PDA

View Full Version : Heat vs. Mavs

Chiefs Pantalones
06-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Which team will win their first NBA title?

Halfcan
06-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Heat, but I would not be unhappy if Dallas won-its my second home. I have family down there rooting for the Mavs.

Should be a kickass series!!

Mecca
06-04-2006, 03:19 AM
It would be better for the league if Dallas won....more teams playing like the Mavs and Suns would greatly increase interest in the game from casual fans.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2006, 07:12 AM
Go Mavs!

milkman
06-04-2006, 08:15 AM
It would be better for the league if Dallas won....more teams playing like the Mavs and Suns would greatly increase interest in the game from casual fans.

No doubt.

The NBA lost some of it's fan appeal when the Pistons won the NBA title with thugs like Lambier and Sally, and teams started emulating that style.

These "defensive" teams are just mugging their opponents, and the officials just allow it.

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 10:53 AM
miami wont be able to put up points with the mavs

mavs take it in 5 with scores like mid 90s - low 80s

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 10:54 AM
oh and the best player in this series is dirk nowitzki not the rent a cop or flop

58-4ever
06-04-2006, 10:56 AM
oh and the best player in this series is dirk nowitzki not the rent a cop or flop

Dwayne Wade is 1b then. He is not that far away from being the best player in the league.

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 11:00 AM
no flop is not even 1b...nor is he top 5 in the nba

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 11:01 AM
nash
kobe
kg
queen lebitch james
ai

Frazod
06-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I really don't care, but on principal alone I could never root for any Dallas team.

KcMizzou
06-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Generally Mark Cuban doesn't bother me. But I'll bet we're sick of hearing about him by the time this series is over.

58-4ever
06-04-2006, 11:26 AM
nash
kobe
kg
queen lebitch james
ai

your and idiot. He shoots 70% in the conference finals as a guard. That's pretty good. Kobe takes 25 shots to score 35, Wade takes 18. He gets to the foul line more than anyone besides Paul Pierce. In today's NBA, getting to the foul line is vital. AI? Are you kidding me? I am a huge fan, but he is not in Wade's league right now. Nash?? Phoenix proved that you can't win championships with that style of basketball. KG? What has he done in the playoffs lately? The only argument that might be valid is James.

58-4ever
06-04-2006, 11:28 AM
I really don't care, but on principal alone I could never root for any Dallas team.

I agree. In fact, I can't even root for teams from Texas.

Frazod
06-04-2006, 11:34 AM

Good point.

FAX
06-04-2006, 11:49 AM
This is a tough one. I'm having difficulty generating any significant interest.

Root for Cuban's team or the one with the giant, lumbering oaf?

FAX

Mecca
06-04-2006, 04:11 PM
your and idiot. He shoots 70% in the conference finals as a guard. That's pretty good. Kobe takes 25 shots to score 35, Wade takes 18. He gets to the foul line more than anyone besides Paul Pierce. In today's NBA, getting to the foul line is vital. AI? Are you kidding me? I am a huge fan, but he is not in Wade's league right now. Nash?? Phoenix proved that you can't win championships with that style of basketball. KG? What has he done in the playoffs lately? The only argument that might be valid is James.

If you really just said that Wade is better than Nash you're basically losing the arguement for youself. Wade is a borderline top 5 player, even if you hate Kobe Bryant with a passion he's the best player in the league now.

Spicy McHaggis
06-04-2006, 04:16 PM
I think the Heat wins but I'm rooting for the Mavs. Shaq has his rings and Wade is going to get plenty of more chances for postseason glory.

Mecca
06-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Personally I think all Dallas has to do is run.....They can run alot of the Heat players off the floor.....namely Shaq.

Moooo
06-04-2006, 04:24 PM

Although not my main alligence, I'll root for the Longhorns. Also, Jere Lehtinen for the Stars is flat out AWESOME.

Other than that, and I'm like you. Though I will root for the Stros when they're playing the Cards, it's only out of spite.

Moooo

ChiefsCountry
06-04-2006, 04:48 PM
The Heat, Wade is best player in this series, but Shaq is the main reason the Heat will win.

Also Wade is a top 5 player. Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, Garnett, then Wade. He is about as complete player you can find in the league.

Moooo
06-04-2006, 04:50 PM
The Heat, Wade is best player in this series, but Shaq is the main reason the Heat will win.

Also Wade is a top 5 player. Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, Garnett, then Wade. He is about as complete player you can find in the league.

This is very true. Pat Riley and Shaq both know what to do in the Finals. But they also aren't as good of a team as the Mavs. I think, though, that Dirk is just turning into a monster here the last few games. If this is an indication of how he's gonna keep playing, this game will be over.

I also think these games will be high-scoring affairs, mostly over 100 points.

Moooo

noa
06-04-2006, 05:07 PM

Wade might be the best athelete in the series, and may end up having a better overall career than anyone on the Mavs, but right now, Dirkalurka is unstoppable and he has been getting to the free throw line like a madman during the playoffs. That really takes the other team out of the game. He creates a real matchup problem for the Heat, while the Mavs have a few guys they can throw at Wade to slow him down.

My top 5 players in the league: Kobe, Dirkalurka, Billups, Lebron, Nash

This will change in a few years and Wade will enter the top 5, but I don't think he's there yet. Kobe, obviously, has to be there (81 points, nuf said). Dirk led his team through a great transition to get to where they are. Billups has to get cred for leading the Pistons and being so consistent, and for making clutch shots. LeBron did the most with the least of anyone in the league. And finally, Nash lost Stoudamire, QRichardson, and Joe Johnson, and still led his team to a great season.
DWade is definitely the man and there's no doubting his talents, but I just can't put him above any of these players, at least for this year. Even if he wins it all, I can't say he's better than any of those 5 players I listed.

ChiefsCountry
06-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm not on the Nash bandwagon. He is good, but he isnt top 5 material. Dirk is the same way. Billups? Come on man, he isnt even the best player on the Pistons.

noa
06-04-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm not on the Nash bandwagon. He is good, but he isnt top 5 material. Dirk is the same way. Billups? Come on man, he isnt even the best player on the Pistons.

The Pistons have won 50 games four seasons in a row. IMO, the leader of the team gets the credit for that. Also, look at the MVP voting this year. Billups received many more votes, including 15 for first place, than Wade. Not that the voting means everything, but it at least shows that I am not the only person who thinks Billups is great.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Heat in 6.

the Talking Can
06-04-2006, 06:06 PM
The Pistons have won 50 games four seasons in a row. IMO, the leader of the team gets the credit for that. Also, look at the MVP voting this year. Billups received many more votes, including 15 for first place, than Wade. Not that the voting means everything, but it at least shows that I am not the only person who thinks Billups is great.

Wade schooled Billups.

No one on the pistons could stop Wade.

Simply Red
06-04-2006, 06:10 PM

D.N. 13 pts. in game 5. Sounds like a flop to me. Who's going to guard D.W.? Jason Terry? ROFL

Simply Red
06-04-2006, 06:14 PM
no flop is not even 1b...nor is he top 5 in the nba

Idiot quote of the day. referring to D. Wade

noa
06-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Wade schooled Billups.

No one on the pistons could stop Wade.

Fair enough.

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 06:20 PM
im going to start listing people better then wade
kobe
nash
kg
dirk
vince carter
tim duncan
lebron
elton brand

KevB
06-04-2006, 07:34 PM
kobe
nash
kg
dirk
vince carter
tim duncan
lebron
elton brand

Vince Carter? Hahahahahahaha......

Has he decided to play hard for NJ yet? He's a joke and always will be, no matter what his stats are. The minute he admitted to not playing hard in Toronto to facilitate a trade, he lost the opportunity to be in any of these types of discussions.

We need to define what we mean by top 5. If I were starting a team today, and wanted to take the 5 best players in the league individually, it's Kobe, LeBron, Dirk, Duncan and Wade....simple as that. KG, Elton, AI and Nash are in the next 5.

Nash is great, but he's been put in the perfect situation in Phoenix, with a coach who built an offense for his skills. A great mix no doubt, but I don't think worthy of top 5 status. He doesn't play a lick of defense, and that has to count for something.

Wade does it all. He gets into the lane anytime he wants, creates for teammates, scores, has developed a very good mid range game, rebounds, blocks some shots and defends like crazy (very good from the weakside).

Dirk, in these playoffs, is playing arguably better than anyone in the league right now. He's become an assasin down the stretch, which is the mark of a truly elite player.

Duncan, when healthy, can still dominate a game on either end, shown by his game 7 showing against Dallas.

Kobe is the best individual player on the planet right now, but has marks against him for questionable character.

LeBron is learning to harness the most talent in one body I've seen since, well, I don't know when. People already take for granted what this guy does. He scores, assists, rebounds, defends, and brings the ball up the court 75% of the time. He's truly an amazing player with an unbelievable future.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2006, 07:50 PM
The Pistons have won 50 games four seasons in a row.

I think Dallas has done that for 5 seasons in a row now... twice in the 60's I think.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-04-2006, 07:59 PM

Dude, the only reason the Mavs are in the Finals is because they DON'T play like the Suns or the way they themselves use to. They play defense now. They are more of a half court/run when the opportunity presents itself team, now. Dirk doesn't just spot up 3 point shoot anymore, he does it all. Drives, posts, is a good passer, etc. He rarely even takes threes anymore, and that's goes for the rest of the team as well. Defense is still the name of the game, same with football, baseball, etc.

The main reason why Detroit is home now is because they couldn't get hot from the field, and combined with mediocre defense, they are watching the finals on TV. The Heat are playing great ball at the right time. Not only is their scoring up, but they are playing great D as well.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I don't know if I can watch the finals... Mavs/Spurs and Mavs/Suns freaking wore me out with the tight games.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-04-2006, 08:01 PM

Has he decided to play hard for NJ yet? He's a joke and always will be, no matter what his stats are. The minute he admitted to not playing hard in Toronto to facilitate a trade, he lost the opportunity to be in any of these types of discussions.

We need to define what we mean by top 5. If I were starting a team today, and wanted to take the 5 best players in the league individually, it's Kobe, LeBron, Dirk, Duncan and Wade....simple as that. KG, Elton, AI and Nash are in the next 5.

Nash is great, but he's been put in the perfect situation in Phoenix, with a coach who built an offense for his skills. A great mix no doubt, but I don't think worthy of top 5 status. He doesn't play a lick of defense, and that has to count for something.

Wade does it all. He gets into the lane anytime he wants, creates for teammates, scores, has developed a very good mid range game, rebounds, blocks some shots and defends like crazy (very good from the weakside).

Dirk, in these playoffs, is playing arguably better than anyone in the league right now. He's become an assasin down the stretch, which is the mark of a truly elite player.

Duncan, when healthy, can still dominate a game on either end, shown by his game 7 showing against Dallas.

Kobe is the best individual player on the planet right now, but has marks against him for questionable character.

LeBron is learning to harness the most talent in one body I've seen since, well, I don't know when. People already take for granted what this guy does. He scores, assists, rebounds, defends, and brings the ball up the court 75% of the time. He's truly an amazing player with an unbelievable future.

Wade is pretty good player, but he'll take it to another level when he steps up the defense, and becomes more of a 3 point threat. Threes aren't that important, but the threat of being able to knock em' down is so vital, IMO, to a player of this calibre.

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 08:36 PM
I think Dallas has done that for 5 seasons in a row now... twice in the 60's I think.

detroits been the the eastern conf finals all four of those years

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 08:39 PM
i want to see what wade would do if he didnt have the rent a cop on his team...i bet you it wouldnt be as easy for him to drive to the hole

NJ Chief Fan
06-04-2006, 08:43 PM
The main reason why Detroit is home now is because they couldn't get hot from the field, and combined with mediocre defense, they are watching the finals on TV. The Heat are playing great ball at the right time. Not only is their scoring up, but they are playing great D as well.

ive come to conclusion that detroits starting 5 was tired...flip worked them to much during the regular season, i also believe that flip saunders isnt the right guy to be coaching the pistons, for some reason i think that the pistons would be the best place for coach k to come to if he were ever to come to the nba

chubychecker
06-04-2006, 09:02 PM
i want to see what wade would do if he didnt have the rent a cop on his team...i bet you it wouldnt be as easy for him to drive to the hole

I wonder the opposite; how shaq would do if he wasn't playing alongside a legitimate star. Dwade was becoming a great player before shaq ever came to the heat. How did the heat do in the playoffs last year after wade got injured??? not too good if I remember correctly. Without shaq the heat are still a threat to win. Without wade they would be bounced in 4.

My top 5.
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Dirk
Nash

Honorable mention: Duncan, Elton Brand, arenas, KG, . KG really had a tough year last year. Hopefully he will be traded to my team the lal.

KevB
06-04-2006, 09:06 PM

Shaq has missed plenty of games the last couple of years, and Wade wasn't hampered a bit. He just has an uncanny ability to get by the man defending him and the guy assigned to help. He's like a great running back who sees the second guy, knowing the first guy is already beat.

Mecca
Dude, the only reason the Mavs are in the Finals is because they DON'T play like the Suns or the way they themselves use to. They play defense now. They are more of a half court/run when the opportunity presents itself team, now. Dirk doesn't just spot up 3 point shoot anymore, he does it all. Drives, posts, is a good passer, etc. He rarely even takes threes anymore, and that's goes for the rest of the team as well. Defense is still the name of the game, same with football, baseball, etc.

The Mavs are still alot more fun than any of the teams in the East....watching Detroit and Miami is just flat out boring.

CoMoChief
No doubt.

The NBA lost some of it's fan appeal when the Pistons won the NBA title with thugs like Lambier and Sally, and teams started emulating that style.

These "defensive" teams are just mugging their opponents, and the officials just allow it.

I wouldnt say it goes back that far in time. The guy I think changed as far as spectators go when Michael Jordan retired from the Bulls the 2nd time. At least I can say that for myself, when MJ retired from the NBA, my eyes retired from watching it.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-04-2006, 09:12 PM
I wouldnt say it goes back that far in time. The guy I think changed as far as spectators go when Michael Jordan retired from the Bulls the 2nd time. At least I can say that for myself, when MJ retired from the NBA, my eyes retired from watching it.

Yeah, I don't think the NBA has been the same since MJ retired. I still watch it, but don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Although...the playoffs this year have been the best in quite some time...the best since the Jordan era, IMO. But nothing will ever beat when MJ and the Bulls were together.

ChiefsCountry
06-04-2006, 09:24 PM

You dont remember the year before Shaq do you? Wade did a pretty good job as a rookie.

Spicy McHaggis
06-04-2006, 09:57 PM
ive come to conclusion that detroits starting 5 was tired...flip worked them to much during the regular season

The Pistons were on cruise control long before anyone else was in the regular season. They just couldn't flip the switch back on and take care of business. At least we don't have to hear Rasheed run his mouth anymore.

milkman
06-04-2006, 10:07 PM

Yeah, people watched MJ, but lost interest in the rest of the NBA for most part.

58-4ever
06-04-2006, 10:32 PM
kobe
nash
kg
dirk
vince carter
tim duncan
lebron
elton brand

Why the hate for Wade? Who's your team? Nash is a defensive liability. Vince Carter? That pussy took his last few years in Toronto off. He gets lazy and settles for jumpers which has cost his teams playoff series'.

Elton Brand is good, but not quite in Wade's caliber.

KG - As I previously stated, he has done nothing of late; particularly in the playoffs.

You could make a case for the others, but I have rarely seen Kobe shoot 70 percent in a series. Maybe never.

Dirk - has stepped it up lately, but has been known to be a liability on defense and is knocked for his lack of aggressiveness. However, this year he has been a beast.

Duncan - great player; multiple rings; also showing age.

Lebron - This is the guy who you could make an argument for. Needs to get better defensively.

KcMizzou
06-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Duncan - great player; multiple rings; also showing age.
Man does that make me feel old. It doesn't seem long ago that he was at Wake Forrest.

chiefs4me
06-04-2006, 11:38 PM
of course the mavs will win....:D

Miles
06-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Man does that make me feel old. It doesn't seem long ago that he was at Wake Forrest.

Just turned 30 so he really isn't that old. His nagging injuries have made him look like he is declining.

CoMoChief
06-05-2006, 02:12 AM
I'm gonna say this about the entire series.....Heat will win 4-2. Nobody on the Mavs roster can even come close to shutting down Shaq and the Mavs can not and will not play any defense against the Heat. People say the Mavs played defense this season which they didnt, they still allow 97 points a game. If Rip Hamilton couldnt slow down Wade what makes people think that ANYONE on the Mavs is going to. I Wouldnt be surprised if the Heat win it 4-0, but I will say 4-2 just because of home court etc....

Hammock Parties
06-05-2006, 02:26 AM
People say the Mavs played defense this season which they didnt, they still allow 97 points a game.

WHAT?

The Mavericks ranked 4th in their conference in defensive scoring average (93 points a game, BTW, not 97). Right behind SAN ANTONIO. They were also in the top three in rebounding in their conference.

For crying out loud, did you even watch game six? The Mavericks had a horrible defensive first quarter and were down by 15. They had to claw their way back into the game and they did it with defense. The Suns only scored 37 points in the second and third quarters.

They held Phoenix under 90 in game three and under 100 in game two. This was the team that LED THE LEAGUE IN SCORING.

The Mavericks played great defense all year and in the playoffs. And BTW, Miami gave up more points per game.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Shaq vs Dampier and Diop is going to be a heck of a matchup. Dampier is rested as hell, he barely played against the Suns.

Lzen
06-05-2006, 08:29 AM
D.N. 13 pts. in game 5. Sounds like a flop to me. Who's going to guard D.W.? Jason Terry? ROFL

That was 11 points and that was in game 4, dumbass. Dirk was settling for a lot of tough shots and passing the ball because the Suns were doubling and tripling him. Need I remind you that he came out the next game and took over, leading the scoringm (and his team to a victory) with 50 points?

Lzen
06-05-2006, 08:36 AM

Very good post. I agree with pretty much everything you said. Especially about Nash's defense, or lack thereof.
:clap:

Lzen
06-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Thank you, GC for correcting that idiotic post by BSPD. I don't think he's watched the Mavs this year.
I've been saying it since the playoffs began....I don't really have one favorite NBA team since there's no teams close to me. But there are a few teams that I like to root for. The Suns and Mavs were 2 of those that I wanted to win this year. I said from the beginning that if the Suns and Mavs met in the Western Conference Finals, I wanted the Mavs to win because they play better defense and stood a better chance of knocking off whatever team the East threw at them. I still stand by that and, thankfully, that's the way it has worked out so far.

Avery Johnson has given Dallas a new attitude, especially on the defensive end. I think the Finals will go 7 games. Not that I really dislike Miami or whatever, but I'm pulling for the Mavs to win it all. I just like the Mavs and Cuban is a great owner, IMO. And hey, at least it won't be San Antonio or the the Lakers again.

KevB
06-05-2006, 09:03 AM
If Rip Hamilton couldnt slow down Wade what makes people think that ANYONE on the Mavs is going to. I Wouldnt be surprised if the Heat win it 4-0, but I will say 4-2 just because of home court etc....

Josh Howard is a better defender than Rip Hamilton, by far. I still think DWade gets his, but Howard could slow him down.

On the flip side, who in the heck is going to stop Dirk, the hottest player in the league right now? Antoine Walker? That should be fun to watch. What's the record for most points in a finals game?

Predarat
06-05-2006, 09:55 AM
I think it will be Dallas. Mark Cuban deserves it for all hes done. He is like having a fans owner. Maybe he will celbrate by buying the Royals!

alpha_omega
06-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Heat in 6

58-4ever
06-05-2006, 10:02 AM
I think it will be Dallas. Mark Cuban deserves it for all hes done. He is like having a fans owner. Maybe he will celbrate by buying the Royals!

He's a lifelong Pirates fan and has inquired about buying them many times. That's almost as painful, if not more so, than being a Royals fan.

DaKCMan AP
06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Josh Howard is a better defender than Rip Hamilton, by far. I still think DWade gets his, but Howard could slow him down.

On the flip side, who in the heck is going to stop Dirk, the hottest player in the league right now? Antoine Walker? That should be fun to watch. What's the record for most points in a finals game?

It'll probably be Haslem and Posey getting work Dirk. No one is going to stop him, just like no one is going to stop Wade or Shaq. It's whose surrounding players are going to make the difference.

Go Heat.