PDA

View Full Version : Nick Athan on the Royals GM situation

FringeNC
05-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Evidently, he has baseball contacts, too:

David Glass has not spoke with any other candidates nor does he plan to at this point...

Moore is the only guy on the list there have not been others. Trust me Moore wants this job and he'll be in the top 1/3 of GM's in regards to pay based on what the Royals have offered him. Plus JS is not going to step down anytime soon in Atlanta and Moore has done all he can in the Braves Organization. He's ready to spread his wings and knows he can right his own ticket if he pulls this deal off and turns around the Royals.

MLB offices have told Glass that he better higher a bonafide baseball man or they could loose their position in the All-Star game. He is the first and last choice at this point and the fact he's been able to get this close is pretty amazing considering Glass understands very little about baseball. But he is one of the most succesful businessmen in the coutnry and you don't get that rich by not hiring the best people.

Moore had the Red Sox job but honestly has had his eye on KC's job because if his Midwest roots. DON'T be fooled by anything else you read he wants this job and the player issue will play itself out. The organization is void of talent at the major league level and 2/3 of it will be turned over between now and September call-ups.

But the issue is not the final say on the players. I think it's going to come down to the Manager. Moore appears to want Bell and wants to start fresh while the Royals and particular Dan Glass wants to keep him around for the balance of the year.

Frank White will likely be the #1 choice of Moore who respects the job White has done with the future Royals in AA. But Pendelton as was suggested by another poster could be brought over to work with White as a Bench Coach... I don't think he'd hire him as manager.

Bell is gone either way... Regardless if its now or at the end of the season. My guess is once Moore is hired and he and Bell sit down, Buddy ball will all but be dead in KC.

The first thing he'll do is let every single MLB team know all the vets are available for trade.

He should have some nice cash to work with in 2007 since Sweeney is all but done.. He'll retire at the end of the year...

P.S. I know I'm the football guy but I do have a source near the Royals... Regardless if what happens at least Glass is trying to lure the best man for the job and just maybe the hottest GM prospect since Theo Epstein...

If Glass pulls this off, this move will be as significant as the Royals drafting George Brett back in the 70's.

FAX
05-28-2006, 06:29 PM
David Glass has not spoke with any other candidates nor does he plan to at this point...

Did he write this, Mr. FringeNC?

FAX

Halfcan
05-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Frank White would be a excellent choice. He is a great guy.

FringeNC
05-28-2006, 06:34 PM

FAX

He wrote everything after the colon.

milkman
05-28-2006, 06:52 PM
I wonder who will be the Royals next GM?

chiefsfaninNC
05-28-2006, 06:53 PM
He wrote everything after the colon.

So it came out of his ass then like everything else he writes?

VonneMarie
05-28-2006, 06:58 PM
I wonder who will be the Royals next GM?
Barry Bonds?

luckeechief
05-28-2006, 06:58 PM
"right his own ticket"
"turns around the Royals"
"higher a bonafied baseball guy"

That's has got to be Athan's work.

FloridaMan88
05-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Any TV network looking for a new sitcom idea should ask Athan to host a sports show.

Logical
05-28-2006, 07:30 PM
It is not bad enough we are bombarded with Athan's crap about the Chiefs, now we have to have his Royals crap as well? Neg rep is what I should do but I won't.

BigRock
05-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Moore had the Red Sox job but honestly has had his eye on KC's job because if his Midwest roots. DON'T be fooled by anything else you read he wants this job and the player issue will play itself out.
Supposedly having a Royals source is one thing, but does Athan have a source close to Moore? Does he have Moore's house bugged? Is he sleeping with Moore's wife and getting this from the pillow talk afterwards?

Monkeylook4food
05-28-2006, 07:36 PM
"right his own ticket"

Sew, did this Nick Athan cat complete the 7th grate? Somebody please tell me that this is a joke?

SPchief
05-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Supposedly having a Royals source is one thing, but does Athan have a source close to Moore? Does he have Moore's house bugged? Is he sleeping with Moore's wife and getting this from the pillow talk afterwards?

Dude, its THE Nick Athan. He doesn't need any ****ing sources.

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 07:58 PM
"right his own ticket"

Athan is a dork. On one article that appeared on the Planet, I repeated every hedging statement he made. Phrases like "It seems to be", "it could be said", "word out of Miami is" and several other similar phrases that actually said nothing. I think there were 7 of them in one short article. I didn't see that in this article but it is still very poorly written. He must be from the Missouri School of Journalism. :p

FringeNC
05-28-2006, 08:00 PM
I think this particular assertion is bs:

"But the issue is not the final say on the players. I think it's going to come down to the Manager. Moore appears to want Bell and wants to start fresh while the Royals and particular Dan Glass wants to keep him around for the balance of the year."

As written it makes no sense whatsoever, but my guess is Athan means he think Moore would want to immediately fire Bell, and Glass wouldn't. Still makes no sense. Obviously, Bell is gone and his standing is of no significance at this point. It has to be about total control over personnel.

Also, his alluding to MLB threatening the Royals. That is very interesting. Posnanski mentioned that he hoped that happened. Given how incompetent Glass is, it seems possible to me that league is in effect forcing Glass to remove himself from day-to-day operations.

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I think this particular assertion is bs:

"But the issue is not the final say on the players. I think it's going to come down to the Manager. Moore appears to want Bell and wants to start fresh while the Royals and particular Dan Glass wants to keep him around for the balance of the year."

I guess I didn't read closely enough the first time. There are two of them in this short blurb.

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Not to keep hammering Athan but he writes all these "maybe" predictions and then if any of them come true he says "see, I scooped that". He is so transparent it is insulting to read his stuff. Who actually pays to see this kind of shit?

SPchief
05-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Not to keep hammering Athan but he writes all these "maybe" predictions and then if any of them come true he says "see, I scooped that". He is so transparent it is insulting to read his stuff. Who actually pays to see this kind of shit?

Thank you captain obvious

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Thank you captain obvious
Shut up, n00b. I'll come over there with my big repstick and bash your paper mache head until candy comes out for the kids.

SPchief
05-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Shut up, n00b. I'll come over there with my big repstick and bash your paper mache head until candy comes out for the kids.

SHUT UP OLD FART

Monkeylook4food
05-28-2006, 08:45 PM

Obviously Nick Athan is a dumbass. But even he isn't threatening negative rep.

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Obviously Nick Athan is a dumbass. But even he isn't threatening negative rep.
You stoopid n00b, In a matter of seconds I could send you so far back in rep hell they'd have to pipe rep to you.

Monkeylook4food
05-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Please Mr. Towne, don't do that to me. Don't neg rep me. Gosh, oh my. Please don't swing the hammer.

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Please Mr. Towne, don't do that to me. Don't neg rep me. Gosh, oh my. Please don't swing the hammer.
Well.................since you asked nicely, you get a pass this time.

Mr. Laz
05-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Trust me ...

aaaahh ..... no.

Eleazar
05-28-2006, 10:17 PM
He's pretty good at taking what is reported in other media and word it like a prediction.

I mean, seriously, I could have written this article and made it sound more scholarly and authoritative, and had just as much information as you see here by reading the ESPN article about Moore being offered the job.

chief2000
05-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Moore sounds like a good hire.

Can't we trade Sweeney ?

Is Allard Baird and current scouts handling the draft ? Not good if so.

Skip Towne
05-28-2006, 10:26 PM
He's pretty good at taking what is reported in other media and word it like a prediction.

I mean, seriously, I could have written this article and made it sound more scholarly and authoritative, and had just as much information as you see here by reading the ESPN article about Moore being offered the job.
What would be fun would be to ask Athan about this mythical QB from Montana State named oh............uh...........James Winner. Then feed him Todd Blackledge's college stats and ask for his evaluation of this prospect.

Halfcan
05-28-2006, 10:27 PM

Thats what they all do. Most media are too lazy to do their own work, and just recopy others.

Seriously, with as much infomation as presented here and on ESPN about Moore being offered the Job, I could have written the article and made it sound authoritative and scholary.

Halfcan
05-28-2006, 10:28 PM
See what I did there-I pulled an Athan!

Eleazar
05-28-2006, 10:49 PM

Classic work on the verb tense there.

Moore is the only guy on the list there have not been others.

Another trademark redundant sentence...

Trust me Moore wants this job

What do you have against commas?

[Moore] knows he can right his own ticket if he pulls this deal off and turns around the Royals.

"Right."

What do you mean, write his own ticket? Like being offered the GM job in Boston?

MLB offices

Is that a technical term?

have told Glass that he better higher a bonafide baseball man or they could loose their position in the All-Star game.

Here, Nick, I'll help you out. Just think of me as a 6th grade English teacher.

"Glass has been told that he had better hire a bona fide basball man, or the Royals' bid to host a future All-Star game could be jeopardized."

And furthermore, how is this even knowable?

Did Athan get Bud Selig on the horn and pick his brain about how he is going to balance All-Star games between new stadiums in St. Louis, LAA (pretty much), maybe Minneapolis, places like KC, others like Arizona or Tampa that have never had one, one that would be a foregone conclusion in any final season in New York or Boston before a new ballpark or major renovation?

And since when in the hell does having a good team have anything to do with hosting a game? Detroit just had one after they almost set the single-season loss record. This year it's in Pittsburgh and they haven't done anything since half this message board was in diapers. Milwaukee and Colorado had one too. It's just a retarded statement all the way around.

He is the first and last choice at this point and the fact he's been able to get this close is pretty amazing considering Glass understands very little about baseball.

Another meaningless literary amalgam filled to the brim with... nothing.

But he is one of the most succesful businessmen in the coutnry and you don't get that rich by not hiring the best people.

Does being worth $500 million make you one of the most successful people in the "coutnry"? And it's not like he started the place up or anything. He was a corporate executive.

Moore had the Red Sox job but honestly has had his eye on KC's job because if his Midwest roots.

A GM candidate turned down the Red Sox because he had his eye on... the Royals job.

Do it with me...

bwwwahahaahahahahhahaha

aaaahhahahahahaha

Ok, I feel better.

DON'T be fooled by anything else you read

Oh, Nick, don't worry, I wouldn't trust anything that didn't come out of your keyboard.

2/3 of [talent at the major league level ] will be turned over between now and September call-ups.

If Nick says that 17 players on the 25er right now will be gone Sept 1, I believe it.

Of course, if he could be more precise with the English language than a monkey is with flying doo, we might have taken his meaning to be that most of the roster will be different after the expansion and once the September callups are made. But of course, he said 'between', and we know that his word is just one step below that of the almighty.

Moore appears to want Bell and wants to start fresh

Aren't those two things mutually exclusive?

while the Royals and particular Dan Glass wants to keep him around for the balance of the year.

What? So Moore wants to start fresh by keeping the old manager, and Glass doesn't want to start fresh by firing him?

I'm starting to get dizzy.

Frank White will likely be the #1 choice of Moore who respects the job White has done with the future Royals in AA.

So this guy who hasn't accepted the job already has a #1 choice to replace the manager that he likes and doesn't want to fire while he's starting fresh. Gotcha.

But Pendelton as was suggested by another poster could be brought over to work with White as a Bench Coach... I don't think he'd hire him as manager.

"Pendelton"... you mean Terry Pendleton? So the guy who's not the GM and who won't fire the manager but has a choice in case he does decide to not start fresh and make a change thinks a guy who will be a manager soon in the MLB wants to come to a bottom feeder to be the bench coach behind a guy with no managing experience above AA?

Hmm.

Bell is gone either way... Regardless if its now or at the end of the season. My guess is once Moore is hired and he and Bell sit down, Buddy ball will all but be dead in KC.

Wait! But earlier you just told us that "Moore appears to want Bell". He wants Bell but as soon as he's hired "Buddy ball" will be dead? Must have been some late-breaking info coming into the newsroom.

The first thing he'll do is let every single MLB team know all the vets are available for trade.

Our veterans are available? Well, at least there is one journalistic talent on display here, the ability to reach into the "no sh*t" file.

He should have some nice cash to work with in 2007 since Sweeney is all but done.. He'll retire at the end of the year...

Psst - Nick. Sweeney is under contract through 2007.

I guess the fact checking deparment over at Sluggerrr Illustrated must be out for the weekend.

P.S. I know I'm the football guy but I do have a source near the Royals...

Using your Magic 8-Ball while parked on the shoulder of I-70 doesn't count.

CHIEF4EVER
05-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Athan is and idiot.

chefsos
05-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Athan surgically dispatched by Cochise. Nicely done.

However...
Here, Nick, I'll help you out. Just think of me as a 6th grade English teacher.

"Glass has been told that he had better hire a bona fide basball man, or the Royals' bid to host a future All-Star game could be jeopardized."
Oh, sweet irony. :)

Eleazar
05-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Athan surgically dispatched by Cochise. Nicely done.

However...

Oh, sweet irony. :)

Ah, damnit. At least I wasn't averaging 3 mistakes per line.

And a simple typo is a lot different than an error where you don't know how to form a basic sentence, or what common word should be chosen to represent your thought (as it were).

Monkeylook4food
05-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Athan is one of the dumbest people ever. Does anybody know if he has a college degree? Please tell me that he didn't earn a degree from one of our institutions of higher learning.

chefsos
05-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Ah, damnit. At least I wasn't averaging 3 mistakes per line.

And a simple typo is a lot different than an error where you don't know how to form a basic sentence, or what common word should be chosen to represent your thought (as it were).
I'm beginning to think that Nick does use a spellchecker after all, but accepts whatever correction it comes up with. God only knows what he actually typed.

As for my little jab at the typo in your otherwise brilliant putdown, well, I just couldn't help myself.

You know you couldn't have either, if you were in my shoes.

CHIEF4EVER
05-28-2006, 11:23 PM
I've seen 7 year olds that spell better and punctuate better than Athan.

CHIEF4EVER
05-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Please tell me that he didn't earn a degree from one of our institutions of higher learning.

Earn? Hell no. Receive? Perhaps.

Monkeylook4food
05-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Anybody know from where?

Hammock Parties
05-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Go read one of Nick's warpaint articles. It's significantly better than it used to be.

Monkeylook4food
05-28-2006, 11:37 PM
No thanks. I hope he's not offended though. I don't like to read the work of 5th graders either.

tk13
05-28-2006, 11:37 PM
I look forward to Al Saunders coaching the Royals.

chefsos
05-28-2006, 11:51 PM
I look forward to Al Saunders coaching the Royals.
"Runners in motion from the corners, here's the suicide squeeze! ..No! It's a fake! He looks for the long ball, but it's covered. Line drive, base h...no, leaping catch at short! Man oh man, hitting into a triple play in the second sure isn't a good thing. But, they won't have a clue as to what Al's gonna do in the seventh."

SPchief
05-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Go read one of Nick's warpaint articles. It's significantly better than it used to be.

How does Phobias balls taste this evening??

CHIEF4EVER
05-29-2006, 12:04 AM

Ouch. ROFL

Hammock Parties
05-29-2006, 12:10 AM

"do," not "does." You're as bad as Nick.

SPchief
05-29-2006, 12:11 AM
my bad Internet grammer Nazi.

Please teach me the correct way

Eleazar
05-29-2006, 05:45 AM
Where did you find this anyways Fringe? Why would he write about the Royals?

CupidStunt
05-29-2006, 07:06 AM
my bad Internet grammer Nazi.

Please teach me the correct way

..."Phobia's balls."...

They're his balls. :)

the Talking Can
05-29-2006, 07:11 AM
"right his own ticket"

that's premium level stuff from the Athan-ster....

Fire Me Boy!
05-29-2006, 07:21 AM
"right his own ticket"

I am constantly amazed ANYONE pays for the premium WPI package.

KChiefs1
05-29-2006, 07:23 AM

Royals Scout Board:
http://mb3.scout.com/fkansascityroyalsfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=5879.topic&start=51&stop=94

FringeNC
05-29-2006, 07:27 AM

The Royals' scout.com board.

CHIEF4EVER
05-29-2006, 07:30 AM
The only thing Athan should be writing about is the fine art of scrubbing toilets which, coincidentally, he is most suited to do professionally.

OldTownChief
05-29-2006, 07:33 AM
What a moron.

Monkeylook4food
05-29-2006, 08:30 AM
So it turns out this is just a post on a message board? The guy is obviously a moron but I'm not going to scrutinize a post on a message board like I will a published article.

teedubya
05-29-2006, 09:31 AM
"right his own ticket"

dude is in 'digher' needs of an prof reeder.

OldTownChief
05-29-2006, 10:09 AM
So it turns out this is just a post on a message board? The guy is obviously a moron but I'm not going to scrutinize a post on a message board like I will a published article.

Oh he'll publish it alright.

teedubya
05-29-2006, 10:16 AM
funny, but that Royals Scout board, is more active today, than Chiefsplanet.

StcChief
05-29-2006, 11:51 AM
funny, but that Royals Scout board, is more active today, than Chiefsplanet.

They got plenty to be active and pissed about.... :hmmm:

This is a yearly condition.

Mr. Laz
05-29-2006, 12:25 PM

> bad ≠ good

Hammock Parties
05-29-2006, 12:26 PM
I am constantly amazed ANYONE pays for the premium <a href="http://chiefsplanet.com">WPI</a> package.

It's worth it.

Skip Towne
05-29-2006, 12:31 PM
It's worth it.
Only if you want guesses and supposition by near illiterates. GoChiefs, you are not fooling anyone. We all know you are Athan and Phobias' scrotum ornament.

Hammock Parties
05-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Only if you want guesses and supposition by near illiterates. GoChiefs, you are not fooling anyone. We all know you are Athan and Phobias' scrotum ornament.

Nah, I'm talking about the premium articles. Our guys were writing multiple articles a day during mini-camp. They're well written and informative.

The exception is Phil's articles. He sucks.

Skip Towne
05-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Nah, I'm talking about the premium articles. Our guys were writing multiple articles a day during mini-camp. They're well written and informative.

The exception is Phil's articles. He sucks.
I wouldn't read their trash if it was free. They would have to pay me to correct their copy.

OldTownChief
05-29-2006, 12:42 PM

That guy writes like he's mentally retarded.

Hammock Parties
05-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't read their trash if it was free. They would have to pay me to correct their copy.

Read their main article then. It's free. And free of retardation, too.

kcxiv
05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
GoChiefs, why do you even bother with the folks on this site? All they wanna do is put someone down that isnt in thier circle.

the Talking Can
05-29-2006, 04:55 PM
GoChiefs, why do you even bother with the folks on this site? All they wanna do is put someone down that isnt in thier circle.

yur so rite, the illterate sircal is the kool plays to be...shey it lowd and shey it prowd "weer preme-ums at WPI!"

Eleazar
05-30-2006, 12:57 PM

No, we are just prejudice against stupidity.