PDA

View Full Version : Great Idea for Border Control

redbrian
06-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Kinky Freeman who is running for office in his home state of Texas has a great idea for border control.

His plan is to split the Texas border into 5 regions give each region to a Mexican General to control.

Put a million dollars into a trust fund for each General, then for each illegal which crosses the border and is caught remove $5,000 from the trust fund.

patteeu
06-02-2006, 12:09 PM
That would be a heck of a lot cheaper and probably have a better chance of working than doubling the size of the Border patrol. Of course, Mexico might not like the idea of us offering incentives to Mexican Generals.

jAZ
06-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Kinky Freeman who is running for office in his home state of Texas has a great idea for border control.

His plan is to split the Texas border into 5 regions give each region to a Mexican General to control.

Put a million dollars into a trust fund for each General, then for each illegal which crosses the border and is caught remove $5,000 from the trust fund.
Which is greater, $5,000,000 or the amount of money 11,000,000 are able to send back to Mexico? I'm guessing that there are folks in Mexico who would be willing to match and exceed the $5,000,000 to get the same generals to look the other way.

banyon
06-02-2006, 12:40 PM
bribes of government officials in Mexico? surely not.

redbrian
06-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Which is greater, $5,000,000 or the amount of money 11,000,000 are able to send back to Mexico? I'm guessing that there are folks in Mexico who would be willing to match and exceed the $5,000,000 to get the same generals to look the other way.

Let's see 11,000 let in would equal $55,000 removed from the kitty.

At less than minimum wage these folk can't afford to fork over $5,000 or more to grease the wheels.

jAZ
06-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Let's see 11,000 let in would equal $55,000 removed from the kitty.

At less than minimum wage these folk can't afford to fork over $5,000 or more to grease the wheels.
Check you math...

11,000 * $5,000 = $55,000,000

11,000,000 * $15,000 (annual income) = $165,000,000,000

go bowe
06-02-2006, 05:49 PM
eh, math is overrated...

BucEyedPea
06-02-2006, 07:41 PM
eh, math is overrated...

Don't let Pitt Gorilla see that. :p

redbrian
06-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Check you math...

11,000 * $5,000 = $55,000,000

11,000,000 * $15,000 (annual income) = $165,000,000,000

So let’s see if I understand your point.

Each immigrant will make $15,000 dollars a year income (is that gross or net).

If each one has to kick in a $5,000+ bribe to pay off the General to stay in the US that would leave $10,000- to live on and to send some back to the family.

That first year is going to be real tough.

unlurking
06-03-2006, 09:21 AM

If each one has to kick in a $5,000+ bribe to pay off the General to stay in the US that would leave $10,000- to live on and to send some back to the family.

The Mexican generals are already on the take from the cartels who charge 1.5k+ per person smuggled in and more for protecting the super labs and those who smuggle drugs across. I'm sure they don't get a million dollars a year, but we also don't know the length of this trust-fund.

jAZ
06-03-2006, 10:06 AM

My point is that the cartels who brough these people across for a fee have way more to lose (in future revenues from being able to bring them across) than it would cost to match or exceed the $5M proposed.

If you factor in all 11,000,000 illegals already here, it would cost the smugglers cartel about $0.50 per illegal extra to be able to match the $5M.

That's right fifty cents.

When each illegal is bringing back $15,000 (or $10,000... gross, net, whatever... it's just an assumption) to themselves and/or their family in Mexico and $1500 to the cartel (per trip)... it won't cost much more to pay off these generals at $1M each.

It's just a silly plan.

Taco John
06-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Sounds like a good way to encourage bribery.

Mr. Laz
06-03-2006, 10:53 AM
or we can call the mexican government and tell them that if they don't stop the illegal immigration we will cut off all financial aid ... all tourist travel AND close the border ourselves with prejudice.

we cut mexico off and they are back in the stone age.

Moooo
06-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Even if the Mexican generals selected are clean, you still have a problem of their law enforcement stretched too thin. Besides, why would a Mexican general care who crosses the border?

or we can call the mexican government and tell them that if they don't stop the illegal immigration we will cut off all financial aid ... all tourist travel AND close the border ourselves with prejudice.

But, we also rely on them for dirt cheap labor, NAFTA style! :)

Moooo

Bob Dole
06-06-2006, 12:04 AM

You haven't wandered around Mexico outside of the resort destinations like Cancun and Cozumel, have you?

Outside of the tourist destinations, they are pretty much in the Stone Age now.

Bob Dole got lost heading back to Cancun from Chichén Itzá last year and it was an eye opening experience. After witnessing some of the things Bob Dole witnessed, Bob Dole spent the last couple of days in Cancun asking questions about the things he had seen.

"How can those people living 10 miles out of town in a 8'x8' grass hut reconcile their situation with the string of 4 and 5 star hotels sitting here on the coast?"

Most of them have never seen them.

Living in Tejas, Bob Dole has seen what he thought were unacceptable situations where 10-12 Mexicans were living together in a 1500 sq. ft. house. After seeing what they left behind in Mexico, Bob Dole understands that what you or I consider unacceptable is a significant upgrade for many of these folks.

Bob Dole isn't going to defend the illegals or suggest that we should be responsible for supporting them all financially, but after last summer's wandering, Bob Dole has a better understanding about WHY they are here. And Bob Dole has seen NOTHING but a strong work ethic and sense of family from the immigrants around here.

Moooo
06-06-2006, 03:23 AM
You haven't wandered around Mexico outside of the resort destinations like Cancun and Cozumel, have you?

Bob Dole got lost heading back to Cancun from Chichén Itzá last year and it was an eye opening experience. After witnessing some of the things Bob Dole witnessed, Bob Dole spent the last couple of days in Cancun asking questions about the things he had seen.

"How can those people living 10 miles out of town in a 8'x8' grass hut reconcile their situation with the string of 4 and 5 star hotels sitting here on the coast?"

Living in Tejas, Bob Dole has seen what he thought were unacceptable situations where 10-12 Mexicans were living together in a 1500 sq. ft. house. After seeing what they left behind in Mexico, Bob Dole understands that what you or I consider unacceptable is a significant upgrade for many of these folks.

Bob Dole isn't going to defend the illegals or suggest that we should be responsible for supporting them all financially, but after last summer's wandering, Bob Dole has a better understanding about WHY they are here. And Bob Dole has seen NOTHING but a strong work ethic and sense of family from the immigrants around here.

My dad took a management job for a resort out in California, and said most all of his employess out there were Hispanics who didn't speak English. He said they put him to shame when it came to working. My dad is a pretty hard laborer, but I guess the guys working for him were just insane with their work ethic.

On top of that, my dad slowly started to learn spanish in order to talk to them. Whenever he would mess up his spanish, he'd say, "Sorry." Most every worker he had would real quickly say, "No, don't apologise, we're the ones who need to learn YOUR language!"

Moooo

jspchief
06-06-2006, 07:48 AM

Bob Dole isn't going to defend the illegals or suggest that we should be responsible for supporting them all financially, but after last summer's wandering, Bob Dole has a better understanding about WHY they are here. And Bob Dole has seen NOTHING but a strong work ethic and sense of family from the immigrants around here.That kind of touches on my opinion on the "cheap labor" issue. IMO, it's a give and take situation. Some Americans may look at it as exploitation, but the Mexicans are actually happy to have a job that pays so well.

I think a lot of people have no idea just how primitive a lot of Mexico is.