PDA

View Full Version : 37 Forever Foundation: Last Call

Bob Dole
06-03-2006, 06:46 PM
It is with a heavy heart that I post this information, and it's serious enough that I'm going to drop the third person schtick long enough to communicate it.

The current board of directors of 37 Forever Foundation has decided that we can no longer try to make a go of things, and unless some others (minimum of 3, I believe) wish to sign on and accept responsibility for the foundation, we will soon be disbanding 37 Forever as a legal entity. We've managed to accomplish some things in the past few years, but we feel that we, as a leadership group, have accomplished all that we're going to be able to accomplish, and the time has come to either hand over the reigns, or dissolve the charity. We're scatterd around the country and all of us have other responsibilities, and we are simply unable to devote the time and energy necessary to get over the hump. (It's probably not a bad idea to point out at this point that none of us ever claimed to have any particular expertise in this sort of thing, which certainly would have helped...)

If people care enough and have the time and energy to devote to a cause I firmly believe to be a good one, now is the time to step forward.

If not, we've put some children through lessons and I believe played a large role in securing Joe a spot in the Chiefs Ring of Fame, which should ensure that never again will anyone have to ask: What about Joe Delaney?

tommykat
06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
It is with a heavy heart that I post this information, and it's serious enough that I'm going to drop the third person schtick long enough to communicate it.

The current board of directors of 37 Forever Foundation has decided that we can no longer try to make a go of things, and unless some others (minimum of 3, I believe) wish to sign on and accept responsibility for the foundation, we will soon be disbanding 37 Forever as a legal entity. We've managed to accomplish some things in the past few years, but we feel that we, as a leadership group, have accomplished all that we're going to be able to accomplish, and the time has come to either hand over the reigns, or dissolve the charity. We're scatterd around the country and all of us have other responsibilities, and we are simply unable to devote the time and energy necessary to get over the hump. (It's probably not a bad idea to point out at this point that none of us ever claimed to have any particular expertise in this sort of thing, which certainly would have helped...)

If people care enough and have the time and energy to devote to a cause I firmly believe to be a good one, now is the time to step forward.

If not, we've put some children through lessons and I believe played a large role in securing Joe a spot in the Chiefs Ring of Fame, which should ensure that never again will anyone have to ask: What about Joe Delaney?

Well written. We have put some children through swimming lessons, got Joe in the Ring of Fame. Scott, beyond that I say "we" all did a wonderful thing! Never bow your head anyone. We got it done.:clap: Joe will always be remembered now.

I wish I had the time, however at this point and time I don't have it to help. If I do I would gladly help. Thanks all for The 37 Forever Foundation and what we all got accomplished.

morphius
06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Thats a shame, I hope someone can step up to the plate, I know I'm not the person for it.

Bob Dole
06-03-2006, 06:58 PM
beyond that I say "we" all did a wonderful thing! Never bow your head anyone. We got it done.:clap: Joe will always be remembered now.

Too many people to list have done a wonderful thing and given of themselves, and I know that I have been honored to have been a part of it.

Logical
06-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Too many people to list have done a wonderful thing and given of themselves, and I know that I have been honored to have been a part of it.
I am happy for what has been accomplished and think the foundation should be proud of what it accomplished. It would seem that the best chance for future success would be if a group in Kansas City were able to take up the reins from the very successful group who worked the foundation through its infancy.

:clap::clap::clap:

Bob Dole
06-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I am happy for what has been accomplished and think the foundation should be proud of what it accomplished. It would seem that the best chance for future success would be if a group in Kansas City were able to take up the reins from the very successful group who worked the foundation through its infancy.

:clap::clap::clap:

Most definitely.

We have learned the hard way that while the internet allows people to form virtual organizations, when it comes to something like this there is absolutely no substitute for having hard working, extroverted people on the ground in the primary market.

Monkeylook4food
06-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Our biggest problem was ignorance. None of us have any idea how to solicit sponsorship properly. We missed a lot of opportunities that we simply didn't know about and even if we had, wouldn't have known how to close the deal. We've all worked hard, we all had some fun, and a lot of kids benefitted. I know the family is very pleased with our efforts. Thanks to everybody who supported us over the years. You all deserve some positive karma for your generosity.

stevieray
06-03-2006, 08:19 PM
someone tell me his teammate got the painting.

go bowe
06-03-2006, 08:26 PM
sad news indeed...

tommykat
06-03-2006, 09:06 PM
? Who is in KC? Those that are put just a tad of time aside to try and keep this alive. I know all have tried and we achieved. I just hate to see the website go down...Just a thought.

ROYC75
06-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Seriously folks, we have done many great things. The core of many here biggest desire was to get Joe elected to the ROF. Once that was attained, the support and the drive slipped a bit. The inability to secure corporate funds has left us mentally and physically drained to continue without some more local support in the KC area. It takes a large amount of time to do the work that was spread out amongst several members. Our dream of landing yearly corporate funds and having a paid administrator to handle our day to day activities has never materialized. That's our biggest stumbling block to date........

If anybody has a thought or a plan, please feel free to speak........

Mr. Kotter
06-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Too bad. Sorry I missed this yesterday. I was too busy playing....and whining. :redface:

A KC based group or effort is a must. Someone with non-profit/charity experience could really do something with this. The corporate sponsorship would be a big boost, and I've certainly witnessed their support for less worthy causes. Surely, that can happen.

It would just take the right person to get this thing established. Unfortunately, I don't know who that would be. :(

Demonpenz
06-04-2006, 12:36 PM
that would be cool to have a statue like the brett one telling the story of what happened.

wazu
06-04-2006, 01:24 PM
I have a question about 37Forever's mission - on the web page it states that the organization aims to reduce water-related deaths. Is this goal measured in any way? Is there anything in terms of a broader mission? (i.e. getting inner-city youths into outdoor activities like swimming, fishing, etc that could reduce more crime-related activities). Just curious.

No matter what, I respect and admire the efforts of all who have worked for this cause and contributed their time and money to improve their community.

Bob Dole
06-04-2006, 02:17 PM
I have a question about 37Forever's mission - on the web page it states that the organization aims to reduce water-related deaths. Is this goal measured in any way? Is there anything in terms of a broader mission? (i.e. getting inner-city youths into outdoor activities like swimming, fishing, etc that could reduce more crime-related activities). Just curious.

"The 37 Forever Foundation was founded to provide water safety information and swimming programs to underprivileged youths in memory of Joe Delaney, #37 of the 1981-82 Kansas City Chiefs. We will reduce water-related deaths through education and training."

There's not really any way to accurately quantify a reduction in water-related deaths beyond "none of the children who were given lessons have drown".

The mission was intentionally left a little broad to allow flexibility.

wazu
06-04-2006, 02:56 PM
"The 37 Forever Foundation was founded to provide water safety information and swimming programs to underprivileged youths in memory of Joe Delaney, #37 of the 1981-82 Kansas City Chiefs. We will reduce water-related deaths through education and training."

There's not really any way to accurately quantify a reduction in water-related deaths beyond "none of the children who were given lessons have drown".

The mission was intentionally left a little broad to allow flexibility.

Thanks. I wonder how many die in the KC area each year. I don't usually see news stories about it, but then again maybe it happens often enough that it doesn't filter up to the front page level of news that I generally make time for.

Katie
06-04-2006, 03:17 PM
This is very sad news...I have gotten to know many of you because of the foundation and its efforts. It was a great way to meet Chiefs fans and help a worthwhile cause at the same time.

I would be more than glad to help in any capacity, but, again, I'm not in the KC area, so my contributions would be minimal...but if there is anything I can do...let me know...

tommykat
06-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Just a thought.........NO ONE in the KC area has a contact with the Red Cross? That would be a huge in if someone could get them involved, then maybe continue what we all started...Of course with our support as well.

Monkeylook4food
06-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Just a thought.........NO ONE in the KC area has a contact with the Red Cross? That would be a huge in if someone could get them involved, then maybe continue what we all started...Of course with our support as well.

The Red Cross is not the answer.

Katipan
06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Such a shame. In places like Arizona we have so many child drowning deaths every year.

So the solution is to move the Chiefs to Arizona.

sedated
06-04-2006, 04:55 PM
damn. that sucks.

while I cannot accept responsibility for an entire organization, I would be willing to help in any way.

(and I just broke up with an event planner that has much experience with charities and could be quite helpful. but I doubt she will ever talk to me again)

Nzoner
06-04-2006, 05:38 PM
The Red Cross is not the answer.

Although sad,this is very true.I'm not going to get on my soapbox about the Red Cross or the YMCA but I will say that I find it quite unfortunate that we experienced the same problems in more than one community

stevieray
06-04-2006, 06:06 PM
someone tell me his teammate got the painting.

:(

Nzoner
06-04-2006, 06:53 PM
This is very sad news...I have gotten to know many of you because of the foundation and its efforts. It was a great way to meet Chiefs fans and help a worthwhile cause at the same time.

Just my .02 but if no one steps forward to lead 37 forever,I think we could find another established charity with a tie in to the Chiefs in someway,thus enabling us the opportunity to still have a weekend get together for a good cause.

Iowanian
06-04-2006, 06:56 PM
It sucks. Good things were done, alot more to do.

If disbanded...I want to know exactly what is being done with the unspent money I helped raise and have donated.

milkman
06-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Just my .02 but if no one steps forward to lead 37 forever,I think we could find another established charity with a tie in to the Chiefs in someway,thus enabling us the opportunity to still have a weekend get together for a good cause.

The Milkman Fund?

Nzoner
06-04-2006, 07:28 PM

If disbanded...I want to know exactly what is being done with the unspent money I helped raise and have donated.

Speaking for the St Joe chapter you saw last Summer's swimming pics and as for this year I'm now working with Savannah,Mo to provide lessons for a very large group of kids later this Summer.If there are any funds left after that I'll be donating some swimming items to their pool and then closing the account.

morphius
06-04-2006, 07:48 PM
With all the players charities out there one would hope that it wouldn't be too hard, we definitly need to keep the planet gatherings going.

PastorMikH
06-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Does Joe have any kids that would be able to step in now to head things up? Looks to me like they could garner more attention for the orgaganization that remembers their dad (along with the help of the fans that have worked to build the 37forever organization though) than just the fans alone can do.

Just a thought.

Bob Dole
06-04-2006, 09:30 PM

There are very specific rules about what is done with any remaining funds when a 501(c)3 is dissolved. If and when it's done, it's not going to be some giant secret.

Bob Dole
06-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Does Joe have any kids that would be able to step in now to head things up? Looks to me like they could garner more attention for the orgaganization that remembers their dad (along with the help of the fans that have worked to build the 37forever organization though) than just the fans alone can do.

Just a thought.

Without going in to detail, Joe's family is not a viable option.

Monkeylook4food
06-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Our by-laws call for the money to go to a local children's charity. The money will stay in the communities in which it was raised.

go bowe
06-04-2006, 09:35 PM
just curious, why is it necessary to dissolve the 501(c)3?

can't you just let it lay fallow, as it were?

in the remote possibility that someone else down the line might take up the reins, it would be a shame to see the 501(c)3 status just fade away...

it took somebody a lot of time and a fair amount of money to obtain that status with the irs and it has value (which may be of use with a bit of luck)...

just my $.02...

PastorMikH
06-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Without going in to detail, Joe's family is not a viable option.

Gotcha.

PastorMikH
06-04-2006, 09:47 PM
just curious, why is it necessary to dissolve the 501(c)3?

can't you just let it lay fallow, as it were?

in the remote possibility that someone else down the line might take up the reins, it would be a shame to see the 501(c)3 status just fade away...

it took somebody a lot of time and a fair amount of money to obtain that status with the irs and it has value (which may be of use with a bit of luck)...

just my $.02...

What makes you think that you know about this stuff gramps? Just sit over there in the corner and be quite. The nurse will be by in a little bit to take you to crafts, 'Kay?

:p :p :p :D:D:D

Iowanian
06-04-2006, 09:48 PM
well...

Someone should say it, so I will.

I know those working on the board, have given alot of free time and effort to gain the success 37forever has to date, and I do consider it successful. Thanks for that. I'm not in the area, and don't have the time to pick up the slack, so there is not much I can really do.

I think its a shame to see something with so much potential, to do so much good disolve.

We've spoken of it before....but I still think it would be a good idea if sustained members of this board, were able to prove a need, provide a resource(pool director et al) to fund lessons for underprivileged kids in the region.

Hopefully, a responsible party with time and ambition will be able to step forward and keep pulling the load. If not....

It was worth the effort.

Monkeylook4food
06-04-2006, 10:01 PM
You should speak with Scott, Iowanian. I know you have a couple local kids that specifically needed swimming lessons. Maybe he'll okay some funding. I don't know. I no longer run the thing.

Stinger
06-04-2006, 10:05 PM
My question to those who have served with or on the board of the 37 Foundation is what are/were you trying to do. Were you trying to fund a program that would or could be picked up by area swimming or youth organizations on water safety? Or were you just providing funds for area youth organizations to conduct water safety courses?

BigRedChief
06-05-2006, 06:18 AM
You should speak with Scott, Iowanian. I know you have a couple local kids that specifically needed swimming lessons. Maybe he'll okay some funding. I don't know. I no longer run the thing.

Who are you? Did you have a previous name on here?

StcChief
06-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Who are you? Did you have a previous name on here?
Think it's Phobia

Logical
06-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Think it's PhobiaIt is, he is running an experiment on how new posters are treated.

StcChief
06-05-2006, 10:58 AM
It is, he is running an experiment on how new posters are treated.

I thought so after reading a few threads.... style seemed the same.

If he's looking for 'stupid n00b' comments, he shouldn't have trouble finding them, of course some fit that bill. :p

tomahawk kid
06-05-2006, 01:17 PM
My question to those who have served with or on the board of the 37 Foundation is what are/were you trying to do. Were you trying to fund a program that would or could be picked up by area swimming or youth organizations on water safety? Or were you just providing funds for area youth organizations to conduct water safety courses?

That would be my questions as well.

To echo other comments, I think it would be a shame to see this go away.

What were the biggest issues coupled with your end goal?

Coach
06-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Hopefully there'll be a 37 Forever Foundation. Not only that it's important to remember Joe and what courage he did for the kids, also to help teach kids how to swim. It's also very important to remember that meeting other CP members are also fun and, even though I was a n00b last year, I had a great time, getting to know some of the fellas/gals. I think that it's important for us to at least continue our friendships, or build new friendships.

booger
06-05-2006, 04:30 PM
First off, I hope this doesn't have to end, but even if It does I'd like to take the time to say that it is and was an excellent thing that everyone involved did with this.

Even though I havn't been involved personally I've admired from afar the time and effort a bunch of chiefs fans and what everyone has done with this. Impressive to say the least.

It looks like you are looking for people to take this over and keep it going. I don't have any knowlege of this stuff or any experience in any thing like it. But I would like to throw out a few ideas. Like I said, I no nothing of this type of venture but a few things popped into my head while viewing the thread.

If the goal is to keep the Foundation alive and at least the name of it out there what about talking with someone with the organization?
The only things I know of about the team charities is what I read on the team website and occassional coverage within the KC Star. Are any of you familiar with or have had any contact with the team community relations department or their director Brenda Sniezek?

I don't know but maybe there are players out there that need ideas on what to do with starting up their own foundations. Most of the players take experiences that happened in thier lives and base that on their foundations. Others are started based upon just helping out those in need in general situations.

You have the big names out there but what about the guys that are just hanging on to their spots on the roster each year. Or the new players. I know they have something they call the rookie club that they do with rookies each year to introduce them to community and charitable relations. Heck you even see some of the practice squad players or young vets taking part in these functions.

I guess I don't know what your thoughts are on keeping things going. Maybe there is some way to tie the foundations name and incorporate it into another foundation?

I really don't know what to see other than good luck with everything. Since I am not familiar with anything like this my ideas may seem stupid and I am sure there is alot more to the process and behind the scenes in keeping this going.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Congrats on what everyone has accomplished. Something you should all be very proud of. Best of luck with this.

Tribal Warfare
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Is their a branch in Louisiana that could pick up the slack?

FAX
06-05-2006, 04:41 PM
I just want to say how much I admire you guys for doing this in the first place. Having served on several charitable boards, I understand how difficult this was and the amount of time and energy that must have gone into it.

As others here, I am far too occupied with current matters to take on any additional responsibilities at this time. However, I have an old friend who was very involved in child drowning prevention (due to a family accident) and I plan on speaking with him in regard to what options may be available such as turning the foundation over to another, active organization that might be interested in retaining the name and pursuing the mission. If this effort turns up anything, I'll get in touch with you, Mr. Bob Dole, and let you know.

Again, I bow deeply to all involved and credit you for what you have done. Regardless of how this turns out, those involved should be proud, not saddened.

FAX

booger
06-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Mr. Fax's old friend sounds like an avenue to explore.

That avitar rocks bye the way!

Bob Dole
06-09-2006, 06:14 AM
If the goal is to keep the Foundation alive and at least the name of it out there what about talking with someone with the organization?
The only things I know of about the team charities is what I read on the team website and occassional coverage within the KC Star. Are any of you familiar with or have had any contact with the team community relations department or their director Brenda Sniezek?

Phil and I met at length with the Chiefs PR people two years ago, and while they weren't ever going to stand in the way, they weren't willing to actively and openly support the organization as an "official Chiefs" cause.

Phil might remember more details than I do, but the bttom line was pretty much another dead end.

Bob Dole
06-09-2006, 06:16 AM
As others here, I am far too occupied with current matters to take on any additional responsibilities at this time. However, I have an old friend who was very involved in child drowning prevention (due to a family accident) and I plan on speaking with him in regard to what options may be available such as turning the foundation over to another, active organization that might be interested in retaining the name and pursuing the mission. If this effort turns up anything, I'll get in touch with you, Mr. Bob Dole, and let you know.

Please let me know how the conversation goes.

Stinger
06-09-2006, 08:23 AM

Since this thread was brought back up I was wondering if my question could get answered?

The reason is it seems to me that if you were trying to develop a program that is very time intensive and not cheep. Although if done right their might be a great reward on the back end. If you provide area organizations help with a program they already run it seeems to me that would still meet the criteria for your mission with less of the problems of having to develop a program. Then again that may not what the board or the founders of the foundation had in mind when this was concieved.

Bob Dole
06-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Since this thread was brought back up I was wondering if my question could get answered?

The reason is it seems to me that if you were trying to develop a program that is very time intensive and not cheep. Although if done right their might be a great reward on the back end. If you provide area organizations help with a program they already run it seeems to me that would still meet the criteria for your mission with less of the problems of having to develop a program. Then again that may not what the board or the founders of the foundation had in mind when this was concieved.

We weren't trying to reinvent the wheel. We tried to find a way to make existing summer swim lesson programs available to children whose families might not otherwise be able to afford them.

Stinger
06-09-2006, 05:52 PM
We weren't trying to reinvent the wheel. We tried to find a way to make existing summer swim lesson programs available to children whose families might not otherwise be able to afford them.

Ahhhh thanks for the clarification. Was the foundation trying to reach a certain number of kids or have a quota to fill? Or was it we will try to help as many as we can at the time? Was the main cause of the possible stoppage of the foundation money, time, lack of effort, or all of the above.

Not to be nosey but was the 37 foundation fundraising weekend a success as a fundraiser or not. I am assuming (dangerous I know) that this was the major donor base/event?

If this is too much info for the public forum throw me a smoke (used to be in the fundraising business so to speak) maybe have a lead or two.

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2006, 06:00 PM
have you contacted Delanies former college, and see how they would want to intergrate 37forever on their campus? Get ahold of the college's PR director, and I'm sure they'll find away to keep it alive

Bob Dole
06-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Ahhhh thanks for the clarification. Was the foundation trying to reach a certain number of kids or have a quota to fill? Or was it we will try to help as many as we can at the time? Was the main cause of the possible stoppage of the foundation money, time, lack of effort, or all of the above.

Not to be nosey but was the 37 foundation fundraising weekend a success as a fundraiser or not. I am assuming (dangerous I know) that this was the major donor base/event?

If this is too much info for the public forum throw me a smoke (used to be in the fundraising business so to speak) maybe have a lead or two.

We wanted to put as many through as we could afford. We never really set a specific goal of X children this year, which may have been one of the mistakes.

Others are more qualified to speak to the actual profitability of the weekend events.

Nzoner
06-09-2006, 07:54 PM

I don't think sharing this info on a public forum is too much,in fact I think it's good to show what we've done and what were planning on doing.

I can only speak for St Joe but the Saturday event last year coupled with the donations I was able to raise from some of my local clients netted a little over $2000.This being only my 2nd year here I thought that was rather good.

The biggest challenge I've faced here is getting the local agencies to work with me,so I've since been in contact with the much smaller town of Savannah,Mo just north of me and they were elated.

We are now working on a list of underprivledged kids in this area who will be getting swimming lessons later this Summer at only $25 per kid so we're going to be able to help alot of kids.