PDA

View Full Version : Boerigter making name for himself

Bob Dole
06-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Imagine that. Hope it doesn't end up being another Joe Horn-like situation.

Marc Boerigter was looking for a fresh start in a new offense. The Green Bay Packers were looking for big, physical, fast receivers.

And after Boerigter agreed to a one-year deal in late March, it appears both parties have gotten exactly what they wanted.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Boerigter so far has seemed to be a solid fit for coach Mike McCarthy's West Coast-style offense, displaying the ability to go up and get the football and gain yards after the catch.

He has been able to do so in the team's off-season practices thanks not only to the continued absence of projected No. 3 receiver Rod Gardner, but also because he seems to be quickly developing a level of trust with quarterback Brett Favre.

"Very solid, very consistent," McCarthy said Friday, referring to Boerigter. "Smart guy who plays all three positions. He's definitely what we saw in our evaluation process."

Boerigter arrives in Green Bay after an up-and-down stint with the Kansas City Chiefs that saw him go from featured receiver to afterthought in just four seasons' time.

A 2000 product of tiny Hastings (Neb.) College, Boerigter signed with the Chiefs after a productive two-year stint with the Canadian Football League's Calgary Stampeders that saw him catch 111 passes for 2,023 yards and 19 touchdowns.

In his first season in Kansas City, Boerigter was nothing short of a phenom. He made two starts and caught only 20 passes but finished with 420 yards (21.0 average) and eight touchdowns.

His first start, on Dec. 15, 2002, was his most memorable. Filling in for an injured Johnnie Morton in Denver, Boerigter hauled in five passes for 144 yards and two touchdowns, including a 99-yarder that set a Chiefs record and tied a National Football League record.

From there, though, Boerigter tailed off. He made just 11 catches for 158 yards the next season, and missed the entire 2004 season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee late in the exhibition season.

He made it back for the 2005 season but was active for only 10 games and had eight catches for 119 yards.

By then, the handwriting was already on the wall.

"I think I fell out of favor there a little bit. Looking back on it, I don't know if Kansas City was the best fit for me overall in terms of the offense," said Boerigter, 28. "They put a lot of stock when I was there in smaller, faster guys. My first year there they used me in ways that my talents are best utilized, in terms of getting down the field and in the red zone and things like that, and my numbers reflected that.

"The next few years, they dropped off a little bit. It wasn't so much anything else, it was just I didn't see the ball as much and I didn't get put in the same situations I did in my first year."

The Seattle Seahawks, New England Patriots and Packers all expressed interest in Boerigter once he left Kansas City, with Green Bay needing to protect itself in the event Javon Walker would not be available and Terrence Murphy would not be able to return from a neck injury.

With neither of those situations sorted out by the time he decided to sign with the Packers, Boerigter was nonetheless sold on the opportunity to play in a receiver-friendly system with Favre pulling the trigger.

"They made no bones about it when I came to visit that they were looking for big, physical guys that can run and I definitely fit that mold," said Boerigter, who ran a 4.47-second 40-yard dash in 2000 and appears to be fully recovered from his knee injury. "I definitely think I can help this team win some games. That's the reason I came here. It's the best fit for me offensively with the scheme and everything else. "

With both Walker and Murphy out of the picture by the team's first off-season minicamp, Boerigter figured to fit in behind Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, Gardner and second-round pick Greg Jennings.

Ferguson has been injury-prone throughout his previous five years, though, Gardner has been MIA and Jennings is a rookie. All that, plus a growing bond with Favre, could allow Boerigter a chance to move up in the pecking order before long.

Boerigter's biggest challenge to this point has been learning the offense and the nuances of the receiver position as they're taught in Green Bay.

"It's a bit of an adjustment period for me here," he said. "I'm feeling more and more comfortable every day. It's just a situation where you kind of have to de-program yourself from the stuff you've been doing the last four years and learn something new."

It's a process Boerigter was happy to endure, though, seeing as he thinks he's finally going to get a fair shot to show what he can do on the field.

"I felt most comfortable here and felt I had the best opportunity here to get back on the field," he said. "So far I'm happy with my decision and it's going well."

Source (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=431221)

jlscorpio
06-03-2006, 07:20 PM
he's no Jeris McIntyre

listopencil
06-03-2006, 07:20 PM
In my ESPN NFL2K game I immediately traded Quentin Griffin to you guys for Boerigter and started him opposite Rod Smith. He kicked virtual ass for me ever since.

chiefsfaninNC
06-03-2006, 07:26 PM
He will be injured before the season starts.

Ultra Peanut
06-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Best of luck, Bo.

morphius
06-03-2006, 07:49 PM
"I think I fell out of favor there a little bit. Looking back on it, I don't know if Kansas City was the best fit for me overall in terms of the offense," said Boerigter, 28. "They put a lot of stock when I was there in smaller, faster guys. My first year there they used me in ways that my talents are best utilized, in terms of getting down the field and in the red zone and things like that, and my numbers reflected that.

"The next few years, they dropped off a little bit. It wasn't so much anything else, it was just I didn't see the ball as much and I didn't get put in the same situations I did in my first year."

The bold is pretty much BS, he had a horrible case of the sophmore jinx, dropping every pass that hit him in the hands. Then he missed a good chunk of time with injuries.

Not that there isn't some potential there and not that the screen passes to Dante were not stupid, but some of the blame is his.

Bob Dole
06-03-2006, 07:58 PM
The bold is pretty much BS, he had a horrible case of the sophmore jinx, dropping every pass that hit him in the hands. Then he missed a good chunk of time with injuries.

Didn't they end up making excuses for the drops by saying he had some sort of previously undiagnosed vision problem?

morphius
06-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Didn't they end up making excuses for the drops by saying he had some sort of previously undiagnosed vision problem?
Nope, he said it had nothing to do with that, it was just mentioned as something that needed to be taken care of.

go bowe
06-03-2006, 09:07 PM
yeah, bo said the vision deal didn't effect his play one way or the other, before or after...

he did have a horrible soph year, but i expect him to be a serviceable receiver for the pack, particularly since he can play all 3 receiver positions...

i wish him the best of luck in gb...

Mecca
06-03-2006, 09:10 PM
It's not even remotely similiar to the Joe Horn situation. Horn never got a shot to play, Boerigter had has shot didn't impress, time to move on.

chief2000
06-03-2006, 09:17 PM
He's not a 4.4 guy anymore.

Mecca
06-03-2006, 09:18 PM
I wonder if anyone will start a thread about how it was a bad move to let Chris Horn go.

Bob Dole
06-03-2006, 09:26 PM
It's not even remotely similiar to the Joe Horn situation. Horn never got a shot to play, Boerigter had has shot didn't impress, time to move on.

Bob Dole has killed a lot of brain cells so doesn't remember a lot of details, but wasn't Horn used primarily as a 3rd-down possession receiver and released because he wasn't considered a "go to guy"?

Bob Dole's statement was meant to convey that Bob Dole thinks that we've historically misused a lot of players that had ability--not that Horn and Boe were similar players.

rad
06-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Bo lost his burst....

Mecca
06-03-2006, 09:28 PM
From what I remember, they'd put Horn in and try to throw the deep ball to him.

Rain Man
06-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Bob Dole has killed a lot of brain cells so doesn't remember a lot of details, but wasn't Horn used primarily as a 3rd-down possession receiver and released because he wasn't considered a "go to guy"?

Bob Dole's statement was meant to convey that Bob Dole thinks that we've historically misused a lot of players that had ability--not that Horn and Boe were similar players.

I recall thinking at the time that Joe Horn clearly had more talent than Kevin Lockett, but he was asking for starter money and Lockett wasn't. In my uninformed opinion, the Chiefs let Horn go despite him showing much more potential, because they thought Lockett was a better value. Horn clearly was the better receiver as a Chief, even though neither was a starter at the time the decision was made.

Mecca
06-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Kevin Lockett......what a bum that guy was.

Claynus
06-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Poor Bo...I always liked him. I'm so racist.

morphius
06-03-2006, 10:05 PM

I seem to remember that we only tried to use Horn on long passes when he was cold coming off the bench.

Mr. Laz
06-03-2006, 10:30 PM
with favre's arm and in a more vertical offense boe might explode.

stevieray
06-03-2006, 10:36 PM
with favre's arm and in a more vertical offense boe might explode.

I agree.

I don't thnk Al Saunders liked him. I asked Al about Bo last year in River Falls, his demeanor changed and he said he had to make the team first.

:shake:

digi2fish
06-03-2006, 10:37 PM
I smell a "dammit carl"...

KCBOSS1
06-03-2006, 10:42 PM
It's my understanding that Trent was pulling for him to be in the line up more. This is going to prove out to be a bonehead decision for us....wait and see.

go bowe
06-03-2006, 10:47 PM
I smell a "dammit carl"...hey, didge...

how's things on the other side of the world?

offseason is slow for chiefs news, but overall i'm optimistic about our defense improving...

what do you think of our first two picks this year?

tamba hali appears to be the real deal, just like dj did last year at this time...

and i heard benard pollard say he can play either safety position on an wpi podcast...

i'm looking for good things from both of them...

ChiefsFan1965
06-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I had a Chief sighting at Yahooz on 118th & Roe a week ago Thursday. It was Trent & Boerigter with their wives. I agree with the earlier post that Trent probably wanted Bo to get more playing time but must've been vetoed by the higher ups....both seem like nice guys. I thought Bo would continue to be very useful to the Chiefs as a special/teams & WR combo but I guess we'll see how he does in Green Bay.

greg63
06-03-2006, 11:12 PM
I wish we could have held on to him, but I only recall one productive season with Bo.

SNR
06-04-2006, 12:03 AM
In my ESPN NFL2K game I immediately traded Quentin Griffin to you guys for Boerigter and started him opposite Rod Smith. He kicked virtual ass for me ever since.Fool! Kris Wilson is where it's at, bitch!

jspchief
06-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Boerigter is now on a team that is in desperate need for a WR, playing with a QB that makes a lot of crappy wideouts look very good.

Even if he does have success in GB, it's hard to say he would have had similar success here. But I seriously doubt he's going to get many snaps with Ferguson, Driver, and Gardner ahead of him.

StcChief
06-04-2006, 06:10 AM
Talking to BO's uncle after his injury (2003?) he was saying getting back on track was taking longer and Chiefs seemed concerned.

We will see Good luck with Farve for a year or two.

Bowser
06-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Wasn't Joe Horn connected in some way to the whole Tamarick Vanover/Bam Morris thing? I seem to want to remember it that way, and that was part of why he was released.

FAX
06-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I always liked Bo for some reason. I hope he does well in GB.

Do we have a problem developing wide outs?

FAX

StcChief
06-04-2006, 10:27 AM
I always liked Bo for some reason. I hope he does well in GB.

Do we have a problem developing wide outs?

FAXNo we have problems keeping them happy.....

With Saunders gone maybe that will change.

jettio
06-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Players that recover from ACL injuries usually take two seasons to get back in form.

I think his vision problems did impact his performance in 2003.

I think he will do well at Green Bay if he is truly recovered from the knee injury.

He was big on special teams in 2002 and 2003 whether he was getting passes thrown his way or not.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-04-2006, 10:47 AM
"His first start, on Dec. 15, 2002, was his most memorable. Filling in for an injured Johnnie Morton in Denver, Boerigter hauled in five passes for 144 yards and two touchdowns, including a 99-yarder that set a Chiefs record and tied a National Football League record."

I would have swore that 99-yarder was against the Bolts

Bowser
06-04-2006, 10:50 AM
"His first start, on Dec. 15, 2002, was his most memorable. Filling in for an injured Johnnie Morton in Denver, Boerigter hauled in five passes for 144 yards and two touchdowns, including a 99-yarder that set a Chiefs record and tied a National Football League record."

I would have swore that 99-yarder was against the Bolts

It was.

Frazod
06-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Sucks that he ended up with the Packers. :shake:

StcChief
06-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Players that recover from ACL injuries usually take two seasons to get back in form.

I think his vision problems did impact his performance in 2003.

I think he will do well at Green Bay if he is truly recovered from the knee injury.

He was big on special teams in 2002 and 2003 whether he was getting passes thrown his way or not.

ACL is a big deal....I guess he was 'damaged goods' to KC.

With Farve he will do well in GB. If Farve isn't running for his life.
NFC-N comp isn't that great except Bears.

Cochise
06-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Well, I wish him luck, but he's going to have to do something huge over the course of a year to convince me he's anything other than a guy who hasn't caught a touchdown pass in 3 years, and couldn't get active on gameday under the likes of Chris Horn, et al.

Frazod
06-04-2006, 11:00 AM
ACL is a big deal....I guess he was 'damaged goods' to KC.

With Farve he will do well in GB. If Farve isn't running for his life.
NFC-N comp isn't that great except Bears.

I like the Bears, but they're way overrated. Their alleged vaunted defense folded like a cheap tent in the playoffs in the face of real competition.

The NFC North is the worst division in the NFL. Boe should have a great year if he can stay healthy.

StcChief
06-04-2006, 11:04 AM
I like the Bears, but they're way overrated. Their alleged vaunted defense folded like a cheap tent in the playoffs in the face of real competition.

The NFC North is the worst division in the NFL. Boe should have a great year if he can stay healthy.

My buddy big Bears fan.
There is an actually Bar 'HotShots' caters to Bears fans in St.Charles MO. LOL pisses the Lambs fans off in there.

We watch Bears/Chiefs in there.

They were missing starting CB in play offs. Dont recall name.

They folded at the end. though. Good year for Lovie Smith team.....
They should win NFCN this year.

KCBOSS1
06-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, I wish him luck, but he's going to have to do something huge over the course of a year to convince me he's anything other than a guy who hasn't caught a touchdown pass in 3 years, and couldn't get active on gameday under the likes of Chris Horn, et al.

He looked good in the few games that he got any action in as of late. I think that coaches get a mindset about a guy and it doesn't make any difference what he does, he isn't going to get enough opportunity to prove it out. You have to get opportunities to get over the nerves and he never got it........It's GOING TO BITE US LIKE THE JOE HORN THING!:banghead:

PastorMikH
06-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Imagine that. Hope it doesn't end up being another Joe Horn-like situation.

Wouldn't surprise me if it did. I liked Bo and think he has the potential to be an impact player. Seemed like when he was the new unheard-of, DV was for giving him every chance. But it seems that he kinda got into DV's dog house and there were other long-shot projects, he really wasn't given much of a chance last year after coming back from his injury. When he was in and a ball did happen to be thrown his way, he'd catch it then get yanked for the rest of the quarter while, on the other side of the field, Parker would have 3rd and 10 pass bounce of the numbers on his chest, smile, and get another chance to miss 3 more catches in the next series.

morphius
06-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Of course if Bo had issues catching Trent's passes, how is he gonna catch the rocket passes that Farve throws?

Its good to see the guy getting a show somewhere that will actually use him, maybe the move up the depth chart will give him the practice he needs to take his game to the next level.

Of course if he does succeed maybe we can use it as another point against that OC we just lost, and place him right next to LJ...

PastorMikH
06-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Of course if Bo had issues catching Trent's passes, how is he gonna catch the rocket passes that Farve throws?

I don't really care what Bo says about the eye problems NOT affecting his performance, if you can't judge distance and are seeing double, it will affect your ability to catch. I think he was trying to not let it be an excuse for his sophmore slump. Since the surgery, he was catching percentage was up considerable.

As for Favre's passes, if he doesn't concentrate, it won't take too many passes for him to learn to keep his eye on the ball.

rtmike
06-04-2006, 01:40 PM

K. Bell is next.

ChiefsCountry
06-04-2006, 01:55 PM
If I remember correctly didnt the Chiefs put Joe Horn in on short yardage situations as the only wideout in two-tight end sets. Also we didnt cut him, he left as an UFA.

Extra Point
06-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Bo wasn't afraid to get laid out. That's why GB took him. Passes from either Favre or a young QB is why they got him, and got him cheap. Very worthwhile investment for GB.

Good luck to Bo!

morphius
06-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I really never understood not using him more in the red zone, I mean really which target would you pick on the goal line Dante Hall or Bo?

jspchief
06-04-2006, 03:38 PM
I really never understood not using him more in the red zone, I mean really which target would you pick on the goal line Dante Hall or Bo?DV or Al's obsession with small receivers was always frustrating to me.

Mecca
06-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Apparently Boerigter is still the great white hope to alot of people around here.......

He had his shot, if he couldn't crack the starting lineup with the WR's we're sporting call me unimpressed and unconcerned about him leaving.

jspchief
06-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Apparently Boerigter is still the great white hope to alot of people around here.......

He had his shot, if he couldn't crack the starting lineup with the WR's we're sporting call me unimpressed and unconcerned about him leaving.I agree. If he couldn't get on the field over Chris Horn, he's no loss.

morphius
06-04-2006, 03:54 PM
DV or Al's obsession with small receivers was always frustrating to me.
I don't mind small, fast, WR's, but I can't stand lots of WR screens just to get the ball in a guys hands. Small, fast guys have to be hit running 1-1 with someone.

Spicy McHaggis
06-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Ironically most of the new WR's we've brought in this offseason are the bigger type and not the fast twitch guys. I think Bo could have had good success for us had he stayed here and remained healthy but realistically he's nothing probably more than a No.3 receiver.

Skip Towne
06-04-2006, 04:11 PM
He's "makin a name for himself"? I hadn't noticed.

listopencil
06-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Fool! Kris Wilson is where it's at, bitch!

He wasn't drafted yet and the assholes at EA have the exclusive license now.

listopencil
06-04-2006, 05:28 PM
He's "makin a name for himself"? I hadn't noticed.

Yep. And that name is...Boerigter?