PDA

View Full Version : Why do these anti-war protestors hate the troops?

Duck Dog
05-30-2006, 08:14 AM
Fair and Balanced link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197424,00.html)

OLYMPIA, Washington Police fired pepper spray as about 150 anti-war protesters tried to enter the Port of Olympia as part of ongoing demonstrations against the shipment of Army equipment to Iraq.

Activists began watching for a military ship more than a week ago after learning that Stryker vehicles and other Army gear from the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, a 4,000-soldier unit stationed at Fort Lewis, was being shipped to Iraq through the port.

jAZ
05-30-2006, 08:20 AM
"The majority were very peaceful, nonviolent, just exercising their constitutional rights," sheriff's Capt. Bradley Watkins said.

Cochise
05-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Isn't protesting the shipping of equipment a little misguided?

Do they think that if they could somehow deny the military needed equipment, that it would help them get a coherent point across?

This is like protestors that lay down in the street and stop traffic. You aren't getting anyone on your side, you're just pissing people off and making yourself look stupid.

jAZ
05-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Isn't protesting the shipping of equipment a little misguided?

Do they think that if they could somehow deny the military needed equipment, that it would help them get a coherent point across?

This is like protestors that lay down in the street and stop traffic. You aren't getting anyone on your side, you're just pissing people off and making yourself look stupid.
Here's a little more complete story. With actual quotes from the protesters explaining their motives. Not particularly well thought out, IMO... but not hateful of troops either.

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060530/NEWS/60530002

Logical
05-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Not sure how you link protesting the war through the shipment of equipment to hating the troops. That seems to be a real stretch to me.

CHIEF4EVER
05-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Not sure how you link protesting the war through the shipment of equipment to hating the troops. That seems to be a real stretch to me.

Oh, I don't know Jim. Maybe because trying to deny the equipment necessary for troops to fight and survive with on the battlefield goes a bit beyond protesting. That borders on sedition. They can protest the war all they want but when they start doing things that endanger the very peoples live that are keeping the protesters safe, it goes above and beyond making a political point. It makes one wonder as to the true motive.

Pitt Gorilla
05-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Fair and Balanced link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197424,00.html)Ah, selective editing. I agree that the protest is silly, but so is your posting "style."

Duck Dog
05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Ah, selective editing. I agree that the protest is silly, but so is your posting "style."

So my posting style somehow negates what these assholes are trying to do?

Logical
05-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Oh, I don't know Jim. Maybe because trying to deny the equipment necessary for troops to fight and survive with on the battlefield goes a bit beyond protesting. That borders on sedition. They can protest the war all they want but when they start doing things that endanger the very peoples live that are keeping the protesters safe, it goes above and beyond making a political point. It makes one wonder as to the true motive.
Protesting the material and actually trying to stop them from being shipped are two entirely different things. There was nothing in the thread post indicating they were trying to do anything more than protest in the shipyard.

Adept Havelock
05-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Protesting the material and actually trying to stop them from being shipped are two entirely different things. There was nothing in the thread post indicating they were trying to do anything more than protest in the shipyard.Vlad, you know that's just too subtle a point for some people here. After all, this president and his supporters don't do "nuance". :p

Of course, these are the same people that assume that because 3 out of 150 attempted to open a gate, all of the others must "hate the troops". What do you expect?

Mr. Laz
05-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Maybe because trying to deny the equipment necessary for troops to fight and survive with on the battlefield goes a bit beyond protesting. That borders on sedition.

you mean like getting enough body and vehicle armor?

jiveturkey
05-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Why do these anti-war protestors hate the troops?

Reach
http://www.camposgroup.com/images/upload/med/reach.jpg