PDA

View Full Version : Will Svitek, World Bowl Game

Wilson8
05-27-2006, 06:07 PM
He played against 3 different defensive ends today. All of them with pretty good size. Earl Cochran, Alabama State, #99, played the most at the right DE. He is 6’5” and 285 lbs. Darrell Lee, #98, also alternated in. He is 6’4” and 273 lbs and played for Florida and is in the Eagles organization. Claude Harriott, Pittsburgh, #90, alternated over from the left side occasionally. He is 6’3” and 271 lbs. If you look at the combined tackles of these three, 13, you would think that Will Svitek got owned. Far from that, Svitek pretty much controlled his man and their tackles came when Svitek was blocking/responsible for other defenders.

Bad plays by Svitek today –

In the 1st quarter he was responsible for blocking LB, #44 Derrick Ballard. Ballard was quicker than Svitek and he beat him to the line to stop Frankfurt’s back Roger Robinson for a 1 yard gain. Ballard is only about 215 lbs so I think Svitek got beat by the faster, quicker player.

In the 3rd quarter Svitek was blocking Claude Harriott. Will blocked him for a few seconds but when the QB Jeff Otis started to scramble, Harriott caught the QB for a 3 yard loss. The stadium was loud and there were lots of whistles being blown by the fans. This could have resulted in Svitek stopping his block early. He was out on the left side with his back turned to the QB and might not have known that the play was still going on.

In the 4th quarter Svitek had a false start with 7 minutes left to play in the game. This was a time when Frankfurt was trying to finish off Amsterdam, so it could have been a critical penalty. They ended up having to settle for a field goal on that drive.

The only other problem that Will had was, sometimes going down field to get blocks he looks like he is searching with no one to block. He also had to pull up on some blocks because the defender was running and Will could only block them from the back. Actually good that he doesn’t create a penalty by doing that.

Svitek’s team rushed for 269 yards but had only 75 yards passing. The field was wet and slippery and Frankfurt got into the World Bowl by rushing the ball and playing good defense. They decided to pound Amsterdam with a running attack that finally wore Amsterdam down and resulted in a 22 – 7 victory for Frankfurt.

My final note on Svitek in Europe. –

Will played in 11 NFL Europe games. He always played left tackle and was only out for a few plays the entire season. He is NOT ready to take over for Willie Roaf, but he received some valuable playing experience and he looks like he has the “Right Stuff” to build with. Except for his NFLE preseason ankle sprain, he has remained pretty healthy. The reason I was so interested in his play this year was because the Chiefs need for someone to play left tackle if Willie Roaf has to sit out some time this year. I think Svitek can protect Trent Green in passing situations. I think he will get better with his downfield blocking with coaching and experience. Will Svitek adds to the Kansas City Chiefs offensive line strength.

Monkeylook4food
05-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Outstanding analysis. I tried to post the same thing but it was only in 25 words or thereabouts. You really kept a close eye on him today.

Wilson8
05-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks. I checked something else -

It was a knee not the ankle that got hurt –

From March 6th Postcards from NFL Europe entry - http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/03/07/postcards_from_nfl_europe6/
“This last week of training camp went kind of slow for me. I guess the major reason for the long week was that I sprained my knee last Saturday in a scrimmage and I haven’t been able to practice. During one of the plays another guy kind of rolled onto my knee awkwardly. I knew I tweaked it a little, but I didn’t think it was too bad. I actually finished the practice, but it got sore towards the end.
I had it looked at and they did some tests including an MRI. The results were negative thankfully. The coaches and the trainers want to be really cautious with me, so they gave me the week off to allow my knee to recover and let the swelling go down. Now my knee feels great though and I’ll be able to start practicing once we get to Germany. Everyone here has said that the bigger picture is just for me to be ready for the 10 regular season games and be healthy for when I return to Kansas City. So that’s the goal.”

Wilson8
05-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Justin Perkins was pretty much a non-factor in today’s game. Frankfurt ran the ball so much that there was not much important cornerback action. Watching him try to come up and bump the receiver was pretty painful though. He is not physical enough and it usually resulted in the receiver gaining the advantage and beating him downfield.

ct
06-01-2006, 04:50 PM
football threads get a bump

FAX
06-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Helping Mr. coryt with his valiant effort to save the Planet.

FAX

ct
06-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks FAX!! One man's protest don't go far.

Ultra Peanut
06-01-2006, 05:04 PM
In the 1st quarter he was responsible for blocking LB, #44 Derrick Ballard. Ballard was quicker than Svitek and he beat him to the line to stop Frankfurt’s back Roger Robinson for a 1 yard gain. Ballard is only about 215 lbs so I think Svitek got beat by the faster, quicker player.:)

Chiefaholic
06-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Hopefully he's the solution to the eventual loss of Roaf. Now, who's going to take over for Shields?

BigChiefFan
06-01-2006, 06:04 PM
I'm glad Svitek is improving, but I'm still not sold on him being the future for us at LT.