PDA

View Full Version : A soldier's thoughts from Iraq

Count Alex's Losses
05-28-2006, 10:59 PM
I posted some other observations from the same guy a few months ago...here's his latest.

-----------------------------------------------------------

First of all, I'm not a politically correct person. I stopped caring about hurting most people's feelings long ago, whether this was a result of joining the Army or deploying to Iraq, I'm not sure. I was naturally a cynic/pessimist before I joined, but in the months since I've been here, I've noticed in myself (as well as others) a change in personality. I suppose if one were to equate it to anything it would be similar to the change to the main character in the novel/movie All Quiet on the Western Front. While I'm not comparing my situation to World War I, I am merely citing as best an example as I can as to how my mind and the minds of others have slowly become numb to what is around us.

The reason for this thread is I suppose to "clear the air" about this place. Since so many ask me how things go over here.

I've been in Iraq since December of last year, I've been patrolling in Baghdad every other day virtually since January 1st when our platoon started doing full combat patrols on our own. The longest I ever spent in sector was approximately 39 hours straight, suffice it to say, it was one of the longest days in my life.

I have been shot at once, been in three IED attacks (i was lucky in that the IEDs used were either too small to damage the humvees we were in or were too far away to do any damage). I have shot one person and I've had two friends injured so far over here, both are expected to make full recoveries.

This place is difficult to describe. Words, pictures and even video can only do so much. It is something that only those who have expirienced can understand. To give you an idea of this, allow me to tell you a short story about something that happened when I was younger.

Years ago, there was a car accident near my neighborhood, being not to far from our house, our family went out to see what happened. A young woman was killed when her car collided virtually head on with another one. The woman was killed instantly. The only part of her body I saw was her feet, the firefighters that freed her were totally professional, they kept a tarp between the people watching and the dead woman. Thus, I can't even really say that I "saw" a body.

In one day alone over here, I saw four people that were murdered.

The first time or two affected me, after all, murder is something I'm not exactly used to. I felt slightly nauseous but didn't throw up. Now I feel nothing, empty rather. Sometimes I get pissed that we find the bodies near the end of our patrols and it nessecitates our staying out in the sector over our 6 hour patrol schedule (I do a six hour patrol, get roughly six hours off, and then do a six hour night patrol).

I used to be optimistic about this country, now? Not very.

It isn't just the insurgents that will cause this country to fail, it is in fact the people themselves.

You would think that after over 20 years of living under a dictator, that they would work together to build a future. Set aside their differences and build a nation that they could be proud of.

Nope.

I see a lack of courage in these people. Courage to stand up to those who would murder them, people refuse to tell us who murders who, so instead of stopping the murders, they are simply allowed to continue. Bodies that are dumped in the street are ignored by people that pass by, like they don't even exist. A particularly surreal moment for me was when we found two bodies and there was a guy THREE HOUSES DOWN FROM THEM, waving at us like there weren't two human beings lying in a pool of their own blood right near his house. Christ, I actually yelled at the guy, "You know that there are two ****ing bodies at the end of your street right?"

Myself and others don't like this place for some of the obvious reasons, the heat, and people trying to kill us. However, we TRULY hate it because of what it's taken from us. We've already missed Christmas, Thanksgiving, Birthdays, Anniversaries, etc. Because we're here sticking our necks out for people to afraid to risk their own.

Logical
05-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Interesting perspective, thanks.

Mr. Laz
05-30-2006, 07:44 PM
It isn't just the insurgents that will cause this country to fail, it is in fact the people themselves..

nation building :shake:

Count Alex's Losses
07-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Bumping this thread with an interesting report from battle. Mosques suck.

I hate mosques.

****ing hate them. Hate the goddamned innams (or whatever the proper name is) that run them. I hate the fact that we can't kick in their ****ing doors to search for weapons and anti-coalition propoganda which we KNOW are probably in there.

The other day I got off a 24 hour mission (in which I lost my ****ing camera, which did little to better my mood), instead of rolling back to the FOB, we instead got pulled into a massive firefight which engulfed our sector.

The insurgents decided to make a statement or whatever the hell and attacked a few Iraqi Police (IP) checkpoints, the IPs naturally didn't take kindly to being shot at and killed and responded with, you guessed it. Massive amounts of firepower aimed at percisely nothing.

Enter my platoon.

Part of our platoon was already in sector patrolling, some of it was promptly pinned down by the heavy amount of fire that was coming from pretty much every direction. The guys I was with had just gotten off a mission and were quite tired. We promptly were thrown in with another platoon from our company and told to get the **** out there and kill something for god's sake, we have a reputation to uphold!

A hilarious image that sticks in my mind is seeing some of third platoon roll out in sandals, PT outfits and running shoes. It was hilarious to see American troops rush into battle with sandals on.

In the middle of all this, the Mosques speakers pick up. Not for the call to prayer, oh no, they called on the populace to join the Jihad to kill Americans.

Argh.

Of course we couldn't bust down the doors and haul the bastards off like we rightly should, oh no, it would anger people. God forbid we do something remotely unpopular.

The result of the mosques was this, some civilians did join the fight against us.

Thus, you had IPs, Insurgents, armed civilians, and us all fighting at the same time.

Eventually the fighting died down. I've little doubt that the (Public Order Brigades) will take revenge for the slaying of any of their comrades, the fact that several bodies have already been discovered is proof of this.

Christ, I wonder how much better this place would be if the mosques SUPPORTED us.

Jesus
07-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah....bloggers here in the U.S. and talking heads with an agenda, know more than those on the ground Mr. GoChiefs. Didn't you get the memo?

Braincase
07-05-2006, 06:23 AM
This thread has not been approved by Ann Coulter and will be deleted.

listopencil
07-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Bump.