PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Area Question

Archie F. Swin
05-27-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm about halfway through the Warren Commission report on the Kennedy Assassination and plan on a trip to Dallas soon to see some sights. 6th Floor Musieum is a given, but I was wondering if some of the Oak Cliff locations were safe to go to. I've never been to Oak Cliff and I dont want to drag my family there if its a ghetto or a high crime area. At the very least, I'd like to see the Texas Theatre on Jefferson. I would also consider the 10th and Patton area where Officer Tippit was slain. Any risk involved in wandering through Oak Cliff?

Earthling
05-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Archie, you may want to try the Coyboys site for that answer.

Shootr
05-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I lived down there for a year, and went to church in Oak Cliff, it is a pretty rough area. You may be uncomfortable there, it just depends on what you are used to.

jettio
05-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I find that even the roughest neighborhoods are safe if you go there at 2 am, wear a little bling and start asking for directions.

Archie F. Swin
05-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Archie, you may want to try the Coyboys site for that answer.
Theres a wealth of metroplex based Planeteers

geronimo
05-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Oak Cliff isn't that bad. I've lived in Dallas for a while and would not hesitate to take my family there. I believe there is some renovation in the area specifically, the theatre where oswald was arrested which I believe is located on Jefferson Blvd. I don't know any specifics on the 10th & Patton location but generally speaking the area is mostly residential occupied by low to moderate income folks -- mostly hispanic/mexican. Not the hot bed of criminal activity suggested by the query. fyi, there is a guy who does a kennedy tour with a convertible lincoln (kinda like the one he was riding in). I've never done it but friends who have say its alotta fun. I think he goes to Oak Cliff, Parkland Hospital, Love Field, Old Municipal building, Of course grassy knoll and the like. Hope you enjoy the city.

Mile High Mania
05-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I know that they have cleaned up some of the areas, but I can't speak specifically to where you have asked.

I would hazard a guess that it's rough.