PDA

View Full Version : Good JoPo article

Oz_Chief
05-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Can the League office really step in if an organization is run ineptly?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14684727.htm

Buster's Dad
05-27-2006, 09:22 PM

Didn't the league step in and remove Marge Schott as owner of the reds? the Glasses should be next

BigRock
05-27-2006, 09:38 PM
:thumb: :bravo:

Unfortunately, all the great stuff JoPo says about this guy makes me really doubt he'd come here.

Logical
05-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Didn't the league step in and remove Marge Schott as owner of the reds? the Glasses should be nextNot exactly, she was prevented from particpating in baseball operations, they could not take away her ownership. I believe she did sell them though, not really sure.

Logical
05-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I exchanged e-mails with six baseball executives on Saturday, and while all asked not to be identified, all were wildly impressed with Moore. As one of them wrote: "There are certain people who have IT. I knew Dayton had IT two minutes after meeting him."
We will see if he has IT or not. If he takes then job with to Royals the he does not have IT.

You have to know your limitations to have IT and no one can overcome the limitations the Royals provide as a Baseball operation in the current MLB structure.

J Diddy
05-27-2006, 09:59 PM
We will see if he has IT or not. If he takes then job with to Royals the he does not have IT.

You have to know your limitations to have IT and no one can overcome the limitations the Royals provide as a Baseball operation in the current MLB structure..

I don't know. If they let him run it then they can succeed.

Having a bunch of jackass millionaires who know nothing about the sport and trying to have control is moronic at best.

As far as having it here's the question.

How do you cement a legacy:

By taking a job nobody wants and turning it into a job everybody wants.

Skip Towne
05-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Glass is a fool. A very rich fool but still a fool. He thinks he can run an MLB franchise like a Wal-Mart. He'd be paying players the minimum wage if he could. He's more like Jack Steadman than Steadman was.

Jayhawkerman2001
05-27-2006, 10:07 PM
I would think that they would have to do something... If they want the MLB to seem like a more competitive league then they'd have to do something, because the glasses just dont have the baseball know-how to get anything done with this team. Id say we keep baird and have him run baseball operations for the team fully. I think its just the glasses getting into his business telling him what to do too often.

DaneMcCloud
05-27-2006, 10:19 PM
I would think that they would have to do something... If they want the MLB to seem like a more competitive league then they'd have to do something, because the glasses just dont have the baseball know-how to get anything done with this team. Id say we keep baird and have him run baseball operations for the team fully. I think its just the glasses getting into his business telling him what to do too often.

What, are you related to Baird? That's the most idiotic comment I've read regarding the Royals. Baird has done NOTHING but fail with personnel choices. The Royals consistently pick in the top 5 yet there have been no superstars drafted with the 1st round pick. His choice of free agents have been dreadful and the trades are an utter disgrace.

But I guess that's all Glass family's fault? :shake:

Jayhawkerman2001
05-27-2006, 10:21 PM
What, are you related to Baird? That's the most idiotic comment I've read regarding the Royals. Baird has done NOTHING but fail with personnel choices. The Royals consistently pick in the top 5 yet there have been no superstars drafted with the 1st round pick. His choice of free agents have been dreadful and the trades are an utter disgrace.

Actually yes. The glasses meddle in what baird does in so many ways. Did you not read the article? it only backs up my theory about what they do to baird. Im just saying, give him a chance, see what he can do with all power to himself. He knows baseball very well, and hes very passionate about the royals.

VonneMarie
05-27-2006, 10:24 PM
What will it take for the league to step in? You can't get much worse!

ChiefaRoo
05-27-2006, 10:44 PM

BRAV - F****NG - O!

Now in the name of George Brett, Willie Wilson and Dennis Leonard let there be light!

Logical
05-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Didn't the league step in and remove Marge Schott as owner of the reds? the Glasses should be nextOh by the way you can forget about even a Marge Schott like occurrence, she was suspended from participation in the management of the team because of her racist statement and a few other incident embarrasing to MLB not because of the way the club was performing on the field.

Sure-Oz
05-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Dayton Moore is a must, the more I read the more I like about the guy and yes he must have all the control, if Glass cares about this team he will do it, if not, well the Royals will be where they are now for the next several years.

tk13
05-27-2006, 11:35 PM

Actually, I think we've done pretty good in the draft. Our first round picks the last 5 or so years are Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, JP Howell, Chris Lubanski, Greinke. That's pretty solid, better than a lot of teams... the baseball draft is a total crapshoot. All 5 of those guys will be major league players I think. Gordon and Butler have a chance to be superstars.

And the other part was Posnanski's point... there has been speculation for years that Baird has been hamstrung with those "bad trades" you talk about. He has had trades vetoed, altered, etc. The only publicly known about one was that he had Joe Randa traded for prospects and Glass vetoed it because Randa's such a fan favorite. Rumor has it he had a good deal for Sweeney lined up and Glass axed it too, among others. There have been rumors for years that there are several moves Baird has been overruled on. Posnanski is the first big columnist to really come out and say that publicly though.

Ari Chi3fs
05-28-2006, 12:17 AM
I read this article... got a glimmer of hope... then I farted... it smelled really bad... then my hope vanished.

VonneMarie
05-28-2006, 12:27 AM
He's a Kansas native. Even better. He turned down Boston last year because he didn't want his family there.

I'm liking Moore, more and more now. :)

alanm
05-28-2006, 12:52 AM
I don't see it happening because Glass would, in essence, have to fire his son as well.
I wish Warren Buffet or someone in the region would step in and offer to buy the Royals. Buffet owns half of the Omaha Royals but I doubt he even knows what goes on with that club from week to week. :)

keg in kc
05-28-2006, 01:34 AM
Poingnant article.

petegz28
05-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Put it this way..if we find out Moore doesn't come here cause of the Glass Family Ego then the Glass's may as just well sell the team and get out of KC cause everyone left still watching the Royals will not be.

banyon
05-28-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't see it happening because Glass would, in essence, have to fire his son as well.
I wish Warren Buffet or someone in the region would step in and offer to buy the Royals. Buffet owns half of the Omaha Royals but I doubt he even knows what goes on with that club from week to week. :)

We need to "promote" Dan Glass to run the financial operations of the team only, In other words, Jack Steadman-ize him.

My unrealistic ideal scenario is that we should all get a petition signed at the K appealing to Mark Cuban to buy the team.

FringeNC
05-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Actually, I think we've done pretty good in the draft. Our first round picks the last 5 or so years are Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, JP Howell, Chris Lubanski, Greinke. That's pretty solid, better than a lot of teams... the baseball draft is a total crapshoot. All 5 of those guys will be major league players I think. Gordon and Butler have a chance to be superstars.

And the other part was Posnanski's point... there has been speculation for years that Baird has been hamstrung with those "bad trades" you talk about. He has had trades vetoed, altered, etc. The only publicly known about one was that he had Joe Randa traded for prospects and Glass vetoed it because Randa's such a fan favorite. Rumor has it he had a good deal for Sweeney lined up and Glass axed it too, among others. There have been rumors for years that there are several moves Baird has been overruled on. Posnanski is the first big columnist to really come out and say that publicly though.

The Royals farm system is consistently ranked as being about the worst in baseball. Who is responsible for that? One would presume it would be Baird, but in this dysfunctional organization, who the hell knows.

The more you rumors you hear about the Glasses (and Moore requiring written assurances seems to be a rather strong rumor), the more you realize that Baird had his hands tied by incompetents.

I think it's virtually impossible to grade Baird's performance because we do know if moves were his or Dan's.

I think JoPo is doing a public service here, and should be commended. I don't think he likes writing articles like this, and he's letting it be known to the Glassess that he will savage them in the press if they don't let the next GM do his job. Obviously, David and Dan Glass have huge egos, and those with huge egos tend to hate to hear bad things about themselves. And unlike Whitlock, JoPo has a repuation as a serious journalist, so when he calls them out, it makes them look like fools. JoPo may indirectly allow for Moore to take over the Royals.

StcChief
05-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Well here's hoping that Glass comes to his senses and gets Moore to run the Royals. And get's out to the way.

I like the idea of Warren Buffett but could Glass actually talk seriously about Royals and spending what it takes to compete in KC with him????

alanm
05-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Well here's hoping that Glass comes to his senses and gets Moore to run the Royals. And get's out to the way.

I like the idea of Warren Buffett but could Glass actually talk seriously about Royals and spending what it takes to compete in KC with him????
Actually, I just threw Buffett's name out there because he's rich. I went to grade school thru High school with one of his sons. He lives a few blks from my parents house and is one of the most frugal people you would ever meet. He actually mows his own lawn and shovels his sidewalks in the winter. He lives in a pretty nondescript brick house in the Dundee neighborhood in Omaha. And by driving by you'd never know the 2nd richest man in America lives there. :shake:

Demonpenz
05-28-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't understand why we got rid of randa. We still haven't had someone replace him

Sure-Oz
05-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Taken off ESPN.COM boards...MOORE UPDATE

According to Nate Bukaty on the pre-game show today, his "sources" told him that the deal with Moore was "close" and that Baird would not do his usual Sunday chat with Ryan on the pre-game show.

Baird DID in fact do the interview with Ryan. At the end, Ryan said something to the effect: "it was sure a pleasure working with you...on this interview"...kind of catching himself at the end.

VonneMarie
05-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Taken off ESPN.COM boards...MOORE UPDATE

According to Nate Bukaty on the pre-game show today, his "sources" told him that the deal with Moore was "close" and that Baird would not do his usual Sunday chat with Ryan on the pre-game show.

Baird DID in fact do the interview with Ryan. At the end, Ryan said something to the effect: "it was sure a pleasure working with you...on this interview"...kind of catching himself at the end.
If they're "close" Moore must be getting total control.