PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call - Stand up and be counted

Logical
05-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Just to try and get an idea of how many posters and lurkers we have here in DC.

BucEyedPea
05-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Here. :p

Logical
05-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Here. :pCool now vote.:harumph:

BucEyedPea
05-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Oh! Gosh...I didn't even see the poll.

Question: How come I can't see who voted if its a public poll? Just curious.

Logical
05-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Oh! Gosh...I didn't even see the poll.

Question: How come I can't see who voted if its a public poll? Just curious.If you click on the underline voting count all the voters for each option are shown on a separate page.

Logical
05-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Dammit jAZ you got me.ROFL

Adept Havelock
05-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Stand up and be counted? I'm a bit shikker at the moment...can I just lounge about and be counted?

jAZ
05-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Dammit jAZ you got me.ROFL
I think there are quite a few people around here that would consider what I do here more "hating America" than either "posting" or "lurking".

Lake
05-27-2006, 11:15 PM
This is just like the last few Presidential Elections that we have had in the U.S. It was hard to pick what to vote for. I did not feel like I was properly represented or comfortable. I post and lurk. Maybe if we were to stop questioning America's Greatest President we would not be "hating America".

Logical
05-27-2006, 11:58 PM
...Maybe if we were to stop questioning America's Greatest President we would not be "hating America".What a great line.ROFL

p.s. I don't know you well enough to know whether you are being serious or sarcastic about Bush. That is what is great about the line either side can use it.

Of course jAZ gets partial credit, but since he neither lurks or posts he will never know it.

Lake
05-28-2006, 12:12 AM
I do not think that he is doing a good job. I have held this opinion for some time now. It is just too much of a fad to bash him. I am only half kidding about him. I try to stay in the middle when it comes to him. It is not easy though.

Logical
05-28-2006, 12:34 AM
ROFL

Someone unregistered voted as someone who posts. Now that is a good trick.

Sully
05-28-2006, 07:38 AM
I post when I can, but typically leave it up to you folks to educate me.

banyon
05-28-2006, 08:54 AM
FAX lurks here?

Why won't he bless DC with his unique homespun wisdom?

penchief
05-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I don't start many threads but I lurk until I can't bite my tongue anymore, then I post.

FAX
05-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Just to be clear, Mr. Logical. I've posted here only a few times. Less than 5, I'm sure.

There wasn't an option for that, so I selected "Lurk" because that's mainly what I do.

FAX

Logical
05-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Just to be clear, Mr. Logical. I've posted here only a few times. Less than 5, I'm sure.

There wasn't an option for that, so I selected "Lurk" because that's mainly what I do.

FAXThat is cool, but we would welcome your addition. Hopefully you will decide to participate more in the future.

FAX
05-28-2006, 09:59 PM
That is cool, but we would welcome your addition. Hopefully you will decide to participate more in the future.

I would love to, Mr. Logical, if everyone would agree in advance to agree with me in advance.

Seriously, the subject matter is of great interest to me. However, it's very frustrating to read some of the things posted here. I have yet to see anyone actually change their mind on a position. Perhaps it's occurred, but I haven't seen it.

This forum is sort of like a camp for mind control trainees.

FAX

Earthling
05-28-2006, 10:01 PM
I lurk a lot and post occasionally.

Logical
05-28-2006, 10:09 PM
I would love to, Mr. Logical, if everyone would agree in advance to agree with me in advance.

Seriously, the subject matter is of great interest to me. However, it's very frustrating to read some of the things posted here. I have yet to see anyone actually change their mind on a position. Perhaps it's occurred, but I haven't seen it.

This forum is sort of like a camp for mind control trainees.

FAXI can only account for myself, but I have had my mind changed. I will not say anyone person or that just this forum brought it about but it certainly contributed. I do understand that some people do not enjoy the thrill of debate, let alone the harshness that can accompany a tough argument. This is not the place to be posting if you don't enjoy that sort of thing. Your lurking is still cool. Out of curiousity how would you describe your political leanings, if you don't mind saying.

Logical
05-28-2006, 10:10 PM
I lurk a lot and post occasionally.:clap:

I do welcome your occasional contribution. Sometimes you appear a bit strident, but don't we all on the occasional issue.

Earthling
05-28-2006, 10:15 PM
:clap:

I do welcome your occasional contribution. Sometimes you appear a bit strident, but don't we all on the occasional issue.

:toast:

FAX
05-28-2006, 10:53 PM
I can only account for myself, but I have had my mind changed. I will not say anyone person or that just this forum brought it about but it certainly contributed. I do understand that some people do not enjoy the thrill of debate, let alone the harshness that can accompany a tough argument. This is not the place to be posting if you don't enjoy that sort of thing. Your lurking is still cool. Out of curiousity how would you describe your political leanings, if you don't mind saying.

I donít mind answering at all, Mr. Logical. I subscribe to the well-known statement attributed to Churchill (paraphrased), "If you're 20 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. And, if you're 40 and not a conservative, you don't have a head." Iím usually somewhere in the middle depending on the particular concern at hand.

Some people would call me a Libertarian. Others, on some issues, Liberal. If forced, I would probably describe myself as a "Seeking Conservative".

The confusion arises from the fact that, generally, I rely on pragmatism, practicality, and definition to guide me in my politics and I try to separate each issue from its nearest neighbor. That is, frankly, one of the problems I have with participating in the DC forum.

Oftentimes, differences of opinion here decay into arguments because terms are not always even very well defined and one subject weaves into another in a circular fashion. Concluding the general from the specific, for example, happens here a lot from what I can tell.

I have strong opinions on most of the subjects aired here, but I also strive to preserve the discipline of open mindedness when encountering alternate or opposing points of view. I expect the same from those with whom I have a serious conversation. What I have difficulty with is the name-calling and poorly thought out regurgitations of the kool aid flavor du jour. Not in all cases, mind you, but enough to make it difficult to conduct, what I would consider, a reasoned debate.

Common sense is a rare commodity these days. I try to keep my reservoir at a maximum. I donít see a lot of that here most days. Present company excluded, of course.

FAX

Logical
05-28-2006, 11:39 PM
I donít mind answering at all, Mr. Logical. I subscribe to the well-known statement attributed to Churchill (paraphrased), "If you're 20 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. And, if you're 40 and not a conservative, you don't have a head." Iím usually somewhere in the middle depending on the particular concern at hand.

Some people would call me a Libertarian. Others, on some issues, Liberal. If forced, I would probably describe myself as a "Seeking Conservative".

The confusion arises from the fact that, generally, I rely on pragmatism, practicality, and definition to guide me in my politics and I try to separate each issue from its nearest neighbor. That is, frankly, one of the problems I have with participating in the DC forum.

Oftentimes, differences of opinion here decay into arguments because terms are not always even very well defined and one subject weaves into another in a circular fashion. Concluding the general from the specific, for example, happens here a lot from what I can tell.

I have strong opinions on most of the subjects aired here, but I also strive to preserve the discipline of open mindedness when encountering alternate or opposing points of view. I expect the same from those with whom I have a serious conversation. What I have difficulty with is the name-calling and poorly thought out regurgitations of the kool aid flavor du jour. Not in all cases, mind you, but enough to make it difficult to conduct, what I would consider, a reasoned debate.

Common sense is a rare commodity these days. I try to keep my reservoir at a maximum. I donít see a lot of that here most days. Present company excluded, of course.

FAXWhat a well thought out response. Thanks for taking the time.:clap:

Taco John
05-29-2006, 02:35 AM
Bapu-bapu

BucEyedPea
05-29-2006, 07:44 PM
The confusion arises from the fact that, generally, I rely on pragmatism, practicality, and definition to guide me in my politics and I try to separate each issue from its nearest neighbor.

And I see that you use FAX too. :p

Logical
05-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Is this really all the posters and lurkers here in DC?

Taco John
05-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Dude, you started this over a holiday weekend...

Logical
05-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Dude, you started this over a holiday weekend...Good point, we will see what happens tomorrow.

NewChief
05-30-2006, 05:12 AM
I mainly lurk these days, but I post enough still to vote "I post."

Braincase
05-30-2006, 05:41 AM
Count me amongst those that read and occassionally post.

keg in kc
05-30-2006, 05:54 AM
I'm not very "political", but I'll occasionally drop over here when the main board isn't active.

Logical
05-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Count me amongst those that read and occassionally post.

We miss your perspective, hope you post more often in the future.

Logical
05-30-2006, 09:42 AM
I mainly lurk these days, but I post enough still to vote "I post."

You seem to have an open mind, so getting you involved more would be great.

Logical
05-30-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm not very "political", but I'll occasionally drop over here when the main board isn't active.

Dude you may be ugly but you bring some good shit when you do post.:D

Logical
05-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Just curious,

I made the third option as a joke.

No I neither post or lurk over here ROFL

Yet seven people have selected it, now either 7 people have a warped sense of humor (entirely possible) or they understood the option in some way I did not intend. Obviously if you neither posted or lurked here you would have never read the poll so the answer should have received 0 responses short of the warped sense of humor possibility.

So those seven, why did you select that option?

Dave Lane
05-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Just curious,

I made the third option as a joke.

No I neither post or lurk over here ROFL

Yet seven people have selected it, now either 7 people have a warped sense of humor (entirely possible) or they understood the option in some way I did not intend. Obviously if you neither posted or lurked here you would have never read the poll so the answer should have received 0 responses short of the warped sense of humor possibility.

So those seven, why did you select that option?

Maybe they just stop by every 30 days and almost never post. I know I go in spurts. When I had the flu for a week I posted here like a demon but normally I don't feel like getting a debate going unless I have the time to back up any rebuttals.

Dave

oldandslow
05-31-2006, 07:15 AM
I post...

although I often have to shower afterward... :)

HolyHandgernade
06-01-2006, 11:36 PM
More lurk than post.

-HH

ct
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
lurker, rare poster

Duck Dog
06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
I chose lurker because I lurk way more than I post.