PDA

View Full Version : The Confidence Argument

Oz_Chief
05-27-2006, 09:46 AM
The only I thing I enjoy about Royals baseball anymore is the opportunity to watch young players develop. However, the old lineup the Royals are bringing out every night is robbing me of even that.

Do you guys buy the argument that bringing up the young Royals might "ruin their confidence"? I understand that a ballplayer can learn at AAA but I just don't see the point of wheeling out the same old decrepit line up that will lead nowhere. Why not do something like this:

CF Robinson
2B Grudzielanek
1B Mientkiwiecz
RF Sanders
DH Huber
LF Brown
SS Blanco
C Buck
3B German

Next year: put German at 2B, Gordon at 3B, and buy the fastest young RF on the market.

I hope the new GM takes a direction like, say, speed and defense. I would like to see more speed like German and Robinson.

alnorth
05-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Next year, I want to see almost everyone from Omaha who has a future playing here. Let them suck, and suck bad. If I'm going to pay to watch a bad team, at least make them young kids so I can fool myself into thinking they will be good someday.

keg in kc
05-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I actually do think it can have a negative impact on confidence. I think players can become accustomed to losing, especially in the long, long baseball season. I'd rather younger players experience success together in Wichita or Omaha at this point than come to KC and get creamed night after night just because we want to rush them up.

Plus, you're wasting their service time.

Shootr
05-27-2006, 10:31 AM
I actually do think it can have a negative impact on confidence. I think players can become accustomed to losing, especially in the long, long baseball season. I'd rather younger players experience success together in Wichita or Omaha at this point than come to KC and get creamed night after night just because we want to rush them up.

Plus, you're wasting their service time.

I think the service time is a big part of it. Since the Royals only usually get to keep the good guys for so long, they need the most out of them when they are here. Keep them in the minors until they are good and ready.

SCTrojan
05-27-2006, 01:45 PM
The lineup is just a small part of the problem, IMO. Unless they get a pitcher or two who can go out every fourth or fifth day and shut a team down, no amount of young everyday talent is going to make them respectable, let alone competitive.

Moooo
05-27-2006, 01:58 PM
I was watching Baseball Tonight last night and the guy on there said it best... I don't remember verbatim, but it was something along the lines of, "The major league is not the place to work on technique, it is the place to take your technique and be consistent with it."

Let these guys work on being what they need to be in Omaha. Then, whenever their technique is good enough, bring em on up.

Moooo