PDA

View Full Version : I bet the Chiefs dont make any major moves the next few seasons

ChiefsCountry
06-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm talking free agency wise. With the new stadium renovations going on I bet they will be strapped for cash. I know most of you think Lamar is a bottomless money pit but they have a budget just like any other business. Probally lots of changes with front office help, maintenance, coaches, and the other things that takes to run the team.

Moooo
06-03-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm talking free agency wise. With the new stadium renovations going on I bet they will be strapped for cash. I know most of you think Lamar is a bottomless money pit but they have a budget just like any other business. Probally lots of changes with front office help, maintenance, coaches, and the other things that takes to run the team.

I think with the salary cap, all owners in the NFL are able to show proficiency to be able to spend all cap worth. Since all that stuff is a side note, I don't see a problem.

Especially considering, if I'm not mistaken, shared revenue ends up being like 80% of the cap, no?

Moooo

ChiefsCountry
06-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Player salaries come from tv money but signing bonuses come from Lamar's pocket.

Monkeylook4food
06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Player salaries come from tv money but signing bonuses come from Lamar's pocket.

Lamar fronts the cash but it still comes out of the salary cap for future years.

It's kinda like when I have to buy a new truck for my business. I cough up $30k but my customers pay for it the next few years.

Simply Red
06-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Again. The only concern by the Financial Officers is selling out the stadium, not championships. Known this for years.

Mecca
06-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't particulary buy this concept, they'll have to do something to keep the stands full. Without free agency this team would be horrible, we don't exactly draft well.

noa
06-03-2006, 10:25 PM
We've never been the team to go out and sign the biggest free agent on the market, which is fine with me. I don't mind only getting a couple acquisitions a year an being more focused on the system we use and the mentality we create, like the Patriots. Not that we're anywhere near as good as the Patriots, but my point is that they seem to get by just fine without making major off-season moves every year.

rad
06-03-2006, 10:26 PM

After the Ty Law signing, of course :D

Mecca
06-03-2006, 10:27 PM
We've never been the team to go out and sign the biggest free agent on the market, which is fine with me. I don't mind only getting a couple acquisitions a year an being more focused on the system we use and the mentality we create, like the Patriots. Not that we're anywhere near as good as the Patriots, but my point is that they seem to get by just fine without making major off-season moves every year.

That theory is fine if you draft well enough to build the core of the team......so far we haven't.

noa
06-03-2006, 10:29 PM
That theory is fine if you draft well enough to build the core of the team......so far we haven't.

Agreed....just saying that our problems won't be solved by free agency. Unless, of course, we sign Ty Law and let him and Rich Scanlon lead us all the way to glory.

milkman
06-03-2006, 10:32 PM

Actually the Patriots very rarely sign any big names.

They usually just sign 2nd tier FAs that fit the system.

The Chiefs, on the other hand, have fairly consistently paid big money contracts to bigger names, that have rarely worked out.

noa
06-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Actually the Patriots very rarely sign any big names.

They usually just sign 2nd tier FAs that fit the system.

The Chiefs, on the other hand, have fairly consistently paid big money contracts to bigger names, that have rarely worked out.

Yeah, we've definitely overpaid players and made some big mistakes that we're still paying for, but we're not like the Redskins who just sign the biggest names available every year.

beer bacon
06-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Like others have said, I wouldn't mind toning down our activity in FA if we started drafting well. Hali, Pollard, and Croyle panning out would be a good start.

Hell, if three years from now all of those guys are solid starters then I would be ecstatic. I don't know when the last time that happened for us.