PDA

View Full Version : Big opening for X3

keg in kc
05-28-2006, 04:00 PM
"X-Men" Makes A Shitload! (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060529b.php)

Posted: Monday May 29th, 2006 12:05am
Source: Assorted Sources
Author: Garth Franklin

Move over Da Vinci and get set for an "X-Men 4" sooner rather than later it seems as Memorial Day now looks like it'll be the new favourite weekend to open films. "X-Men: The Last Stand" opened on Friday to no new competition, average critical reviews, scathing attacks from its comic book fan base, and one of the more widespread yet relatively subdued marketing campaigns for a blockbuster this month.

The results however paid off... big time. On its first day the third "X-Men" film garnered a jaw-dropping $44.1 million, the second biggest opening day for any film of all time, behind only last year's "Star Wars: Episode III" ($50.0m), and the third highest single day take (behind SW3 and Shrek 2) ever. The amount sits well above the opening day of "X2" ($31.2m) and is more than half again what "The Da Vinci Code" took on its opening day ($28.6m).

The super jump though wasn't going to last, on Saturday the film dropped 30% (every other film in the Top Ten gained 20-40%), but nevertheless still managed a massive $31.8 million. All up the movie looks set to earn just over $100 million for the standard three day weekend and around or over $120 million for the four day holiday. Without question it will be the biggest opening for a Memorial Day weekend ever (thrashing "The Lost World" with $90M for the four days), and its three day total will fit it at around the fifth highest opening weekend of all time position, right next to the last two "Harry Potter" movies.

This opening smash has sent some shock waves throughout the industry in more ways than one. Whilst industry buzz for 'The Last Stand' was mixed and surprisingly quiet, amongst the fan boy community there was a loud amount of negativity from hard core fans who loved the first two films and weren't happy with the way Fox was rushing the project and hired a new director to take over for geek favourite Bryan Singer.

Singer's defection from X3 to "Superman" lead many to speculate that X3 was rushed in order to beat "Superman" to the gate. The massive opening, and to a lesser extent the not too shabby reviews, must seem almost like a vilification for Fox chief Tom Rothman's decision to move ahead so fast. Rothman put the bottom dollar first over the wishes of the X-Men fans, and the results paid off big time for Fox in a big opening weekend at a time when the industry is more desperate than ever for them.

The downside though is a potentially quicker drop-off in repeat business due to the lack of that staple support. The big opening also goes to show that despite various comic book movies flopping lately, if there's a genuine big enough fan base there (ie. Batman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, etc.) then the money will come raking in no matter what the quality. It also will likely cause people to up their estimates on the opening of "Superman Returns" in June, despite mixed reaction to the trailers and somewhat negative buzz brewing in the industry to the Singer epic. That may change depending upon how the first screenings go in early June.

The weekend wasn't only ruled by the "X-Men". On the limited release front, the Al Gore global warming documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" garnered a staggering $65,000-per-screen opening day - easily the strongest average for a limited release opening this year.

hypersensitiveZO6
05-28-2006, 04:03 PM
i wouldn't have predicted that.

keg in kc
05-28-2006, 04:09 PM
There's virtually no competition for x3 (or davinci) in theaters until the end of the month, either.

The Break-Up with Aniston and Vaughn next weekend

The Omen remake on the 6th.

Cars on the 9th. (well, okay, that'll probably be pretty big)

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift and Nacho Libre on the 16th

Click on the 23rd.

Then Superman (finally) Returns on the 30th.

hypersensitiveZO6
05-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I excited with the upcoming movies, except the break up.

Moooo
05-28-2006, 04:12 PM
There's virtually no competition for x3 (or davinci) in theaters until the end of the month, either.

Cars on the 9th. (well, okay, that'll probably be pretty big)

I'd see it being HUGE, like not quite as big as Shrek 2, but big. It'll attract kids, the moms who go with them, and dads will like the car aspect. I could be wrong, but I forsee Cars being absolutely huge.

Moooo

keg in kc
05-28-2006, 04:14 PM
I'd see it being HUGE, like not quite as big as Shrek 2, but big. It'll attract kids, the moms who go with them, and dads will like the car aspect. I could be wrong, but I forsee Cars being absolutely huge.And as I was pointing out, there's nothing else to see, for two weeks on either side of it...

Moooo
05-28-2006, 04:16 PM
And as I was pointing out, there's nothing else to see, for two weeks on either side of it...

Nacho Libre will be the biggest movie ever...EVER!

Actually it looks too much like Napoleon Dynamite for me to be interested.

Moooo

keg in kc
05-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I could see myself seeing both nacho libre and the new fast and the furious (asian chicks /drool)

hypersensitiveZO6
05-28-2006, 06:28 PM
I could see myself seeing both nacho libre and the new fast and the furious (asian chicks /drool)

Yes, the asians are great/drool, but I've never been a big fan of the ricers in the movie.

KCChiefsMan
05-28-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm gonna go catch the 10:30 show tonight! been looking forward to it

Swanman
05-28-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm gonna go catch the 10:30 show tonight! been looking forward to it

I just saw it this morning and thought it was a very good movie. Overall a lot more happens in this movie than the other two. Plus, some great new characters are introduced into their respective roles in the Brotherhood and XMen (Juggernaut, Beast, Colossus, Iceman, Pyro, Angel, etc.). I just want Gambit to make his way into the movies.

Halfcan
05-28-2006, 11:42 PM
I get tired of paying movie prices to sit next to some dumbazz talking on his cel phone. I will wait until DVD, if I see it all.

Psyko Tek
05-28-2006, 11:47 PM
was very pleaseantly surprised

i was expecting crap

and it's comics books deaths and what not are very temporary

BigMeatballDave
05-28-2006, 11:49 PM
I saw it today. Pretty good.

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Cars, to me, seems wholly uninteresting. I know it's Pixar, but... meh.

Then again, I wasn't too amped up for The Incredibles at first, and it ended up as of my favorite movies ever.

KCChiefsMan
05-29-2006, 03:18 AM
I get tired of paying movie prices to sit next to some dumbazz talking on his cel phone. I will wait until DVD, if I see it all.

YES, through the whole entire movie these f*ckin guys sitting right behind us wouldn't shut the hell up, really hard to enjoy a movie with that. I don't understand how rude people are, they looked mid 30's, they were native american and kept kicking the back of my seat and what not...I held back fortunately, I didn't say what I usually would say or wanted to say, and everybody around us was also annoyed. I just hate people!!!!!

but I liked the movie, I just wish I could have enjoyed it

keg in kc
05-29-2006, 12:21 PM
107 million estimated.

Sheesh.

Rausch
05-29-2006, 12:32 PM
I've got a bad feeling it'll turn out like the Hulk movie did: great first week but then a huge drop off after that.

keg in kc
05-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't know. The Hulk only made 132 million in it's entire run. x3 should clear that next weekend. The Break-Up is the only new thing in theaters.

And x3 was in no way as bad as Hulk was. I love the character, but that movie was dull, meandering, ponderous shit. God I still wish they'd hit with that one. What a shame. Not as big a let down as Batman and Robin, but still. What it could've been.

keg in kc
05-29-2006, 01:14 PM
FWIW, Marvel is doing a sequel to Hulk. No idea on casting, but the baddie is gonna be Abomination.

Rausch
05-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't know. The Hulk only made 132 million in it's entire run. x3 should clear that next weekend. The Break-Up is the only new thing in theaters.

That's true, on top of the film's weak spots there were a ton of movies out at the same time.

And x3 was in no way as bad as Hulk was. I love the character, but that movie was dull, meandering, ponderous shit. God I still wish they'd hit with that one. What a shame. Not as big a let down as Batman and Robin, but still. What it could've been.

How Bana could be so bad in that flick and so good in almost everything else is beyond me.

And WTF do you film 15 seconds of desert moss (can there even be moss without humidity?) WHY?!!

keg in kc
05-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Holy crap.

X-Men 3 Debut Smashes Records (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=36341)

X-Men: The Last Stand topped the Memorial Day box office in its premiere, taking in about $120.1 million, the biggest opening ever for the holiday weekend, the Associated Press reported.

Preliminary estimates also gave the latest installment of the comic-book franchise the fourth-best three-day opening ever and the best single Friday in movie history, with a gross of $45.5 million, surpassing expectations and defying mixed reviews.

The film's box office was the second-biggest one-day gross ever after last year's Star Wars: Episode III.

Ultra Peanut
05-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Wow.

FAX
05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Just wanted to very quickly point out that it's not a good idea to think about desert moss too much.

FAX