PDA

View Full Version : 17 people caught in Canadian terrorist plot.

Kclee
06-03-2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10663276/?GT1=8211

TORONTO - A group of Canadian residents arrested in coordinated raids across the Toronto area for “terrorism-related offenses” had planned to blow up targets around southern Ontario, Canadian police said on Saturday.

Mike McDonnell, assistant commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, said the group had acquired three metric tons of ammonium nitrate — or three times the amount used in the 1995 bombing in Oklahoma City — as they sought to “create explosive devices.” Police said they had arrested 12 adults and five young people.

“This group posed a real and serious threat,” McDonnell said. “It had the capacity and intent to carry out attacks. Our investigation and arrests prevented the assembly of any bombs and the attacks being carried out.”

Officials showed evidence of bomb making materials, a computer hard drive, camouflage uniforms and what appears to be a door with bullet holes in it at a news conference Saturday morning.

“This group took steps to acquire three tons of ammonium nitrate and other components necessary to create explosive devices,” McDonnell said.

The arrests were made Friday, with some 400 officers involved.

McDonnell said the suspects were either citizens or residents of Canada and had trained together.

“The men arrested yesterday are Canadian residents from a variety of backgrounds. For various reasons they appeared to have become adherents of a violent ideology inspired by al-Qaida,” said Luc Portelance, the assistant director of operations with CSIS — Canada’s spy agency.

Heavily armed police officers ringed the Durham Regional Police Station in the city of Pickering, just east of Toronto, as the suspects were brought in late Friday night in unmarked cars which were drove into an underground garage.

The Toronto Star reported Saturday that Canadian youths in their teens and 20s, upset at the treatment of Muslims worldwide, were among those arrested.

The newspaper said they had trained at a camp north of Toronto and had plotted to attack CSIS’s downtown office near the CN Tower, among other targets.

Melisa Leclerc, a spokeswoman for the federal Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day, had no comment on the arrests. NBC VIDEO

In March 2004, Ottawa software developer Mohammad Momin Khawaja became the first Canadian charged under the country’s Anti-Terrorism Act for alleged activities in Ottawa and London. Khawaja was also named, but not charged, in British for playing a role in a foiled bomb plot. He is being held in an Ottawa detention center, awaiting trial.

The Canadian anti-terrorism law was passed swiftly following the Sept. 11 assaults, particularly after Osama bin-Laden’s named Canada one of five so-called Christian nations that should be targeted for acts of terror. The others, reaffirmed in 2004 by his al-Qaida network, were the United States, Britain, Spain and Australian, all of which have been victims of terrorist attacks.

The anti-terrorism law permits the government to brand individuals and organizations as terrorists and gives police the power to make preventive arrests of people suspected of planning a terrorist attack.

Though many view Canada as an unassuming neutral nation that has skirted terrorist attacks, it has suffered its share of aggression, including the 1985 Air India bombing, in which 329 people were killed, most of them Canadian citizens.

Intelligence officials believe at least 50 terror groups now have some presence in the North American nation and have long complained that the country’s immigration laws and border security are too weak to weed out potential terrorists.

June 3: The suspects charged in Canada had contact with a Georgia Tech student, who has since been arrested. NBC's Pete Williams reports.

Bowser
06-03-2006, 12:46 PM
"Hey, Lew. What say we blow up Ottawa? Show 'em what it's all aboot!"

"Beauty!"

cdcox
06-03-2006, 12:52 PM
This is further proof that our policies in the middle east are a failure.

This is further proof that our homeland security measures are a great success. America in now considered too difficult of a target.

This is further proof that war in Iraq is keeping terrorists off US soil.

This is further proof that Canada is essentially part of the US.

This is further proof that Canada's anti terrorism measures are much more effective than those in the US.

This is further proof that our allies will soon abandon us because our policies put them in danger.

Bowser
06-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Uh, these were Canadians planning on blowing up Canadians. What does the cluster**** in Iraq have to do with this?

cdcox
06-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Uh, these were Canadians planning on blowing up Canadians. What does the cluster**** in Iraq have to do with this?

nothing.

FAX
06-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Is there anything in Canada worth blowing up?

Serious question.

FAX

chagrin
06-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Does anybody get upset about the treament of non muslims?

mikey23545
06-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Michael Moore has confirmed that these people really don't exist and are going to be used by George Bush to declare war on Canada.

chiefsfaninNC
06-03-2006, 02:09 PM

Serious question.

FAX

Several beer making facilities there worth saving.

R&GHomer
06-03-2006, 02:17 PM

Serious question.

FAX

Hell Yes.... Strip clubs :drool: SAVE THE STRIP CLUBS!

FringeNC
06-03-2006, 02:17 PM
"The men arrested yesterday are Canadian residents from a variety of backgrounds."

Yeah a few Christians, a Hindu, two athiests...no wait....

Over-Head
06-03-2006, 02:21 PM
This is further proof that Canada's anti terrorism measures are much more effective than those in the US..ROFL YEP!
Canadian born and raised.
AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!

BucEyedPea
06-03-2006, 03:03 PM

Serious question.

FAX
Those beautiful French European-style stone cathedrals you see spotted throughout the countryside in Quebec province as you drive north from the state of Maine. Some beautiful resorts in the Canadian Rockies...like Calgary area. Just gorgeous.

Bowser
06-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah a few Christians, a Hindu, two athiests...no wait....

Sounds like the beginning of an age old joke.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Congrats to Canada. Dudley Do'ed Right.

T-post Tom
06-03-2006, 08:38 PM

The Poz
06-05-2006, 03:18 PM

Serious question.

FAX

This has gotta be one of the most ignorant questions I've ever read. :shake:

StcChief
06-05-2006, 03:26 PM
"Hey, Lew. What say we blow up Ottawa? Show 'em what it's all aboot!"

"Beauty!"
South of Toronto....Dome stadium Baseball now....
Several other places in Toronto.....

Ottawa?

Montreal Quebec..The Frenchies that wanted to succeed from Canada.

FAX
06-05-2006, 03:26 PM
This has gotta be one of the most ignorant questions I've ever read. :shake:

Thanks for noticing, Mr. Poz. I'm working hard to perfect the art of the ignorant question.

I have a few more extremely ignorant interrogatories in the queue and am just awaiting the perfect time to yank those buggers out.

FAX

sedated
06-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Does anybody get upset about the treament of non muslims?

everybody gets upset about how their group is treated.

(unless you are a middle-aged, middle-class white man. then you have to sit down and shut the f*ck up)

Saulbadguy
06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Blame Canada!

Kclee
06-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Blame Canada!

I blame Junction City .

StcChief
06-05-2006, 04:50 PM
So the groups are hiding in Canada waiting to attack U.S. because Canada is weak on security Nice neighbor.

But will Practice on Toronto....

banyon
06-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for noticing, Mr. Poz. I'm working hard to perfect the art of the ignorant question.

I have a few more extremely ignorant interrogatories in the queue and am just awaiting the perfect time to yank those buggers out.

FAX

Not sure if Mr. FAX has avatars turned off or not, but I believe the Poz was referring to his avatar, and either the young lady or the Tower in it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar5861_9.gif

FAX
06-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Not sure if Mr. FAX has avatars turned off or not, but I believe the Poz was referring to his avatar, and either the young lady or the Tower in it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar5861_9.gif

Thanks a lot, Mr. banyon. I'm always in "work" mode so I don't see avatars or sigs. That way, I don't have to worry about having my own poorly composed signature and risk the ire of Mr. Bob Dole or Mr. htismaqe. Maybe the avatar was what Mr. Poz was referring to. Either way, mine could well have been interpreted as a stunningly ignorant and tasteless question.

I am interested, however, in what the targets were. I have several Canadian clients including the largest bank up there. I wonder if there were any specific strategic targets they were after or if they were just planning to blow up restaurants, rail stations, etc. like the maniacs in the UK.

FAX

The Poz
06-05-2006, 05:51 PM
I am interested, however, in what the targets were. I have several Canadian clients including the largest bank up there. I wonder if there were any specific strategic targets they were after or if they were just planning to blow up restaurants, rail stations, etc. like the maniacs in the UK.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/06/05/canada.terror.targets.reut/index.html

The targets were Ottawa's parliamentary complex and a building at the foot of Toronto's CN Tower. Ottawa being our nations capital and Toronto's CN Tower always has quite a few tourists, high-rise condo's and the Roger's Center - home of the Blue Jays near by. Apparently the transit system wasn't a target even though over a million people ride it every day.

Kclee
06-06-2006, 12:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060606/ap_on_re_ca/canada_terrorism_arrests_41;_ylt=Ai1w1bCK_CUXbuYnY12QAqYTv5UB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

BRAMPTON, Ontario - At least one member of a group of terror suspects plotted to storm Canada's parliament and behead officials, including the prime minister, if Muslim prisoners in Canada and Afghanistan were not released, according to charges made public Tuesday.

Authorities also alleged that Steven Vikash Chand plotted to take over media outlets such as the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

"There's an allegation apparently that my client personally indicated that he wanted to behead the prime minister of Canada," attorney Gary Batasar said. "It's a very serious allegation. My client has said nothing about that."

Chand is a 25-year-old restaurant worker from Toronto. Charges were expected to be read against at least some of the other suspects Tuesday.

Batasar spoke outside the courthouse, where bail hearings for 10 of the 17 suspects were postponed.

He said the charges were based on fear-mongering by government officials