is building a bomb.

Iran sez its nuclear ambitions are a peaceful enterprise.

Iraq sez Iran's nuclear ambitions are a peaceful enterprise.

I guess thats could be seen as neutral in an "all men are created equal, but some are more equal than others" kinda way.
Or a "we don't trust what the US says about WMDs" kind of way. Did you miss the point that Iraq stated that Iran should be monitored by the IAEA?

Lake
05-27-2006, 10:16 AM
I wonder if one of the many reasons that we are really in Iraq is because of something like this happening. I have to question if there was a fear by our government and a couple others that Iran and many of these Muslim Countries would realign and form another Ottoman Empire only crazier and more powerful with many more people and states. If these people use the democratic process to pick religious leaders to govern them can we still call it a democracy?

patteeu
05-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't see this as Iraq siding against the US with Iran.

Iraq still thinks Iran should be monitored by the IAEA, which Iran disagrees with. This looks to me, like a country stuck between a rock and a hard place. They really don't want to piss off their next door neighbor, or they are likely to come under fire from them once the US leaves.

To me, this is just a carefully worded statement that tried to remain as neutral as possible.

I agree.

unlurking
05-27-2006, 10:52 AM
I wonder if one of the many reasons that we are really in Iraq is because of something like this happening. I have to question if there was a fear by our government and a couple others that Iran and many of these Muslim Countries would realign and form another Ottoman Empire only crazier and more powerful with many more people and states. If these people use the democratic process to pick religious leaders to govern them can we still call it a democracy?
There has definitely been a lot written about the theory that a destabilized ME is easier to control. Then again, this has been a staple of foreign politics for centuries. You have only to look at Iraq to see this. 3 different cultures thrown together under one flag by the British. While the people fight each other, it is difficult to come together and mount an uprising for independence.

For the US, I think it is more along the lines of not wanting to be held hostage by a single entity setting oil prices.

CHIEF4EVER
05-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Iraq takes sides with Iran against the US = bumper sticker rhetoric.

wazu
05-27-2006, 11:36 AM
The fruit of our labor is that we are strengthening the Shia faction, giving them the upper hand in the upcoming Iraqi Civil War for Oil, and creating a strong ally for Iran.

All that's left is to give Iraq some WMDs and goad them into attacking Iran.

unlurking
05-27-2006, 12:19 PM
All that's left is to give Iraq some WMDs and goad them into attacking Iran.
Sadly enough, that was more likely to happen under Saddam.

penchief
05-27-2006, 03:27 PM
it gives you the abiltiy to post oopsie threads.

Too bad the Bush Administration doesn't share your tolerance of free speech.

Loki
05-28-2006, 02:03 AM
"Iran doesn't claim that they want to obtain a nuclear weapon or a nuclear bomb, so there is no need that we ask them for any guarantee now," Hoshyar Zebari said after meeting with his Iranian counterpart, Manouchehr Mottaki.
i believe them...

Zebari did say that Iran's nuclear program must be monitored by the U.N. nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.
but it's all for energy purposes, so why bother keeping tabs on them?

Zebari said. "We know that the wise Iranian administration will be able to resolve this issue."
the wise iranian administration deals very well with israel...