PDA

View Full Version : Bonds passes Ruth...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-28-2006, 05:51 PM
If I ate sweets, I'd choose Bon Bons over a baby ruth...

ChiefsFire
05-28-2006, 05:53 PM
yea!!!!

hes still a douche

Reaper16
05-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Good.

chiefsfaninNC
05-28-2006, 06:13 PM
What is this country coming to? Someone should have killed the POS before it came to this.

Spicy McHaggis
05-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Bonds is what is wrong with baseball today. Actually Johnny Damon is too. **** both those mother****ers up their ****ing asses.

That felt good.

Logical
05-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Good, now for about 39 homeruns I hope we can quit hearing about him.

NJ Chief Fan
05-28-2006, 06:24 PM
715 is a ficticious number

Reaper16
05-28-2006, 06:43 PM
715 is a ficticious number
Every number from the 90's 'til now is ficticious. Baseball fans should accept that and move on, because debating the merits of any record now will always lead back to the era where nearly everyone was doing 'roids or equivalents thereof.

big nasty kcnut
05-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Barry bonds can suck a ugly guy ass.

alanm
05-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Every number from the 90's 'til now is ficticious. Baseball fans should accept that and move on, because debating the merits of any record now will always lead back to the era where nearly everyone was doing 'roids or equivalents thereof.
No one was doing roids untl probably the late 80's. The drug of choice til then was speed or cocaine and as always beer. :)

ENDelt260
05-28-2006, 06:55 PM
And amphetamines!

Thig Lyfe
05-28-2006, 06:57 PM
He should have stopped at #666.

Cuz he's the Devil and stuff.

Halfcan
05-28-2006, 07:08 PM
His numbers won't stand, Arod or Pujols will eventually pass him.

BWillie
05-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Is there anywhere that has a video posted of it yet? I wanna see it. Evidently it was a deep 445 foot shot to straight away center.

Already on ESPN..nevermind.

DonJaun
05-28-2006, 08:17 PM
All Bonds did was pass Ruth . Thats it! Ruth wasnt the Homerun King Anyway. But people were talking like Ruth was the end all be all of Homerun Hitters . No he was a distant Second. Now he is Third and there is nothing you can do about it but complain.

BWillie
05-28-2006, 08:29 PM
All Bonds did was pass Ruth . Thats it! Ruth wasnt the Homerun King Anyway. But people were talking like Ruth was the end all be all of Homerun Hitters . No he was a distant Second. Now he is Third and there is nothing you can do about it but complain.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. Actually, Hank Aaron never hit more than 46 home runs in a season I believe. That is not to say that Hank wasn't a home run hitter but he was not the home run hitter Barry, the Babe, or even AROD and Pujols are. How many at bats do you think it took Hank Aaron to achieve 755? He had four thousand more at bats than the Babe did. Instead of the total home runs, people really should look at home runs per at bat but it's just not a sexy number. Hank is #34 on this list. Hank Aaron was an iron man homerun hitter and managed to stay healthy. He played a long time and hit alot of home runs over an extended period of time. This is an amazing feat but I think the "homerun king" should be gauged on homeruns per at bat. Do you know who is the top 5 list? Active players do have an advantage because they obviously have not hit their most lackluster years yet but it's obvious Babe was a player, and so was Hammerin Hank in a somewhat different aspect.

1. Mark Mcwire
2. Babe Ruth
3. Barry Bonds
4. Jim Thome
5. Manny Ramirez

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Shut up, n00b.

mikey23545
05-28-2006, 10:04 PM
DonJaun = Angel Berroa
Skip Towne = Babe Ruth

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 10:27 PM
DonJaun = Angel Berroa
Skip Towne = Babe Ruth
Haha thanks

Psyko Tek
05-28-2006, 11:19 PM
1. Mark Mcwire
2. Babe Ruth
3. Barry Bonds
4. Jim Thome
5. Manny Ramirez

how many of these guys aon 'roids?

I'm thinking 2 and 3 weren't...

the rest weeeeeell

Halfcan
05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
You forget, when guys used to hit 40 HR's they WERE considered home run hitters. Nobody has ever hit 40 for the Royals. To say Hank was not a HR guy is laughable-especially since he spent several years in the Negro circuit. Hank was a great all around hitter-unlike Bonds who just swings for the fences every at bat.

BWillie
05-29-2006, 01:48 AM
You forget, when guys used to hit 40 HR's they WERE considered home run hitters. Nobody has ever hit 40 for the Royals. To say Hank was not a HR guy is laughable-especially since he spent several years in the Negro circuit. Hank was a great all around hitter-unlike Bonds who just swings for the fences every at bat.

I never said he wasn't a home run hitter. I was just putting it in perspective. What is really laughable is you say that Bonds isn't an all-around hitter. Barry Bonds..a career .301 hitter. Ya horrible hitter huh? Batted .370 one year. Yeah he sure does swing for the fences as you can see by his unbelieveable on base%, great eye, and amount of walks he has had. Know what is kind of funny? Barry Bonds CAREER on base percentage is .442 while Hanks is .374. Yeah, Barry must really not have any control and swing at the fences all the time.

Don't take this for me being a Barry Bonds fan, because I hate the guy. I hate how he cheated, I hate how everybody in the 90's cheated, but he is the best player of all time which could be because of the roids. 7 MVP's and 8 Gold Gloves don't lie...the shame is nobody will ever know what he would of been without them.

StcChief
05-29-2006, 07:54 AM
His numbers won't stand, Arod or Pujols will eventually pass him.
Would like to see Albert break this JackA33 single season 73 HR
this year...Unless he slows down, or they Walk him, Good chance.

banyon
05-29-2006, 09:32 AM
That's a pretty ignorant statement. Actually, Hank Aaron never hit more than 46 home runs in a season I believe. That is not to say that Hank wasn't a home run hitter but he was not the home run hitter Barry, the Babe, or even AROD and Pujols are. How many at bats do you think it took Hank Aaron to achieve 755? He had four thousand more at bats than the Babe did. Instead of the total home runs, people really should look at home runs per at bat but it's just not a sexy number. Hank is #34 on this list. Hank Aaron was an iron man homerun hitter and managed to stay healthy. He played a long time and hit alot of home runs over an extended period of time. This is an amazing feat but I think the "homerun king" should be gauged on homeruns per at bat. Do you know who is the top 5 list? Active players do have an advantage because they obviously have not hit their most lackluster years yet but it's obvious Babe was a player, and so was Hammerin Hank in a somewhat different aspect.

1. Mark Mcwire
2. Babe Ruth
3. Barry Bonds
4. Jim Thome
5. Manny Ramirez

:shake:

You can use that measurement, but players should be measured against the other players of their era. Home Run stats are inflated right now because of the steroid usage and expansion/dilution of pitching talent.

The Babe in 1920 Hit 54 Home Runs. That was more than any other team in the AL.

Basically I think that this period of baseball can be viewed as the "expansion/steroid era" Much like Ty Cobb played in the "Dead Ball era". Cobb probably would've hit 500 HR too if he hadn't been swatting at a bean bag.

Chan93lx50
05-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Congrats to the genetically altered freak!

Braincase
05-29-2006, 09:52 AM

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-29-2006, 09:56 AM
I like Bonds. I'm glad he passed Ruth.

Next up, John Buck.

Spicy McHaggis
05-29-2006, 10:57 AM
7 MVP's and 8 Gold Gloves don't lie...the shame is nobody will ever know what he would of been without them.

Wait so how are the 7 MVP's and 8 Gold Gloves not lying if he got them through illicit means? That's like saying Milli Vanilli's record sales don't lie.

banyon
05-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Wait so how are the 7 MVP's and 8 Gold Gloves not lying if he got them through illicit means? That's like saying Milli Vanilli's record sales don't lie.

I don't think anyone has alleged that his gold gloves were the product of steroid usage.

Sure-Oz
05-29-2006, 11:20 AM
The steriods made his vision better too, that is how he has such a high OBP, and is a great career hitter too with a .300+ avg.

banyon
05-29-2006, 11:47 AM
The steriods made his vision better too, that is how he has such a high OBP, and is a great career hitter too with a .300+ avg.

The only thing the roids did was to turn warning track balls into HR's.

So, IMHO, the only part of his career that should be viewed as tainted is the 715. His SB's and Gold Gloves and eye are legit.

4th and Long
05-29-2006, 12:11 PM
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/4233/mlbgastericks4127zq.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-29-2006, 12:36 PM
The only thing the roids did was to turn warning track balls into HR's.

So, IMHO, the only part of his career that should be viewed as tainted is the 715. His SB's and Gold Gloves and eye are legit.
By the way... Bonds has still never tested positive for steroids.

Ari Chi3fs
05-29-2006, 12:36 PM
SAN FRANCISCO -- One of the greatest moments in a broadcaster's career went by the wayside Sunday when a KNBR microphone shorted out just as Barry Bonds hit his historic 715th home run.

Dave Flemming was the play-by-play announcer and KNBR has been the Giants' radio flagship station for 27 years. When Bonds hit the ball off Rockies right-hander Byung-Hyun Kim on a full-count pitch in the fourth inning of the Giants' 6-3 loss at AT&T Park with Steve Finley on first base, Flemming said he knew it was gone and began to savor the moment.

"When he hits it 450 feet, there's no doubt about it," Flemming said. "It's an easy call to make. I know it's going to be 715. I know it's going to be the big home run."

Flemming set it up like this:

"Three and two. Finley runs. The payoff pitch. A swing and a drive, deep to cen..."

Flemming's voice dropped out for several seconds as the crowd roared and the trademark San Francisco foghorns rang. Greg Papa, Flemming's sidekick for the day, grabbed another microphone and then picked up the description of the scene.

Flemming said he could hear his own voice echo through the headsets and didn't know his mike had gone dead until Papa frantically got into the mix. Papa fills in for Jon Miller, who was on his usual Sunday assignment for ESPN.

"I don't know technically what happened; I still don't know," said Flemming, who is in his third full season with the Giants. "There's nothing I can do about it. But I thought I made a good call. Nobody will ever know that."

The Giants also said they were not sure what had gone wrong at such a significant moment.

The late Russ Hodges, another Giants announcer, made one of the most significant play-by-play calls in baseball history. Hodges was in the booth for the New York Giants in 1951 when Bobby Thomson hit his famous "shot heard 'round the world" homer at the Polo Grounds to defeat the Brooklyn Dodgers for the National League pennant.

Hodges' call, "The Giants win the pennant, the Giants win the pennant," may be the most replayed in baseball play-by-play history. But Flemming's call didn't make it.

to the babe and beyond

"I don't know what happened," Flemming said about Bonds' 715th homer heard round the world that wasn't to be. "I made the call. It just didn't go over the air."

banyon
05-29-2006, 12:40 PM
By the way... Bonds has still never tested positive for steroids.

by the way, Bonds admitted under oath that he took them.

DanT
05-29-2006, 05:11 PM

Here's how the satirical newspaper The Onion is reporting the story.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/48895/print/

MLB To Place Asterisk, Pound Sign, Exclamation Point, Letter 'F' Next To Bonds' Name In Record Books
May 25, 2006 | Issue 42•21

SAN FRANCISCO— Commissioner Bud Selig announced Wednesday that, once the Giants slugger retires, his name in the official MLB record books will be forever accompanied by an asterisk, followed by a pound sign and exclamation point, all preceded by the letter 'F'—a string of characters that, according to Selig, "will always be associated with Barry Bonds."

"When my children's grandchildren open up their Baseball Almanac a hundred years from now, they'll see this enduring, universally understood symbol right next to Barry's name," Selig said. "And when they do, they'll immediately know that this sequence of characters—F*#!—reflects history's attitude toward not only the conditions under which he was able to hit his home runs, but also the historical implications he had on the game and its records, the relationship he had with the media and fans during his momentous chase, and just the general atmosphere of baseball in an era he will come to embody."

"These symbols say more about Barry Bonds and his contributions to this sport than any mere number ever could," Selig added.

The decision, which Selig characterized as the only way to accurately convey that Barry Bonds hit his 714-plus home runs under "some pretty goddamn special circumstances," is reminiscent of a similar one made in 1961 by then-commissioner Ford Frick. Frick suggested that an asterisk be placed next to Roger Maris' single-season home-run record of 61, an annotation used to explain that Maris hit his home runs over the course of an expanded 162-game season rather than a 154-game season.

According Selig, the symbol that will be placed next to Bonds' name requires no further explanation.

"When people think of Roger Maris, they immediately think 'asterisk,'" Selig said. "And when people of this and future generations think of Barry Bonds, they will immediately think F*#!"

Most experts, fans, teammates, and those close to the seven-time MVP say that, while Maris was never able to adjust to the stigma of being remembered as a historical footnote, Bonds is already used to constantly hearing the phrase "F*#!" everywhere he goes.

Rest of story (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/48895/print/)