PDA

View Full Version : Well,at least for a day it felt like the Planet we used to know...

Taco John
06-02-2006, 12:25 PM
That was fun. Hope they do it again someday...

Mr. Laz
06-02-2006, 01:18 PM
it was a fun change of pace

i would rather just have the DC link back on the front page for convenience though.

Donger
06-02-2006, 01:19 PM

i would rather just have the DC link back on the front page for convenience though.

You mean where you used to be able to see the most recent post?

Radar Chief
06-02-2006, 01:37 PM
You mean where you used to be able to see the most recent post?

Not meanín to speak for Laz, but yea thatís what Iíd like.

Calcountry
06-02-2006, 02:24 PM
That was fun. Hope they do it again someday...It was so fun, it crashed the server. ;)

Logical
06-02-2006, 03:40 PM

i would rather just have the DC link back on the front page for convenience though.I believe we would get a wider diversity of posters if that came back. I don't expect it will happen though.

Logical
06-02-2006, 03:41 PM
That was fun. Hope they do it again someday...:clap:

Donger
06-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I believe we would get a wider diversity of posters if that came back. I don't expect it will happen though.

I don't understand the logic of that. I can understand and agree with splitting off politics from the lounge, but politics is just another topic. If the Pics, Geeks and Music Forums can be listed up there, I see no reason why DC shouldn't be as well.

go bowe
06-02-2006, 06:16 PM
out of sight, out of mind...

isn't that what ghettos are for?

htismaqe
06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm all for moving the DC link back with MusicPlanet and the rest at the top of the Lounge.

However, I think it should be put to a vote in the Lounge.

But I'm in favor of it, yes.

the Talking Can
06-02-2006, 09:59 PM
I don't understand the logic of that. I can understand and agree with splitting off politics from the lounge, but politics is just another topic. If the Pics, Geeks and Music Forums can be listed up there, I see no reason why DC shouldn't be as well.

because people are so helpless that the mere sight of the link forces them to click on it....or that's what they say, anyways...you know, threads put a gun to your head, what would you do?

Logical
06-02-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm all for moving the DC link back with MusicPlanet and the rest at the top of the Lounge.

However, I think it should be put to a vote in the Lounge.

But I'm in favor of it, yes.Just curious but why? It was removed without a vote, why is a vote needed to add it back?

htismaqe
06-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Just curious but why? It was removed without a vote, why is a vote needed to add it back?

I honestly don't remember the exact circumstances, it's been quite some time. I'm quite certain it wouldn't have been moved without input from the membership, whether that was a vote or just a shitload of complaints.

If you'd like to organize a grass roots campaign to gather enough complaints to get it moved back, more power to ya... ;)

cdcox
06-02-2006, 11:43 PM
If I remember correctly, there were like 4 or 5 subforums listed at the top of the page. One had to go. DC "won". But it was definitely put to a vote.

I'd go for DC allowed back in the lounge one day a week.

Call it Wild Wednesdays (never happen, I know).

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Just curious but why? It was removed without a vote, why is a vote needed to add it back?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=123590&highlight=sub-forum

Logical
06-03-2006, 12:06 AM
If you go by that vote it should be returned as the subforum it was removed to replace is now not there any longer.

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 12:10 AM
If you go by that vote it should be returned as the subforum it was removed to replace is now not there any longer.

I'd be okay with that; I think it should be put to a vote....especially the January to July portion of keeping it as a subforum listed in the Lounge.

Logical
06-03-2006, 12:12 AM
I'd be okay with that; I think it should be put to a vote....especially the January to July portion of keeping it as a subforum listed in the Lounge.Why?

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Why?
Why a vote? Just to ensure community support, I guess.

I suspect it would pass. A lot of us were/are just sick and tired of the constant and relentless bashing and negativity by a handful of posters; and we didn't even want to see it listed in the subforums as a reminder....at least DURING the season. In the off-season, at least, it belongs alongside the other forums. As you've said, despite it's decline....it's still the second most visited and posted forum on the Planet.

Logical
06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I honestly don't remember the exact circumstances, it's been quite some time. I'm quite certain it wouldn't have been moved without input from the membership, whether that was a vote or just a shitload of complaints.

If you'd like to organize a grass roots campaign to gather enough complaints to get it moved back, more power to ya... ;)

Nah I am fine with the way things are now, yesterday was some serious fun though. For the first time in years (except for major football related days) the BB was hopping.

banyon
06-03-2006, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the interesting read. Feel like I know a little more about the history of this place now.

Seemed like you were complaining about how everything had gone downhill just as much back then too. :)

Mr. Kotter
06-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the interesting read. Feel like I know a little more about the history of this place now.

Seemed like you were complaining about how everything had gone downhill just as much back then too. :)

In retrospect, it's about 5 or 6 posters that drive me batty. I really ought to just use the ignore feature more, I guess. FTR, I'd be fine keeping things the way the are now; but putting DC as a subforum listed at the top of the Lounge makes sense too. And it might liven things up a bit in the off-season anyway.

mcan
06-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Merge them all back into the lounge for two weeks, as a trail period.

Keep the Romper Room for threads that moderators have decided are getting out of hand.

Remind every member that they can set their options to show up to 80 threads per page, for those that complain about stuff they WANT to talk about being bumped by stuff they don't want to talk about.

After two weeks, take a poll. "Is this board more fun now"
Yes
No

My bet is there will be an overwhelming majority of people who find the board more entertaining. The only people that will vote "no" will be the people that refuse to admit that they were wrong, and the people who honestly hate everything that requires brain power to talk about...

patteeu
06-03-2006, 08:59 AM

Like cdcox said, it actually was put to a vote. I think it happened around the time the ChiefsPlanet store was coming on line and, understandably, there was interest in putting the store sub-forum at the top of the front page. Something had to go to make room for it so a vote was taken on which subforum should be removed. *edit* I see now that it was the "Games" subforum that was being added. The store forum was already there, and to Phobia's credit, he included it as an option to be banished. */edit*

The results would likely have been different if the poll had asked which forum would you most like to see remain because DC would have probably had quite a bit of support and the anti-DC vote would have been split among the other sub-forums. As often is the case, it's all in how you design the poll question.

With that in mind, if this question is put in front of the board membership again, I recommend asking which one of all the subforums would you most like to see at the top of the Lounge with the winners being the top 3 or 4 vote earners (depending on how many subforums the mods want at the top of the front page).

go bowe
06-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Like cdcox said, it actually was put to a vote. I think it happened around the time the ChiefsPlanet store was coming on line and, understandably, there was interest in putting the store sub-forum at the top of the front page. Something had to go to make room for it so a vote was taken on which subforum should be removed. *edit* I see now that it was the "Games" subforum that was being added. The store forum was already there, and to Phobia's credit, he included it as an option to be banished. */edit*

The results would likely have been different if the poll had asked which forum would you most like to see remain because DC would have probably had quite a bit of support and the anti-DC vote would have been split among the other sub-forums. As often is the case, it's all in how you design the poll question.

With that in mind, if this question is put in front of the board membership again, I recommend asking which one of all the subforums would you most like to see at the top of the Lounge with the winners being the top 3 or 4 vote earners (depending on how many subforums the mods want at the top of the front page).your proposal is too rational...

the whiners would never let it pass, and remember, according to htsmack complaints can change policy around here just as much as polls...

the whiners will always send their pm complaints to the mods no matter what we do, and their complaints do seem to have some clout...

wasn't it complaints about wrecksjake's gm thread that caused it to land here the other day?

patteeu
06-03-2006, 04:07 PM
your proposal is too rational...

the whiners would never let it pass, and remember, according to htsmack complaints can change policy around here just as much as polls...

the whiners will always send their pm complaints to the mods no matter what we do, and their complaints do seem to have some clout...

wasn't it complaints about wrecksjake's gm thread that caused it to land here the other day?

So it would seem.

Logical
06-03-2006, 06:32 PM
To me the obvious thing to do would be to keep some archive subforums (music, HOC, archives) then have the two (DC and Pictures) most active subforums at the top of the page as they deserve to be there to promote more traffic. Eliminate the rest of the subforums and merge them all back into the regular population. I see subforum proliferation as the biggest dilution of traffic generation on the BB.

listopencil
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
That was fun. Hope they do it again someday...

So, do support the idea of merging DC back and allowing political discussion in The Lounge on a full time basis?

Taco John
06-04-2006, 10:17 PM
So, do support the idea of merging DC back and allowing political discussion in The Lounge on a full time basis?

I don't know. I wouldn't want it that way on the Mane, so it's hard for me to say that i'd want it here... Except to say that I enjoyed the Planet a lot more when the main forum was a free for all. I understand why it got seperated... That last election was putrid and it needed to be done. But I don't see why people shouldn't be able to discuss things like border or gun control in the main forum during the offseason... Even if they move the thread to DC after it reaches so many pages...

At the very least, I think the DC link should go back on the front page. I personally thought that was poor on the part of the admins of this place and a real slap in the face to our subcommunity.

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 09:31 AM
To me the obvious thing to do would be to keep some archive subforums (music, HOC, archives) then have the two (DC and Pictures) most active subforums at the top of the page as they deserve to be there to promote more traffic. Eliminate the rest of the subforums and merge them all back into the regular population. I see subforum proliferation as the biggest dilution of traffic generation on the BB.

Number of posts ≠ most active

DC is generating a relatively large volume of traffic from a HANDFUL of users.

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't know. I wouldn't want it that way on the Mane, so it's hard for me to say that i'd want it here... Except to say that I enjoyed the Planet a lot more when the main forum was a free for all. I understand why it got seperated... That last election was putrid and it needed to be done. But I don't see why people shouldn't be able to discuss things like border or gun control in the main forum during the offseason... Even if they move the thread to DC after it reaches so many pages...

At the very least, I think the DC link should go back on the front page. I personally thought that was poor on the part of the admins of this place and a real slap in the face to our subcommunity.

That "slap in the face" was primarily presided-over by the mod who is no longer here. I'm not gonna suggest that neither myself nor Dole had anything to do with it, but at the same time, the management here now IS different.

Logical
06-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Number of posts ≠ most active

DC is generating a relatively large volume of traffic from a HANDFUL of users.

You are just obtuse.

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 10:45 AM
You are just obtuse.

Wrong. You just can't deal with the message.

What you want is that the will of a TINY percentage of users here be forced on the VAST majority.

Logical
06-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Wrong. You just can't deal with the message.

What you want is that the will of a TINY percentage of users here be forced on the VAST majority.Parker there are admittedly probably only 45 or so people who post over here, but if you were to really look into it I would bet that only about 200 including those 45 post regularly over in the Lounge. Sure there are a huge number more registered and some even post once or twice a week but you act as if they are all regulars. You and I post about the same amount so you have to be seeing the same regulars that I am seeing.

Bob Dole
06-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Odd.

When Bob Dole goes to the "front page" of the forum, Bob Dole clearly sees Washington D.C..

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php?

Logical
06-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Odd.

When Bob Dole goes to the "front page" of the forum, Bob Dole clearly sees Washington D.C..

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php?
ROFL

Hey maybe you can answer a question that reminded me of, how come we have both ChiefsPlanet (with all subforums and archives listed) and Arrowhead (with only a partial listing of links)? Never really followed that but did not really ever think to ask.

Bob Dole
06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
ROFL

Hey maybe you can answer a question that reminded me of, how come we have both ChiefsPlanet (with all subforums and archives listed) and Arrowhead (with only a partial listing of links)? Never really followed that but did not really ever think to ask.

It has something to do with parent-child stuff.

To be honest, Bob Dole hasn't really ever paid too much attention, since it's all just a couple of clicks away, anyway...and someone is bound to be unhappy with it no matter how it's laid out.

Logical
06-05-2006, 11:47 AM
It has something to do with parent-child stuff.

To be honest, Bob Dole hasn't really ever paid too much attention, since it's all just a couple of clicks away, anyway...and someone is bound to be unhappy with it no matter how it's laid out.OK I definitely was not complaining, just curious.

Bob Dole
06-05-2006, 12:37 PM
OK I definitely was not complaining, just curious.

Bob Dole didn't mean to imply that you were.

Bob Dole just knows that no matter what, someone is going to find something that doesn't suit their fancy (and in some cases, that fancy will change from day-to-day).

While some people seem to be fairly passionate about their ChiefsPlanet experience, as far as Bob Dole is concerned, it's a pretty small blip on the grand-scheme-of-life radar.

Bob Dole has pies to eat and his left foot itches. A lot.

Logical
06-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Bob Dole didn't mean to imply that you were.

Bob Dole just knows that no matter what, someone is going to find something that doesn't suit their fancy (and in some cases, that fancy will change from day-to-day).

While some people seem to be fairly passionate about their ChiefsPlanet experience, as far as Bob Dole is concerned, it's a pretty small blip on the grand-scheme-of-life radar.

Bob Dole has pies to eat and his left foot itches. A lot.Perhaps Rain Man has infected your left foot with that flesh eating bacteria. Kevin you bastard.

Would be more funny if Kevin read this forum.

htismaqe
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Parker there are admittedly probably only 45 or so people who post over here, but if you were to really look into it I would bet that only about 200 including those 45 post regularly over in the Lounge. Sure there are a huge number more registered and some even post once or twice a week but you act as if they are all regulars. You and I post about the same amount so you have to be seeing the same regulars that I am seeing.

I'm not ambitious enought to run the numbers, but considering how much time I spend here, I know that what I SEE is 5 or 6 people here in DC generating the majority of it's content.

banyon
06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm not ambitious enought to run the numbers, but considering how much time I spend here, I know that what I SEE is 5 or 6 people here in DC generating the majority of it's content.

Here's a possible breakdown:

Daily, starting 1-2 threads a day and/or posting on most others:

jAZ, banyon, BucEyedPea (at least recently), Logical, Mr. Kotter, patteeu, Taco John

3-4 times a week, regularly getting their shots in:

Adept Havelock, Baby Lee, Cochise, Donger, go bo, Laz, memyselfI, nightwish, penchief, Radar Chief,

2-3 times a week, depending on their mood

Amniorix, BIG DADDY, Boozer, Bowser, CHIEF4EVER, Dave Lane, Frankie 'Hamas Jenkins', Loki, NewChief, oldandslow, Pitt Gorilla, stevieray, Sully, The Talking Can, Ugly Duck, unlurking

Once or twice a week, checking in

Braincase, DanT, Duck Dog, htismaqe, Iowanian, jspchief, KC Jones, Lake (DC n00b), listopencil, Lurch, mlyonsd, tiptap, vailpass, Velvet Jones

Once every couple of weeks, maybe.

Adam, Chief Henry, eye patch, Go Chiefs, Hydrae, jettio, jiveturkey, MarcBulger, Old Codger, Punkin Drublic, recxjake (used to be more), Reaper16, Ultra Peanut, WoodDraw, Zach KC

once a blue moon:

Brock, Clint in Wichita, John Locke, Lattimer, RaiderH8r

Mr. Kotter
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM

jAZ, banyon, BucEyedPea (at least recently), Logical, Mr. Kotter, patteeu, Taco John

Eh, you might want to adjust your meter a bit....:spock:

I've started 18 threads in DC....during the last 6 months. 14 of them, HAVE been in the last 90 days.

Yes, my posting has picked up in the last couple of months....but, as I demonstrated to Logical the other day, it's about 15% or less of my total posts at the Planet.... :shrug:

go bowe
06-05-2006, 04:32 PM

I've started 18 threads in DC....during the last 6 months. 14 of them, HAVE been in the last 90 days.

Yes, my posting has picked up in the last couple of months....but, as I demonstrated to Logical the other day, it's about 15% or less of my total posts at the Planet.... :shrug::BS:

how many of those posts were made even before there was a d.c. forum?

what percentage of the posts have been in d.c. since d.c. was created?

you're skewing the numbers to make it look like you don't live over here...

who do you think you are, carl ****ing rove?

or is it dick head cheney?

it's hard to keep up, where is jaz when you need him?

go bowe
06-05-2006, 04:35 PM

Yes, my posting has picked up in the last couple of months....but, as I demonstrated to Logical the other day, it's about 15% or less of my total posts at the Planet.... :shrug:

ummm, check it out bro...

jAZ, banyon, BucEyedPea (at least recently), Logical, Mr. Kotter, patteeu, Taco John. . .

banyon
06-05-2006, 04:44 PM
ummm, check it out bro...

cool, Kotter is illiterate, I'd always suspected the teacher thing was really a front. :p

...I knew I had to use the "And/or" otherwise I wouldn't have been able to include patteeu. He doesn't start threads, he just finishes them (or something).

patteeu
06-06-2006, 07:00 AM
...I knew I had to use the "And/or" otherwise I wouldn't have been able to include patteeu. He doesn't start threads, he just finishes them (or something).

Kills them is probably more accurate. I can sap the entertainment value out of the best of threads.

banyon
06-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Kills them is probably more accurate. I can sap the entertainment value out of the best of threads.

:hmmm: Maybe the problem with DC is that there are too many lawyers here. :cuss: They ruin everything!

BucEyedPea
06-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Some of the discussions do take on the air of depositions and/or trials .